question for Christian Theology

Hi Flow -

Before a 'calm and rational discussion' can take place, one has to make an honest attempt to get to the truth of the matter.

And sometimes, exasperation just grows too much...

I think Dor, like others before him, has finally grown tired of the same old nonsense being pushed as 'history' and 'fact' when what is expressed is invariably the common and superficial understanding of the processes involved, and one that is populist and put forward by those with an agenda against any notion of 'authority', 'institution', etc.

In short, the 'questionable' doctrines have been shown to be taught from the very outset, the Creed, for example, can be traced to the first century ... there is more archeological evidence - according to non-Christian sources - to support the truth of the existence of a man called Jesus Christ than there is to support Buddha, or even Mohammed, and yet every other alternative is proposed - and embraced - rather than the most obvious and most reasonable.

On these pages Christ has been a Buddhist, a Daoist, a this, a that ... based on nothing but idle speculation and the testimony of proven frauds - and utterly ignoring a teaching so profoundly Jewish it staggers one to think how anyone can entertain such a notion.

Whenever someone shouts 'Constantine' or 'Nicea' and 'Catholic Church' we know that history is on the way out of the window. There was no 'Roman Catholic Church' in any real sense until the schism with the East had solidified some centuries later, and the Church as such possessed nothing like the power and authority which everyone seems to endow her, according to the popular myth she crushes all opposition with a rigour and effectiveness that the KGB in its heyday would have gasped at! According to history she was persecuted, hated and ridiculed...

And yet Councils long after Nicea refuted Roman emperors and rejected any attempt to enforce political opinion upon them?

Or that the last pope to be martyred was killed by the 'Holy Roman Emperor' for refusing to cease discussions on topics of theology which didn't coincide with what the emperor believed? (The Typos of Constans II)

I would advise 'Early Christian Doctrines' by JND Kelly (Continuum Books) for the serious scholar, but it's dry reading if you're looking for more evidence of perfidy.

Newman, in his journey from Anglicanism to Catholicism, noted that if the Fathers appeared today, only the Catholic Church would resemble the Church of their day.

One the other hand, the Arian Dispute very quickly sidelined Arius to an impotent bystander as politicians sought to further their own cause under the guise of 'truth' - thank God for the Council Fathers who withstood the temptations of wealth and power that was offered them!

Likewise, if Luther had listened to Ekk - a better Augustinian scholar than he was - and if his bowels had been in better working order - then he might not have unleashed the 'Reformation', certainly he lamented that in the hands of Calvin and Zwingli it went further than he ever intended - nor was he slow to unleash the army against the peasants who dared to treat his teaching as a clarion call to the cause of independence! Nor, might I add, did Luther ever preach against indulgences when his own house benefitted - only when the money was going out of Germany, to Rome, did the complaints arise.

Likewise, one grows bored of ill-informed opinion regarding the Office of the Inquisition - instituted to STOP secular authorities from the town mayor upwards burning so-called heretics at the drop of a hat. Did you know that for many, many years people asked to be tried by the office of the inquisition on the basis that they would received a fair and impartial hearing? (The Inquisition in Spain was subverted by a monarchy towards its own end, and then broadcast with much invention by a Protestant Netherlands in its fight for independence - this is what everyone assumes the totality of the Inquisition to be.)

And don't start me on the rubbish that's spouted about witch burnings ...
and before anyone jumps on me, will you bother to determine how many were burned by a Catholic court, and how many by one of the Reformed churches?

And if anyone wants a discussion of real theology - how about the emergence of witchcraft in the wake of the 'stripping of ther altars' by the reformers - the people need their symbols, and if you take them away, they will find them elsewhere.

The recent affair of the Da Vinci Code and the Gospel of Judas just highlights how willing people are to embrace anything that knocks authority - do they become Judasian Christians? No. Da Vincian Christians? No. Do they become any sort of Christian? No - unless it's their own sort, a Christianity according to what they like and what they don't, a gospel according to fashion, fad and fancy. Do they listen to the voice of secular experts? No. Do they listen as fiction after fiction in the book is exposed. No.

To me it seems as if all they seek is that the Church is damaged ...

But of course, when a Catholic voices such stuff, no matter the historical evidence behind it, the cry goes up 'propaganda!'

Too much the Fox and his 'sour grapes', it seems to me.

I think Dor has reached that point when it seems that no-one's interested unless you affirm what they want to hear.

Thomas

Here's a question on Christian theology:

On what do people base the idea that just because they can read Scripture, they understand it?

I offer this with the added note that:

People rarely assume that on the basis of reading a book they are qualified to undertake experiments in particle physics, or open heart surgery (or whatever other arcane practice you care to think of - the internal combustion engine stumps me) - yet these are infinitely 'easier' subjects (being physics, not metaphysics).

Scripture itself implies that a key is required.

Thomas

Am I the only one confused by this conversation and the replies elicited by a rather straight-forward request for information?

I was looking forward to the responses as I too am interested in reading more Christian history and theology. I was hoping for titles and authors and perhaps a sentence or two about why the work is important or what you learned from it.

Instead there seems to be some kind of fight going on and I can't even tell why. :confused:

I appreciate all the the suggestions about good Bible resources, but really there must be some other writings out there to help one learn about the development of the Christian Church. I've read some work by modern Bible scholars. Now I'd like to hear what Christian theologians and historians have to say.

lunamoth

Great stuff Thomas and a start on what I'd like to hear. You've shown how wrong I got it...
I think Dor has reached that point when it seems that no-one's interested unless you affirm what they want to hear.
because it appeared exactly the other way around to me...funny thing about perception.
Whenever someone shouts 'Constantine' or 'Nicea' and 'Catholic Church' we know that history is on the way out of the window.
Seems like quite a broad generalization, do you think it is 100% accurate?

As I've reiterated, maybe I'm reading the wrong books, but I read a bunch of them...and you are saying there was no vote, there was no argument, and the councils meant nothing? You named a couple of books, do both of these have another view of what happened during the councils?
I agree. Unless one has ages to sit and contemplate each line...as many scholars spend their life on one or two books of the bible... But tis obvious any book I recomend will be shot out of the sky.

I've read some absolutely incredibly insightful interpretations from you, and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Thomas said:

On what do people base the idea that just because they can read Scripture, they understand it?

People rarely assume that on the basis of reading a book they are qualified to undertake experiments in particle physics, or open heart surgery (or whatever other arcane practice you care to think of - the internal combustion engine stumps me) - yet these are infinitely 'easier' subjects (being physics, not metaphysics).

Thomas

I'm find myself splitting the difference here as usual Thomas and everyone else.

First, sola scriptura does not make sense to me. It's too highly individualistic and too subjective. I actually think there are very few Christian denomination/sects what have you, including the non-denoms and restorationist movements, that are really really sola scriptura. I don't think you can get the Trinity doctrine, for example, from the Bible in isolation from Tradition. We've all learned this from the early orthodox Church. It's so ingrained that we can't read the Bible without seeing it, unless somehow we are retrained not to.

The Church is community, not just a bunch of individuals. Tradition connects us to each other and to Christians throughout history. This is not something to write off! We are a Body of believers and it is through our traditions and sacraments and liturgy that we form the ligaments that bind us.

On the other hand, as much as I appreciate Tradition, Church 'authorities' can unfortuantely be influenced by political goals. Thomas you've made a very good stand for the Catholic Church, and I would very much like to read more about the history of the Catholic Church, but I don't think that you can deny it has been humanly fallible and corrupt to various degrees throughout history. From where I see it that fallibility does not in any way negate or weaken the Church; I believe the Spirit guides it in spite of and even by using the corruptions when they occur, taking our mistakes and making them into something beautiful.

But sadly the authority of the Church has been used in the past as a bludgeon, and here in the USA anyway I see incidents where it still is. The recent example of the Catholic Church very publically denying communion to Kerry during the presidential campaigns really angered me. Not that the sola scriptura Christians were any better during the campaign in their promotion of President Bush and the politicing from the pulpits that was going on. Rats. I don't mean to derail this thread into politics, so just ignore the above. I respect the authority of a church in determining doctrine and theology, and in the shepherding of its adherants. But when it is used to punish and influence secular politics, rather than extend God's loving invitation, I just can't get on board.

lunamoth

littlemissattitude said:
I was interested to know your reasoning for including The Book of Mormon on this list.

I included the book of Mormon, because the Mormons consider themselves Christian, and the originator asked for a "theological perspective", on Christianity. The originator was not specific on denomination. Now that I think about it, I could have also included the apocrypha.

Theologians are a rather diverse group of scholars, and their thoughts varied.

That's all. ;)

v/r

Q

I have found that Mormon beliefs are unique, and yet in tune with traditional interpretive beliefs found in both the NT and OT.

It is also interesting to note that the primary tenet of the Book of Mormon, that there were remnants of the twelve tribes of the Hebrews extant in the Americas before modern discovery of the lands, have been tantalizingly indicated to be posssibly true when one considers the matters of Kennewick and Spirit Cave man, and also the discovery in Tennessee of rock fragments inscribed with ancient Hebrew lettering.

The latter discovery was made known in the respected periodical, Biblical Archaeology Review some years ago. But of course there wasn't a peep about it in the corporate-owned media. There are also discoveries being made about archaic habitations existing in North and South America dating to long before the long-accepted theory of land bridge migration from Eurasia was supposed to have taken place. Some of these discoveries are being explored at present in the Carolinas, Pennsylvanis, Virginia, Brazil, Venezuela, and on the west coast of the United States.

IMO, we are about to see some long-held and accepted theories about human origins in the new world overturned by evidence emerging in many locations. This might give new impetus to some of the articles of faith that the Mormons have long held, and I might add, have been ridiculed and punished for over the past 150 years.

flow....:)

Thomas said:

Scripture itself implies that a key is required. Thomas

Ah, the old "gatekeeper" mentality. Well, I don't entirely disagree, and I would add: what makes people think they can do their own home improvement projects just because they watch those shows on TV? You've got to be aware of your own limitations. Some things should be left to the experts, but OTOH, don't be a puss. You can do your own repairs, just don't get in over your head. I understand what you're saying. You're going to be a professional theologian, so you don't want amatuers cutting in on your turf. I feel the same way as a professional carpenter. I'm not going to just give my hard earned trade secrets away.

You can read the Bible in plain English and understand it just fine. But, and I'm just saying this for me, you have to be aware when you're just accepting the opinion of the "experts" at face value. We all rely on commentary. But faith doesn't necessarily imply just swallowing what the "Fathers" or anyone else has said.

Chris

Truth Seeker said:
Hello,
This is my first thread... [:eek: ]

The question at hand is:

In your honest opinion..
What are the best books, textbooks, or authors..
a Christian Theologian wannabe
should read for obtaining
an absolute understanding
of Christian Theology?

The question rephrased; If I wanted to become the ultimate Christian Theologian.. what books should I have in my personal library.. from most important to least important.. to know and understand?

Folowing the Truth wherever it may lead:)
I'm a student in theology at a Lutheran seminary and can give a batch of titles and authors that are required reading for us here but I rather doubt you want the whole list. I feel like I know very little about theology outside this one institution and what it teaches.

I have Strong's Concordance on my computer and would not want to be without it. The Bible they have chosen for its accuracy is New Revised Standard Version, but they say the Oxford Bible is just as good, and I've heard favourable references to the Anchor Bible. Strong's Concordance is based on the King James Version, so I keep that Bible handy for obvious reasons.

I looked again at your question. I don't think there is such a thing as an "absolute" understanding of Christian theology, or an "ultimate" theologian. It really is true that "the more you learn the more you know how little you know." It's not that you don't learn a heap of a lot of information; it's just that you find out to what depth things can be studied. And you realize the impossibility of ever becoming a "master" in more than one thing, or two at the very most. We are talking about the outer limits of human capacity. An ancient discipline like Christian theology is no exception.

To give you some idea of the different parts of theology, I will tell a bit about the program I am in. Our program is divided into several parts:

Biblical studies (including original biblical languages and biblical history and geography).Old Testament and New Testament each make up an individual part.

Systematic Theology
(which looks at what people believe about basic Christian doctrines and tenets)

Church History (covers the history of Christianity from the birth of Christ to the present day)

There are other ways in which to split up the different topics within the study of theology, but perhaps this gives you some idea as to how humungous a topic you are looking at. I don't know what area interests you most. I haven't taken New Testament yet and don't know for sure what texts will be used for it, but here are a few texts I read for my courses:

OT
Lawrence Boadt: Reading the Old Testament: An Introduction

Richard Elliott Friedman: Who Wrote the Bible

Harper Collins Study Bible New Revised Standard Version.
Contains extensive notes and also maps. I would strongly recommend this Bible if you are really serious about studying the Bible. I must mention that it takes what might be labeled a liberal approach. In other words, it accepts scientific findings as legitimate and explains the Bible accordingly. Study notes make up about half the book.

Systematic Theology

Douglas John Hall: trilogy Thinking the Faith, Professing the Faith, Confessing the Faith.

Hall wrote other good books, too. He will provide some balance to the conservative theologians that have been recommended. He is very sincere in his faith and I should mention that he believes fundamentalism is wrong. Throughout his trilogy he makes references to what he thinks are errors of fundamentalism.

Paul Tillich: Systematic Theology (1950s)

Church History

Michael Collins and Matthew Price: The Story of Christianity: A Celebration of 2,000 Years of Faith.

Includes maps. Illustrated.

Bart D. Ehrman is a good author on Early Christianity. I'm not sure that he is a Christian, in case that is important to someone.

If you're willing to go really extreme, I personally recommend Tom Harpur's The Pagan Christ. He makes the Jesus story out to be sacred myth, and provides his reasons.

RubySera_Martin said:
Bart D. Ehrman is a good author on Early Christianity. I'm not sure that he is a Christian, in case that is important to someone.
Bart Ehrman is just down the street from me, about an hour away at UNC Chapel Hill, if I remember correctly. I've seen him on numerous Discovery Channel or History Channel specials, and I appreciate his commentary. Just last night a friend mentioned him, and if I've got the right guy, he may have been involved with the translation of the Gospel of Judas. Or that might be another UNC scholar, not sure.

taijasi

taijasi said:
Bart Ehrman is just down the street from me, about an hour away at UNC Chapel Hill, if I remember correctly. I've seen him on numerous Discovery Channel or History Channel specials, and I appreciate his commentary. Just last night a friend mentioned him, and if I've got the right guy, he may have been involved with the translation of the Gospel of Judas. Or that might be another UNC scholar, not sure.

taijasi

The book I have by him is "After the New Testament: A Reader in Early Christianity." I read about him on another forum where people really liked his books. I also keep hearing references to him in the classroom. So this is very interesting. I've never heard of UNC. Does it stand for University of North Carolina or something like that??? I have no idea whether or not there is a university by that name--it's just a stab in the dark.

RubySera_Martin said:
The book I have by him is "After the New Testament: A Reader in Early Christianity." I read about him on another forum where people really liked his books. I also keep hearing references to him in the classroom. So this is very interesting. I've never heard of UNC. Does it stand for University of North Carolina or something like that??? I have no idea whether or not there is a university by that name--it's just a stab in the dark.
RubySera,

Yes, you are right-on. UNC CH, or just UNC, is one of the 16 branches of the UNC system of public institutions for higher education in NC. UNC CH is the oldest public University in America, and is fairly prestigious. The student body is over 30K, and there are plenty of experts there from whatever field once can imagine - Law, Religion, the various Sciences, etc. Their website is www.unc.edu ... and its my alma mater (Info & Library Science, 1996). :D

Duke University, privately funded and perhaps even more prestigious, is in Durham, NC, right nextdoor to UNC. A good handful of scholarly experts on various aspects of Christian history could also be found at Duke - and these, too, are often featured on TV specials. J.B. Rhine, who was THE expert in parapsychology for several decades, established his research labs at Duke, and though it has moved off-campus, the center still remains in Durham, NC.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand ...

regards,

taijasi

Your university situation sounds a great deal like in this city. I did my BA in a school with around 23,000 students and am now down the street from it where enrollment is much smaller. I don't think I've heard a number but it seems like about a third of the size. With students coming from all over the world, the city's population changes drastically during the academic year. I like really big schools because of the variety of programs offered.

Let's see how all of this ties in with the topic of this thread--it probably doesn't. Except that I was introduced to religious studies at these universities and ended up in theology where I feel very much at home.

RubySera_Martin said:
Let's see how all of this ties in with the topic of this thread--it probably doesn't. Except that I was introduced to religious studies at these universities and ended up in theology where I feel very much at home.
RubySera,

It definitely ties in, insofar as Duke University's Divinity School is fairly well-known. That of Wake Forest University (another private school, Baptist affiliation), just 30 minutes west of me (Duke/UNC are to the east) is perhaps better known.

Bart Ehrman's page at UNC is here, and his own personal website is here. It looks like his name is attached to about 20 scholarly works on Jesus and the Gospels. Amazon.com presents the following in the description of one of Ehrman's works:
"In Lost Christianities, Bart D. Ehrman offers a fascinating look at these early forms of Christianity and shows how they came to be suppressed, reformed, or forgotten. All of these groups insisted that they upheld the teachings of Jesus and his apostles, and they all possessed writings that bore out their claims, books reputedly produced by Jesus's own followers. Modern archaeological work has recovered a number of key texts, and as Ehrman shows, these spectacular discoveries reveal religious diversity that says much about the ways in which history gets written by the winners."
Another, similar work, looks interesting to me - Amazon's description being similar:
"We may think of the twenty-seven books of the New Testament as the only sacred writings of the early Christians, but this is not at all the case. Lost Scriptures offers an anthology of up-to-date and readable translations of many non-canonical writings from the first centuries after
Christ--texts that have been for the most part lost or neglected for almost two millennia.
Here is an array of remarkably varied writings from early Christian groups whose visions of Jesus differ dramatically from our contemporary understanding."
Yes indeed, as Dr. Ehrman holds the following degrees and academic accomplishments, he is definitely a `scholar' in my book:
  • Ph.D. Princeton Theological Seminary (magna *** laude), 1985
  • M.Div. Princeton Theological Seminary, 1981
  • B.A. Wheaton College, Illinois (magna *** laude), 1978
Folks who have seen any of the following TV shows might have seen him:
  • “Lost Christianities,” National Public Radio (Fresh Air; State of Things; half a dozen other local NPR stations)
  • “The Historical Jesus,” National Public Radio (Talk of the Nation)
  • “The Mystery of Jesus,” CNN.
  • “Pagans and Christians,” Soundings. National Public Radio.
  • “The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture.” Soundings. National Public Radio.
  • “Who Wrote the Bible?” “Mysteries of the Bible,” A & E Network.
  • “The Last Days of Jesus,” “Mysteries of the Bible,” A & E Network.
  • “Judas Iscariot,” History Channel.
  • “The New Testament,” Opus TV (Wales)
But, is my own criteria for being scholarly, credible and "expert" that one simply has to appear on TV, or on TV often? Good god no! If that were all, the likes of Pat Robertson would somehow get included as a Christan scholar! :eek::p;)

cheers,

taijasi

Truth Seeker said:
Hello,
This is my first thread... [:eek: ]

The question at hand is:

In your honest opinion..
of Christian Theology?

The question rephrased; If I wanted to become the ultimate Christian Theologian.. what books should I have in my personal library.. from most important to least important.. to know and understand?

Folowing the Truth wherever it may lead:)
John Chapter 14 :)

Thomas said:
Likewise, if Luther had listened to Ekk - a better Augustinian scholar than he was - and if his bowels had been in better working order - then he might not have unleashed the 'Reformation', certainly he lamented that in the hands of Calvin and Zwingli it went further than he ever intended - nor was he slow to unleash the army against the peasants who dared to treat his teaching as a clarion call to the cause of independence! Nor, might I add, did Luther ever preach against indulgences when his own house benefitted - only when the money was going out of Germany, to Rome, did the complaints arise.

Hi Thoma, you make a lot of good points in your post, and I'm in agreement with you about nearly everything :)eek: ). I'm curious about your statements in this paragraph though, especially the first and last ones. I don't know what you mean by your first statement and would appreciate some elucidation. I certainly agree with you about your second and third statements, but coming from a family of "professional Lutherans" and having read several respected biographies of the man myself, I've never seen or heard anything (maybe understandably) about him not minding indulgences when his church got the money. I'd really like some cites on this.

And as long as Lutheranism has come up, hi, RubySera_Martin! Welcome to the boards. For a while I seriously considered attending a Lutheran seminary myself, so I'm curious where you are. If you don't want to post it publicly but don't mind telling me, feel free to PM me.

RubySera_Martin said:
I'm a student in theology at a Lutheran seminary and can give a batch of titles and authors that are required reading for us.... I feel like I know very little about theology outside this one institution and what it teaches. ....I looked again at your question. I don't think there is such a thing as an "absolute" understanding of Christian theology, or an "ultimate" theologian. It really is true that "the more you learn the more you know how little you know."....
Namaste RubySera, I think this speaks mountains. So many of us have spent years in a narrow field, and think it is the whole world. And often in some circles we are told not to go outside the field, the devil is out there. So when various ideas, viewpoints come into range they are like ducks in a shooting gallery...not given the time of day or any consideration, just shot out of the sky in a knee jerk reaction.

I have an immense desire to learn more, from all viewpoints, am willing to consider a variety of sources, and wish to understand the perspective or bias of every author.

Good Morning all.

The orginal question was (is):

"In your honest opinion..
of Christian Theology?

The question rephrased; If I wanted to become the ultimate Christian Theologian.. what books should I have in my personal library.. from most important to least important.. to know and understand?"
The originator did not ask for personal opinions as to how Christianity might be twisted, nor who has what education level...he asked for what books one should consider adding to one's personal library, (I presume the intent is to be a well read individual on the various facets of Christian thought. Pretty cut and dry actually. ;)

We are all "theologians" in a fashion as we are all searching for answers, all have opinions, and all have studied more or less on the concept of Christianity. Most of us agree, that none of us have all the answers. However, it does not do anyone good to claim we have the where for all, and the rest is garbage.

When the idea of theology is brought up, then the issue becomes "based on my learning and experience", vs. "I've got the answers and everyone else is wrong".

The response IMO should be to others, "that is in interesting take on things, what books did you read and what experiences have you had to come to that conclusion?", as opposed to "You're all screwed up".

No one likes to be told they're all screwed up (that is vinegar). Asked how they come to such conclusions is an invite (that is honey).

my thoughts

v/r

Q

Turth Seeker said:
...for obtaining
of Christian Theology?

The question rephrased; If I wanted to become the ultimate Christian Theologian.

Just noticed this phrasing from the OP as quoted by Q. No wonder we're having difficulties here. Absolute? Ultimate?

As RubySara said: "It really is true that 'the more you learn the more you know how little you know.'..."

lunamoth

lunamoth said:
Just noticed this phrasing from the OP as quoted by Q. No wonder we're having difficulties here. Absolute? Ultimate?

As RubySara said: "It really is true that 'the more you learn the more you know how little you know.'..."

lunamoth

Damn, I missed that one too.

Back