dialogue about dialogue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a relationship between Religious mania and madness? (idea for a topic)
Ardenza

Hell yeah! There is a relationship between great scientists, great movie directors and madness too.

But I would say its all on the verge.. True madness is a state of disability altogether. Were all mad anyway the more we admit it the more sane we stay.
Perhaps we can have a mental health section, psychology, links to other sites. Maybe a notice board section to point to if we see someone coming in like that so that we don't just react.

Crazy idea :D

Unnecessary. Let's not turn this into a mental clinic. Look, this is a discussion site. I don't think we ought to get into the social service business. If you want to help out and try to reach a person personally, then do so in PMs. We can direct a persons misunderstanding of scripture or suggest alternate ways of interpretation, but we are reaching another realm if we turn this forum into a therapy workshop. For one thing, we are not qualified. Just MHO.

Obviously a site like this is going to continue to attract people who may have a mission, personal or otherwise. Ok, now I know how to deal with them - ignore them?

As I understand religious beliefs in general, I thought part of their role in society is to try to understand peoples problems, form a structure and a belief system. If this is just a discussion, what role is it playing for most people here? maybe it plays therapy for them too. Places like these also have a social aspect.
I am not suggesting going into areas outside anybodys qualifications. I certainly believe that doing "witnessing" (a christian practice, I believe) with someone who has serious problems is a "crazy idea" - I would sooner suggest someone visit to a medical doctor, or psychiatrist.

Only people who should visit a doctor or a pstchiatrists are those who intend on harming or incieting it and people who have lost total sense of reality.

The verge of madness is bought about by too much creative behaviour in the mind, you see a lot of it round here.

Regardless, I'm sure not many of us are qualified to judge.

we have this - it's called "moderated mode". basically it requires posts made by the poster to be approved by a moderator before being posted. it's quite a lot of work, but i dare say we should use it more. perhaps it might be something we might consider if other posters are getting fed up with a possible troll and want to give him a "time out". but then again, we'd really have to use our judgement about who and when is calling for other people to be timed out. i suppose complaints about other posters is probably how.

bananabrain
This does mean a lot of work for the mods and is such a 'hands on' censorship that it is more likely to inflame rather than moderate passions. Why not just a simple 7day blanket ban from posting? Then someone has the opportunity to reflect rather than find ways to continue an argument through moderation.

Regards

TE

I certainly believe that doing "witnessing" (a christian practice, I believe) with someone who has serious problems is a "crazy idea" - I would sooner suggest someone visit to a medical doctor, or psychiatrist.

It's fine for you to believe that and I support your right to do so, but some (myself included) think that since G-d created the doctors and gave them all their knowledge, it might be a good idea to go to Him first - not necessarily at the exclusion of the doctors, of course.

And it's hard to hold yourself back from witnessing when you believe it's what a person really needs.

It's fine for you to believe that and I support your right to do so, but some (myself included) think that since G-d created the doctors and gave them all their knowledge, it might be a good idea to go to Him first - not necessarily at the exclusion of the doctors, of course.

And it's hard to hold yourself back from witnessing when you believe it's what a person really needs.

Not all believe god created doctors.... And I'd put my life in the hands of my personal doctors than your god any day... They can do more :)

I still don't understand why Christianity has been separated into camps. Liberal Christianity is every bit as mainstream as conservative Christianity. Just ask some Episcopalians. And anything which lightly touches on Christianity is germane to the topic of Christianity. Why does the conservative faction own the prime real estate within Abrahamic? There's something seriously wrong with that.

I certainly believe that doing "witnessing" (a christian practice, I believe) with someone who has serious problems is a "crazy idea" - I would sooner suggest someone visit to a medical doctor, or psychiatrist.

Witnessing, or prostylizing, is against forum rules.

I still don't understand why Christianity has been separated into camps. Liberal Christianity is every bit as mainstream as conservative Christianity. Just ask some Episcopalians. And anything which lightly touches on Christianity is germane to the topic of Christianity. Why does the conservative faction own the prime real estate within Abrahamic? There's something seriously wrong with that.

It would appear that LC is becoming more mainstream. It's a little like when Alternative Rock (which implies an alternate choice of rock not yet mainstream) suddenly becomes mainstream. Then they are no longer 'alternative'.

There are about as many flavors of Christianity as there are ice cream. Not saying we need more separation than already given, but when you start mixing all these flavors of ice cream together, you just get a mess. Then any orthodoxy you can derive from Christianity becomes blurred or even non-existent. There has to be a way where those who hold an orthodox view can discuss issues without having a lot of abbretion entering in to avoid confusion for someone who is inquiring about the Historic Christian faith. While at the same time, LC provides for other avenues of Christianity that can be freely explored.

But I will agree that the LC board ought to at least be a subset of the Christianity board, not the Belief and Spirituality board.

You might ask, would it be proper to have this kind of separation in say the Judaism boards, since there are distinct flavors of Judaism? I dunno, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem there since there are currently two jewish members on board. For the Islam board, I have no answer, for I am less familiar with distinctions in that faith. But how these boards run are not really my concern, since I'm not a part of them.

I'm speaking of witnessing as sharing experience and thoughts. I think that's different than procelatizing(sp).

Ah, ok. It's just when anyone speaks of witnessing in the Christian context, it has the connotation of prostylizing. What you speak of is ok.

(Had an awful time with this and had to look it up...it's spelled "proselytizing")

It would appear that LC is becoming more mainstream. ....While at the same time, LC provides for other avenues of Christianity that can be freely explored.

You might ask, would it be proper to have this kind of separation in say the Judaism boards, since there are distinct flavors of Judaism?
Wherever the LC is is no longer important to me, I originally felt a little dissed, but as long as there exists a place where the edge can be illuminated and discussed I don't care what it is called.

If their were a larger Judaic presence I can see that happening, as it is we have a couple from two very distinctly different camps that are open enough to discuss with the fur only flying occasionally.

When folks like me danced into the Christian camp there was a tug of war which I can take plenty of blame for, and the box that was created I believe was beneficial to all.

Fair enough. But when someone openly declares themselves to be suffering schizophrenic hallucinatory delusions then to try and fill their heads with more of whats confusing them is morally reprehensible. Anyone who thought what happened on that thread was good and Godly is frankly drunk on religion. Like many alcoholics though, they cant admit that to themselves.

TE

Fair enough. But when someone openly declares themselves to be suffering schizophrenic hallucinatory delusions then to try and fill their heads with more of whats confusing them is morally reprehensible. Anyone who thought what happened on that thread was good and Godly is frankly drunk on religion. Like many alcoholics though, they cant admit that to themselves.

TE

I didn't pick up that he had declared himself to be suffering from hallucinatory delusions. If that's true, then I'm definitely in the wrong. I interpreted his hearing voices differently as I hear voices too, sometimes. But I'm not schizoid.

I just read it differently.

Again, if I was wrong in that case, I'm sorry. I apologize again.

Best regards,
Mark

Where to find the Liberal Christianity Board?

Its not under Christianity, or the main heading Abrahamic religions.......but under Beliefs and Spirituality.

Please help , I'm lost , I need to find my way.
Is it a belief, is it a religion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back