Moses with Horns

Bruce Michael

Reaction score
Hi Friends

I have found a page about this.

The verse in question is Exodus 34:29, 35. I quote from the above in part:

"And therefore more allowable is the Translation of Tremellius, Quod spendida facta esset cutis faciei ejus; or as Estius hath interpreted it, facies ejus erat radiosa, his face was radiant, and dispersing beames like many hornes and cones about his head; which is also consonant unto the original signification, and yet observed in the peeces of our Saviour, and the Virgin Mary, who are commonly drawn with scintillations, or radiant Halo's about their head; which after the French expression are usually tearmed, the Glory.

Now if besides this occasionall mistake, any man shall content a propriety in this picture, and that no injury is done unto Truth by this description, because an horn is the hieroglyphick of authority, power and dignity, and in this Metaphor is often used in Scripture, the peece I confesse in this acception is harmelesse and agreeable unto Moses: and under such emblematicall constructions, we finde that Alexander the great, and Attila King of Hunnes, in ancient Medals are described with hornes."

I'm quite happy with the horny Moses, I don't find it undignified. I believe it indicates his clairvoyance.

-Br.Bruce

We herein also imitate the Picture of Pan, and Pagan emblem of Nature. And if (as Macrobius and very good Authors concede) Bacchus, (who is also described with horns) be the same Deity with the Sun,and if (as Voßius well contendeth) Moses and Bacchus were the same person; their descriptions must be relative, or the Tauricornous picture of the one, perhaps the same with the other.

I'll ask Boo the Cat.

I've searched, I can't find it, but somewhere in the past we've had a discussion on this.

If I remember correctly it also included a discussion that horns were attributed to a number and meant something along the lines of divine connection...and it continued regarding 'da devil' and when our common reference of him with horns started.

There were a number of paintings, drawings and statues included with Moses and his horns...

a quick google search provides plenty of pix and leads to tons of pages of discussion...

This page is dedicated to the memory of Boo the Cat. :p

(at the end of source reference, I thought it was cute.)

Would you talk about Bacchus?

The book by Sir Thomas Browne is a rich source of information.

I didn't know about the connection of Moses with Bacchus. Bacchus/Sun is understandable- the sunlight being the outer to the human ego/Self inner. The connection is with the mystery of alcohol and the human ego. The word alcohol apparently means "the light"- some dispute this.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I like rich sources of info- I'll check it out. But what is the Moses/Bacchus connection? Don't you think it is kind of ridiculous? (to say the least)

Perhaps considering this passage from Acts chapter 7 might be helpful:
17 “But when the time of the promise drew near which God had sworn to Abraham, the people grew and multiplied in Egypt 18 till another king arose who did not know Joseph. 19 This man dealt treacherously with our people, and oppressed our forefathers, making them expose their babies, so that they might not live. 20 At this time Moses was born, and was well pleasing to God; and he was brought up in his father’s house for three months. 21 But when he was set out, Pharaoh’s daughter took him away and brought him up as her own son. 22 And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and deeds.
Moses was brought up as an Egyptian. Perhaps looking into the meaning of the horned headdresses of the Egyptians might be in order. {often times you'll see a solar disk with lunar horns....}
Perhaps some our Jewish members might wish to share any of their traditions involving Moses and the New Moon?
23 “Now when he was forty years old, it came into his heart to visit his brethren, the children of Israel. 24 And seeing one of them suffer wrong, he defended and avenged him who was oppressed, and struck down the Egyptian. 25 For he supposed that his brethren would have understood that God would deliver them by his hand, but they did not understand. 26 And the next day he appeared to two of them as they were fighting, and tried to reconcile them, saying, ‘Men, you are brethren; why do you wrong one another?’ 27 But he who did his neighbor wrong pushed him away, saying, ‘Who made you a ruler and a judge over us? 28 Do you want to kill me as you did the Egyptian yesterday?’
Moses fled Egypt because he was a murderer {before he found God.} However, he later brought one of the Ten Commandments, "You shall not murder" to the people of Israel. He spoke the truth after finding God. (compare to John 8:44)

the word for "horn" in hebrew is QeReN. "QeReN" also means "ray" - as in rays of light - and also "power"; if you look at the context you'll find that moses had to wear a veil after a while because his face shone so that the israelites couldn't look at him directly. and that's just from looking at G!D's "Back". of course, many people don't know biblical hebrew, hence michelangelo's statue having horns, plus many daft medieval anti-semites thinking all jews had horns and tails (made us more demonic, you see) and other such silly conclusions.

hope that clears things up.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Thank you, I appreciate it. I like rich sources of info- I'll check it out. But what is the Moses/Bacchus connection? Don't you think it is kind of ridiculous? (to say the least)

I am not so quick to condemn. I'll put it in a little basket for future reference and discovery.

I have posted on this before. At least about Christ/Dionysos.

"Putting it in terms of the ancient mysteries, He acted like Dionysus. This is by no means a far-fetched idea; if you go to Rome and visit the catacombs, some of the tombs excavated under St. Peter's, you find Christ actually depicted by the early Christians as Dionysus. Perhaps we can see why."

-Br.Bruce

hello, man who has a banana for a brain,

the word for "horn" in hebrew is QeReN. "QeReN" also means "ray" - as in rays of light - and also "power"; if you look at the context you'll find that moses had to wear a veil after a while because his face shone so that the israelites couldn't look at him directly. and that's just from looking at G!D's "Back".
so let me get this straight, you yourself acknowledge that Moses saw God's back literally? so there is no double meaning to this story and can be taken literally and not symbolically, correct? that is cool, i thought that you were more of, " you can't take the bible literally because it is more symbolic" kind of person.
of course, many people don't know biblical hebrew, hence michelangelo's statue having horns, plus many daft medieval anti-semites thinking all jews had horns and tails (made us more demonic, you see) and other such silly conclusions.
sounds like a cowardly and supersticious lot, right? eh, what did they know!

Tell that to an ancient Greek. The Greek Mysteries were very powerful.

"Basket weaver" rather than being put in a basket.

Find me an ancient Greek. The mysteries were very powerful indeed. Fortunately they were false. You cannot compare the Lord of the universe to false gods and not expect a reaction.

As for "basket weaving", I live in the U.S. Not much call for that here. Although I understand it to be very meditative. You should try it, Br. Bruce.

Find me an ancient Greek. The mysteries were very powerful indeed. Fortunately they were false. You cannot compare the Lord of the universe to false gods and not expect a reaction.

As for "basket weaving", I live in the U.S. Not much call for that here. Although I understand it to be very meditative. You should try it, Br. Bruce.

Dear Patti,

Have you tried it with your feet?;)

-Br.Bruce

Back