Christianity 101

Quahom1

What was the question?
Reaction score
I think, this is appropriate. This would be an excellent place to express the basics of Christianity, particularly for those who do not understand it (but think they do).

Now, I will watch this thread closely, since it is for enlightenment of Christianity for those who wish to know about Christianity...

Silas, Faithful, Dor, Thomas, et al...I invite you to set stage as it were.

This is not a place to argue the merits of, for or against as the title states 101.

Just the basics and facts as are known (and I suspect the Bible is to be the only basis for presenting the Christian view)...:D

v/r

Joshua

I think, this is appropriate. This would be an excellent place to express the basics of Christianity, particularly for those who do not understand it (but think they do).
Now since I am most probably one of the ones who thinks he knows a little something about the basics I'll toss my views against the wall and see if they 'stick'.

Without cracking the good book or being one to stand on the corner and quote chapter and verse I say...the basics are Love and Forgiveness.

Love the Lord thy G-d with all your heart, all your mind and all your soul, and Love your neighbor as yourself.

Forgive not seven times, but seven times seventy.

My belief. Jesus will be perfectly happy if we spend a lifetime working on those two.

Jesus Christ is the Incarnate Son of God.

According to Luke:
"Behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb and shalt bring forth a son: and thou shalt call his name Jesus. He shall be great and shall be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of David his father: and he shall reign in the house of Jacob for ever. And of his kingdom there shall be no end. And Mary said to the angel: How shall this be done, because I know not man? And the angel answering, said to her: The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee and the power of the Most High shall overshadow thee. And therefore also the Holy which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God." (1:31-35)

Thomas

God is One and God is Three

According to Matthew:
"And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. Going therefore, teach ye all nations: baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. (28:18-19)

Thomas

We are called to sonship in God.

According to John:
"But as many as received him, he gave them power to be made the sons of God, to them that believe in his name." (1:12)

Thomas

The Deity of Christ.(Jesus is both God and man.)
Salvation by Grace through faith.
Resurection of Christ.
The gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus according to the scriptures.
There is only one God.

Ok there would be my first list of essentials.

I would add that Jesus walked among us performing healing miracles, gave his life as a substitute sacrifice (at the very hour the lambs were being slaughtered for the Jewish High Sabbath), descended to hell and preached and freed G-d's captives there, and most importantly he arose from the grave 3 days later, continued to teach another 40 days and then ascended to heaven, having conquered death and sin. It is by these signs and miracles that Christians have their faith and hope.

I'd rather not.. I think this is a rather condescending thread that has a veiled or not so veiled insult in its very creation and I will not take part in it. Have fun ya'll

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without him nothing was made that was made.

Good.

"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:...

But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:
And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.
If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." - I Corinthians 15:1-4, 14-22

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"...Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself." Luke 10:27
[/FONT]

Oh, yeah...looks like you pointed that out already...

Well it's my favorite!

And until taken to heart, the rest don't matter very much (IMO).
Mine too, sets the bar high. It is nice to have the exact quote, chapter and verse...and no worries...it bears repeating...often often.

Mine too, sets the bar high. It is nice to have the exact quote, chapter and verse...and no worries...it bears repeating...often often.

So true...

Too often, I get turned aside from doing G-d's work by arguing instead of loving.:)

I like it.

Me too.
I also love people, but somehow when you get to the next thing Jesus said,
"If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.
"... John 15:6
people start accusing you of trying to cram YOUR views down their throat. Jesus was all about love, but he loved people enough to tell it like it is.

I'd rather not.. I think this is a rather condescending thread that has a veiled or not so veiled insult in its very creation and I will not take part in it. Have fun ya'll

Quite the contrary. It's design was to allow Christians to express their basic tennants, and for others to reflect on those tennants. There is no insult or condescending nature to it at all. There is no right or wrong answers. It is a way for Christians to veiw other Christians' perceptions of Christianity.

Regardless, no one is forced to post.

v/r

Joshua

Quite the contrary. It's design was to allow Christians to express their basic tennants, and for others to reflect on those tennants. There is no insult or condescending nature to it at all. There is no right or wrong answers. It is a way for Christians to veiw other Christians' perceptions of Christianity.

Regardless, no one is forced to post.

v/r

Joshua

Its very hard sometimes to guage a tone to a bit of text.. so I ask that you explain this bit in parentheses. To clear up any misunderstandings. Thanks

Back