another perhaps ill-advised question about j-witnesses

bananabrain

awkward squadnik
Reaction score
i have a question. i'm a big fan of the musician prince, going back some 25-odd years and 30-odd albums. i'm going to see him again in a couple of weeks in london, insha'Allah. i'm pretty familiar with his lyrical output, stage performance and general persona. he is said to be a j-witness. frankly, i don't really see how his lifestyle and behaviour is compatible with what seems to me to be a somewhat, well, puritanical and doctrinaire sect. does anyone have any insight into this? i'd particularly like to hear from mee.

b'shalom

bananabrain

A few years ago Prince was featured on bassplayer magazine, he talked about how his friend Larry Graham was a JW that knocked on doors, but he suggested that he was not yet into that sort of commitment.

I suppose we find folks in all religions that don't follow the tenants so admirably.

I knew a JW years ago...wife beater, alcoholic, but went to the hall and bible study regularly. I must say most that I know are not at all like that and not the norm.

I know those that claim Buddhism yet end up in bar fights...I'm sure we all have examples of less than exemplary individuals in our own belief system.

Of course pointing them out and noticing their foibles rather than focusing on our own....

I had a Mormon knock on my door the other day and guess what? It was Lemmy from Motorhead. Incredible.

s.

I had a Mormon knock on my door the other day and guess what? It was Lemmy from Motorhead. Incredible.

Did you get him to give you a signed Book of Mormon?

right, because they're going to get *him* to give up smoking and wear a suit - the man who wrote the lyric:

"I'M YOR VA-VA-VA-VIBRATORRRRR"

hur hur hur.

i suppose you're right, i just expected the JWs to be a bit more prescriptive about how people should behave. but then again larry graham's had his own problems of course..

bananabrain

One of many....

Dwight D.Eisenhower
Evelyn Mandela
Lieby Piliso
Lou Whitake
Venus/Serena Williams
Chet Lemon
Shont'e Peoples
Kid Gavilan
Dave Pear
Mar McCumber
Dave Meyers
Danny Granger
Travis Scott
Willie Wise
Selena(from Selena Quintanilla)
Hank Marvin
George Benson
Larry Graham
David Thomas
Herman Pizzanelli
Dave Hill
Rebbie Jackson
Michael Jackson /lapsed
Janet Jackson /lapsed lol
Katherine Jackson
La Toya Jackson
Jackson five
Ja Rule
Geri Halliwell
Patti Smith
Roy Harper
Jill Scott
La Lupe
Terrence Howard
Teresa Graves
Larkk Voorhies
Michelle Rodriguez
Wayans Brothers
Rustom Padilla
Carmina Villarroel
Naomi Campbell
Kim Holland
Mickey Spillane
Gloria Naylor

So.... Yeah.. But No, cetainly with "Prince" lol what a gay name... Him and many others for sure do not act correctly for JW's. He isn't a fully fledged publisher... Meaning he isn't the full monty JW... He is a newb ;) Although he was preaching in Gotham magazine? About Jehovah and how his x-rated lyrics and attitude and stuff is to change.

"When I look at the violence, I wonder where the parents are, but also where is God in their lives? A kid is an open computer ready for programming. Some weird relationships happen, smoking too early and sex." - Prince

I know those that claim Buddhism yet end up in bar fights...I'm sure we all have examples of less than exemplary individuals in our own belief system.

Bar fights are a nesscary evil in a man's life... :D They rock too! lol.

sorry to be off topic but I used to be a major Motorhead fan and you got me looking on youtube and I'm saddened to see that Kelly Johnson (of Girlschool) passed away last month.:(

Official Girlschool Website

Snoopy.

Was going to say if freaking Lemmy knocked on my door... I'd be on my knees doing the hero wave! And then would sign up to be a mormon....

I'm a mormon!
Wow, that is intresting never met a mormon so what are your belifes 17?
No, freaking, idea, but I chill with Lemmy day in day out.

i have a question. i'm a big fan of the musician prince, going back some 25-odd years and 30-odd albums. i'm going to see him again in a couple of weeks in london, insha'Allah. i'm pretty familiar with his lyrical output, stage performance and general persona. he is said to be a j-witness. frankly, i don't really see how his lifestyle and behaviour is compatible with what seems to me to be a somewhat, well, puritanical and doctrinaire sect. does anyone have any insight into this? i'd particularly like to hear from mee.

b'shalom

bananabrain
well i have heard through the grapevine, that he is , but i dont know for sure , maybe he is interested in studying the bible with the witnesses , i did also hear but only through the grapevine , that he attended a convention this year, and after all who are we to judge any one, we are all at different stages in our spiritual journey. and putting on the new personality can be a long hard job for us all . i have heard of other famous people becoming one of the great crowd who will get through the great tribulation REVELATION 7;9-10 those with the right heart respond to the GOODNEWS of the kingdom matthew 24;14................. nice

Back