do muslims feel deep down that they are right?

S

shadowman

is there an equivalent to the christian holy spirit?

a spirit of truth love or comfort?

truth especially

you know one time I Was reading the qoran and I was moved in the same way I was moved when reading the bible.

see I thought the passage was from the bible.... it was on an internet website.

as soon as I realized it was from the quran I couldnt get the same feeling of reading blessed or holy words

in conclusion we are all brainwashed!

you know one time I Was reading the qoran and I was moved in the same way I was moved when reading the bible.

as soon as I realized it was from the quran I couldnt get the same feeling of reading blessed or holy words

Shadowman, how does that make you feel--having that intense spiritual/connected feeling and then, upon realizing that it shouldn't be "legitimate", having it disappear? :( Seems like a bummer to me.

Indeed! We all have a lot of brainwashing to unwash.

Hey, let's get dirty!! :D

Peace,
P

truth especially

Well the answer will be yes & no. We dont have some spirit other than God who can be considered worthy of worship , or who is all-xxxx . But then we have God himself , who is Al-Haq (The truth/Reality) , Al-Rahman (The intensely merciful) , Al-Rahim (The ever merciful) , Al-Wali (The protecting friend) & Al-Wadud (The loving one).

Division of divinity is a concept that I am still unable to understand. It only creates confusion for human mind . One God, with all power & all knowledge, without a second, is the simplest concept around.

When we read Quran in Arabic, God feels like someone who is extremely powerful, loves you like a father, is constantly keeping an eye upon you, & sometimes it feels like he gets sad when humans destroy themselves (& are proud of it). Though sometimes he gets angry at their pride thats blinding them . Translations are devoid of all these characteristics .

And then we have a prophet whom Quran describes as:

Indeed there has already come to you a Messenger from (among) yourselves. Mighty (i.e., burdensome) to him is whatever distresses you. Most eager is he for your (welfare), to the believers (he is) constantly compassionate, constantly merciful. (9:128)

Indeed we are. But once we get over it, we start experiencing the power of God. What can be programmed can also be unprogrammed. A washed brain can be rewashed again . But whats more important is to find the orignal programme that came from the manufacturer ;) .

Do we feel were right?

We not only feel were right, we KNOW for sure that were right :D

Do we feel were right?

We not only feel were right, we KNOW for sure that were right :D

That's interesting, because as a Christian I could say the same thing. And I'm sure bb could say the same as a Jew. How do you KNOW that you are right?

That's interesting, because as a Christian I could say the same thing. And I'm sure bb could say the same as a Jew. How do you KNOW that you are right?

We can intellectually see that Islam is the truth, because there are no contradictions in our religion :D

Sunni and Shias are verry rarely at war with each other. Everything was hunky dory between Sunni and Shia's in general. It was the Americans that precipitated the disaster we have in Iraq now. :(

Sunni and Shias are verry rarely at war with each other. Everything was hunky dory between Sunni and Shia's in general. It was the Americans that precipitated the disaster we have in Iraq now. :(
Is that true? I mean I don't know, I have heard it is more political than religious (even though the political boudaries closely follow the religious ones). Are you indicating that Sadam and the Bathists had no issues controlling the factions that are fighting now?

Don't get me wrong...I am not a supporter of the US in Iraq any way shape or form...but what did the US do to cause a rift between the two, one that you indicate didn't exist...and is now bad enough to slaughter over?

I know there are land issues and oil issues, revenue between areas...I thought that was it at first...

What about the assassination of Uthman (in the year 656)? Followed by the assassination of Ali. Every century from the time of Uthman & Ali has seen conflict between sunni & shia. Modern day - what about Iran?

Even the Iraq issue, Saddams government banned Shia literature, political speech, and religious exercises, and even executed senior Shia Arab clerics, (the Sadr and the Hakim families), to make sure that a strong and unified Shia religious establishment capable of playing a role in national politics did not emerge.

See here for the history of conflict between the two sects:

Shia versus Sunni

We should not deny the Islamic past or who we are but we should recognise our faults and work to repair the Ummah (all of it).

Salaam

truth especially

As a convert from Christianity to Islam I would say that what Christians call Holy Spirit is simply an aspect of G-d. As Muslims we do not seperate out the attributes of G-d but submit to Him as a whole.

I am saddened that you could not accept the beauty and teaching of the Quran because you have been taught misconceptions about Islam. All religion comes from G-d, hence the thread that runs through all the books, essentially tying all religion together.

Yes, we are all brainwashed in some way, the west sees Islam as the stronghold of satan, Christians are seen as weak and soppy and I shall not even repeat the insults attributed to the Jews. I hope that by choosing to join a comparative religion forum that there are still many out there who are fighting this brainwashing and trying to discover the truth and beauty that lies in any love of G-d.

Salaam

Im sure I would be mopved by the spirit of the quran if I read more of it. I just was taken aback when I thought I was reading the bible, and I got that whole "reading sacred words feeling" that Ive been conditioned too associate with the bible and jesus....

I dont know a lot about islam but I like what I know about the NOI and the nation of gods and earths (5 percenters) and the moorish science temple

Im sure I would be mopved by the spirit of the quran if I read more of it. I just was taken aback when I thought I was reading the bible, and I got that whole "reading sacred words feeling" that Ive been conditioned too associate with the bible and jesus....

I dont know a lot about islam but I like what I know about the NOI and the nation of gods and earths (5 percenters) and the moorish science temple

When you have time please try reading some more of the Quran, not all the stuff about Muslims and the horrors committed in the name of Islam, but the actual Quran - it is truly beautiful (unfortunately a lot is lost in translation to English and seems a bit repetative in our language but we must do the best we can). Don't be surprised, we love and serve the same G-d and he inspired the Book of Moses, the Bible and the Quran. Why would G-d inspire the beauty of one Book and not include the same spiritual beauty in the others?

Before the 9th century Islam was leaps and bounds ahead of other civilizations on many subjects (science, philosophy, engineering, etc), if this interests you I can give you some great further reading references - just ask.

Salaam

What about the assassination of Uthman (in the year 656)? Followed by the assassination of Ali. Every century from the time of Uthman & Ali has seen conflict between sunni & shia. Modern day - what about Iran?

Even the Iraq issue, Saddams government banned Shia literature, political speech, and religious exercises, and even executed senior Shia Arab clerics, (the Sadr and the Hakim families), to make sure that a strong and unified Shia religious establishment capable of playing a role in national politics did not emerge.

See here for the history of conflict between the two sects:

Shia versus Sunni

We should not deny the Islamic past or who we are but we should recognise our faults and work to repair the Ummah (all of it).

Salaam

But that still amounts to relatively rare occasions when Sunni's and Shia's actually have a physical war with each other.

Back