reasons to trust the bible

M

mee

scientific Accuracy..............Science has made great strides in modern times .As a result,old theories have given way to new ones.What was once accepted as fact may now be seen as myth,Science text books often need revision.The Bible is not a science text book ,yet when it comes to scientific matters the bible is noteworthy not only for what it says but also for what it does not say.

Bad move to equate religious literature with science, and vice versa.

There's a weird conflicting mood within a lot of spiritual movements, which claim to be validated by science - then rewrite what actually constitutes. Take evolution for example...

I also don't think we're going to see scientific acceptance that rainbows didn;t exist before Noah - so far as I can tell, the fundamentals of physic are believed to have settled into place billions of years ago, not a few thousand. :)

the bible is free of unscientific views, many mistaken beliefs gained wide ecceptance in ancient times, views about the earth ranged from the idea that it was flat to the notion that tangible substances or objects held it aloft. long before science learned about the spread and prevention of disease, physicians employed some pratices that were ineffective at best, lethal at worst.But not once in its more than 1,100 chapters does the bible endorse any unscientific views or harmful pratices.

So you agree with Evolution of Species?
I believe what the bible teaches .
Often, what scientists choose to call the evolution of a new species is simply a matter of variation within a “kind,” as the word is used in the Genesis account.

We were just this weekend discussing those that believe the bible is scientifically proven...lining up their scientist that show the earth and humans created in 7 days...all the dino stuff made up by G!d to challenge us...instant canyonification creating the Grand Canyon and the rest of them during the great flood...

Now folks finding scientists to prove this and folks believing those scientists...is that a miracle...or a problem with religion??

We were just this weekend discussing those that believe the bible is scientifically proven...lining up their scientist that show the earth and humans created in 7 days...all the dino stuff made up by G!d to challenge us...instant canyonification creating the Grand Canyon and the rest of them during the great flood...

Now folks finding scientists to prove this and folks believing those scientists...is that a miracle...or a problem with religion??
the bible doesnt teach that the earth was created in 7 litral 24 hour days

We can understand and measure atomic decay and this knowledge was predicted using scientific theory. The accuracy of such measurements are like predicting the distance between London and New York to within a few millimetres. The fact is that using these measurements we know the age of the sun, the rocks our planet is made of and the age to within a decade or two of the oldest organic remains we can find. Such accurate science all tells us that Earth is about 4.54 Billion years old. And that microbial life flourished almost immediately. You share up to 20% of your DNA with these first bugs.
So you can look in your old book, cooked together an eyeblink ago in geological history and say you find what you will. So will Islam. So will Judaism? So will every other crackpot that wants to convince others they are the one to follow and give $ to.

Tao

PS, When is the next end of the world?

The fact is that using these measurements we know the age of the sun.

I wasn't aware that we determine the age of the sun using Carbon-14 dating. Did we find a sun rock somewhere and measure it? I thought that the age of the sun is determined by the calculating mass of the sun with the rate of burn.

I wasn't aware that we determine the age of the sun using Carbon-14 dating. Did we find a sun rock somewhere and measure it? I thought that the age of the sun is determined by the calculating mass of the sun with the rate of burn.

First if you read it again I never said we "carbon date" the Sun. And you cannot carbon date silicon rocks either. There are other ways to date the sun too like, as I intended it to be understood, by atomic decay. The purpose of my post was to show that in many sciences we have had theories that made predictions, were tested and proven to be accurate in dating things. My apologies if you could not see that.

tao

scientific Accuracy..............Science has made great strides in modern times .As a result,old theories have given way to new ones.What was once accepted as fact may now be seen as myth,Science text books often need revision.The Bible is not a science text book ,yet when it comes to scientific matters the bible is noteworthy not only for what it says but also for what it does not say.

Is medicine "science"? Then indeed the Bible is a book of science. In fact, the "scientist" who mapped the human genome, gives credit to the Bible for helping him figure it out. "Franklin Collins" wrote a book called, "The language of God". You should read it Mee. I think you might be pleasantly surprised at what such a reknowned scientist thinks of God, the Bible and Science...

v/r

Q

Must be noted that this book writing evangelist (k-ching !$!) is only one of many directors of the human genome project and is unique amongst them in his views....(k-Ching $$$).

Is medicine "science"? Then indeed the Bible is a book of science. In fact, the "scientist" who mapped the human genome, gives credit to the Bible for helping him figure it out. "Franklin Collins" wrote a book called, "The language of God". You should read it Mee. I think you might be pleasantly surprised at what such a reknowned scientist thinks of God, the Bible and Science...

v/r

Q
is that the book by Francis .s collins. A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief . i might just have a read of that

long..
what does it teach, mee?

The fact is that the Hebrew word translated “day” can mean various lengths of time, not just a 24-hour period. For example, when summarizing God’s creative work, Moses refers to all six creative days as one day. (Genesis 2:4) In addition, on the first creative day, “God began calling the light Day, but the darkness he called Night.” (Genesis 1:5) Here, only a portion of a 24-hour period is defined by the term “day.” Certainly, there is no basis in Scripture for arbitrarily stating that each creative day was 24 hours long.
How long, then, were the creative days? The wording of Genesis chapters 1 and 2 indicates that considerable lengths of time were involved.

So you agree with Evolution of Species?
No. The record clearly states that God created all the basic “kinds” of plant and animal life. (Genesis 1:11, 12, 20-25) The bible states that living creatures “swarmed forth according to their kinds.” (Genesis 1:21)
This statement implies that there is a limit to the amount of variation that can occur within a “kind.” Both the fossil record and modern research support the idea that the fundamental categories of plants and animals have changed little over vast periods of time.
Contrary to the claims of some Fundamentalists, Genesis does not teach that the universe, including the earth and all living things on it, was created in a short period of time in the relatively recent past. Rather, the description in Genesis of the creation of the universe and the appearance of life on earth harmonizes with many recent scientific discoveries.

long..

The fact is that the Hebrew word translated “day” can mean various lengths of time, not just a 24-hour period. For example, when summarizing God’s creative work, Moses refers to all six creative days as one day. (Genesis 2:4) In addition, on the first creative day, “God began calling the light Day, but the darkness he called Night.” (Genesis 1:5) Here, only a portion of a 24-hour period is defined by the term “day.” Certainly, there is no basis in Scripture for arbitrarily stating that each creative day was 24 hours long.
How long, then, were the creative days? The wording of Genesis chapters 1 and 2 indicates that considerable lengths of time were involved.
If this is the case what does that do to the math leading to 1914?

The bible has scientifically sound statements.
Some 3,500years ago,the bible stated that the earth is hanging ..upon nothing..JOB 26;7 In the eighth century B.C.E.Isaiah clearly referred to ...the circle of the earth....(or sphere)of the earth. ISAIAH 40;22.A spherical earth held in empty space without any visible or physical means of support.... does not that description sound remarkably modern?

Back