halakhically

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
halakhically

Now BB is that a word? Or is that a BB word....I could be completely in left field but that seems an english suffix was added to a hebrew or yiddish word?

How common is that?

This thread is for words we use that really exist.

One of mine is ourcellves as in we can heal ourcellves.

And then of course we developed the phrase 'pulling a 17th' spending time on CR or in photoshop or.... when you are supposed to be working...

What words do you use that don't exist and/or that your group conventionally utilizes even though it is 'unsanctioned'

I used to curse....curse like crazy and every third word wasn't enough I had to insert curses between syllables of longer words, it was inf.....ncredible, I hear it today from others and think it absof.....nlutely ref....ndiculous. Amazing how judgmental one can be who strives to not be...

I've seen halachic and halachically used quite frequently. It takes the word "halachah" which is Jewish law, from the same root as "walking" and adds an English suffix. Halachically usually means something like "according to halachah" or "as halachah understands it." So I could say, "halachically speaking, it's really not okay to to have a bonfire on shabbos." It's similar to the word davenning which is a Yinglish form of the Yiddish word davennen. Other words and phrases that similarly play with the term halachah are "meta-halachic" and "psycho-halachic process."

One I use a lot is guestimate. Another, "edjimmycation' refers to use of slang over proper language. And another I heard recently from a friends mum talking about prostitutes was that it was a filthy "fornoccupation".

Thought of a few more:

reformadox -- someone whose ideology and home minyan is likely reform but who's very observant

conservadox -- same as above but with the conservative movement

conservaform -- I think this usually means someone who's home minyan is conservative but whose practice and ideology is much more reform.

conservadox and reformadox don't really make a whole lot of sense since their -doxy is conservative or liberal. might be better conservaprax and reformaprax. It's a bit silly we need the word conservadox since by definition all conservative jews who are engaged in their judaism are fairly observant. With some minor differences, R. Isaac Klein's code is pretty close to something Orthodox (granted he was older-school and a little right-wing.)

I think conservaforms are finding it's easier to find a home in a Reform shul now that it doesn't feel like going to a white anglo-saxon protestant church.

I love the 'word' discombobulate. :)

Hint - I feel all discombobulated.

I often make complicated into complimicated.

I also have some words for when I'm feeling down; gribly and murfle being two. Gribly is an adjective or adverb for feeling depressed and I think K and I started using it when we were at different uni's and were missing each other . 'Murfle' or 'mirfle' are what I say when I snuggle into his chest when feeling down, or if I want to snuggle into him but can't.

There are others I'm sure but I'm having a marshmallow-for-brains day and can't think of any more.

Back