10 commandments in the synagogue

RScourseworkhelpme?

Reaction score
hi

I have RS coursework on the main features of synagogues in tomorrow

basically im nearly finished but i cant find any infomation on the 10 commandments in a synagogue

i need to know what it is, where they are etc

any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated:)

thank you
xxx

they are often found on the ark (the cupboard where the scrolls are kept) but are by no means always displayed in every synagogue. this actually dates back quite a long time and is the result of a splinter sect which only kept the 10 commandments instead of all 613. normally what is displayed is a sort of representation of the stone tablets, with the first two words of the commandment shown.

you may also like to visit:

Judaism 101
Relocate

b'shalom

bananabrain

oh. Uh...DUH!!! (dawn breaks on Marble Head):D

Thanks wil!
wonder how many people here know what that means?

And is it just me or is anyone else think that was sort of a compliment an acknowledgment there from BB? Seems like the thread starter got his answer, time for tangent exploration?

And is it just me or is anyone else think that was sort of a compliment an acknowledgment there from BB?

Don't know. I'd like to think so.

(I thought maybe he was referencing the ebionites or something.)

i can't remember exactly. it may have been the early christians, it may have been someone else. i didn't have time to look it up.

diverge if you wish - you may like to look up how the 613 commandments can be derived from the 10, or how the 10 split up, or how the 10 are different for jews and catholics and protestants depending on where you put the full stops... look it up in wikipedia.

b'shalom

bananabrain

i can't remember exactly. it may have been the early christians, it may have been someone else. i didn't have time to look it up.

diverge if you wish - you may like to look up how the 613 commandments can be derived from the 10, or how the 10 split up, or how the 10 are different for jews and catholics and protestants depending on where you put the full stops... look it up in wikipedia.
63 derived from the 10 quite interesting...the varying 10s...tis amazing how many are out there, adjusting based on organizational need.

Would you say that the 10 are a set of universal Laws (well, I guess from a Jewish perspective, it would be 7 noachide laws, but even these are based off the 10, no?) and that the derivitive 613 from which they are based are according to the cultural construct of the society for a particular place, time, and peoples, in this case biblical Israel. In other words, perhaps in a different society, different place, different time, another set of derivitive laws based on the 10 could apply, if God so chose to give them, but it would be tailored to the situations and conditions involved. Do you follow me?

I think even some of the 10 are less universal and based specifically on the place and time. And others in a different society might have to be phrased extremely differently. Same goes for the 7. There's the midrash about G!d going to all of the other nations first and they didn't want the Torah, but to be fair my guess would be the way they heard the mitzvot would have had to have been in their own cultural language.

Dauer

Back