Old Testament

Star Sarellia

Seeking Wisdom
Reaction score
Firstly I wish to apologise for my complete ignorance of Judaism

Sorry.. :eek:

I have a few questions.. so many thanks in advance to answers. If existing threads already cover these topics.. please don't hesitate to provide a link them.

Are the old testament books of the standard bible also considered holy books in the faith of Judaism?

Are any viewed with controversy?

How are these books viewed within the faith of Judaism?

Are they considered the 'inerrant word of God' in the same sense that Fundamental Christians view them.?

Hey Star. :)

Are the old testament books of the standard bible also considered holy books in the faith of Judaism?

I'm not sure what you mean by standard bible. Within Christianity there is some variation in the books of the Old Testament. Generally we don't call it that because we don't see that there is any new one, and the text we would be first and foremost using is the masoretic text, and translations none of which have any sort of official status. But if you'd like to see a list ofthe books and a translation please see here:

The Judaica Press Complete Tanach with Rashi - Classic Texts

Of the Tanach none currently.

Canon.

Are they considered the 'inerrant word of God' in the same sense that Fundamental Christians view them.?

It would depend on the type of Judaism, but all in all Judaism is far less literalist than Christianity can get anyway. You may wish to read:

Judaism and Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dauer

Thanks Dauer

I am quite fond of wikipedia and the other link proved most helpful.

Thanks for the general insight too :)

After I do some reading I might be back with couple more questions..:D

what dauer said.

obviously, for us, the Torah is "inerrant" by definition - although human interpretation of it is in many cases far from coming up to the same standard. consequently, your average "bible-believing christian" will go "six days of creation, you see, it says so in the Text", your average jew will say "what do you mean by a day? after all, a day is normally measured by the rotation of the earth around the sun but if you look in the Text, the sun wasn't even Created until the third day - so perhaps we shouldn't be taking this quite so literally".

b'shalom

bananabrain

Firstly I wish to apologise for my complete ignorance of Judaism

Sorry.. :eek:
no need to apologize

thanks for being honest

I have a few questions.. so many thanks in advance to answers. If existing threads already cover these topics.. please don't hesitate to provide a link them.

There are big differences in many areas but that takes a lot of time and care to actually observe and see for yourself. i suggest observe the three faiths from the chain of abraham. here are some links, with search tools to do your own homework
http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/reference/glossary.html
great search tools and read friendly

Polyglot Bible: Isaiah: Isaiah 7 (this has a few languages to cross reference)

BibleGateway.com: Search for a Bible word or phrase in over 35 languages and 50 versions. (great search tools: a bunch of bible variations)

bunches, even within each of the divisions within each sect: judaism, islam and christianity

not many actually follow the same scriptures and why each of these have various belief structures; orthodox, re-formed, etc...... each has divides
and each have many differences that are quite substantial...

eg.... beliefs in moshiah, things to come and rules to follow

again each has variations depending on what belief system within the various religious headings.

For example: many of judaism follow the mitvahs or even zionism with fevor, while another of judaism will be against or contradict the other team, using the same books as guidelines.

It seems that again is based on beliefs, but to observe reality, then know the literature said to come from Moses, is supposed to be within the Ark of the Covenant and no written material is available that is much less than 1000 yrs separated from Moses life.

So the ark is no where to be found as well nothing of Moses hand exists anywhere to be known.

With these truths, you can find the same literature of OT and Torah to be open to interpretations and beliefs but no where other than within the literature itself is there providable evidence of 'books' immaculate conception.

eg.... if you want older items, something perhaps of the periods of Moses on stone tablets.... Sumerian Tablets

and within observe that stories such as noah's 'flood' may have had its roots within other beliefs well before Moses was born.

Enjoy and

Peace

no need to apologize

thanks for being honest
Namaste Bishadi,

This must be finding old threads week. Your post is three days and two years past the last one...

And star hasn't logged in since May of 2007...
So the ark is no where to be found as well nothing of Moses hand exists anywhere to be known.
Same could be said for Jesus, and what do we have of Shakespeare but a couple of signatures and indication he couldn't hardly spell his name.

Back