Humans

YO-ELEVEN-11

Watcher
Reaction score
I just recently read a book that stated research shows that humans should have a life span of no less than 120 years.

The Book is called
Natural Cures “They” Don’t Want You To Know About
By Kevin Trudeau

In the bible, (Genesis 6:3) states
"Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

1. Is the bible right? :eek:

2. Do any other religions give an account of how many years a human should live? :confused:

3. Does science really have a grip on this aspect of our exsistence?:confused:

Any thoughts?:cool:

I'm reluctant to believe a book that had a daytime television infomercial for months. Or one, not to offend anyone, that uses Bible quotes to back dubious science.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. But those are my thoughts right off the bat.

Sarah

sara[h]ng said:
I'm reluctant to believe a book that had a daytime television infomercial for months. Or one, not to offend anyone, that uses Bible quotes to back dubious science.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. But those are my thoughts right off the bat.

Sarah

The book itself did not quote the bible. When I read his book the "120" years sounded familiar. So, being the curious type, I found the verse. The book only stated that research showed that humans should have a minimum life span of 120 years. It just struck me as odd that his statement about the research named exactly the amount of years the bible said.
:cool:

YO-ELEVEN-11 said:
I just recently read a book that stated research shows that humans should have a life span of no less than 120 years.

The Book is called
Natural Cures “They” Don’t Want You To Know About
By Kevin Trudeau

In the bible, (Genesis 6:3) states
"Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

1. Is the bible right? :eek:

2. Do any other religions give an account of how many years a human should live? :confused:

3. Does science really have a grip on this aspect of our exsistence?:confused:

Any thoughts?:cool:

You ready for this? Medical and biological Science has determined that a healthy human body (with a healthy state of mind), is "designed" to live for an "average" of 120 years. Few animals are "designed" to live as long (the Tortise, the African Gray, and Cockatuu)...what kills us early, is our environment and personal habits. :eek:

v/r

Q

I don't think you're going to find the secret to an extended life span on anybody's best seller list.

I have heard, on many different occasions, the idea expressed that humans "ought" to live to be 120 years old. Frankly, when I look at this figure I am moved quickly to the basic conclusion that 120 is just a nice rounded number that lies just barely beyond the final ages of our average centenarian. I will say that if there is real, hard evidence that a human being should not, in so-called "proper" conditions, live to less than 120 years, I have never heard of it. I have certainly heard many wild and vastly unsubstantiated ideas about it, though.

Ultimately, the number 120 is almost a given. Somebody asks, "How long can a man potentially live?" Somebody else thinks of the oldest person they heard of...a 103 year old. Another person has heard of a 112 year old. These people are the oldest we know of, so we use them as our model. From there, arriving at 120 is a mere matter of assuming that SOMETHING, SOMEWHERE along the way hurt their health in a permanent fashion. We add a few years to compensate for the misfortune and we arrive at a nice, round 120. Not too difficult to come up with off the top of one's head, really. This is a simple common sense deduction. We draw the theoretical line at around 120 years.

As far as 120 years being the amount of time we were "designed" to live, and which is out of reach based upon our "environment and personal habits", I would say that this is a somewhat dubious conclusion. An entire 120 years? Really?

First of all, there has been, at best, only a relative handful of people amongst a historical ocean of billions upons billions of humans that have lived to 120 years. So, it is most logical to assume that 120 years of life probably has much more to do with luck than with any course of life chosen by an individual. Perfectly healthy people -people healthy in body AND mind- still die at 60 or 70 or 80 or 90. There is no reason to believe they ought to be living to 120, anymore than there is reason to believe that they ought to have brown eyes.

Secondly, people have a tendency of interpreting religious texts very literally. Many examples can be found in various texts of antiquity, from philosophical to religious, explaining that man does not live an ideal life, and therefore his years are comparably substandard in number. Most of these texts, though, are referring not to the so-called "physical" world or the equally ambiguous "metaphysical" world. They are descriptions of states of consciousness...of conditions of the mind. The man that lives 120 years according to these texts, is a man that lives a remarkably complete life in a metaphorical sense, because in whatever number of years his physical body expires, he has lived as if he lived forever. In this case, the age of 120 is a symbolic expression of a life so contented that it is, symbolically speaking, "complete" and "whole"...lacking in nothing. No ACTUAL correspondence between this ideal and the physical world is necessarily part of the bargain.

After all, few of the sages and philosophers that wrote about such things had any hope of living that long themselves! For as much as people say "we don't live long because we don't live right", the fact of the matter is that the average human lifespan on this planet has gone nowhere but up since the times of our prehistoric ancestors. Ancient tribal humans certainly did not entertain the idea of living on for ages and ages, as they were quite contented to live long enough to have a family at the ripe age of 18 to 20. Even a mere 500 years ago, the average lifespan in most places was holding steady at somewhere between 30 and 60, or thereabouts.

In such times of human existence, the common sense deduction that one might live to 120 which we draw today would've seemed like pure fantasy! After all, how many examples of 100-plus year olds do you think existed then? They were so rare that they bordered on unheard of, plainly a work of myth.

I suppose my point is that if humans really were to live to 120 years, then how is it possible that in thousands of generations of life, in every walk of life, we have proven to be failures?! Ultimately, one comes to find that when people are questioned as to exactly how they live to 120 years of age, the answers they receive don't seem to have anything but vague generalizations concerning pseudo-religious beliefs and hack science. A person could starve themselves of all delightful food in favor of special herbs and an incredibly strict diet, but they might still die of a heart attack while munching on their greens and organic apples at the age of 50.

At best, one might say that "a human's biological potential, in a perfect world, is 120 years." In other words, if we could somehow live a life away from absolutely every danger and unrest of mind or body, we MIGHT live to be 120. Of course, none of us can do that. We even find that those who do, we call oftentimes agoraphobes...and the lifestyle of isolation they lead is usually not interpreted as "enjoyable", and certainly not as "healthy".

To examine a human being outside of his environment is to examine a creature that doesn't really exist. "We'd live to 120 BUT..." This is very misleading. There is, as far as science and civilization have found in the course of their lineages, no such thing as a human without a corresponding environment. Thus, every statement that claims that we live to 120 except for our environment is comparable to saying," If we lived outside of the world, we'd certainly live to 120 years." This isn't really saying much at all, because the edge of the world is liekly a fantasy devised by science-fiction writers. Not even physics or astronomy lays claim to discovering "the edge of the universe".

So, for the time being, we just have to accept that humans aren't "designed" to live to 120. That is, no more than the Universe is "designed" to circumvent this design. Everyone gets those 120 years in one way or another, but for some it goes by quicker than others.:)

jiii said:
I have heard, on many different occasions, the idea expressed that humans "ought" to live to be 120 years old. Frankly, when I look at this figure I am moved quickly to the basic conclusion that 120 is just a nice rounded number that lies just barely beyond the final ages of our average centenarian. I will say that if there is real, hard evidence that a human being should not, in so-called "proper" conditions, live to less than 120 years, I have never heard of it. I have certainly heard many wild and vastly unsubstantiated ideas about it, though.

Ultimately, the number 120 is almost a given. Somebody asks, "How long can a man potentially live?" Somebody else thinks of the oldest person they heard of...a 103 year old. Another person has heard of a 112 year old. These people are the oldest we know of, so we use them as our model. From there, arriving at 120 is a mere matter of assuming that SOMETHING, SOMEWHERE along the way hurt their health in a permanent fashion. We add a few years to compensate for the misfortune and we arrive at a nice, round 120. Not too difficult to come up with off the top of one's head, really. This is a simple common sense deduction. We draw the theoretical line at around 120 years.

As far as 120 years being the amount of time we were "designed" to live, and which is out of reach based upon our "environment and personal habits", I would say that this is a somewhat dubious conclusion. An entire 120 years? Really?

First of all, there has been, at best, only a relative handful of people amongst a historical ocean of billions upons billions of humans that have lived to 120 years. So, it is most logical to assume that 120 years of life probably has much more to do with luck than with any course of life chosen by an individual. Perfectly healthy people -people healthy in body AND mind- still die at 60 or 70 or 80 or 90. There is no reason to believe they ought to be living to 120, anymore than there is reason to believe that they ought to have brown eyes.

Secondly, people have a tendency of interpreting religious texts very literally. Many examples can be found in various texts of antiquity, from philosophical to religious, explaining that man does not live an ideal life, and therefore his years are comparably substandard in number. Most of these texts, though, are referring not to the so-called "physical" world or the equally ambiguous "metaphysical" world. They are descriptions of states of consciousness...of conditions of the mind. The man that lives 120 years according to these texts, is a man that lives a remarkably complete life in a metaphorical sense, because in whatever number of years his physical body expires, he has lived as if he lived forever. In this case, the age of 120 is a symbolic expression of a life so contented that it is, symbolically speaking, "complete" and "whole"...lacking in nothing. No ACTUAL correspondence between this ideal and the physical world is necessarily part of the bargain.

After all, few of the sages and philosophers that wrote about such things had any hope of living that long themselves! For as much as people say "we don't live long because we don't live right", the fact of the matter is that the average human lifespan on this planet has gone nowhere but up since the times of our prehistoric ancestors. Ancient tribal humans certainly did not entertain the idea of living on for ages and ages, as they were quite contented to live long enough to have a family at the ripe age of 18 to 20. Even a mere 500 years ago, the average lifespan in most places was holding steady at somewhere between 30 and 60, or thereabouts.

In such times of human existence, the common sense deduction that one might live to 120 which we draw today would've seemed like pure fantasy! After all, how many examples of 100-plus year olds do you think existed then? They were so rare that they bordered on unheard of, plainly a work of myth.

I suppose my point is that if humans really were to live to 120 years, then how is it possible that in thousands of generations of life, in every walk of life, we have proven to be failures?! Ultimately, one comes to find that when people are questioned as to exactly how they live to 120 years of age, the answers they receive don't seem to have anything but vague generalizations concerning pseudo-religious beliefs and hack science. A person could starve themselves of all delightful food in favor of special herbs and an incredibly strict diet, but they might still die of a heart attack while munching on their greens and organic apples at the age of 50.

At best, one might say that "a human's biological potential, in a perfect world, is 120 years." In other words, if we could somehow live a life away from absolutely every danger and unrest of mind or body, we MIGHT live to be 120. Of course, none of us can do that. We even find that those who do, we call oftentimes agoraphobes...and the lifestyle of isolation they lead is usually not interpreted as "enjoyable", and certainly not as "healthy".

To examine a human being outside of his environment is to examine a creature that doesn't really exist. "We'd live to 120 BUT..." This is very misleading. There is, as far as science and civilization have found in the course of their lineages, no such thing as a human without a corresponding environment. Thus, every statement that claims that we live to 120 except for our environment is comparable to saying," If we lived outside of the world, we'd certainly live to 120 years." This isn't really saying much at all, because the edge of the world is liekly a fantasy devised by science-fiction writers. Not even physics or astronomy lays claim to discovering "the edge of the universe".

So, for the time being, we just have to accept that humans aren't "designed" to live to 120. That is, no more than the Universe is "designed" to circumvent this design. Everyone gets those 120 years in one way or another, but for some it goes by quicker than others.:)

Sorry, I should have included that the 120 average life span is based on a series of genetic "switches" that turn on (or off), which stops the physical body from rejuvenating cells, to maintaining the status quo (from 45 to 75), to allowing a degredation of cellular refurbishment, after 75 to death. What causes premature "switch throwing", is the crap we expose ourselves to on a daily basis...:eek: :eek:

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Sorry, I should have included that the 120 average life span is based on a series of genetic "switches" that turn on (or off), which stops the physical body from rejuvenating cells, to maintaining the status quo (from 45 to 75), to allowing a degredation of cellular refurbishment, after 75 to death. What causes premature "switch throwing", is the crap we expose ourselves to on a daily basis...:eek: :eek:

v/r

Q

Technically known as "telomere degradation ". Telomeres are protein constructs that sit on the ends of our chromosomes. As they degrade over time, we degrade over time. Ugh !

flow....:(

Any thoughts?

Yeah. I wouldn't trust this Trudeau guy any farther than I can throw a piano with three full-grown elephants sitting on it. And, yes, I have seen some of his "infomercials". He's a con-man, pure and simple.

littlemissattitude said:
Any thoughts?

Yeah. I wouldn't trust this Trudeau guy any farther than I can throw a piano with three full-grown elephants sitting on it. And, yes, I have seen some of his "infomercials". He's a con-man, pure and simple.

How do you know he's con-man?
Did you read the book?
Why all the hostility against this man?
Did you get scamed by him?

YO-ELEVEN-11 said:
Does the book provide references to these studies?

I'm sure it makes for interesting reading, but I would advise you to look at such claims with some degree of skepticism.

Jaiket said:
Does the book provide references to these studies?

I'm sure it makes for interesting reading, but I would advise you to look at such claims with some degree of skepticism.

Actually it does. The book itself is not what you think it to be.
There are a lot of facts in there that can and have been proven to be true.

Having read it cover to cover, I was expecting one thing and after reading it, was quite surprised that it was not what I expected.

Con man, salesman....what is the difference....

Christianity had Paul....twas a valiant effort, and I would venture to say that many of his day thought him to be a con man.

I think this guy has a valid interest in natural thought and vitamins...but he also found a way to increase his bottom line, which increases his interest.

Capitalism, find or create a market and exploit it.

wil said:
Con man, salesman....what is the difference....

Christianity had Paul....twas a valiant effort, and I would venture to say that many of his day thought him to be a con man.

I think this guy has a valid interest in natural thought and vitamins...but he also found a way to increase his bottom line, which increases his interest.
Capitalism, find or create a market and exploit it.

Actually Wil, he covers that in his book (Vested interest).
I thinnk you would be surprised how open and honest he is.
I am one of the most skeptical people on the planet and I do ask alot of questions. Most of the questions I had about his motives were covered in his book.

Hi y'all--

I think I know who you are discussing. I've seen him on a couple of talk shows. Haven't read his book, but he caught my interest because a few years back (maybe more than just a few, but that makes me sound old and sometimes that makes me uncomfortable:)), I was involved in a campaign to keep a local herb farm and emporium open. This was not just on a local level; it was actually a national issue. I don't recall all of the details, but basically it was a dispute between those of us who felt our rights to certain natural remedies were being threatened and the big pharmeceutical companies. We lost that battle, and the herb farm closed down.

I see the need for safety regulations, but sometimes I think they go too far. Is this anywhere close to being on-topic?

InPeace,
InLove

InLove said:
I see the need for safety regulations, but sometimes I think they go too far. Is this anywhere close to being on-topic?
Tryptophan a natural sleep aide was taken off the market when a number of people died from the use of it. Of course they neglected to say that it wasn't the natural tryptophan that killed people...but one that was produced by a gmo...genetically modified organism.

Or how about Stevia which was banned because of its non caloric sweetening capability and the potential to rob the world of the questionably FDA approved aspartame? It is back on the market...but only as diet supplement, they can't call it a sweetener.

Or the study that showed that beta-carotene increased cancer risks in smoking....oops that wasn't beta-carotene but a synthetically produced one they tested...

How about that 35% of all couples are having infertility problems in the US? Couldn't be because of all the pesticides which are designed to make insects infertile...could it?

Or the hormones pumped into chickens in the 70's which those that had a platform said would lower the menstrual age and increase breast size in teens...that didn't happen....

Yes you are on target, and yes he and others like him have increased awareness....got a long way to go...and if it takes money to do it....so be it!

You know with all the preservatives we consume we should live to 240!

Back