If you are wrong, do you go to hell?

Marsh

Disagreeable By Nature
Reaction score
This one is directed specifically for all of the Muslims, Jews, and Christians out there, but all are invited to reply. Although we all believe in one God, it's pretty clear that we have far different opinions of who God is. One interesting issue arising from this conflict of belief is that of hell: namely, do we go there if we have chosen to worship the 'wrong God?' We each believe that we are right about God: that we know who he is, and that he chose us to reveal his true self to. We can't all be right.

I choose to believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God, and in my Bible he makes it clear that he, and only he, is the way to God: through Jesus, and only through Jesus, can a person save themself. If I am wrong about Jesus, will I go to hell? If I am right about him, will you go to hell?

In order not to narrow down the discussion, I won't reply until at least 10 responses have come in (if they do, that is; for all I know you'll find this topic too boring to respond to). But I do promise to share my heart on this matter as well.

If you are right, then according to Christian teachings, having rejected Christ, I will most certainly go to hell. *crosses fingers* However, if YOU are wrong, then where you end up depends entirely on who is right, and the beliefs are extremely diverse. If Islam is correct, then I THINK you will go to hell, but I don't know enough about Islam to really say. And if the Jewish are right, then you will simply siece to exist after death. However, most religions that believe in such judgement don't believe that souls will be judged based on their religious beliefs, other factors are what determines where you wind up. Namely how you BEHAVE. So, if you are wrong about God, the real truth probably won't dwell too much on that fact, and will concern itself more with how you behaved.

Kindest Regards!
Silent Wind River said:
If you are right, then according to Christian teachings, having rejected Christ, I will most certainly go to hell. *crosses fingers* However, if YOU are wrong, then where you end up depends entirely on who is right, and the beliefs are extremely diverse. If Islam is correct, then I THINK you will go to hell, but I don't know enough about Islam to really say. And if the Jewish are right, then you will simply siece to exist after death. However, most religions that believe in such judgement don't believe that souls will be judged based on their religious beliefs, other factors are what determines where you wind up. Namely how you BEHAVE. So, if you are wrong about God, the real truth probably won't dwell too much on that fact, and will concern itself more with how you behaved.
Quite right! It is not enough to believe in the Bible, it is what you do with that belief. Indeed, if you live your life by those guides (the "doing"), and never crack the book, you still get the opportunity to gain heaven.

Marsh said:
We each believe that we are right about God: that we know who he is, and that he chose us to reveal his true self to. We can't all be right.

I disagree...I personally feel that God reveals only portions of his intended message to humanity at any given place and time, and that all religions are legitimate paths to God. There are so many similarities between world religions that I find it hard to believe any other way.

I think anyone who genuinely tries to develop a relationship with God, who actively seeks his wisdom and who treats others well will grow continuously closer to God and to "heaven."

QG

The Catholic religion states that one must be baptized to reach heaven. However, they have three different ways to be baptized. Water ignorance and blood. Water is being baptized, well, in water. Ignorance is when an individual has never heard/been thought the message of Christ and for this reason is not baptized by water. Blood is when someone is intending to become baptized (Note: preparation for baptism in the catholic religion takes about a year) but dies before it has happened. If you fit any of those then depending on how you act on earth, you can go to heaven. Provided you spend enough time in purgatory to cleanse your self.

I am catholic but my views on heaven and hell are slightly different. I think God wishes All people to enter heaven so after we die anyone who wishes may. But because God doesn't allow sin in heaven in order to get there you have to completely give up sin. because I believe sin to be not excepting or acting upon God's opinion, those who do not wish to enter heaven by excepting and acting upon God's opinion can choose Hell. Hell isn't a firery torture pit. It is never described that way in the Bible. Hell is simply a place full of sinners with no rules and thus is chaos. Now I think it is described by people as horrible torment because it is always described by people who where particularly holy and would hate Hell. You never see Hell described by a sinner. Now because God will not take away our freedom of choice those who wish to enter heaven but cannot completely rid them self of sin at the very moment of their death go to purgatory. It is a purifying place but not a less severe version of Hell But more like a Rehab for sinners. If in Purgatory you can completely rid yourself of sin you can then enter heaven.

Interesting question and one that will not be answered until we do meet our maker! Does anyone fancy doing a flatliner, coming back and giving us the answer?;)

Brings to mind an old comedy sketch with Smith & Jones, where GRJ plays the devil 'meeting' the new souls entering the after-life, where the Jews were the ones who had it right all along.

I find it inconceivable that somebody who does not practise a particular faith but lives a good life will be sent to hell because they did not seek God as prescribed by a particular faith but that a person who has sought God in that faith but has lived a questionable life will find heaven awaiting when they die.
Doesn't make sense somehow.

Well, I think that it may be more complex.

Certainly Christians worship the same God as those who follow Judaism. Our own book declares that "if you are in Christ, you are Abraham's seed" -- a Jew!

What about a typical follower of Islam, however? By their confessions, Christians and Jews have only a partial revelation: we must worship a different God than Islam.

The principle confession of Judaism, and thereby Christianity, is that the LORD our God is ONE. However, it seems, if we work from the biblical viewpoint, that the reason the peoples before the Israelites were conquered by the Israelites was that they were committing gross immoralities. In Amos, God even claims to have worked through many different peoples, having brought the Philistines and the Syrians and others to their current lands.

So I don't know.

I think you picked me up slightly wrong about the Jews getting right all along, this was nothing more than a comedy sketch on the TV a good while ago that I have never forgot cos I it was very funny....and I got the comedian who did it wrong when I think about it, it was Rowan Atkinson playing Satan.

Truthfully I believe that nobody is wrong in how they practise their religion. Our Maker goes by many names IMO and it depends upon the civilisation that you're born into as to what name the Maker goes by. As to who is right at the end of the day.... We can hypothesise until our dying day but it is only when we do die that will know the answer to all of our questions along these lines. We have some answers already in the form of Near Death Experiences and in past life regressions where the past life can be corroborated (reincarnation does occur). I see religion as man-made not God made, the laws held within each and every religion are laws of good moral conduct and to love your maker and the creation. Not bad laws to live by but if we all look deep within ourselves we will find that we were all given our own code of conduct to live by in our hearts. I don't see anything complex in it at all, it is man that makes life complicated and belief is complicated further when we look about at the monotheist religions where each one insists their way is the only way to find God and happiness in an afterlife.

Until the day when we will receive all answers the best thing to do is just to live life to its best and treat others fairly.

Marsh said:
I choose to believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God, and in my Bible he makes it clear that he, and only he, is the way to God: through Jesus, and only through Jesus, can a person save themself. If I am wrong about Jesus, will I go to hell? If I am right about him, will you go to hell?
Dear Marsh,

I started a thread on the Baha'i board of this forum entitled "The Only Way". I listed similar statements from several religions. If we all agree there is only One God, why should this be such a source of contention. My understanding of this concept is...during the dispensation of Christ, yes, he was 'the way'. But I believe that all of the messengers have come to deliver God's message and that spirit is 'the way' throughout history. Christ told us to expect His return in the Glory of the Father and when that occurs 'the way' will be the same spirit, in a different body.

As a Baha'i, my understanding of heaven and hell is different from the typical view. Heaven and Hell are not physical places but rather conditions. Heaven is nearness to God and Hell is remoteness from God. So if we all strive to be near to God we can be in Heaven while on earth.

Loving Greetings, Harmony

For those that use the Bible as the source of their belief system I would like to say that the Bible does not teach a fiery hell.

When we die the Bible says we are dead, we feel nothing and know nothing. A loving God would not go against his own standards and commit people to a fiery hell. The Hebrew and Greek words prodominetly translated hell opnly mean the grave. Bible translators have a lot to answer for this false concept.

There is no fiery hell for unbeleivers and there is no after life for the majority of mankind. The meek shall inherit the EARTH not heaven

Marsh, I thought you wrote an interesting topic of discussion.

I was a strict Christian for many years and now I follow a variety of principles in faith, many of which are still strongly influenced by the Christian religion.

I believe that God is a Supreme Intelligence that, as the creator of our world, would also have an intelligence and wisdom both superior to us mortals.

There are many very valid religions. I mean religions that support a sustainable society or culture in which people live harmoniously and peacefully. Some of these religions are far more ancient than the Christian faith, and some are alot newer. I do not think that the validity of a religion is affected by its age. And assuming that these have divine guidance, nor do I hope does God.

Having said this, I feel that being presented with a variety of valid religions to follow and then being asked to choose the correct one is extremely unfair. I am not God... (or am I) I compare this to giving a child money to buy candy in a shop and then punishing them when the buy the wrong candy. How is the child to know which candy to choose.

Is it Gods intention that we discuss and argue until the end of times? Which is the correct way to worship him? How do we discern the works of God and the works of men? Surely there is a greater meaning to religions than to be constantly caught up in the conflict of who is correct.

If the God I follow can hear me, he knows that I am sincere in following the Divine Creator of who I am. I can only hope that she/he/it/all is a benelovent God of understanding while being able to understand my predicament.

If God isn't both benelovent and understanding, then is God truly worth my worship?

Like Ben kinda mentioned, there's a third part of the equation. Conception of hell itself. By the Vulgate derived creeds, yup. By all accounts of Islam (that I know of), yup. Judaism I don't think believes in hell, but you'll find no favor with God if you don't follow the laws, etc.

I look at the statements of Jesus as 'the only way, and other paths lead to Gehenna', as meaning, if you don't see the truth, then you are doomed in general. Not to a physical punishment in a netherworld, though. And by that token, I believe all paths that are true lead 'through' Jesus even if its not identified as such.

I hope not.:)

Actually, I don't think I believe in discrete "heavens" and "hells". I come out of a religious tradition that doesn't have an orthodox understanding of heaven and hell, anyway, but I don't buy their picture of the afterlife, either. I guess what it comes down to is that I think the afterlife, should it exist, is a whole lot more egalitarian than monotheists, especially, think it is.

Marsh said:
This one is directed specifically for all of the Muslims, Jews, and Christians out there, but all are invited to reply. Although we all believe in one God, it's pretty clear that we have far different opinions of who God is. One interesting issue arising from this conflict of belief is that of hell: namely, do we go there if we have chosen to worship the 'wrong God?' We each believe that we are right about God: that we know who he is, and that he chose us to reveal his true self to. We can't all be right.

In order not to narrow down the discussion, I won't reply until at least 10 responses have come in (if they do, that is; for all I know you'll find this topic too boring to respond to). But I do promise to share my heart on this matter as well.
nonsense... i didnt want to come to this world in a muslim country...
consider the options for me to be a muslim and being a christian.. or think about the guy/gal that was born in the suburbs of Johannesburg in S. Africa.
If islam is the right one, what is Christ's fault apart from borning (!) in errrmm Sweden where he sees Christian ppl all over him and thought him that jesus is da man! Yeah i know the good ole story of how human has the right to set his religion, but im talking about the chances, my friends.
Who can say that my beings of becoming a christian is more then him being a christian? (vice versa).
So to sum up, going to hell, if GOD has a brain, can not be determine according to the religion hence it will be VERY VERY unfair..

goto greece )

Fear of hell, and helicopter, smart bomb accident

I used to be troubled with the prospect of getting to hell.

And I am still troubled.

But my trouble today is somewhat like being troubled when I leave the house that a helicopter might crash on me.

The thought of hell still sends a shiver down my spine whatever rationalization of hell I have in my mind about its existence or its rationality, the latter is that hell is not rational, at least not the Christian version of the everlasting kind.

At present I just have to live with the fear of hell, just like I live with the fear of being hit by a smart bomb.

And yet, helicopter and smart bomb are more fearful to me than hell, except that hell has a longer history with me than helicopter and smart bomb.

Will I get to hell for the kind of thinking and feeling that I have about hell?

It's up to the God if He is the author of hell.

I sometimes make fun of the Apostles's Creed, that line about God being creator of heaven and earth: I would recite that line thus: "I believe in God the Father almighty, creator of heaven and hell..."

If God is reading this, and He is reading everything, for nothing escapes Him, "Please, God, don't send me to hell, because I don't think I deserve it; besides, You wouldn't want something like a hell to exist for the remainder of eternity with your own eixstence -- for it does not make sense".

"It does not make sense, because I being a non-God, unlike You, still have the good sense to make sure that no such place get to be and operate in my small lot of an earthly plot of land, like for example a patch of wild uncut and untrimmed lawn; because it would be a continuous source of discredit to my own sense of being an orderly person, concerned with keeping my environment, which is under my control, always clean and green and fresh and pleasant."

So, am I afraid of hell? Still afraid of hell; but God is sensible like me.

Pachomius2000

[admin edit by I, Brian: font turned down to size 2, instead of size 5 :) ]

Re: Fear of hell, and helicopter, smart bomb accident

Susma Rio Sep said:

So, am I afraid of hell? Still afraid of hell; but God is sensible like me.

Pachomius2000

who else is god if not you

yawn

Religion was invented by Cain and Able. Able chose to sacrifice his best animal to God for atonement. (one variation of religion), Cain chose to sacrifice the second portion of his best fruit for atonement (a second variation of religion). The two argued and fought over this and one of them died as a result.

Now God explained to Cain that his brother's blood cried out to Him from the earth where it was spilled, and God decreed that Cain would wander the earth with no place to call his own, but God's mark upon Cain would save him from death at the hands of men (and beasts). However, Cain would not have God to comfort him either. In effect, God did Cain no favors. He put Cain into isolation. He made Cain an 'outcast'.

Perhaps Cain being set and put apart from other men and from God was the beginning of the concept of hell. He was alone.

Cain's choice of sacrifice was not what he did wrong (that part was just a mistake), and God told him so. But Cain's decision to take it out on his brother for God's rejection of his sacrifice (because Able outdid him), was WRONG. Cain watched in envy and anger as Able's sacrifice was accepted by God... So God set Cain apart from all, including God's self.

Cain and Able were not Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or any other faith. They were Cain's way, and Able's way. What caused the one to fall (both fell actually), was acting in Man's way.

Rather than repent for his mistake, and doing the sacrifice again, this time with the first parts of his Fruit, he chose to take his anger out on his brother. Cain refused to accept responsibility for his mistakes, and in turn blamed his misery on some one else. Then he went one further and took vengence on some one else, for mistakes he himself had made (refusal to be accountable for his own actions).

Cain put himself in hell. We are all capable of doing the same thing.

v/r

Q

Hmmm! That's a good take, Quahom. I'll copy and paste that for later.

Interesting answer - I like the Cain vs Abel perspective. :)

Back