All the religions in the world are the feathers of the same bird

Thomas,
Are you honestly saying here that all other religions are a preparation in life for the day one is enlightened in the Gospel of the Catholic Church?
If so, I read divine arrogance............
- c -

Christ's words, not mine ... nor the Catholic Church's.

If Scripture is true, then it is true, but no other sacra doctrina claims what the Christian Scriptures claim.

It was a tough truth to acknowledge then, it is now, and it probably always will be.

Thomas

If Scripture is true, then it is true, but no other sacra doctrina claims what the Christian Scriptures claim.

It was a tough truth to acknowledge then, it is now, and it probably always will be.

Thomas

How I wish Jesus Christ had written his own script..........for I never could abide biographies when an autobiography can speak only in the essence of known truth from it's own manifestation.........not others.
You know in the end whatever the truth, it is always of our own choosing.
And you have found yours in the Christian Scriptures.
I believe the light of The Spirit is able to touch all in grace, in the now and whenever possible.

- c -

Namaste Thomas,

You didn't quote Christ, you quoted the catechism...
Thomas said:
Indeed I could. But my first would be this: "The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as 'a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life.' "
Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 843.

How I wish Jesus Christ had written his own script..........for I never could abide biographies when an autobiography can speak only in the essence of known truth from it's own manifestation.........not others.
You know in the end whatever the truth, it is always of our own choosing.
And you have found yours in the Christian Scriptures.
I believe the light of The Spirit is able to touch all in grace, in the now and whenever possible.

- c -
-c-
I'm of the opinion that he likely did and it just never saw the light of day thanks to the efforts those who opposed Him and what he stood for in actuality. Lots of information from that era was suppressed and destroyed to serve the political purposes of others. We'll never know I'm afraid.

The Gospel of Thomas and the original version of Mark ( which was three times longer than what shows up in the NT) might change things. But at this point in time we might as well wish for money trees to sprout and grow in our back yards.

How's things by you ?

flow.... ;)

Hi everybody!

I just came across a good metaphor on religious pluralism.

The idea is, there is only one "core religion" in the world. Think of it as a house with windows. Each religion in the world today is one of the windows in that house. Looking into each window just gives us a different view of the same thing.

I like this metaphor.

I like that metaphor, too, and one that goes like this... first the foundation of the house had to be built, then the walls, then the roof. The builders of the foundation objected to the builders of the walls, saying that the foundation was complete and could not be added to. The builders of the walls objected to the builders of the roof, saying that their job was complete and could not be added to.

Namaste Thomas,
You didn't quote Christ, you quoted the catechism...

You're taking comments out of context, but yes ... and if you read the words of Christ, then the words of the Catechism follow.

In the history of the Christian Faith, one can trace the line of the proliferation of denominations according to time, and according to the interpretation of Scripture.

Catholic and Orthodox — the Christian world at large until the Reformation — are followers of the 'Fourfold Tradition', but the literal reading takes priority ... what Jesus said and did, He said and did.

From the Reformation on, the emphasis became 'what I think that means' and the World of Scripture is then limited to individual human reason, to the reason of Luther, of Calvin, of Zwingli, and so on.

Then the Enlightenment came along, and the opinion that He never even said it — a philosophical position founded on incredulity and disbelief, not on one shred of evidence — and it was open season from then on, history and tradition carries no more weight than the opinion of the bloke down the pub.

Today it's become almost axiomatic to the post-modern mind that Scripture means nothing beyond the meaning one chooses to read into it ... so we have Huston Smith's 'coffee table spirituality' and my 'pick 'n' mix' religion.

Its religion conformed to me, not me conforming myself to religion.

Thomas

How's things by you ?

flow.... ;)

Hi, flow,
Well the moment found me a perfect quote.........

My idea in "My Sweet Lord," because it sounded like a "pop song," was to sneak up on them a bit. The point was to have the people not offended by "Hallelujah," and by the time it gets to "Hare Krishna," they're already hooked, and their foot's tapping, and they're already singing along "Hallelujah," to kind of lull them into a sense of false security. And then suddenly it turns into "Hare Krishna," and they will all be singing that before they know what's happened, and they will think, "Hey, I thought I wasn't supposed to like Hare Krishna!"

George Harrison

I've been flowing through all the "Hey, I thought I wasn't supposed to like...........whatever...... whatever. And my it's a beautiful Peace on Earth to arrive in a new appreciation of "It's all right."

love - c -

Ciel, you said,
"Hey, I thought I wasn't supposed to like Hare Krishna!"
--> Says who? (Not me, that's for sure.) I watch Hare Krishnas, Buddhists, and Christians sing praise all the time. I see no need to make a distinction.

Ciel, you said,
"Hey, I thought I wasn't supposed to like Hare Krishna!"
--> Says who? (Not me, that's for sure.) I watch Hare Krishnas, Buddhists, and Christians sing praise all the time. I see no need to make a distinction.

No Nick, you misquote me. My own words were about the whatever whatevers. :) And when we move beyond the boundaries of preconception the peace and enjoyment to be that is beyond all understanding.

No need to ruffle feathers.........watch the feather float.

peace - c -

Ciel, you said,
"And when we move beyond the boundaries of preconception the peace and enjoyment to be that is beyond all understanding."
--> You have described my belief system perfectly. I am reminded of how mystics, when they are asked to describe their deep mystical experiences, are said to refuse to even try.

And yet the great mystics stand firmly and unquestionably within Tradition — indeed, they are the products of the Tradition: Eckhart. Ibn'Arabi, Shankara ... name the tradition of your choice ... you will not find one who decries the vine of which they are the fruit.

I think they stay silent because they know that man will assume the freedom he chooses to exercise is the same freedom as that of which they could speak.

Thomas

Hi, flow,
Well the moment found me a perfect quote.........

My idea in "My Sweet Lord," because it sounded like a "pop song," was to sneak up on them a bit. The point was to have the people not offended by "Hallelujah," and by the time it gets to "Hare Krishna," they're already hooked, and their foot's tapping, and they're already singing along "Hallelujah," to kind of lull them into a sense of false security. And then suddenly it turns into "Hare Krishna," and they will all be singing that before they know what's happened, and they will think, "Hey, I thought I wasn't supposed to like Hare Krishna!"

George Harrison

I've been flowing through all the "Hey, I thought I wasn't supposed to like...........whatever...... whatever. And my it's a beautiful Peace on Earth to arrive in a new appreciation of "It's all right."

love - c -

I love that Beatles song! Hare Krishna!

I've read that the Greek word for Messiah (Christ) comes from Krishna.

Hi, Dah-veeth, and greetings. :)

- Christina -

Greetings Christina! :)

This bird that represents every religion... I picture a very colorful, tropical bird.... or maybe a starling.. they're black, but they have tons of colors all over the black... they're extremely colorful, and yet black :)

Greetings Christina! :)

This bird that represents every religion... I picture a very colorful, tropical bird.... or maybe a starling.. they're black, but they have tons of colors all over the black... they're extremely colorful, and yet black :)

And I see a Dove of Peace...............white bird and black bird as one. :)

- c -

Jehovah is "wise alone" Only he is able to peer into the future.

Remember, Jehovah uses the farseeing eagle to symbolize divine wisdom
A golden eagle may weigh a mere ten pounds [5 kg], but its eyes are larger than those of a full-grown man.

The eagle’s eyesight is amazingly keen, enabling the bird to spot tiny prey from thousands of feet aloft, perhaps even from miles away! Jehovah himself once said of the eagle: "Far into the distance its eyes keep looking." (Job 39:29) In a similar sense, Jehovah can look "far into the distance" of time—the future!

God is the All-Seeing, the All-Hearing! :)

Birds can see and hear better than people, but God is much greater than a bird :)

"And
I saw, and I heard an eagle flying in midheaven say with a loud voice: ‘Woe, woe, woe to those dwelling on the earth because of the rest of the trumpet blasts of the three angels who are about to blow their trumpets!’"—Revelation 8:13.

An eagle flies high in the sky, so that people in a wide area can see it.

It has exceptionally keen sight and can see a long way ahead of itself. (Job 39:29)
One of the four cherubic living creatures around God’s throne was pictured as a flying eagle. (Revelation 4:6, 7)
Whether it is this cherub or another farsighted servant of God, it loudly proclaims a dynamic message: "woe woe woe

God is the All-Seeing, the All-Hearing! :)

Birds can see and hear better than people, but God is much greater than a bird :)
"Those who are hoping in Jehovah will regain power. They will mount up with wings like eagles
ISAIAH 40:31.
Jehovah Gives to the Tired One Power

Back