I Don't Support the Troops

Reaction score
Three years after President Smirky McFlightsuit stood on the deck of the USS Abe Lincoln under a giant banner reading "mission accomplished", and 2400 dead service men and women later we are still fighting for "freedom" in Irag. I'm afraid that we have embarked on an unwinnable war for which there is no conceivable end. I can no longer seperate my love of my country from my disdain for what our military is doing. I can no longer support the troops.

Chris

Well I am glad those troops and all the ones that came before them(yes I do fall in that category as a VFW) gave you the chance to actually say that or type it out loud....believe it or not there are places you would still be persecuted and killed for making remarks about the leader....but as some one who has helped keep the freedom you are enjoying let me enjoy mine for a min and say if you dont like it dont let the door hit you on the ass. Sorry but if you knew anything about the military and those people over there they dont have a choice in the matter and deserve our support no matter what we think about the people in charge or the situation over there. I will always support the troops even if I did not support the President or the War.

Tempted as I am to just lay it on the line, in such a way that probably just infuriate a bunch of people, I'll resist that temptation and say - Chris, I'm with you 100%.

And for the record, I'll third what is said about supporting our troops, since they of all people could use our love, and our prayers, right about now.

Our misguided administration, however, and this Phoney War, are a disgrace to everything American!!! They more than anyone need Wisdom and the Voice of Reason, therefore, they too deserve our prayers.

Most of all, it is UN Support (in this case, via prayers for empowerment, and the sending of Love, as well as the continued education of an often apathetic populace) upon which we should focus ...

taijasi

G-d Bless our whole world....no exceptions.

I wish the troops weren't there. But as G-d is in all things, somehow in this as well.

Too bad we created Sadam and Osama in the first place.... as long as the US foreign policy includes 'the enemy of my enemy is my allie' then we will continue to create these ventures in the future...and continue to send off our sons to kill other sons...

Any President who claims to love his troops wouldn't put them into harm's way by placing them in a conflict based upon faulty, cherry-picked intelligence, no ties to 9/11, no weapons of mass destruction (actually they were there in the past b/c the U.S. gave them the weapons to defeat the Iranians during the Iran/Iraq war but the WMD's have been gone for years and the U.N. has been saying that all along) and without a proper exit strategy or proper troop levels. Why this President hasn't gone on a perp-walk and isn't sitting in a jail cell is mind-boggling to me.

I love our troops and the best way to love them is to not have them die unnecessarily. That is all they ask of us.

China Cat Sunflower said:
Three years after President Smirky McFlightsuit stood on the deck of the USS Abe Lincoln under a giant banner reading "mission accomplished", and 2400 dead service men and women later we are still fighting for "freedom" in Irag. I'm afraid that we have embarked on an unwinnable war for which there is no conceivable end. I can no longer seperate my love of my country from my disdain for what our military is doing. I can no longer support the troops.

Chris

That of course is your right Chris. I on the other hand, do support our troops. I've been there twice, and will go back again in a heart beat. One of my own sons is over there, and the other will be there in six months. They volunteered for the job on their own volition.

Regardless of what the media paints, the truth is that the common Iraqi and Afghani citizen does not want us to leave (not yet), as they struggle to learn just exactly what a democratic type system is, and how to make it work.

They do not want our type of governmental system, but they do want a version of it with Middle eastern flavor, but getting the basics of democracy understood and in place takes time.

If we were to withdraw right now, the impact and ramifications resulting would be tremendous and felt around the world. Siriya, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Lebanon would go in and tear Iraq to pieces. Kuwait would become a smear on the map. The US could forseeably be crippled economically, due to the severe energy shortage we would have to deal with, and the flatlining of the Dollar's value.

Our children's future would be questionable at best.

By stating your non-support of the troops, you add insult to the injuries and deaths of our young men and women who sacrificed themselves. You may not care for the decisions made by our government, but I find it harsh and calloused to critisize the soldiers, sailors and airmen who represent you and me, fighting for our way of life to continue.

They don't make the political decisions, the government does, and the military carries out the orders. The governemt is a body of the people, by the people and for the people. So the true blame lies with you and me, and every one who voted for that government.

If you think you don't have the power to change our government, you have forgotten about the governor of California being recalled overwhelmingly a few years ago. And there was nothing he could do to stop it (though he tried like hell).

No, my friend, it isn't the troops' fault or the government representitives' fault...it is Joe Citizens's fault.

We may have lost 2400 military souls over three years, but we lost over 3000 innocent civilian souls in little over three hours a few year back. The Iraqis and Afghanis have lost over 35,000 innocent civilian souls, by their own ethnic peers.

I know you once stated that you write what you think at the moment, and such is subject to change at any given time later, but once words are spoken or written and are read or heard by others, they can't be taken back.

And Let me tell you something, my friend. Words can damage and destroy quicker and more thuroughly than any bullet or bomb. The fastest way to demoralize a military man, is to be condemned by his own people. Yet they still struggle to do the job, and protect the very citizen that condemned them.

my thoughts

v/r

a military man, and fiercely proud father of two military sons...

I wish that events had worked out differently and had allowed a peaceable solution to the situation in Iraq, but they didn't. And despite this, I still support our troops. I live very close to an air force base and many of my neighbors are in the military. They are my friends and I want them to come home safe. I appreciate that they put their lives on the line for me everyday.

We can support the troops and not the war. The troops are not to blame. I agree with Q.

China Cat Sunflower said:

Chris

HAHAHA!!! President Smirky McFlightsuit is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. If you came up with that one you need to do some professional stand-up. I would buy a ticket.
:)

Quahom1 said:
They [the troops] don't make the political decisions, the government does, and the military carries out the orders. The governemt is a body of the people, by the people and for the people. So the true blame lies with you and me, and every one who voted for that government.

If you think you don't have the power to change our government, you have forgotten about the governor of California being recalled overwhelmingly a few years ago. And there was nothing he could do to stop it (though he tried like hell).
I follow your logic from start to finish, Q, and basically I agree with you/it ... however, the breakdown occurs in the part I highlighted. This government ceased to do its job properly a long time ago, imo, and for more than 6 years we've been under rogue leadership - wherein "for the people" is a totally empty, meaningless phrase.

The president's approval rating has hit an all-time low; as CBS puts it:
"Only 33 percent approve of his job performance, Mr. Bush's lowest approval rating yet in CBS News polls. A majority – 58 percent of those polled – say they disapprove of the president." (May 1, 2006 article)​
As for the war ... (same source)
MR. BUSH’S HANDLING OF IRAQ

Approve
blue.gif
30%
Disapprove
blue.gif
64%

And another useful poll result:
DIRECTION OF THE COUNTRY

...................... Now ... 3/2006 ... 10/2005 ... 4/2005​
Right direction ... 24% .... 28% ........26% ........ 32%
Wrong track ...... 71 ...... 66 .......... 69 ........... 62

[FONT=Courier New,Courier New]Seeing the trend here, folks? ;) [/FONT]

Indeed, let's Bring the Boys Back Home ... ALIVE ....

Maybe if we cleaned up our country, fed our own homeless, reduced our military spending, gave every willing & able body a JOB, and took the same measures here to guarantee "free & fair elections" which we seem so concerned about in Iraq ... maybe just maybe we wouldn't look like such damn hypocrites to the rest of the world!

You'll find 8,039 individual posts here by people who apparently feel the same way: http://www.sorryeverybody.com. Have a quick glance at #8039 ... especially those with military background/interest/inclinations. That man (and others) does indeed make me proud to be an American, and proud of the US Armed Forces.

'Nuff said. :cool:

pacifist, peacenik prayers,

taijasi
[FONT=Courier New,Courier New]

[/FONT]

To be clear...I wish we wouldn't have gone...

But we did, and we can't leave. It would be a bigger shame to leave the country in a mess.

During the first gulf war after we took out military, gov't, and infrastructure targets we went after sewage treatment plants and the water supplies.

During the sanctions we wouldn't allow parts to fix these as they could have also been used as parts for weapon manufacture...

We effectively set that country back further than Sadam moved it forward...not to mention encouraging the south to revolt against gov't and then leaving them high and dry for slaughter..

We owe it to the people and the world to get that country back on its feet...to late to not give them a chance...with the right work over the next few years this could be a shining star of achievement in a couple of decades.

An aside, how come we can build pipelines, oil refineries, and drill wells over there in a couple years...but haven't been able to do the same here for two decades? We don't care about red tape and our enviorenmentalists aren't concerned about over there...but are about the artic circle? I'm so confused.

taijasi said:
I follow your logic from start to finish, Q, and basically I agree with you/it ... however, the breakdown occurs in the part I highlighted. This government ceased to do its job properly a long time ago, imo, and for more than 6 years we've been under rogue leadership - wherein "for the people" is a totally empty, meaningless phrase.

The president's approval rating has hit an all-time low; as CBS puts it:
"Only 33 percent approve of his job performance, Mr. Bush's lowest approval rating yet in CBS News polls. A majority – 58 percent of those polled – say they disapprove of the president." (May 1, 2006 article)​
As for the war ... (same source)
MR. BUSH’S HANDLING OF IRAQ

Approve
blue.gif
30%
Disapprove
blue.gif
64%

And another useful poll result:
DIRECTION OF THE COUNTRY

...................... Now ... 3/2006 ... 10/2005 ... 4/2005​
Right direction ... 24% .... 28% ........26% ........ 32%
Wrong track ...... 71 ...... 66 .......... 69 ........... 62

[FONT=Courier New,Courier New]Seeing the trend here, folks? ;) [/FONT]

Indeed, let's Bring the Boys Back Home ... ALIVE ....

Maybe if we cleaned up our country, fed our own homeless, reduced our military spending, gave every willing & able body a JOB, and took the same measures here to guarantee "free & fair elections" which we seem so concerned about in Iraq ... maybe just maybe we wouldn't look like such damn hypocrites to the rest of the world!

You'll find 8,039 individual posts here by people who apparently feel the same way: http://www.sorryeverybody.com. Have a quick glance at #8039 ... especially those with military background/interest/inclinations. That man (and others) does indeed make me proud to be an American, and proud of the US Armed Forces.

'Nuff said. :cool:

pacifist, peacenik prayers,

taijasi
[FONT=Courier New,Courier New]

[/FONT]

Hi Taj,

There are 300,000,000 people in the United States, 170,000,000 of them with the power of the vote. Polls are samplings of less than 1/10th of one percent of the voting public, and are subjective (to say the least). In 2004, the public voted, and the majority as well as the electoral votes put the people we have in government where they are.

That my friend is not the government's fault.

While the United States reduces its military spending as you suggest, bear in mind that China has quadrupled its military spending, and is amassing a 20,000,000 man military. Pakistan and India are now nuclear. Iran and North Korea are hell bent and determined to become nuclear, and intend to be able to "reach out and touch someone", namely US.

Venezuala has gone renegade and owns one of the biggestest oil export Companies in the world (Exxon). Bolivia has taken over the natural gas and oil fields in its land, that were developed by, you guessed it - US investors.

If we lose the oil we need, or if those less than friendly to the US get control of that oil, we will be paying 5-10$ per gallon of gas, that will crush our economy. We do not have the mass transit infrastructer that Europe has. We don't have the land or climate to grow sugar cane as an alternate fuel source like Brazil. We don't have enough land to grow the amount of corn we'd need to make the fuel we need to sustain our current standard of living. We do not have the refining capacity we need to sustain our current economic state, we do not have Nuclear power sufficient enough to take some of the burden off (all because no one wants it in their back yard).

Russia can not account for One percent of it nuclear arsenal (that is one percent of 6000 known war heads).

No country in this world ever survived as an independent entity by being passive (Tibet comes immediately to mind). The only thing keeping Taiwan from being annexed by China is Taiwan's willingness to fight to keep their way of life, and the US's promise to back Taiwan up.

This isn't a political war we are fighting Taj. This is literally a war for our survival. I'm afraid however, that it is going to take an American city being destroyed, or the bread belt being contaminated, or our drinking water to be made toxic, for some people to wake up and realize, this is for keeps.

As far as feeding our homeless, lowering our unemployment, etc., this country has one of the lowest homeless rates for an industrialized nation of our size. Our unemployed rate is at 4.8% (compared to France and Germany's rate of 10 to 15%). The US worker takes the least amount of vacation time (less than 10 days per year on average), compared to the 45 to 60 days in European countries. The US worker puts in an average of 45 to 65 hours a week, compared to 35 hours in same said European countries.

We can't afford to become isolationists, can't afford to withdraw our ties with the rest of the world, and can't afford to back down.

I find it ironic that the media conveniently fails to present the reality that is about strike the US hard. I'm also surprised that you of all people are not aware of the depth and scope of our situation.

my thoughts

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
I find it ironic that the media conveniently fails to present the reality that is about strike the US hard. I'm also surprised that you of all people are not aware of the depth and scope of our situation.
My awareness of the depth and scope of things, however limited, includes the belief that we are caught in a very, very nasty vicious cycle here. I think Groundhog Day accurately depicts what we're up against, except Bill Murray isn't just you and me, he's US. And while I certainly mean the good ol' US of A, I also mean US everyone, as in, THE WORLD. Each day on the old ticker is a civilization painstakingly built up from the dust ... or at least, from the fragmentary remnants of the preceding one, which obviously didn't get it quite right (otherwise, today would be tomorrow already! :p ).

As Douglas Adams foreshadows, Earth/Deep Thought is this close to fulfulling the very Purpose for which she was created (okay, at least the next stage of that purpose) ... and the gal in the pub has just now received the proverbial lightbulb glowing over her head, as Revelation hits! The question is, will we be able to stop the Vogons (hint hint: they aren't from "out there" after all - they're right here) in time, or will Arthur need to find his friend FORD and grab ahold of the thumb!?! :confused:

My money is on such four-letter words as HOPE and LOVE, but there's a buncha guys who already have their fingers on buttons of their own, and they read BOMB and $$$$.

Such major players as apathy, materialism, Goodwill, Education, and "Hundredth Monkey phenomenon" are all weighing in at this time, but anyone with a brain has long ago realized - that the CHIMP is not in charge!!! :D

How's that for cryptic and crazy? :p

cheers,

andrew

Last night I was watching the military channel and a show came on called Iraq: Frontline ER.. I watched it and I was in tears.. a tv crew was given 20 hours filming rights on Balad AFB to film the trauma ER.. their hospital on base consists of tents and sandbags.. during the 20 hours 30 trauma cases were seen and every single one of them were from IED's (improvised explosive device-basically pipe bombs) So 2400 deaths.. how many of those were from these homemade devices that were made with the intent to kill.. These 30 trauma cases.. how many of them were 19 years old and just recently sent overseas? As Im watching a 20 yo young man with a wife and young child at home have his leg amputated all im thinking is what the heck do we do??

How do you fight an enemy that uses methods like this.. I think we are clueless.. I think its like Viet Nam where our men were fighting another unseen enemy on unknown territory.. Its not possible to fight back.. your basically a sitting duck..

Watching this show also brought back a memory for me and also reminded me of this thread.. A story my dad told me.. My Dad did 3 tours in Viet Nam.. He was in the Airforce and didnt see much combat.. he was an airplane mechanic.. After returning home after one of his tours and just in time to see my birth he in his uniform happened to walk through a protest at the bus station where he was spit upon and called baby killer. The same mentality Im seeing here.. ppl choosing to not support their troops..

So yes Im embarrassed and ashamed.

My dad died of cancer when I was 12 .. most of the ppl I see in my dads pictures that were taken in viet nam have died... In fighting an unseen enemy on unknown territory our governmet tried to even out the playing field and sprayed the area with Agent Orange to thin out the foliage... not knowing the lasting effects.. what methods do you think our government could use to even out the playing field in Iraq??

Rather than voicing the tripe posted about our government and its leaders I would think our time would be better spent praying fervently that this be resolved as quickly as possible..

I believe I understand where you're coming from, Faithful. You might be surprised at the ways in which some of us are still affected by Vietnam, btw. It is largely because of this, and because I see it happening all over again, that I feel the way I do.

And yes, the sooner we can stop the madness, death and destruction, the better. But Q is right. The problem runs deep ... :(

andrew

The problem runs way down deep. There are a lot of agendas and one war. It takes guts to be in the military right now, because I tell you, I don't have the guts to do it. It takes a special kind of person to do something like that, I say that because not through an expression of fear but I don't believe that was my calling. I have a dear loved one in the military who agrees with how I feel about the misconduct, but all the same, he is a Marine and he has a duty that he will not back down from. That takes real guts.

No. I do not agree with what is going on with this war. I think it is conniving, even. But this nation has a military and for all the people that reside in the USA, we need a pretty big military. Somebody has got to do the job. I wouldn't want anybody telling me that they aren't going to support me because I have chosen to study religion comparatively instead of just studying Christianity. I support the troops. I don't support this wacky business of wars because we don't like what somebody else is doing and how they are doing it.

Faithfulservant said:
Last night I was watching the military channel and a show came on called Iraq: Frontline ER.. I watched it and I was in tears.. a tv crew was given 20 hours filming rights on Balad AFB to film the trauma ER.. their hospital on base consists of tents and sandbags.. during the 20 hours 30 trauma cases were seen and every single one of them were from IED's (improvised explosive device-basically pipe bombs) So 2400 deaths.. how many of those were from these homemade devices that were made with the intent to kill.. These 30 trauma cases.. how many of them were 19 years old and just recently sent overseas? As Im watching a 20 yo young man with a wife and young child at home have his leg amputated all im thinking is what the heck do we do??

How do you fight an enemy that uses methods like this.. I think we are clueless.. I think its like Viet Nam where our men were fighting another unseen enemy on unknown territory.. Its not possible to fight back.. your basically a sitting duck..

Watching this show also brought back a memory for me and also reminded me of this thread.. A story my dad told me.. My Dad did 3 tours in Viet Nam.. He was in the Airforce and didnt see much combat.. he was an airplane mechanic.. After returning home after one of his tours and just in time to see my birth he in his uniform happened to walk through a protest at the bus station where he was spit upon and called baby killer. The same mentality Im seeing here.. ppl choosing to not support their troops..

So yes Im embarrassed and ashamed.

My dad died of cancer when I was 12 .. most of the ppl I see in my dads pictures that were taken in viet nam have died... In fighting an unseen enemy on unknown territory our governmet tried to even out the playing field and sprayed the area with Agent Orange to thin out the foliage... not knowing the lasting effects.. what methods do you think our government could use to even out the playing field in Iraq??

Rather than voicing the tripe posted about our government and its leaders I would think our time would be better spent praying fervently that this be resolved as quickly as possible..

Then I would hope you pray like crazy for me and mine and for you and yours, and for our country, and our people. Because whether we pull out or not...this isn't going to stop on its own. Any back peddling we do, will be seen as a sign of weakness, and an invite to just come on over and wreck havoc here. You are correct this is like no enemy we have ever dealt with before. And they will never stop until their objective is met.

I have to laugh at the irony. Revelations stated there would come a day when "mighty nations" will give in to the small ones, because they have no heart or stomach for the treachery, and the small nations will declare they are mightier...they will be proud and haughty, and bold in their endeavors. They will scoff at the powers on earth and declare them weak...then the real battle will begin.

Do you realize that besides Great Britian, our only physically supportive allies in this war are Poland and Japan? I don't count a thousand Canadian or Australians or whomever as much support, the the UN is no where to be seen, And the entire middle east is watching very closely to see what we will do. Some with pleading eyes, and others with absolute hatred, mixed with fear.

This is one war America (and we are nearly alone), absolutely can not afford to lose...

For one moment in time, the US is a pivotal point, who's actions will determine the next chapter in this world.

You bet this is scary stuff. But you best believe a good number of earth wants to see us lose, tuck tail and run, while the rest watches with bated breath. That will open the door (flood gates) to a world I shudder to think about.

If we can't stand up to the evil that has been unleashed, who can (shy of Godly intervention)?

And you are right Taj, this is deep, deeper than anything we've ever had to delve into, before.This is no Vietnam...

my thoughts

v/r

Q

Back