Gog and Magog

pohaikawahine

Elder Member
Reaction score
dauer or bb - can you tell me about Gog and Magog .... I've seen some references to the war of gog and magog and both punishment and redemption .... is this suppose to take place upon the return of the Masiach? Thanks for any insight you can give me .... aloha nui, poh

I'm not really replying to myself .... just wanted to add something new that I just read .... I've been enrolled in the "Know Your Bible" a one year study of all the books of the OT with Study Notes by Avraham ben Yaakov with AZAMRA. He just completed the study notes for the Song of Songs (which is my absolutely favorite book) and had several references to Gog and Magog ....

Chapter 8 V4: "King Mashiach will say: I adjure you, my people of the House of Israel, why do you provoke the nations of the earth in trying to go out of exile, and why do you rebel against the forces of Gog and Magog. Tarry here a little while until the nations that go up to make war against Jerusalem will be destroyed, and afterwards Gd will remember in your favor the kindnesses of the Tzaddikim, and it will be His will to redeem you."

Chapter 8 V7: "The Master of the Universe says to His people the House of Israel: Even if all the nations, who are dompared to the many waters of the sea, were to gather together, they cannot drown My love and make it depart from you. And even if all the kings of the earth, who are compared to the waters of a mighty river, gather together, they will not be able to obliterate you from the world. And if a man pays all the money of his house to acquire wisdom while in exile, I will return him double in the world to come, and all the spoils of the camp of Gog willnot be enough to compare with this reward."

Chapter 8 V8: "At that time the angels of heaven will say one to another: We have one nation on earth whose merits are slender and she has no kings or reulers to go out to do battle with the campe of Gog. What shall we do for our sister on the day that the nations say they will go up against her in war."

Chapter 8 V10: "The Assembly of Israel answers and says: I am firm as a wall in following the teachings of the Torah, and the children are strong as a tower. At that time the Assembly of Israel will find favor in the eyes of her Master, and they will seek the peace of all the inhabitants of earth."

This seems to tell me that the outcome of the war of Gog and Magog will be "peace of all the inhabitants of earth". I post this because the Song of Songs is customarily read after the conclusion of the Pesach Seder Night .... peace to all .... aloha nui, poh

I've copied something that dauer posted on another thread related to the return of the Moshiach .... I don't believe he is considered a King, but his return will herald a new era of peace ....

"Here are some of the primary activities of the Jewish Moshiach:
• The Moshiach will be a man of this world, an observant Jew with “fear of G-d”. (Isaiah 11:2)
• Evil and tyranny will not be able to stand before his leadership. (Isaiah 11:4)
• He will be descended from David HaMelech (Isaiah 11:1) via Solomon (1 Chron. 22:8-10)
• Once he is King, leaders of other nations will look to him for guidance. (Isaiah 2:4).
• He will be a messenger of peace. (Isaiah 52:7)
• There will be no more hunger or illness, and death will cease (Isaiah 25:8).
• Weapons of war will be destroyed (Ezekiel 39:9)
• Knowledge of G-d will fill the world (Isaiah 11:9).
• The peoples of the world will turn to the Jews for spiritual guidance (Zechariah 8:23).
• All of the dead will rise again (Isaiah 26:19).
• Jews will have returned to their homeland (Isaiah 11:12)
• The Jewish people will experience eternal joy and gladness (Isaiah 51:11).
• The Sanhedrin will be re-established. (Isaiah 1:26)
• The ruined cities of Israel will be restored (Ezekiel 16:55).
• The Temple will be rebuilt (Ezekiel 40) resuming many of the suspended mitzvos.
• The whole world will worship the One G-d of Israel. (Isaiah 2:17)

http://www.kosherjudaism.com/moshiach.pdf " (previously posted by dauer)

Hope this helps. Aloha nui, poh

prober, king mashiach is hamelech hamoshiach. master of the universe is ribono shel olam, which also happens to be a phrase used sometimes as a mantra in Jewish meditation. melech ha-olam is king of the world, although I prefer alternative, more interpretive translations like "majesty of the world", "cosmic majesty", or maybe thinking of it as the power of creative consciousness in the world, etc. In Renewal some have gone as far as to replace melech with ruach, but I think that such a move is a bad step because it's not really backwards compatible. I'd be all for a substitute if it wasn't a word that already had a very rich meaning to it. For example I like some other alternatives to the common prayer formula like, "bruchah at yah", "nevarech et" and then for the second part instead of eloheinu (which I really have no objections to) "hashechinah" or "ayn hachaim" and then for melech ha-olam I do like "chey ha-olamim." But that's all another matter.

poh, the time of the coming of the moshiach has been compared to a birth. If the moshiach comes in a time when things are going well in the world, it will be an easy birth. If it is a time when things are difficult, it will be a difficult birth, a difficult labor. For Judaism, a prophecy doesn't necessarily mean something is going to come true. It can also be a warning about what will happen if actions do not change, like saying to a child, "If you don't stop that right now I'm sending you to your room." If the kid listens, he doesn't get in trouble. If he shuts his ears, his mom will be upset with him and do as she told him she would.

mahalo nui dauer .... that is very helpful, I'm still trying to understand the war of Gog and Magog, but I will ge there .... I suspect that the outcome of the return of the Mosiach will still herald an era of peace, but perhaps the birth into the world will be difficult because of our current situation(s) .... your insights are always helpful .... aloha nui, poh

Gog and Magog
Ezekiel38:1-23.
How reassuring it is to know that Jehovah will rescue his people from the attack of Gog of the land of Magog! Gog is the name given to "the ruler of this world," Satan the Devil, after his ouster from heaven. The land of Magog refers to the vicinity of the earth, to which Satan and his demons are confined.—John 12:31; Revelation 12:7-12.

Namaste mee,

Can you tell me which version of the Torah you are using that contains Revelation?

Or is it that you mistakenly cut and pasted on the wrong board?

Namaste mee,

Can you tell me which version of the Torah you are using that contains Revelation?

Or is it that you mistakenly cut and pasted on the wrong board?

opps sorry

that thread title caught my eye because i was studying up about GOG OF MAGOG

Back