The Name "Jesus": Please teach me

Manji2012

Reaction score
Sorry to waste people's time with giving me answers but although I feel confident in understanding the word "Christ" well enough for my concern, I do not know what is Jesus.

Like, I think Christ is just greek for the Jewish word Messiah, which means anoited one. Kings, priests, and prophets were anoited. Then I am open minded to the idea that annoiting is also an Egyptian practice as well.

But what about Jesus? Three words come to mind, Immanuel, Yeshua, and Jesus. Okay, so, Immanuel means, "God with us". What does Yeshua mean? Where did Jesus come from? What is the name that Jesus was called by name if we Know?

Where does the word "Jesus" come from and what does it mean?

The Hebrew name Yehowshua' "the LORD saves" (generally rendered "Joshua") often got shortened to Yeshua' "he saves" due to a Jewish reluctance to use the Sacred Name unnecessarily; in Greek this became Iesous (because there is no "sh" sound so that became just "s", and names ending in -a would be feminine so the final -s was tacked on to make it masculine), which eventually became Jesus (the "J" letter meant a "y" sound for a long time, only took on its present pronunciation recently).
You are correct about "Christ" (the cognate word in English is "greased") and "Messiah" (the cognate word in English is "massaged") being just the Greek word and the Hebrew word for "rubbed with oil"; the ritual of "anointing" ("anoint" is cognate to "ointment", again meaning an oil-rub) was used in various eastern Mediterranean cultures, Egyptian as well as Greek and Hebrew, and others as well, to install a king or a priest or other sacred personages like prophets into their office.

Here is something else to consider, Manji, in addition to what bob x has shared. Look, especially, at the last line of the definition:
The Hebrew name Jah or Jehovah became identified in the mind of Christians with the name of Jesus, although Jesus never was in any wise identical with the Jewish Jehovah, but was identified in initiation through his own inner god or Father in Heaven, and the Jewish Jehovah mystically was the regent of the planet Saturn. [one of the Seven Spirits before the Throne]
The first three letters in Greek make I.H.S. placed at the head of representations of the crucified Jesus, often said to stand for Iesus Hominum Salvator (Jesus the savior of men) or In hoc signo (in this sign), with reference to the alleged vision of a cross of the Emperor Constantine. Jesus is a form of a worldwide mystery-name, whose importance was its meaning, usually given as a three-letter monogram, analogous to the Sanskrit Aum. We find it in the Greek Gnostic Iao and variants are common in ancient Greece, such as Iasios, Iasion, Iason, Iasos; and initiates were known as Iasides or sons of Iaso. -- Encyclopedia Theosophical Glossary
If this at all interests you, you may wish to read more on this page, scrolling down to the entry on Iao. :)

ur not wasting anyone's time, manji...

as u have understood, Christ comes from Christos, which is supposedly Greek for" annointed one".... Jesus, I thought, was his actual name, his "given" name, and was a popular name at that time in that area...

"...In the New Testament, Jesus is a proper name derived and transliterated (not translated) from an anarthrous (without any definite article) Greek noun Ieesoús, which is pronounced as sounding similar to the Spanish version of Jesus “ee-ay-sooce” or “ee-yay-sooce.”

Ieesoús is first used for Joshua in the Septuagint; the Septuagint is a Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament that was produced about 280 B.C. for Hellenistic (Greek speaking) Jews living at Alexandria. By the time Jesus was born, the Septuagint had become widely circulated and was the Old Testament Bible used in most Jewish synagogues because Hebrew was a fading dialect.

The reason I mention how and where this Greek word Ieesoún began being used in Scriptures is twofold. First, Ieesoús is the Greek word for ‘Jesus’ in the New Testament. Secondly, in the Septuagint Greek Old Testament, Ieesoún is the same word used for Joshua in Numbers 3:16. "

I got the above from: Bible Answers Q & A: Does Jesus’ Name Mean “Yahweh the Savior”?

hope that helps... adios

Is Jah, the same as Yahweh and is Jah the same as the Rastas sing about.??
Simplest answer ... yep!

Might wanna ask bananabrain about the Tetragrammaton, however. That will lead to a lengthier, more scholarly answer. ;)

an anarthrous (without any definite article) Greek noun Ieesoús
Actually, it is usually an arthrous noun: most times the Greek reads ho Iehsous "the Jesus", which sounds strange to our ears.

in Greek this became Iesous (because there is no "sh" sound so that became just "s", and names ending in -a would be feminine so the final -s was tacked on to make it masculine), which eventually became Jesus (the "J" letter meant a "y" sound for a long time, only took on its present pronunciation recently).

ah I see. That's where Islam gets Isa.

Is that pronounced IS-AH or EYES-AH?

... Jesus, I thought, was his actual name, his "given" name, and was a popular name at that time in that area...
Namaste Francis,

Yes modern version of the popular name, although with all the names in the bible they don't mention another... (ie me thinks they didn't call each other John, Thomas or Matthew either) Interesting how HeyZeus (Jesus) is popular in Mexico now. I don't know if it is all Hispanic countries or not, but I've only met folks from Mexico with that name.

So but for me then it gets fun, where the divide occurs. We've got this child named Jesus who is born, yet wasn't called Christ in his life. The Christ movement or Messiah movement was going on at the time but it was after the crucifixion that he became identified with that name.

Some groups say he was born Christ. Some say he was born Jesus and discovered his Christhood as he grew and learned. Some insist Christ Jesus, others Jesus Christ, others Christed Jesus, and others Jesus the Christ.

Paul tells us to put the mind of Jesus in us. Jesus says we are son's of G!d and can do more than he. Are you ready Manji2012 the Christ?

Back