What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

Discussion in 'Media' started by dauer, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro

It depends on the movie. I have difficulty with Japanese movies, especially anime. The same with a new-to-me Korean anime that I watched several weeks ago titled Noblesse.

What I dislike is when I'm watching a movie/show that is in English (doesn't matter what dialect, except for ASL, which I don't "speak".)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

2. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai

The thing I noticed about subtitles, at least as far as Hindi films are concerned, is how inaccurate they are sometimes. Granted, there is no direct English translation for some phrases, but very often the subtitles aren't even close.

3. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Ditto with Japanese films. It's even more difficult when dealing with a different dialect (like Kansai, which is kinda like trying to figure out classic Minnie Pearl skits when English isn't your first or second language.) I had to explain a few jokes in an anime to a former professor whose first language was Russian and his second language was Ukrainian (English was his fourth, and he had no understanding of Japanese whatsoever.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

4. Namaste Jesus

Yeah, I get a big kick out of the ones that are dubbed into English. Their lips keep moving on the screen after the dub stops.

5. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Got back from another movie that could've used some subtitles even though it was in English (The Others starring Nicole Kidman.) Half the time you couldn't hear the dialog, the other half they were screaming.

Then, again, we could've used an automatic volume control that would raise it when the actors were basically whispering and lower it when they were shouting at the top/bottom of their lungs. It was frustrating, especially when some of the "audience" were talking about knitting or when the "host" was trying to control the volume manually.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

6. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Got back from X-Men First Class (bleh) and have started watching a live-action version of Black Butler (not much better imho.)

The worst thing about X-Men were the constant interruptions, then one of the people interrupting has the audacity to demand that we show it immediately from the beginning... Then, outside the community room, one of the other neighbors asked if I had any Percocet (I think that's how the drug's spelled.) Even if I did, I wouldn't give it to someone else. I couldn't get back to my furred managers fast enough.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

7. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Well it was rather an unimpressive movie. Best moment in the film is when young Xavier and Charles try to recruit Wolverine with predictable results.

StevePame likes this.
  8. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory in memory of the late Gene Wilder, who just passed away from complications of Alzheimer's. He was 83. I prefer his Willy Wonka over Johnny Depp's (Johnny Depp seems to lean more towards a "darker" characterization when it's not necessary imho.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

9. StevePame

StevePame Administrator Staff Member

Agreed. A very strange take on the character.

10. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Rock of Ages, 2012. I highly recommend skipping it. It was such a turkey that it would be perfect for American Thanksgiving dinner as the entrée (just my humble opinion.)

I'm kinda looking forward to next Thursday's movie (Young Frankenstein starring Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Marty Feldman and several others.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

11. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Meet the Parents was shown earlier this afternoon (I didn't find it funny) and Young Frankenstein this evening (it had its moments...) I'm skipping next week's movie (The Birds directed by Sir Alfred Hitchcock.) I might finding Noblesse or Grave of the Fireflies, perhaps some other anime instead...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

12. Namaste Jesus

Opps... Was trying to edit an earlier post and somehow reposted it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  13. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Apart from Gene Wilder, I'm a fan of Peter Boyle. I thought he was great fun in Steelyard Blues and had a role in The Friends of Eddie Coyle which I like, although can remember almost nothing about.

Someone told me to watch Wilder's Willy Wonka — according to him, Johnny Depp was doing a Michael Jackson impression in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, whereas Gene Wilder was playing someone who was psychotic! I'll have to watch it again, but Dahl disowned the movie, which is a shame ...

14. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Anybody into Hal Hartley? His Trust is one of my all time favourites, closely followed by Simple Men, with its awesome dysfunctional persons' choreography, seen here.

15. Namaste Jesus

Just watched, "Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani" -(Ajab Prem's Amazing Story) It's just your standard Bollywood romantic comedy, but there were a couple really hilarious scenes. The title character is Hindu and his girlfriend Christian. So he decides to ask Jesus for help moving their relationship along, but being Hindu he doesn't quite know how to go about it. He sits on the floor, palms together, elbows out, in front of a Jesus figure and begins to pray, "Ommmm, Jesus Gee...." My wife and I were in stitches! Later, in a rural area, he accepts a ride from a white man with long hair, a beard and a lamb. "Oh Jesus Gee, I didn't think you were going to come in person!"

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  16. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Babadook nice to watch a 'horror' flick that doesn't depend on the visceral ...

17. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

And watching Cleverman on TV, based on various strands of Aboriginal mythology ...

18. Aussie Thoughts

Aussie Thoughts Just my 2 cents

Went to an indie film screening last evening. Saw a short called, "The Holy Bastard" about a pompous London preacher who bullies parishioners into accepting his antiquated notions and trolls after and harasses those who don't. His pettiness comes to an abrupt halt when one parishioner discovers the secrets he has hiding in his closet. Always nice when a pompous twit gets his comeuppance.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  19. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I watched just twenty minutes of What About Bob?. I left before I did something illegal to the DVD and/or the community television.

Frank Oz is a much more talented director than the movie deserves, plus both Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss are much better actors/comedians than the material deserves.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

20. wil

wil UNeyeR1

On Netflix... Neerja... Story of the hijacking of Panama 73 in 86...from Bollywood..

I recall the news stations being glued to the hours that plane spent in the tarmac...