Beit Binah Virtual Intentional Community, My New Project

It's been my experience though that most "frum" types absolutely deplore it, when they don't flat-out despise it.
i am not one of those people, as i thought i'd already made abundantly clear. i grew up reform and the majority of my family's reform. i neither deplore nor despise them, though i don't necessarily agree with them on a lot of religious matters. nonetheless the non-orthodox denominations have done incredibly important work which i think has served the entire community and society at large and i think they deserve credit for keeping the universalist flag of tolerance and understanding flying.

There is nothing more revolting than listening to a self-righteous Orthodox type putting down on the Reform movement, for example.
yes, the tone can only be compared to a self-righteous "progressive" putting down orthodoxy. make no mistake about this, linda - i've been on the receiving end of *both* and they are both extremely ugly and, worse, unnecessary. you've heard, perhaps that the second Temple was destroyed because of "causeless hatred", sinat hinam. all of us should take care not to be part of that particular problem - including both me and you.

If you encounter this "my way or the highway" attitude enough times (even a few times are enough) you naturally conclude, "okay, fine...I guess it's the highway for me."
that is usually what i do when i encounter someone who insists that i am a backward, obscurantist, sexist, fundamentalist beardy-weirdie. what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Pretty soon the guardians of tradition are shouting "my way or the highway" to an empty room...and wondering where everybody went!
hmm. i hate to rain on your parade, but the most successful outreach organisations currently in judaism are those of lubavitch and the other "kiruv" organisations such as aish ha-torah. i don't approve of their attitude, theology and solution but the fact remains that it is haredi-influenced orthodoxy that is growing at the expense of what you might call the liberal denominations. certainly this is the case in the UK and in the US, by all measurements of assimilation and intermarriage, the non-orthodox movements are shrinking. that, if you ask me, is a terrible shame, because it means eventually there'll be nothing left but black-hatted loonies and ignorant hippies. that's not something i want to see happening. like you say, reb zalman's a standard-bearer for a different way of doing things, but innovators are rarely recognised in their own lifetimes by the community they seek to serve. even maimonides had his books burned for heresy a couple of times, so i don't think we should ever underestimate the conservatism of the status quo - whether this is of the right *or* the left. goodness knows both can be just as smug and self-satisfied as each other. it does my head in, frankly.

That's really what I dislike about the haredi types more than anything--specifically, their ingratitude. They refuse to acknowledge the fact that if it weren't for the liberal denominations, almost nobody over the past 100 years would remember they were Jewish at all, or have any what it meant if they did remember.
i actually disagree with this totally. it is just as "ungrateful" to expect to have practical services such as kosher slaughtering, scribing or circumcision, or skillsets such as traditional talmudic methodology to exist without the efforts of the ultra-orthodox who have sacrificed so much to maintain it in an unfriendly world. without the lubavitch who you affect to despise so much, very few people in the soviet union, for example, would have been able to maintain any kind of jewish life and learning whatsoever. you can't have it both ways. biodiversity requires a contribution and a commitment from *everyone*, not just the haredim, but all the people who wander past synagogues, never going into them, but assuming they're always going to be there. i am not in the business of bitching out the non-orthodox denominations; i owe them a great deal. i think it is important that contacts and channels exist between the denominations and, without blowing my own trumpet, i do a fair bit in my own community to keep these things going by maintaining friendships across the *entire* community, so that even if mr frumsky-pumsky won't "share a platform" (the immortal phrase) with mr bagels-freud-and-academics, they can certainly both meet as friends of mine and go back to tell the people that won't join in about what they learnt from actually meeting these people rather than repeating what "everyone knows".

i don't pretend to understand the Divine Plan in allowing the plethora of jewish paths to exist, but it strikes me that portfolio management generally increases return whilst reducing risk - perhaps *that* is why judaism is still around, not because of any one factor.

b'shalom

bananabrain

i actually disagree with this totally. it is just as "ungrateful" to expect to have practical services such as kosher slaughtering, scribing or circumcision, or skillsets such as traditional talmudic methodology to exist without the efforts of the ultra-orthodox who have sacrificed so much to maintain it in an unfriendly world. without the lubavitch who you affect to despise so much, very few people in the soviet union, for example, would have been able to maintain any kind of jewish life and learning whatsoever.

BB,

Well, yeah...I do have to concede that it works both ways. I was thinking about this just the other day, probably right after I posted the note you're responding to now. Especially when it comes to very specialized practical skills, such as how to write a Torah scroll, how to prepare the ink and parchment for a Torah scroll or an amulet, or even how to tie the ritual fringes on a talit, the liberal denominations in general have been terribly lax and actually parasitical. Not only have their adherents not made the effort to learn these skills for themselves, they depend on the Orthodox to make even the most essential ritual items for them when required. It's kind of ridiculous that nobody in any Reform temple I've ever attended would be capable of creating a Torah scroll from scratch for their own temple! And they'd insist on a totally authentic and kosher one too--that's one area where even the most liberal denominations don't compromise.

So even though I bitch about the hidebound attitude of Chabad and other Orthodox groups (and will no doubt continue to do so), I've been just as guilty of ingratitude as anyone else. They deserve full credit for their tremendous work of preservation--as you say, often in the face of incredible odds.

--Linda

linda,

it's most gracious of you to concede that particular point. that's my point about religious biodiversity - certainly rav kook recognised it wasn't going to be the frummers that drained swamps and built the army.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Hey mw.

That ended a looong time ago. I'm not sure exactly when, but I wrote an article about its closure that appeared in the September 07 issue of 2lifemagazine which is an online mag for the Jewish community in SL. As it is I'm rarely in Second Life anymore.

Back