my posts do not appear....

garybeckwith

Truth is One.
Reaction score
admins/mods,

when I first joined this forum a few weeks ago everything was working fine. now, for the last 2 weeks, none of my posts (to the comparative studies section of the forum) have been showing up. I have sent an email to the admins twice and gotten no reply. Please, someone contact me and let me know why my posts are not showing up. it's frustrating to type a long message, usually to answer someone's questions, and have it disappear. I would like to engage in conversation with people. I wrote a book about comparative religion and I think I have some ideas to contribute. I don't think I have broken any rules. Please respond.

user: garybeckwith
thank you

admins/mods,

when I first joined this forum a few weeks ago everything was working fine. now, for the last 2 weeks, none of my posts (to the comparative studies section of the forum) have been showing up. I have sent an email to the admins twice and gotten no reply. Please, someone contact me and let me know why my posts are not showing up. it's frustrating to type a long message, usually to answer someone's questions, and have it disappear. I would like to engage in conversation with people. I wrote a book about comparative religion and I think I have some ideas to contribute. I don't think I have broken any rules. Please respond.

user: garybeckwith
thank you

Looks like somewhere along the line you tripped an automated moderation flag - probably by trying to post a link or too many posts in succession - I don't know what the triggers are... Looking through, I found your posts & cleared the flag on them.

The mods here are volunteers, and sometimes we aren't around and catching things like that - depending on who you e-mailed & how there's also the fun of spam filters at the ISPs to consider (my main address has had a lot of mail go missing because of the filters being set wrong by the ISP).

.... Bruce

Apologies for that - nothing received here, but unfortunately my CR email address is a huge target for spam at present.

Anyway, I've tried to make the spam filters less aggressive - hope that helps. :)

thanks folks. I did try to include URLs a couple times before I realized the restriction. hopefully I can shed my newbie status soon and I won't trigger any more flags. thanks again

gary beckwith

I have the same problem, most likely since I am new around here also. Not all my posts disappear, just one so far in the "Reincarnation and hell" thread I posted yesterday.

Unlike Garybeckwith, I am not smart enough to figure our how to email anyone.

What gets flagged? My post had the word "sex" in it somewhere (could have been another post), and "there is no God, but God". Or maybe "Osho", who I also mentioned, gets flagged. He was a controversial Indian Master who came to the US. Some of his followers were terrorists.

I am an old Mom, so I need to reassure a moderator that I am neither a predator nor a terrorist.

I love this forum. People are educated and scholarly, and the ones who aren't, are genuine in their questions and inquiries. I enjoy being part of the intelligent and civilized discussions, and learn something every day about all the various religious viewpoints. What I have to offer is years and years of meditation and what I have learned from being a mother - and soon grandmother.

All along when I was meditating over the years and needed help - some sort of scripture would fall into my hands that propelled me forward. My gratitude goes to so many traditions and the people who brought them to me. But I am not a scholar and especially enjoy the scholars here in the forum. I also enjoy just being able to talk to regular people of any faith. In another forum (Boards) I have learned a lot form Muslims about the Quran, which I have never managed to read.

After a many hour meditation a few years ago, I wrote down a "poem"-
"No God, but God", because I found myself at such peace I felt "the presence of God" if you will, everywhere. Everything was in "it", of "it" and simply "it", including me. My old notions of "God" had fallen away to be replaced by this infinite and eternal presence. A short time later I found out that the Quran/Mohammed said this and felt that I should look into it, but at that time had no computer skills. Last year I discovered forums - :) - and have had some great conversations about the Quran since.

I must admit that in the present crisis in the world I am nervous about discussing things Islam in a public forum, but am still hoping that educating myself about Islam, "sharing" what has inspired me, and comparing it to other religions, is possible in our world. As far as "my" religion goes, I join the Dalai Lama in saying "my religion is kindness".
There may be flagging-rules in this forum I am not aware of. Let me know. I apologize for anything I might have done that wasn't kosher, or even just caused more work for a moderator. I also understand the Government's problem in keeping us safe, so just let me know what got this old girl into trouble.

Thanks in advance

Hi Brian and Everyone--

I was wondering if, when it occasionally happens that there are two threads with the same name on the same board (sometimes the threadstarter is even the same), should they maybe have a number beside them to distinguish them from one another at a glance? Maybe the mods could edit it into the title? Any thoughts?

Edit--I should have started a new thread for this question--sorry. Anyway, as long as I have asked the question here....

InPeace,
InLove

Sorry about the filtering - "sex" was a keyword that a current anti-spam script was running from.

This would mean posts would not be posted in public until approved by an admin.

I've since set up the anti-spam keywords to more accurately reflect the spam posts we get at CR. :)

As for threads with the same titles - there is actually a number in the URL. But ideally we do try to remove completely duplicate threads, as otherwise it's confusing for everyone. :)

I just ran a test and had no trouble. In fact it was faster than it usually takes.

All I can think of Nick is that maybe you had some word that our spam filters pick up in the title or body of the post. I think they go to another file for preview before they can be posted. I don't get to see those, so I don't know if that's what it is. Bruce, Brian or Vaj will have to investigate.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Thanks, Luna, for the help. I'll try it again.

It did finally work, with a little bit of trickery. My original post was somewhat long, and I could not create the thread. I then tried creating a very short post in a new thread, then tried to edit the post back to its original long post, and it worked.

This Forum has a lot more javascript than any other Forum I have ever seen. The javascript here doesn't seem to work well.

Thanks, Luna, for the help. I'll try it again.

It did finally work, with a little bit of trickery. My original post was somewhat long, and I could not create the thread. I then tried creating a very short post in a new thread, then tried to edit the post back to its original long post, and it worked.

This Forum has a lot more javascript than any other Forum I have ever seen. The javascript here doesn't seem to work well.

There is also a character limit to any particular post. Sometimes it tells you, and sometimes it doesn't. I believe the bingo number is 15,000.

v/r

Joshua

My ability to add highlight, bold, add carriage returns, etc., has now disappeared. How do I turn that back on? I did not change any of my settings. How did those settings get changed?

Time for some HTML tag practice.

br tag

"quote"

italics

bold

another br tag. Good. I can control HTML, even though someone turned off my ability to control them invisibly.

Nothing changed here - not purposefully anyway - but there have been a couple of issues with the server, so it's possible that there was an error in some of the files being called up for posting.

I'll keep an eye out.

Brian,

It seems like what happened to me was a javascript or css issue, so indeed, it may have been a hiccup on the server. (My impression is it was a failure to properly download a css file.)

I appreciate all of your assistance in this matter.

I wanted to add a new thread for these but couldn't, it failed twice. This thread seemed closest in content so I'll ask my questions here.

Firstly ... why couldn't I make a new thread? It was short and unless your spam or obscenity filters have some truly wierd words in, I don't see how it can have been those.

Secondly ... why do some posts require mod approval before they will be posted?

Thirdly ... how do I do attributed quotes? Yes, I'm a noob :p

Namaste Imp,

there is a noobie process on some moderated postings...can't answer why your threads wouldn't pop up...but links have a time frame to prevent the marketeers from marketeering...

if you'll notice as you read posts you can click on quote or multiquote in the lower right hand corner....if you click multiquote you can keep clicking various posts you want to quote and when you click the quote button you'll get your reply window, full of whatever you clicked on (I recomend you then cull out the info you are referring to, so every post isn't fully repeated (unless pertinent of course))

click away....we were all noobies here...and some of the bells and whistles are relatively new to us as well...

Back