Christianity 101

You want the God's honest truth.......

You. Thats why I keep my thoughts about the Roman Catholic organization to myself cause of you cause I actually like you when you are not going crazy.

You....Ive started on Mormans and backed off cause you asked me to. I actually had some respect for you.

But now when someone just talks Jesus, repentance and faith and is called the devil well all gloves are off now.

ok, but that is the idiot's way...

I think it is a mistake to go after those who do not believe as you or i do. It never works Dor, ever.

but your call.

v/r

Joshua

Wow. Since it was created, I have watched this thread with interest. I didn't like the OP. I accept that this was not the intention, but it did appear to be insinuating, and a little proud. It seemed to be a thing that would make people uncomfortable, rather than teach them.
What gets me now is that many of you are just being very bad witnesses. As someone else suggested, why don't you sort this out through PM's. Maybe delete this thread and start it again, because right now it looks like Christianity 101: hate, anger, fighting

Put the post back up Q quit hiding behind you moderator tag.

CR said no. Therefore it is no.

And if you go after anyone that is not exactly as you think Christians should be...that would be a mistake.

those are the rules Dor.

v/r

Joshua

Wow. Since it was created, I have watched this thread with interest. I didn't like the OP. I accept that this was not the intention, but it did appear to be insinuating, and a little proud. It seemed to be a thing that would make people uncomfortable, rather than teach them.
What gets me now is that many of you are just being very bad witnesses. As someone else suggested, why don't you sort this out through PM's. Maybe delete this thread and start it again, because right now it looks like Christianity 101: hate, anger, fighting

Because it was started for that very reason if you look back at the thread it spun off of .
It was all an attempt by Q to show how much more he knows than Silas.

You are so right. There is anger (i don't know about hate), and infighting. But, it is right out there in the open for the world to see, despite our best efforts to hide it.

The irony is the more basic the belief, it appears that the more intolerant it is for others who differ, to the point of insults and worse.

I now understand Islam, believe it or not, as well as Judeasm.

v/r

Joshua

I think this thread shows perfectly how flawed we all are, as well as our need for Christ. Christians aren't perfect, obviously, and in the end we all find what we are looking for. Be it, love, or peace, or bitter contention.

I was set off by this thread after it got heated, yet I tuned in like it was going out of style. What does that say about me? I don't know, perhaps it's good to show just how easily we tune back in to our human nature. Maybe we can all learn something beneficial from this debacle.

James

I think this thread shows perfectly how flawed we all are, as well as our need for Christ. Christians aren't perfect, obviously, and in the end we all find what we are looking for. Be it, love, or peace, or bitter contention.

I was set off by this thread after it got heated, yet I tuned in like it was going out of style. What does that say about me? I don't know, perhaps it's good to show just how easily we tune back in to our human nature. Maybe we can all learn something beneficial from this debacle.

James

yeah ... that old man is dead and he needs to stay dead..lol

hes making me mad grrr

Because it was started for that very reason if you look back at the thread it spun off of .
It was all an attempt by Q to show how much more he knows than Silas.

really. is that a "fact"?

I think it was as originally posted by....me. And my intention was as I stated. Since I started the post, I should know what was in my mind, and not you.

Sooo, we'll start again.

v/r

Joshua

Sooo, we'll start again

OK. This was the Rule of Faith of the Christian Communion who followed the Apostolic Teaching until the Reformation (the Latin/Greek schism did not, despite all claims to the contrary, alter the theological meaning of the text).

We believe in:
01 – one God, the Father Almighty;
02 – The maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen;

We believe in:
03 – one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God;
04 – The Son is one Being with the Father;
05 – Through the Son all things were made;

We believe:
06– For salvation's sake the Son came down from heaven;
07 – was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary;
08 – and became truly human.
09 – For our sake he was crucified;
10 – suffered death;
11 – and was buried.

We believe:
12 – On the third day he rose again (in accordance with the Scriptures);
13 – He ascended into heaven (and is seated at the right hand of the Father).
14 – He will come again in glory
15 – He will judge the living and the dead,
16 – His kingdom will have no end.

We believe in:
17 – the Holy Spirit, (the Lord, the giver of life);
18 – who proceeds from the Father [and the Son];
19 – who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified,
20 – who has spoken through the prophets.

We believe in:
21 – one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
22 – one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
23 – the resurrection of the dead,
24 – and the life of the world to come.

NOTE:
The understanding and the acceptance of the above, the Profession of Faith, meant the neophyte or Catechumen was accepted into full communion with the Church, and thus could partake of the Eucharist, the central Liturgical Rite and Mystery of the Faith.

Thomas

Last edited:
This one really surprised me.

Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
John 3:3

In my b.c. days, I was convinced I had done it right the first time.

This one really surprised me.

Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
John 3:3

In my b.c. days, I was convinced I had done it right the first time.

I'm pleased you brought this up, Karen. People seem to differ when it comes to viewing what it means to be born again. I would personally like to know the "standard", or "biblical" definition of the term. I know what I think it means, but that's just my own personal view.

What does it mean to be born again? Does it require baptism, or spiritual change, or both? Are their differing levels, or are we changed the second we accept Christ? Lots to discuss here, Imo.

James

I think Jesus answers that question in the passage:

"The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." - John 3:2-7

Jesus makes a clear distinction between being born in the flesh (which was Nicodemus' thinking) and being born in the spirit. Everyone has been born in the flesh (albeit fallen flesh), but because of our fallen nature, which includes body, soul, and spirit, we cannot commune with God. Therefore, we must be born of the Spirit of God. His Spirit must regenerate our spirit (Titus 3:5). It is that Spirit that will raise us up to life on the Last Day. However, we must be prepared to receive that Spirit. New wine cannot be put into old wineskins. So our old sinful nature must be transformed through the Blood of Jesus Christ, to wash us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:7). Then the Spirit of God can empower us to live the life He created us for.

Thanks, Dondi; I was thinking along those terms. I like how the living bible puts 1 John:

5. This is the message God has given us to pass on to you: that God is Light and in him is no darkness at all.
6. So if we say we are his friends, but go on living in spiritual darkness and sin, we are lying.
7. But if we are living in the light of God's presence, just as Christ does, then we have wonderful fellowship and joy with each other, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from every sin.
8. If we say that we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves, and refusing to accept the truth.
9. But if we confess our sins to him, he can be depended on to forgive us and to cleanse us from every wrong. [And it is perfectly proper for God to do this for us because Christ died to wash away our sins.]

I'm with Prober-Juan you did a bang-up job. Hope you don't leave the board altogether but can understand the tiring of attempting to make everyone play nice. flow's comment is apt and interesting-why is it that "Christianity" is so contentious? Perhaps that's not that odd, though, as I think literalists and non-literalists or "fundamentals" & "liberals" or however you wish to categorize the divisions of any religious peruasion will just never see eye to eye about much I'm afraid. Pity is when we allow our beliefs to overcome our compassion for one another-sure sign to me when I or others are losing perspective re what religion/spirituality is all about-or, as I like to put it, allowing our "heads" to cause us to lose our common sense/heart. have a good one all, earl

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are:adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,
20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21

You should really check the bible.

I think you missed the point.

Ironically, I would not have included that had I not known that wasn't in the Bible. I put it in there because I was aware that there was a verse somewhere that said that.

The idea was that God, given the consent and opportunity, can either change people or make their shortcomings insignificant or irrelevant by overshadowing it with something more wonderful than the horrors in their lives. In doing so, God can change our lives. People headed for disaster suddenly change direction and find themselves heading for paradise. In classical terms, "The lost are found. Those who were blind can now see."

But I would agree that those who continue to do that might be excluded from the Kingdom. But it's not about what we've done (the past) but what we ultimately become. The pure and innocent are not those who have never done anything wrong, but those who value a relationship with God more than anything else. Purity and innocence is an attitude not a code of behaviour.

I didn't say anything about the future attitude and behaviour of people like that. So don't make any assumptions there or get the wrong idea . . . People may be unworthy in conduct, but that doesn't disqualify anyone from the Kingdom. It's our attitude.

Subconsciously, I knew it was a bit controversial, so I made the list a bit bigger so it would be more visible. That was deliberate and intentional. You could say I was being a bit provocative in including such a long list. I was also a bit curious as to how people might respond. I do that every now and then.

I did say, though, at the end of the post, that God doesn't care who you are as long as you want to be part of His story. That implies some devotion and submission.:)

I was kind of expecting someone to pull out a verse from the Bible to say no, God doesn't accept thugs and murderers in His Kingdom. But hey -- they are thugs and murderers in this world, but not necessary thugs and murderers in the Kingdom. They might be changed men by then. New people. Born afresh.

Thanks for noticing. Your vigilance is appreciated.:D

"Love thy neibour as thy self, do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Didn't Jesus say these were the greatest of the commandments when asked (might be a mis quote-haven't got a Bible handy...)

Back