12 planets

There are only eight notes in an octave. There are flats and sharps on the eight, but they are variations of the eight tones. Snoop, take it from a musician who deals with the stuff day to day. There are only eight notes.

v/r

Joshua

Don't use see the connection Sir? Eight notes in octave! eight tones! eight sharps and flats!! and eight planets! We're on to something, gonna be rich.

Don't use see the connection Sir? Eight notes in octave! eight tones! eight sharps and flats!! and eight planets! We're on to something, gonna be rich.

Actually sir there are eight sharps but only seven flats...but who is counting?;)

Snoop, take it from a musician who deals with the stuff day to day. There are only eight notes.

v/r

Joshua

Hi,

Maybe we're talking at cross purposes? Scale (various, Chromatic: 12 as per my link above)....Octave (8)...

s.

Hi,

Maybe we're talking at cross purposes? Scale (various, Chromatic: 12 as per my link above)....Octave (8)...

s.
Don't know Snoop. Do you play music (as in read it)? If so find me twelve notes. I've read music for 40 of my 45 years, and can't find twelve notes to save my life...

I must have missed a bus some where on the way to graceland...

p.s. I really hate when people think I don't know what I'm talking about, especially when I've lived it my whole life...that really is unsettling.

Don't know Snoop. Do you play music (as in read it)? If so find me twelve notes. I've read music for 40 of my 45 years, and can't find twelve notes to save my life...

I must have missed a bus some where on the way to graceland...

p.s. I really hate when people think I don't know what I'm talking about, especially when I've lived it my whole life...that really is unsettling.

Hi,

Please don't be unsettled. I play yes, but only badly. Have you looked at the link above or this one perhaps.

Musical scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know there's 8 notes in an octave as well (there's a clue in the name isn't there!) but scales are variable (see links). The common Western chromatic scale has 12 notes or tones.

s.

Why don't we just compose a twelve bar blues song?
I'll start off with the first lines:
Some people can't see the forest for the trees....
Yeah, them trees blind you to the forest
And some people dream to live like them pesky trees....
:cool: :D

Why don't we just compose a twelve bar blues song?

I'll start off with the first lines:
Some people can't see the forest for the trees....

Yeah, them trees blind you to the forest

And some people dream to live like them pesky trees....
:cool: :D

be more like:

some people can't see

the forres fr the tree

yeah them tree do blind

the forest fr the pine

and some folk do dream

to live like a tree

I got the pesky tree blues.....

baby got the pesky tree blues, yeah oahh

I'm gonna sing it to ya true

I got the pesky tree blues.......

wha haouah.

Like that? ;)

Hi,

Please don't be unsettled. I play yes, but only badly. Have you looked at the link above or this one perhaps.

Musical scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know there's 8 notes in an octave as well (there's a clue in the name isn't there!) but scales are variable (see links). The common Western chromatic scale has 12 notes or tones.

s.

been there, done that, bought the tee shirt.

"Scale vs. Scale Type. Sometimes the term "scale" refers to a specific ordered collection of pitches. For instance, the "C diatonic scale" contains the pitch classes C-D-E-F-G-A-B and no others, while the "G diatonic scale" contains the pitch classes G-A-B-C-D-E-F# and no others. However, the term "scale" is also used to refer to types of scale related by transposition. In this sense, musicians will talk about the diatonic scale, considering the C diatonic scale and G diatonic scale to be instances of a single, larger category. Consistency suggests distinguishing a "scale" (such as C or G diatonic) from "scale type" (the diatonic scale-type"). To avoid neologisms, however, we will follow traditional musical practice, using the term "scale" in both senses. Context should allow readers to distinguish between particular scales and the larger types to which they belong.
In addition, the term "scale" is used in psychoacoustics to refer to various ways of measuring distances between pitches. See bark scale and mel scale."

There is note/tone and there is pitch. There is no 12 note scale. If you play, then you will know when you experiment. Find the missing four notes :D

v/r

Joshua

Hmmm...I am a little confused, as well. Snoop--I couldn't make heads nor tails out of the math on the link, but then I am not really that good at math.

I would just like to say that notes and tones are not the same thing. There are actually 8 notes in a "western" octave, but many variations on each (don't forget the double flats and sharps!). But that is what we read, not what we hear. We actually hear 12 distiinct tones (and then thirteen if we "resolve" it--and of course "resolution" could arguably be in the ear of the beholder.:D)

But there are several different types of scales. Major, Minor, Melodic, Natural, Harmonic, Chromatic, Diatonic, Pentatonic, Hungarian Gypsy, and that's only the start. With advancing technology, we are able to identify tones and frequencies that are not apparent to most human perceptions. Just because we don't hear it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Anywho--now that I have cleared all that up :rolleyes:, may I suggest that any missing notes (I can't help it--I just gotta say it--not directed at anyone) are actually out there revolving around Uranus. :D

InPeace,
InLove

Hi,

"Musical sounds are composed of pitch, duration, and timbre. Pitch is determined by the sound's frequency of vibration, such as the note A which at modern concert pitch is defined to be 440 Hz. Tuning is the process of assigning pitches to notes. The difference in pitch between two notes is called an interval. The most basic interval is the octave; a note and another note with twice its frequency form an octave, and if the pitch with frequency 440 Hz is A, then the pitches with frequency 880 Hz, 1760 Hz as well as 220 Hz, 110 Hz, and 55 Hz are also A's. Notes can be arranged into different scales and modes. Diatonic notes of a scale may be considered avoid tones. In western music theory, the octave is divided into 12 notes, each called a half-step or semitone."

Music theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but please no more references to Uranus!!!:eek:

s.

Q,
You've even got me confused. :confused:

Every Good Boy Does Fine and I love to look at your FACE. There are sharps with every note but flats with only seven. Which note has no flat?

E G B D F A C E.

Come on sir, I was taught this in first grade. You know this.

v/r

Joshua

Well, we can talk about the differences between even temperament and mean temperament, and the wolf. :eek:

Here's the math and science behind it, to keep it in tune with the Science and the Universe Forum.

I was always under the impression that the order of sharps was FCGDAEB, and the order of flats was just the reverse BEADGCF.

Q--you are correct if you are referring to a C major scale. But C flat does exist in other keys.

Back