Rationalizing Religion

dauer

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

There was a wonderful article in Zeek magazine which although speaking generally to a Jewish audience I think touches on a much more universal question:

http://www.zeek.net/703jay/

Essentially, the article discusses how, why and to what end we attempt to rationalize and justify our religious beliefs, and a way we might perhaps more honestly speak about the reasons for belief, faith, observance, etc. It also touches upon what is knowable, what us unknowable, and what we project onto the unknown. It pushes for recognition of the role of the heart in religion, and distinguishing it from the intellectual and rational.

For the most part it seems to be pretty in line with a lot of my thinking, as an individual who doesn't find much need for rationalization or justification for something so ambiguous, indefinite, and subjective. Anyway I thought it would be a good springboard for some conversation on the nature and reasons for belief and practice as well as some other issues. What comes up for you? Short quote from the article below:

" What I don't buy is the intellectualizing, the theologizing, and the amateur philosophizing that disguises the more naked stirrings of the heart. Why can't we just admit that we're Jewish because we want to be? If we could do that, and if we could recognize that wanting – and not theology - is the essence of religious life, we might find our religion a lot easier to embrace."

Dauer:

Thanks for the link. I am struck by the similarities shared by both the younger parts of Jewish religious factions in dealing with theological issues and the parallel activities among Christians, and Muslims who take sides in science and technology debates regarding national policies.

The real reason why there is such an increasing disconnect is that most people simply cannot take the time to learn what's real on their own other than by trial and error, or by being in discussions which are possible in places such as this. It's as if something out there erects barriers in the darkness to hamper our knowledge up to certain levels. I guess that's what you'd call "governance". In the old days of carbuerator driven-engines in vehicles, some owners/companies would put "governors" on engines to keep them from exceeding certain speed/rpm limits.

I believe that's kind of what's going on these days since we can see some things transforming before our eyes, but we cannot know why. When at the same time we are supposed to "adapt" to the changes as they cascade over us. Well, so far so good I guess. But our leaderships in religion and governance seem to only want to "fight" issues instead of beginning to modify things on the planet more in harmony with what's really going on.

Too many secrets I think.
Thanks again... and by the way, did you notice that the, you might say, father of such thinking, Beaudriard, passed away today. The similacrum ( that's either baby formula or I've misspelled ) is really what we are seeing and hearing about each day formally, when there is a hiddden reality unfolding informally and we are never to know how or why. It's just the way I see things.

flow....:cool:

Flow,

Thanks for the link. I am struck by the similarities shared by both the younger parts of Jewish religious factions in dealing with theological issues and the parallel activities among Christians, and Muslims who take sides in science and technology debates regarding national policies.

I think Ken Wilber was very correct in his observation (quoted very loosely by me as his fits to his whole level system) that it's easier for two conservatives to speak to each other or two liberals, even of different religions, than a conservative and liberal of the same religion, because the two liberals or the two conservatives really do have very similar approaches to the world, even if applied through a different system.

The same writer actually wrote another very good article, for the same publication, about reconciling Jesus from a contemplative Jewish perspective that follows his thinking from when he was a child to today.

I guess that's what you'd call "governance". In the old days of carbuerator driven-engines in vehicles, some owners/companies would put "governors" on engines to keep them from exceeding certain speed/rpm limits.

Do you think some of that, in liberal communities, has to do with the exclusive claims to authenticity made by the conservative communities? I see this happen in places like Israel especially, where there's the Orthodox asserting their way, and the outcome is that for the most part everything is "orthodox" or "secular." I've spoken to secular israelis who have pretty much become indoctrinated into this way of thinking as well, although it's not true for all.

Thanks again... and by the way, did you notice that the, you might say, father of such thinking, Beaudriard, passed away today. The similacrum ( that's either baby formula or I've misspelled ) is really what we are seeing and hearing about each day formally, when there is a hiddden reality unfolding informally and we are never to know how or why. It's just the way I see things.

I'm actually not familiar with beaudriard. I'll give him a look-up on wikipedia.

Dauer

Hi Dauer.

I may have spelled his name wrong, but his obit in on the LATimes website today.

Yeah... I began to perceive a bifurcation in society beginning in the 80's. The arguments everywhere seem to get more divisive, rhetorical, and pointless as time goes on, whether from conservatives or liberals. And it's beginning to impinge upon foundations of Western beliefs IMHO.

And of course the "governing " force used for "governance" these days is fear, in all it's hoary forms. What's new ?

Thanks for the comeback.

flow....;)

In terms of rationalizing the heart: I witness that everything requires energy and that information is always transferred via the energy source. Even in the best designed operational amplifier or digital circuit there is a potential transferance from the energy source to the output. A little 'positive' feedback helps demonstrate the nature of the energy source as it struggles to keep up. Sadly, in the world one person tries to control the other by controlling his food source... but it reveals him.

As an example an older family member use to race slot cars in the old days and a technique was to gun it and then release the trigger while someone else was going around the corner. With the uneven and uncontrolled energy the other person would spin out. The point is, there was a hidden way for one person to control the other... through the power source.

This is not just an analogy... all things require energy, and the brain is most definitely effected by the bloodstream. But there is something more special when two people coordinate and drive the same car by the acceptance of one with the other. For example if I drive on my gas to a destination by your advice, then I have made my gas yours... but there is a transfer of information to me. From employer to employee this is always the case and it is an important aspect to understanding the heart. Labor earns its knowledge. Enter with faith and come out enlightened.

Or, maybe I just took one too many fruits from the tree of knowledge... without asking first. I'm not sure I can rationalize that one, but I recognize a sin in taking someone else's knowledge, or their labor.

Not intending to oversimplify but it isn't sort of like our favorite pillow, or and old hammer...someone wants to toss it out and provide us with a new one...but we just want to hold onto what is comfortable.

And I'm not saying our belief systems are trivial, it just appears to be an analogy, maybe weak...maybe the real question is what do you care which pillow I use...

I guess it all comes to grips if I tell you I know that I'm more comfortable than you, and your pillow can't be as good as mine...

You or I if we love our pillow, won't care about the science or anything anyone else has to say...we'll justify keeping our pillow...

Not intending to oversimplify but it isn't sort of like our favorite pillow, or and old hammer...someone wants to toss it out and provide us with a new one...but we just want to hold onto what is comfortable.

And I'm not saying our belief systems are trivial, it just appears to be an analogy, maybe weak...maybe the real question is what do you care which pillow I use...

I guess it all comes to grips if I tell you I know that I'm more comfortable than you, and your pillow can't be as good as mine...

You or I if we love our pillow, won't care about the science or anything anyone else has to say...we'll justify keeping our pillow...
Kind of like a security blanket... but what is your pillow?

Matthew 8:19 And a certain scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow thee withersoever thou goest.
Matthew 8:20 And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath no where to lay his head.

Kind of like a security blanket... but what is your pillow?
lol one time whilst living in the desert, like Jacob's, my pillow was a rock. I slept on a shelf right next to an arroyo when lying down or sitting I couldn't be seen from the highway not a quarter mile away...even standing one couldn't see me for the brush but I could see 360 degrees...was a wonderful home in the desert. Two steps up off my shelf and it was like I appeared out of nowhere to cars going by... my pillow, my rock had been washed by water and was smooth and concave, it rested my head nicely, and had a little depression perfect for my ear... we were called bums, dirt baggers, desert rats...homeless hadn't been invented yet...

cyber,

I'm not entirely sure I follow. Is your analogy about the relationship between the heart and the head?

wil,

That's generally how I feel. I think even speaking of the heart is a justification. I just think it's more honest than trying to say that what we do is because it's rational or trying to show that it's supported by our sacred text/s of choice, not that working it into the text has no merits in and of itself. I think, rather, that it can be very rewarding and also helpful for maintaining some degree of continuity.

Dauer

Hello all:
In my reality heart-driven deeds that help others out is a primary definition of how love works. It comes from the heart, but is accomplished through head work. It's probably where the Greek concept of "agape" comes from, at least in part. As a former minister of mine once said, "anything else is just another business arrangement."

flow....;)

cyber,
I'm not entirely sure I follow. Is your analogy about the relationship between the heart and the head?
It was not my analogy, but yes. I was just posting what came to mind when I read of a pillow. Overall I am consciously countering a definition of Faith as just a distant belief in something unseen... a belief in darkness that feels good. That may be a good start and it is in the mind, but reading a story and being in the story are two different things. There are real, physical feedback loops that can be had with God.

cyber,

I don't think the article was speaking against being in the story at all, just trying to justify the story by rational means. I know that I for one am very into that, but it does not require me to stop regarding any of it as myth, or to start regarding it as infallible.

dauer

Not quite what I mean. The author says this:
author said:
Faith, in its purest form, is inchoate. Unlike faith-in-something, which has a cognitive object, it is a disposition of trust toward the universe. It’s an attitude, a way of being, that has no particular object and no theory to which it is beholden. (“Trusting your own deepest experience,” Sharon Salzberg calls it in her book Faith; not letting it be undermined by a corrosive doubt). It’s only when faith is combined with ideas, particularly about how the world should be, or about how it came to be the way it is now, that faith translates into self-deception, or distraction, or even dangerousness.
I view that he is rationalizing or outright defining faith, and that it is not the definition that I rationalize it as. If a person knows nothing of God other than what they read, then I would first try to understand it with people.

As an example of my viewpoint, suppose a friend tells me that they want me to go parachuting for the first time... that he tried it and advises that I do it. I might have some fears to overcome, but I am not going to necessarily ignore any thought that enters my mind. I will probably evaluate the risks, the benefits, the technology, the state of the aircraft. I am going to ask questions. I consider that it is not a lack of Faith to be smart. However, no matter how much knowledge I gain about parachuting, to do it I will have to trust my life into someone's hands. I place Faith in my friend who recommends it, the mechanic who takes care of the aircraft, the quality control of the company that made the parachute, the person who packs the parachute, the pilot who flies the aircraft, and most importantly the jump master who gives me instruction of what to do as he guides me to step onto the wheel and grab the strut of the aircraft on a single engine Cessna. Likewise... that jump master and everyone on the aircraft places Faith in me, because if I were to accidently open the chute in the aircraft it is very dangerous. Their life is also in my hands. Some students freak out.

As an example of what can happen, a pilot forgot to lock the wheel on an aircraft without a step plate. The wheel sticks out the side and provides a place for the person to step onto while reaching out on the strut to eventually hang and let go. With the wheel unlocked, it spun and sent the jumper down in a very dangerous way. The jumper was ok, but he chewed the pilot out on the ground and was unhappy with his response. A little excess adrenalin helps. So then later they go again and in his way to teach the pilot a lesson, the jumper grabs the key to the aircraft before jumping, leaving the pilot forced to make an immediate unpowered landing. Somewhat dangerous. Again, there were words back on the ground. That jumper was deliberately unfaithful. The jumper wanted to teach a lesson, but he purposely betrayed the Faith of the pilot. I would be happy to place Faith in the pilot, but there is no way in hell am I going to place Faith in that unfaithful jumper while he is unclean. I will rebuke him up and down until he will no longer hear of it. But if he repents, hears my rebuke and asks for forgiveness, then we are good to go. I would place Faith then to go jump with him. It is even better to go jump with someone who may have learned the lesson of being faithful to those who place faith in him, than to go jump with someone who has yet to learn the lesson. In my opinion, understanding faith and faithfulness definitely requires the mind. If a person will not hear a rebuke, then I'm out of there. Then it is time to go find another jump school. I submit that a lesson involving Faith is more important than the adrenalin or thrill of jumping out of the aircraft... but the jumper who betrayed faith, allegedly to teach it, listened to the evil in his heart. I submit that if someone will not understand the faith someone places in them, then sometimes you have to just rebuke it and walk away.

So I have told a story now. I believe the whole thing to be true, but I did not witness part of it. For a time I jumped from aircraft, but I did not personally witness any problems. In terms of placing Faith in me as a story-teller, it is not whether someone believes the story that I have told is true... it would be whether or not someone believes that I am an honest person. But maybe part of the story is not true even though I am honest. I would not confuse placing faith in the story versus placing faith in me. But as you pick up on, I tell the story so that someone might place themselves in it and consider how they would react. That is by using the mind to imagine it and to think it through. However, it is no substitute for being in a person's own life. A person does not have to jump from an aircraft to experience and place Faith in others, but just reading a story doesn't do it. It would be like reading about an exercise to lose weight.

So it is actually NOT the universe that I place faith in... I find most things in it that are simply NOT worthy of placing faith in. The aircraft is not going to speak up and tell me when it has a control rod rusting through. The aircraft does not have a soul. A person who knowingly betrays faith is also not worthy of placing faith in. What I do find worthy of faith is in the soul of the person. Even if a person is unfaithful as a result, whether misguided or derainged, it always provides an opportunity for someone to learn from... most especially that person.

I tend to see this world from a controls and information perspective, from science and engineering. This universe is like a giant pad of paper to write on. The soul and God are outside of what can be seen. What is seen is only the result of what God and people do or don't do. So is it a lack of Faith that God is recording everything? I say certainly not... it brings me a sense of relief and joy. I guess it is fair to say that placing faith in the goodness of the universe is like placing faith in the honesty of God. In that sense I agree with the author. However, I refer to Faith as in the interaction of both God and in the soul of anyone or anything that wills to move something inside of this universe. It is in that interaction to which I am ascribing or rationalizing a definition of faith.

cyber,

I think you may be taking the word universe a little too literally, as he uses the phrase synonymously with the phrase you also quoted, “Trusting your own deepest experience,” and contrasts with "faith-in-something", the actual universe being something. I think probably the more significant difference between your pov and that of the author is that the author is refusing to identify God as an object toward which one might place faith, and it doesn't seem like he's touching on any type of faith besides that in such an Unknown as the main point of the article seems to be, at least imo, to get away from justifying and rationalizing the spiritual, our seeking it, and the behaviors and emotional/spiritual/ideological attachments that leads to, and at the same time to recognize the objective unjustifiability of such things by rational means.

Dauer

No, but I think it was a mistake for me to provide the example because the rationality might not be seen. I don't see a person as an object, but as a metaphysical soul confined to a body. I see Faith as a relationship between souls as well as a relationship between a soul and God. God is real and you can talk to him in this universe, and I think maybe he talks to everyone and they just don't see it. Or maybe it isn't God and it is some other spirit, or maybe it is satan. Pick the symbol... I don't know, but he has real power and is interested in people. There is something that I can't see if there are multiple sources because there is no confinement to a single body to be the source. I submit that it is valid to use words to communicate because they are symbols. A word is referenced in the brain and somehow something in the brain is referenced to something that is not in this universe.

Or you can think I'm crazy. Take your pick. Do I have something that manufactures ideas based on what I want to see? Yes kind of, but I do not want to imagine something that is not real... even if it means I don't exist or that I'm headed for hell.

I think I would describe the body like a car. The windshield are the eyes. The brake pedal and steering wheel are the neurons and the spinal column. The carbeurator is the lungs, the engine is the heart, the transmission are the muscles, and the tires are the feet. The car takes hydrocarbons just like the stomache, and the car breathes air. It exhales out the tailpipe water vapor and Co2 just like the body... choose your orifice. The car requires a coolant system as well as a source of energy as all things do in this universe. When I drive down the road I see other cars but I do not see the drivers. The cars can communicate with blinkers, flashers, lights, and a horn. If I did not know that there were drivers inside of cars... and I thought that I was the car, then I would consider that Faith is a relationship that involves communication and control of power. Maybe it is the coordination and obeying the law at a stoplight, or maybe it is accepting that the oncoming person on a two lane highway can make your car never drive again. If a car became so convinced that he did not believe that there were real people inside cars that could maybe survive a crash, then at least it could understand Faith between cars. All physical systems... not just the body, but any electrical or electronic device, appliance, can all be applied in the exact same way. Planets and galaxies can be modelled by their power source, cooling system, drive train, etc... too. A car may not have cellular division and its blueprints stored in every tiny little cells, but a single cell also follows the same physical laws. It is from a scientific model of control theory and information theory that I rationalize and understand Faith.

I think the author of that article should try explaining either why he calls himself Jewish and does not pray to God, or why he prays to God and doesn't think that God exists to listen. Someone is manufacturing a belief somewhere there... or just going with the flow. Putting together the purpose of things, I estimate that God is much more than this Universe, which, when you study astronomy means quite a bit. Furthermore the entire history of where every single car has ever been at every moment of its short existance, is still in this universe. That one is harder to show you, but a rationalization that also whacks out your entire belief system. Suffice it to say, people are very special and are not the body. The body is like a part of the diary. Worth reading, but a shadow of existance.

cyber,

No, but I think it was a mistake for me to provide the example because the rationality might not be seen. I don't see a person as an object, but as a metaphysical soul confined to a body. I see Faith as a relationship between souls as well as a relationship between a soul and God.

I may have not been clear enough. You are speaking about "faith in" which always requires an object. You are the subject and that which you place faith in is the object of your faith. "Faith" on the other hand requires no object. If your belief is that a person is really a metaphysical entity, how does that make the person any less of an object?

I don't know, but he has real power and is interested in people.

How do you "know?" Is it a conclusion you've come to based on subjective experiences in your life?

. I submit that it is valid to use words to communicate because they are symbols. A word is referenced in the brain and somehow something in the brain is referenced to something that is not in this universe.

I never said it's not valid to use words, nor do I believe did the article do so. It was typed in words as well. Rather, it suggested that trying to develop a rationale for a way we feel that cannot be proven is unnecessary, and it would be more honest just to honor our feelings without trying to develop proofs to back them up. Feelings are all valid, even if they don't make complete sense, and as long as it's not harming anyone, at least imo, there's nothing wrong with embracing them.

Do I have something that manufactures ideas based on what I want to see? Yes kind of, but I do not want to imagine something that is not real...

So we're coming back the crux of the article. Your faith is really based on a wanting, a longing. The end may be different, because what you want is something you can somehow make logical sense out of, but the root of it is your wanting for that, and not the justification, which is itself the end result.

It is from a scientific model of control theory and information theory that I rationalize and understand Faith.

Is that a slight variation on the whole Unmoved Mover argument, to which one might argue, "What moved God?" or "Why can't the chain go on forever?" or "Why does the initial moving thing need to fit into your definition of God, however loose it may be?"

I think the author of that article should try explaining either why he calls himself Jewish and does not pray to God

Why don't you think the author prays to God? Perhaps better questions would be, "How does the author pray to God?" "For what reason does the author pray to God?" "What does the author believe is the purpose of prayer?" "What does the author believe happens when he prays to God?" I think you will find in the very article of mention that it speaks to prayer --emphasis mine:

"I’ll even go further than that. I'm not interested in translating the text of Hebrew prayers to make them somehow less ethnocentric, or in some way more theologically acceptable. I accept that the people who wrote those prayers were sexist, homophobic, anthropocentric - and possessed of enormous religio-poetic sensitivity. Not to mention an inner stillness that it takes me days of silence to cultivate.

Of course, I recognize that the sexist (and otherwise problematic) language of prayer can be painful for people - and so changing the language is better for that reason. But auditing prayer to make it theologically kosher? Who the hell are we kidding? We're praying - what in God's name is philosophically defensible about that? I also understand that repeating all this dualistic language - God, please help me; I need you; I want to be close to you - is philosophically problematic, and reinforcing the wrong ideas about God... When I read the old texts, it's obvious that God is a guy, who may or may not have a body but who definitely does have personhood and separateness from us. He tells us to follow his commandments in exchange for his making the rain fall, and He tells us to follow the rules. (And when I'm honest with myself, I admit that sometimes I still believe these ideas - my mind going to things like the survival of the Jews, and the impending destruction of Western Civilization... little "proofs" that the Good Book may be right after all.) No, it does not make sense.

But would we demand that someone praying for her sick child "make sense"? And if we wouldn't, why demand it of ourselves? Auditing our religious beliefs, but not similarly restraining our impulses to love, play, laugh, and cry, is inconsistent....Conversely, is it really more honest to shoehorn those old texts into my theology, my ethics, and my understanding of how the world works? Or should I just accept that that's there world, this is mine - and we are united by love, not theory."

But if he didn't pray, why would that make him less of a Jew? If he didn't believe in God, why would that make him less of a Jew? The last I checked, you are not the decider of what is Jewish, nor is any single flavor of Judaism. In Judaism, we in fact have Jewish Humanism, a Jewish organization, as well as Reconstructionism which accepts a very naturalist, sometimes very secular, view of God. Nevermind all of the other theology that paints God in another way. Coming to new understandings of what God is to us, often in ways previous generations would not approve of, is something found often in the history of Judaism, from the mythical Abraham and Moses, to Solomon and crew, to the rabbis of the mishna, to Maimonides and his cronies, to the kabbalists, to the hasidim. Judaism is a religion that thrives on new ideas, new ways of looking at things. And even Jewish humanism does that by asking the question, "What form does Judaism take on in the absence of God?" Now of course I am not a humanist, but I don't deny the inherent Jewishness of Jewish Humanism either.

why he prays to God and doesn't think that God exists to listen.

I don't see him ever make the statement God doesn't exist either. If you go to the top of the second page of the article he goes on and on about negative theology, simply not knowing, and accepting not knowing. He never denies the existence God. He does however deny that we are ever capable of truly knowing what God is. And your second question also goes back to my question, "What is prayer?" "What is the purpose of prayer?" If it's really just a petition to a guy in the sky, I don't think I'd pray. The verb "to pray" in Hebrew on the other hand, is reflexive, and it's hardly a modern observation either.

Putting together the purpose of things, I estimate that God is much more than this Universe, which, when you study astronomy means quite a bit.

Why must there be purpose? How can you truly estimate something so ethereal as purpose? Unless you simply mean the biological and evolutionary reasons for which things exist, like my liver, or the role of plant life in maintaining the atmosphere. But is that really their purpose, or simply a role we can observe them playing in the world? Couldn't it all be chance that life came to being? I know you don't want to believe such a thing. I would not want that to be the case either. If everything we know was truly just because of a cosmic roll of the dice, then what meaning can our lives have? For me, the real meaning is that meaning we find in life, and not some universal truth that we can never objectively prove, can only justify because we badly want it to be true. But if that's the case, what's so wrong with acknowledging that we're doing it because we want it to be true? Wouldn't that mean being more honest with ourselves?

Furthermore the entire history of where every single car has ever been at every moment of its short existance, is still in this universe. That one is harder to show you, but a rationalization that also whacks out your entire belief system.

What is my belief system? And how is a rationalization, an attempt to justify, something that can whack anything? And if you admittedly cannot prove it to me, how is it anything more than a simple attempt on your part to justify your belief system that is not provable, but only requiring more justification and rationalization to back it up? This particular statement you've made seems much more like a belief than a rationalization. A rationalization would be a backing for a belief based on some form of logic (for example the "unmoved mover" example) or based on those things that in general we all agree can be observed about the universe. If I said for example, "God exists because the world is filled with strawberry preserve" that would be based on my very exclusive belief that the world is filled with strawberry preserve. If I said, "God exists because I exist," that would be a rationalization. And of course we can philosophize that and say, "But how do I know I exist at all?" However, the consensus is that I and you really do exist in some form among humanity, and for that reason, even though it is something that is still only a belief, is imo more accurately called a rationalization.

Suffice it to say, people are very special and are not the body. The body is like a part of the diary. Worth reading, but a shadow of existance.

That sounds like more theology to me. How do you know that people are special? How do you know there is a metaphysical to them? How do you know that our specialness is based outside of what we see? How do you know the body is like a diary? Whose diary is it? How do you know it is a shadow of existence? How do you know the body is worth reading? How do you know the metaphysical is more significant than the physical? I know that I for one cannot answer any of these questions objectively. If I tried, I would only be forming beliefs, which I would then either have the choice to justify to myself, to simply accept as "that which is my belief about the world," or to see as something which may or may not be true, but whose objective truth is less important for me than what it means to me.

Dauer

dauer said:
I may have not been clear enough. You are speaking about "faith in" which always requires an object. You are the subject and that which you place faith in is the object of your faith. "Faith" on the other hand requires no object. If your belief is that a person is really a metaphysical entity, how does that make the person any less of an object?
Fair enough... I mean not an object in this universe. I am saying there is a living God, and that a person can place faith (or have faith) in him, and be faithful. I am saying if my body were on a planet a million light years away, in this universe, with nobody living to interact with, and no God or any living soul were living, listening, or responding to me... then I am saying that there would be no faith, no faithfulness, no love, and nobody to love. I am saying that faith is not an emotion, but metaphysically transcends it. I understand it is common English to say that a person can place faith in an object or be faithful to one, which means NOT knowing essentially what the state of what that object is in, and believing in it or trusting it anyway... but that is mere hope. I am saying that hope in a physical object is not faith. Call it my definition if you want, but I see a metaphysical relationship that requires communication. When you see communication you will 'know'.

dauer said:
How do you "know?" Is it a conclusion you've come to based on subjective experiences in your life?
Objective communication and experiences... he is real. I am placing faith in whoever originated Abrahamic religion... I mean it could be Zeus or Apollo, but I am saying that someone with more power than anyone physically on this planet is real. Worth praying to for a number of reasons.

dauer said:
I never said it's not valid to use words, nor do I believe did the article do so.
The author said faith is an emotion. If emotions are communicated then I might agree, but I am saying that faith and being faithful requires some form of communication. I am consciously countering a definition of 'faith' that involves believing in something physically not seen... the only unseen is God or another soul, but the communication must be attempted.

dauer said:
Rather, it suggested that trying to develop a rationale for a way we feel that cannot be proven is unnecessary, and it would be more honest just to honor our feelings without trying to develop proofs to back them up. Feelings are all valid, even if they don't make complete sense, and as long as it's not harming anyone, at least imo, there's nothing wrong with embracing them.
If someone can communicate to a person a feeling without being near them, seeing, or talking to them, then I accept that being faithful, having faith, or placing faith are all legitimate using feelings. Otherwise not. I am saying a feeling by itself is not Faith. I am saying that trust and believe are not mere feelings.

dauer said:
Your faith is really based on a wanting, a longing.
I am saying that faith is humanly, rationally, emperically, biblicly, and spiritually not that... for me.

dauer said:
Is that a slight variation on the whole Unmoved Mover argument, to which one might argue, "What moved God?" or "Why can't the chain go on forever?" or "Why does the initial moving thing need to fit into your definition of God, however loose it may be?"
Could be, I'm not familiar with that argument. I was simply saying that given known science, including entanglement, relativity, and quantum physics, that people are really something metaphysical and unseen. Since I don't know all science you can call it my unfounded opinion if you wish, but I call it a rationalization.

dauer said:
Why don't you think the author prays to God? Perhaps better questions would be, "How does the author pray to God?" "For what reason does the author pray to God?" "What does the author believe is the purpose of prayer?" "What does the author believe happens when he prays to God?" I think you will find in the very article of mention that it speaks to prayer --emphasis mine:
Sorry, I did not discount that he prefers to think that recital is prayer. Recital is not prayer, but only repeating someone elses words... he is not trying to communicate. The words are not his.

dauer said:
But if he didn't pray, why would that make him less of a Jew?
dauer said:
The last I checked, you are not the decider of what is Jewish, nor is any single flavor of Judaism.
Sorry, I was following his ethnocentricity, not mine:
author_of_article said:
Why can't we just admit that we're Jewish because we want to be? If we could do that, and if we could recognize that wanting – and not theology - is the essence of religious life, we might find our religion a lot easier to embrace.
I agree, per the author's words and yours that anyone's generalization of whatever 'Jewish' means is irrelevant to religion, and includes atheists who do not believe in God, or other religion including Christianity and Islam, and that it simply means someone who wishes to call themselves or to be called Jewish. I agree. There is no ethnocentric slur intended by me and in that same light if I am in the author's presence I will remind him when he says, "OUR religion"... that it is not his to define, nor the property of those who call themselves Jewish. I fully accept that it is not my right, and for the same reason neither is Judaism the property of those who call themselves Jewish. No ethnocentrism there. Please forgive me for initially following the author's example and implying there was in my original statement. Judaism is not limited to those who are Jewish and neither is being Jewish limited to Judaism.

dauer said:
And your second question also goes back to my question, "What is prayer?" "What is the purpose of prayer?"
To commune with God.

dauer said:
Why must there be purpose? How can you truly estimate something so ethereal as purpose?
A profound statement wasn't it. If the Universe lies to you as you read my words, then it will serve very little purpose.

dauer said:
What is my belief system?
Sorry, please scratch the word "your" and use the generic, "a person's". My error.

dauer said:
How do you know that people are special? How do you know there is a metaphysical to them? How do you know that our specialness is based outside of what we see? How do you know the body is like a diary? Whose diary is it? How do you know it is a shadow of existence? How do you know the body is worth reading? How do you know the metaphysical is more significant than the physical? I know that I for one cannot answer any of these questions objectively. If I tried, I would only be forming beliefs, which I would then either have the choice to justify to myself, to simply accept as "that which is my belief about the world," or to see as something which may or may not be true, but whose objective truth is less important for me than what it means to me.
Good questions. I will provide my answers over time if you are interested but I think a summary answer at this point is this: Because a person can willfully Love, have Faith, and be Truthful... and know it from the bottom of his/her heart, to the depth of whatever his/her mind is capable of discerning, and to realize that this is in others too. It can not be "proven" that any other person loves you, or places faith in you, or is truthful to you... not with any science experiment (proof), but there will be evidence in interaction over time. The reason is not due to a lack of science, but because that they each require the soul, and the soul is metaphysical.

Dauer, I got into this subject because it interested me, not to draw conflict. Thank you for sharing it and I am happy to share. Peace be to you.

Back