I love Islam

Seeker_of_truth

Reaction score
Being a Baha'i I was already brought up with some general knowledge of the Abrahamic religions. I started reading the Qu'ran and about the life of Mohammad (pbuh) and I can't help but be awed and humbled. I never knew Islam was so beautiful.

Allahu akbar my friends! :)

Being a Baha'i I was already brought up with some general knowledge of the Abrahamic religions. I started reading the Qu'ran and about the life of Mohammad (pbuh) and I can't help but be awed and humbled. I never knew Islam was so beautiful.

as salaam aleykum Seeker of Truth

Thankyou for your wonderful post, Islam is certainly beautiful. It is unfortunate that some people use verses of the Holy Quran and certain episodes of the life of the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) to harbour hatred and misunderstandings. It is so nice to hear that someone read the Quran with an open heart and mind, allowing you to see the real meaning and messages of peace. We (Muslims) are always awed and humbled by the Quran and life of the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh). I am so happy that you read the Quran and I hope that you will be inspired to study Islam further.

May I ask a couple of questions?

Were you born a Baha'i? What are your basic beliefs as a Baha'i (sorry for my ignorance but all I know is that it is a very new religion started by a Persian man)? Also, may I ask why you chose to read the Quran?

May Allah bless and guide you always.

The most beautiful thing about Islam (and any faith I should think), is the person who keeps true to it, to the point of gracing others with actions born of keeping the faith.

When I think of Islam at its finest in a man/woman, I am reminded of the "Moor" in Robin Hood, and again in the "Thirteenth warrior". Those men, I would die for. Because they would die for me, and everything in between (including the bickering and bating). Does that make sense?

v/r

Joshua

The most beautiful thing about Islam (and any faith I should think), is the person who keeps true to it, to the point of gracing others with actions born of keeping the faith.

When I think of Islam at its finest in a man/woman, I am reminded of the "Moor" in Robin Hood, and again in the "Thirteenth warrior". Those men, I would die for. Because they would die for me, and everything in between (including the bickering and bating). Does that make sense?

v/r

Joshua

Makes perfect sense to me Joshua, both of the fictional chatracters you mention are based on the true faith of Islam, what all Muslims should try to be, faithful to Allah and true brothers/sisters. Unfortunately we are human and even the best humans are far from perfect. My humble opinion is that if all Muslims lived as these characters were written to live the whole world would be Muslim tomorrow.

as salaam aleykum Seeker of Truth

Thankyou for your wonderful post, Islam is certainly beautiful. It is unfortunate that some people use verses of the Holy Quran and certain episodes of the life of the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) to harbour hatred and misunderstandings. It is so nice to hear that someone read the Quran with an open heart and mind, allowing you to see the real meaning and messages of peace. We (Muslims) are always awed and humbled by the Quran and life of the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh). I am so happy that you read the Quran and I hope that you will be inspired to study Islam further.

May I ask a couple of questions?

Were you born a Baha'i? What are your basic beliefs as a Baha'i (sorry for my ignorance but all I know is that it is a very new religion started by a Persian man)? Also, may I ask why you chose to read the Quran?

May Allah bless and guide you always.
Of course you may ask questions sister!
I was not born Baha'i but my family was been Baha'i for a long time. I became Baha'i in November of 2004.
The basic beliefs of the Baha'i Faith are the oneness of God, the oneness of religion, and the oneness of humankind. As a Baha'i I also believe in the Bible and Qu'ran and Jesus (pbuh) as the Son of Man and Muhammad as the Seal of the prophets.
The Faith was manifested in 1844 (1260) in the person of The Bab ( in Persian means the Gate) who announced that he was the Promised One of all religions. The Bab (pbuh) said that "He Whom God Shall Make Manifest" will come, he was the Forerunner to Baha'u'llah (pbuh) much like how John the Baptist was the forerunner to Jesus(pbuh).

I have always been interested in religious studies, as the Baha'i Faith accepts Hindu, Buddhist, Zoroastrian, Judaic, Christian, and Muslim Scriptures it opens doors and pulls down barriers to explore how God revealed Himself to humankind in ages past.

Makes perfect sense to me Joshua, both of the fictional chatracters you mention are based on the true faith of Islam, what all Muslims should try to be, faithful to Allah and true brothers/sisters. Unfortunately we are human and even the best humans are far from perfect. My humble opinion is that if all Muslims lived as these characters were written to live the whole world would be Muslim tomorrow.

They would be brothers in deed, instead of in word, regardless of their faith in God Almighty. :eek:

They would be brothers in deed, instead of in word, regardless of their faith in God Almighty. :eek:

If i may humbly add to that:

This is the changeless Faith of God, eternal in the past, eternal in the future. Let him that seeketh, attain it; and as to him that hath refused to seek it -- verily, God is Self-Sufficient, above any need of His creatures.

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 136)

Of course you may ask questions sister!
I was not born Baha'i but my family was been Baha'i for a long time. I became Baha'i in November of 2004.
The basic beliefs of the Baha'i Faith are the oneness of God, the oneness of religion, and the oneness of humankind. As a Baha'i I also believe in the Bible and Qu'ran and Jesus (pbuh) as the Son of Man and Muhammad as the Seal of the prophets.
The Faith was manifested in 1844 (1260) in the person of The Bab ( in Persian means the Gate) who announced that he was the Promised One of all religions. The Bab (pbuh) said that "He Whom God Shall Make Manifest" will come, he was the Forerunner to Baha'u'llah (pbuh) much like how John the Baptist was the forerunner to Jesus(pbuh).

I have always been interested in religious studies, as the Baha'i Faith accepts Hindu, Buddhist, Zoroastrian, Judaic, Christian, and Muslim Scriptures it opens doors and pulls down barriers to explore how God revealed Himself to humankind in ages past.

Thankyou Brother for your reply. What a wonderful ideal, I believe in coexistence of the faiths and I accept that all the Books have recurring and truthful parts but how do you reconcile the differences in the Books? For example, the Quran rejects totally that Jesus (pbuh) could be the 'son' of G-d but the new testament states that he is. Another, Buddhists believe in reincarnation and Muslims believe we remain in the grave until the Day of Judgement.

Thankyou Brother for your reply. What a wonderful ideal, I believe in coexistence of the faiths and I accept that all the Books have recurring and truthful parts but how do you reconcile the differences in the Books? For example, the Quran rejects totally that Jesus (pbuh) could be the 'son' of G-d but the new testament states that he is. Another, Buddhists believe in reincarnation and Muslims believe we remain in the grave until the Day of Judgement.

Differences in religion (especially the topics mentioned here) do seem outwardly conflicting and incompatable don't they? To be able to appreciate the writings of Baha'u'llah one must be able to recognize his claim. In in Bible and in the Qu'ran it says the books are sealed up until the Day of Judgement and that the Promised One (Qa'im to Sunni, Mahdi to Shi'a) would "unseal" the meaning of the books. This is what Baha'u'llah does, he explains (---will finish later--- i realized i'm late for work!)

I would like to share Baha'i writings because they answer better than i ever could.

"As regards to your questions concerning the station of Jesus Christ, and His return as explained in the Gospel. It is true that Jesus referred to Himself as the Son of God, but this, as explained by Bahá'u'lláh in the 'Íqán, does not indicate any Physical relationship whatever. Its meaning is entirely spiritual and points to the close relationship existing between Him and the Almighty God. Nor does it necessarily indicate any inherent superiority in the station of Jesus over other Prophets and Messengers. As far as their spiritual nature is concerned all Prophets can be regarded as Sons of God, as they all reflect His light, though not in an equal measure, and this difference in reflection is due to the conditions and circumstances under which they appear."

(Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 491)

In effect, each new stage in the progressively unfolding revelation of spiritual truth was frozen in time and in an array of literalistic images and interpretations, many of them borrowed from cultures which were themselves morally exhausted. Whatever their value at earlier stages in the evolution of consciousness, conceptions of physical resurrection, a paradise of carnal delights, reincarnation, pantheistic prodigies, and the like, today raise walls of separation and conflict in an age when the earth has literally become one homeland and human beings must learn to see themselves as its citizens.

(Commissioned by The Universal House of Justice, One Common Faith)

Differences in religion (especially the topics mentioned here) do seem outwardly conflicting and incompatable don't they? To be able to appreciate the writings of Baha'u'llah one must be able to recognize his claim. In in Bible and in the Qu'ran it says the books are sealed up until the Day of Judgement and that the Promised One (Qa'im to Sunni, Mahdi to Shi'a) would "unseal" the meaning of the books. This is what Baha'u'llah does, he explains (---will finish later--- i realized i'm late for work!)

I would like to share Baha'i writings because they answer better than i ever could.

"As regards to your questions concerning the station of Jesus Christ, and His return as explained in the Gospel. It is true that Jesus referred to Himself as the Son of God, but this, as explained by Bahá'u'lláh in the 'Íqán, does not indicate any Physical relationship whatever. Its meaning is entirely spiritual and points to the close relationship existing between Him and the Almighty God. Nor does it necessarily indicate any inherent superiority in the station of Jesus over other Prophets and Messengers. As far as their spiritual nature is concerned all Prophets can be regarded as Sons of God, as they all reflect His light, though not in an equal measure, and this difference in reflection is due to the conditions and circumstances under which they appear."

(Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 491)

In effect, each new stage in the progressively unfolding revelation of spiritual truth was frozen in time and in an array of literalistic images and interpretations, many of them borrowed from cultures which were themselves morally exhausted. Whatever their value at earlier stages in the evolution of consciousness, conceptions of physical resurrection, a paradise of carnal delights, reincarnation, pantheistic prodigies, and the like, today raise walls of separation and conflict in an age when the earth has literally become one homeland and human beings must learn to see themselves as its citizens.

(Commissioned by The Universal House of Justice, One Common Faith)

I am truly fascinated, any recommendations on where I can read more?

So where do you take your 'laws' for life from? i.e. how to pray, what food you can or cannot eat, how to dress appropriately, how do you know what G-d wants from you? Sorry not trying to be offensive, I am genuinely interested. As I am sure you know the Quran gives me a complete commentary on how to deal with every aspect of my life, it is not that I would be lost in the world without it but I fear my soul would certainly go astray.

I have sometimes wondered whether Allah gave each person their own path to walk, so I am meant to be Muslim and the Quran is the book I must follow, whereas a Jew is meant to follow the Torah, Christians the bible, etc. What I mean is that this is our test in life, we are given our path and we must stay strong enough to follow it to the end. This would mean that no religion is right or wrong, as long as you are following the path appointed to you. Hope you understand what I am trying to say (have never tried to put the thought into words before so am struggling a bit).

I have sometimes wondered whether Allah gave each person their own path to walk, so I am meant to be Muslim and the Quran is the book I must follow, whereas a Jew is meant to follow the Torah, Christians the bible, etc. What I mean is that this is our test in life, we are given our path and we must stay strong enough to follow it to the end. This would mean that no religion is right or wrong, as long as you are following the path appointed to you. Hope you understand what I am trying to say (have never tried to put the thought into words before so am struggling a bit).
You said it beautifully.

The only twist if I may, is that our test is not to stay on our given path, but to find it. As with you, born into a Christian family, finding your comfort in Islam.

You said it beautifully.

The only twist if I may, is that our test is not to stay on our given path, but to find it. As with you, born into a Christian family, finding your comfort in Islam.

Thank you wil.

I have always thought differently, I believe we are born with a full knowledge of G-d and the experiences we have in this world are designed to take us away from G-d. It is up to us to stay strong and keep our faith in Allah.

Perhaps I think this way because my father is athiest and my mother agnostic but even as a small child I truly believed in G-d, so it was not through 'education' that I believed. As for which religion we turn to I believe this is already written in our hearts which is why people can read scriptures of another religion and recognise that to be the path they should take.

So where do you take your 'laws' for life from? i.e. how to pray, what food you can or cannot eat, how to dress appropriately, how do you know what G-d wants from you? Sorry not trying to be offensive, I am genuinely interested. As I am sure you know the Quran gives me a complete commentary on how to deal with every aspect of my life, it is not that I would be lost in the world without it but I fear my soul would certainly go astray.
What guides anyone to think the Qur'an is a book that details every aspect of a person's life? This belief seems to be prevalent out of the Middle East. To the contrary Allah (swt) says clearly NOT to say "this is lawful" or "that is unlawful" and ascribe it to him. The Qur'an flat out denies being a book detailing every aspect of a person's life. The numerous laws come from religious oppressors, Shariah, or someone's culture... not from Allah (swt)... not from the Qur'an.

16:116
Yusufali: But say not - for any false thing that your tongues may put forth,- "This is lawful, and this is forbidden," so as to ascribe false things to Allah. For those who ascribe false things to Allah, will never prosper.
Pickthal: And speak not, concerning that which your own tongues qualify (as clean or unclean), the falsehood: "This is lawful, and this is forbidden," so that ye invent a lie against Allah. Lo! those who invent a lie against Allah will not succeed.
Shakir: And, for what your tongues describe, do not utter the lie, (saying) This is lawful and this is unlawful, in order to forge a lie against Allah; surely those who forge the lie against Allah shall not prosper.
Khalifa: You shall not utter lies with your own tongues stating: "This is lawful, and this is unlawful," to fabricate lies and attribute them to GOD. Surely, those who fabricate lies and attribute them to GOD will never succeed.

What guides anyone to think the Qur'an is a book that details every aspect of a person's life? This belief seems to be prevalent out of the Middle East. To the contrary Allah (swt) says clearly NOT to say "this is lawful" or "that is unlawful" and ascribe it to him. The Qur'an flat out denies being a book detailing every aspect of a person's life. The numerous laws come from religious oppressors, Shariah, or someone's culture... not from Allah (swt)... not from the Qur'an.

16:116
Yusufali: But say not - for any false thing that your tongues may put forth,- "This is lawful, and this is forbidden," so as to ascribe false things to Allah. For those who ascribe false things to Allah, will never prosper.
Pickthal: And speak not, concerning that which your own tongues qualify (as clean or unclean), the falsehood: "This is lawful, and this is forbidden," so that ye invent a lie against Allah. Lo! those who invent a lie against Allah will not succeed.
Shakir: And, for what your tongues describe, do not utter the lie, (saying) This is lawful and this is unlawful, in order to forge a lie against Allah; surely those who forge the lie against Allah shall not prosper.
Khalifa: You shall not utter lies with your own tongues stating: "This is lawful, and this is unlawful," to fabricate lies and attribute them to GOD. Surely, those who fabricate lies and attribute them to GOD will never succeed.

Sorry to take so long to get back to you cyberpi, have been away for a few days.

I may not have explained myself sufficiently. I spend hours on Islamic forums saying "where does it say that in the Quran?" but I have yet to read anything in the Quran that "flat out denies being a book detailing every aspect of a person's life". I take my duties and prohibitions for life from the Quran, not from any school or Imam. Whenever I find a difficulty in life I can find the answer in the Quran, Allah has given us everything we need in there to be a good person and lead a good life. The quotes you have included from the Quran are of course referring to innovation, for example the issue of women wearing face veils and gloves - nothing about that in the Quran but certain scholars insist that it is Islamic law for women to dress that way, clearly innovation and a sin to ascribe this 'law' to Allah. But you cannot deny that the Quran addresses the issue of dress for both men and women, the issue of eating and drinking, praying, laws for war, employment, care for the family, etc, etc, etc. So the Quran does deal with every aspect of our lives, we simply have to ensure that we follow the Quran and not the oppressive 'interpretations' of man.

What I was trying, obviously badly, to ask was that I take my duties and prohibitions for life from the Quran. So if someone believes in all the books, how do they know which duties and prohibitions to follow? Allah has given different duties and laws to each religion so how can anyone follow them all? Muslims and Jews are prohibited from eating pork but the Christians (as far as I know) are not, so if you believe in them all how do you know how to live without offending G-d?

Salaam aleykum, Muslimwoman (and everyone here)

I have been enjoying your posts. I share many of your interests, and this caught my eye:

Muslimwoman said:
What I was trying, obviously badly, to ask was that I take my duties and prohibitions for life from the Quran. So if someone believes in all the books, how do they know which duties and prohibitions to follow? Allah has given different duties and laws to each religion so how can anyone follow them all? Muslims and Jews are prohibited from eating pork but the Christians (as far as I know) are not, so if you believe in them all how do you know how to live without offending G-d?

I'd like to try and address this question the best way I know how. I have a Christian background, and so my answer is necessarily coming from this, but I am not answering this way in order to argue, but hopefully to contribute something helpful, because I believe that we are all connected in Allah/G!D/ and the Wisdom of His Love. I believe in sincere and compassionate communication toward the goal of understanding and peace. So I have tried to pick a Scripture passage to cite that might contribute to the discussion and hopefully not offend here on the Islam message board:

The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.--Romans 14:3-4, NIV

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. --Romans 14:5, KJV

For anyone interested, the entire chapter of Romans 14 expounds on the very question you have asked. It might help to explain how a concerned Christian would see things. Perhaps it is similar to the views of a compassionate and peaceful Muslim, as well. There are other passages I can give along these lines, if you like, and will be happy to do so either here or in private. :)

InPeace,
InLove

Salaam aleykum, Muslimwoman (and everyone here)

I have been enjoying your posts. I share many of your interests, and this caught my eye:

I'd like to try and address this question the best way I know how. I have a Christian background, and so my answer is necessarily coming from this, but I am not answering this way in order to argue, but hopefully to contribute something helpful, because I believe that we are all connected in Allah/G!D/ and the Wisdom of His Love. I believe in sincere and compassionate communication toward the goal of understanding and peace. So I have tried to pick a Scripture passage to cite that might contribute to the discussion and hopefully not offend here on the Islam message board:

The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.--Romans 14:3-4, NIV

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. --Romans 14:5, KJV

For anyone interested, the entire chapter of Romans 14 expounds on the very question you have asked. It might help to explain how a concerned Christian would see things. Perhaps it is similar to the views of a compassionate and peaceful Muslim, as well. There are other passages I can give along these lines, if you like, and will be happy to do so either here or in private. :)

InPeace,
InLove

wa aleykum salaam InLove & all who read this post

Thankyou for your kind words, I hope my posts add a little something every now and again to discussions. I have little knowledge but I enjoy spending time considering other people's views and beliefs.

I sincerely hope you do not think I was 'looking down' on Christians for eating pork? I believe each religion was given their own Book and therefore their own 'rules' to follow, so I would never look down on anyone for following their own Book.

I seem to be making a complete mess of putting my question across, I will try again using different example. I was trying to ask if Baha'i followers believe in all the Books or follow all the Books. I can understand belief in all the Books (ie they were all sent/inspired by G-d to guide the followers of each Book) but I would be confused if the Baha'i followers 'follow' all the Books. Example, if you read the Quran alcohol is haraam (forbidden) but in the Bible it is not haraam. So how could anyone know which part of which Book to follow? Am I making myself clearer? And if they do not follow all the Books then what do they follow?

After reading your post I read Romans and was truly moved by the following passage:

Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.

Isn't that inspiring :D

I have a question from reading romans 14 InLove

If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love.

What does this mean? Does it mean if I come to your house for dinner you should not eat pork or drink alcohol because it will distress me?

I look forward to your next post. :)

Hi Muslimwoman--I hope you will forgive me, as I am not as well educated in the beautiful progressions that are made in Arabic and Islamic greetings and replies as I would like to be. (I am still learning)! :)

Muslimwoman said:
I sincerely hope you do not think I was 'looking down' on Christians for eating pork? I believe each religion was given their own Book and therefore their own 'rules' to follow, so I would never look down on anyone for following their own Book.

No, I did not think you were doing that at all. On the contrary, I figured you believed just as you have said. And I do realize that you were asking mainly of other viewpoints besides a Christian one. But I also realized that my answer might be of some help anyway. I admire your openness and I guess I saw an opportunity to connect. :)

Muslimwoman said:
After reading your post I read Romans and was truly moved by the following passage:

Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.

Isn't that inspiring :D

I have a question from reading romans 14 InLove

If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love.

What does this mean? Does it mean if I come to your house for dinner you should not eat pork or drink alcohol because it will distress me?

I look forward to your next post. :)

Well, I think the answer would vary between individual Christians, but in my view, I would say that if I knew that someone was coming to my house and did not eat or drink the way I did, I would probably try to accomodate and act accordingly for their sake. I guess if I did not know, and they showed up during dinner, then if they were distressed, it would not be because of my actions. If I invite someone to dinner, then I would ask what they like and don't like first, and try to serve accordingly, as long as it did not violate any of my own convictions. A little common sense, and a lot of Love and compassion usually works out well for everyone.

Muslimwoman said:
I seem to be making a complete mess of putting my question across, I will try again using different example. I was trying to ask if Baha'i followers believe in all the Books or follow all the Books. I can understand belief in all the Books (ie they were all sent/inspired by G-d to guide the followers of each Book) but I would be confused if the Baha'i followers 'follow' all the Books. Example, if you read the Quran alcohol is haraam (forbidden) but in the Bible it is not haraam. So how could anyone know which part of which Book to follow? Am I making myself clearer? And if they do not follow all the Books then what do they follow?

I don't think you are making a mess of asking your questions at all. And I quoted this part of your post last so that maybe someone who knows more about Baha'i practices will have a better chance of seeing and responding. I look forward to thoughtful answers, as the Baha'i contributors that I have met here seem very kind and helpful. I will be reading along, too. :)

InPeace,
InLove

Hi Muslimwoman, :)

I was a Baha'i for five years so I hope it's OK if I answer your question.

Baha'is believe all of the Scriptures of the major world religions are revealed by a Divine Source (by God via His Messengers). However they have their own book of Revealed Law (the Kitab-i-Aqdas) which they follow. There also many volumes of Scripture revealed by Baha'u'llah, His son Abdul Baha, and the Guardian of the Faith, Shoghi Effendi which give further guidance and explanations to assist the development of Baha'i life and community.

Also, I agree with your observation taht we all have our paths to travel, and the more that we can do with love and respect, the closer we we be to God's kingdom on earth.

luna

Salaam aleykum sisters and thanks for your wonderful replies.

InLove please consider yourself connected now - whether you like it or not :D

Lunamoth I am fascinated thankyou, can I look the Baha'i teachings up on the internet?

May I ask why you stopped being a Baha'i (obviously a very personal question and will fully understand if you dont want to answer). If you dont mind answering may I also ask which religion if any you follow now?

May Allah protect and guide you both.

Lunamoth I am fascinated thankyou, can I look the Baha'i teachings up on the internet?

May I ask why you stopped being a Baha'i (obviously a very personal question and will fully understand if you dont want to answer). If you dont mind answering may I also ask which religion if any you follow now?

Hi Muslimwoman,

Yes, much of the Baha'i teachings can be found online at Baha'i Faith and the Baha'is also sponser a wonderful program called Ocean which can be downloaded from this link: Ocean.

Downloading Ocean is very worthwhile as they not only have all the Baha'i Writings in a searchable format, but also the Bible, the Quran, and the scriptures from many other religions.

As for why I left the Baha'i Faith, it would be rather difficult to explain fully to someone not familiar with the Baha'i Faith, but for a number of reasons I came to doubt Baha'u'llah's claim to be Christ returned. I loved being a Baha'i for many reasons and I love my Baha'i friends, and I especially love the Baha'i message of peace between different peoples and religions.

May Allah protect and guide you both.
And you as well. :)

luna

Last edited:
Back