If you are wrong, do you go to hell?

Hi. I'm a Jew. I'm new. I've always been taught that Judaism is a religion due to a covenant between God and the Jews, so these things do not apply to other people. So certainly God could have made other covenants with other people or had revelations to people other than the Jews. The only exception to this is gentiles who accept the laws of Noah, which were laws for the resident alien back in the day. By doing this, they would face the same afterlife a Jew would.

Then again, I personally have no strong feelings about the afterlife. Whatever will be will be.

Dauer

dauer said:
Hi. I'm a Jew. I'm new. I've always been taught that Judaism is a religion due to a covenant between God and the Jews, so these things do not apply to other people. So certainly God could have made other covenants with other people or had revelations to people other than the Jews. The only exception to this is gentiles who accept the laws of Noah, which were laws for the resident alien back in the day. By doing this, they would face the same afterlife a Jew would.

Then again, I personally have no strong feelings about the afterlife. Whatever will be will be.

Dauer
Que sera, sera...Welcome Dauer! :D

Hope you enjoy reading everyone's thoughts on issues here, and will consider posting more of yours.

Warning: It can get intense, as there are soooo many intelligent persons of conviction here.

But then, as my Dad says "Debate is Great, 'cause it fuels the mind and soul"

v/r

Q

More Confusion or enlightenment you decide

Jesus Did say I
am the way
He Did say No one comes to the Father but through hIm
He also said before Abraham was "I AM"
Talked about other flocks ?
And many more things mysterious that might linke Him to many diferent religions
I Ask you Fire and Brimstone Preacher who ever you might be
Do you want to put limits on what your God is allowed to do?
Would you like to put a limit on save the Sins of the whole world
Is Christs Blood capapble of certain things But yet in other no more powerful than laundry detergent .

I have I Bible I can read Find I understand well most things

another words if Gods see's the good in my neighbor that I dont will I reakk care at thay point?

Peace

But like Paul I say Great is the Mystery

Who Knows the measure of Gods mercy ?
I dont want the Job of Judgement If there is a hell that Sinners and unbelievers are bound for I dont want to decide who goes and who stays.
If I did I know who I would send First This wretched Man that I am I die Daily
but remember Christ Died to sace sinners of whom I am chief.

Peace

From my strictly Christian believe:

Yes Jesus did say he was the one way, and he also said no one comes to the father but through me, and salvation is by faith alone that no one enters based on works.

Is Christs Blood capapble of certain things But yet in other no more powerful than laundry detergent .
depends on how much you put into the teachings around it...doesnt it basically teach that we have to believe/have faith that he died for our sins to actually make it more powerful than laundry detergent.

As far as what that would mean if Im right to everyone else I just can say Im glad I dont have that job.:(

Ok, so most people who agree that there is a hell also agree that one does not get sentenced to hell for having believed in the "wrong" religion (assuming that there's a right one).

So... who does go to hell?

christians agree that only accepting jesus can you go too heaven and be forgiven your sins.

therefore
Hitler goes to heaven because he was a christian but Gandi goes to hell.

khut said:
christians agree that only accepting jesus can you go too heaven and be forgiven your sins.

therefore
Hitler goes to heaven because he was a christian but Gandi goes to hell.
Good morning Khut,

Perhaps certain people claiming Christianity stand by this absolute, however they conveniently (or innocently) forget what Jesus said concerning the judgment of man.

He said there will be those that he knows, and there will be those that claim to be of Him, but He will deny them saying He knows them not. They will not be convicted by what they said in Life, but rather how they acted. He emphasises that how we treat eachother is how we inevitably treat Him (e.g. by clothing, helping, feeding, teaching, treating others with compassion, we in fact do the same to the Lord).

How do you think Jesus will respond to Hitler now?

Looking back on (Mahatma) Ghandi's life, I presume, and refering to the criteria noted above, where do you think Ghandi is/will be?

v/r

Q

Note: Ghandi once said, "I love Christianity, and I would become one glady...if I could find a real Christian."

Dear Q

Quahom1 Note: Ghandi once said said:
Love it.......that is so true!

Many pay lip service but few walk the talk or the teachings, but hey as life is eternal we get another go at it...

Blessings in abundance

Sacredstar

Sacredstar said:
...Many pay lip service but few walk the talk or the teachings, but hey as life is eternal we get another go at it...

Sacredstar
He, he, he, if what you say is true, and your basis is on the Zodiacal wheel, I'd better get it right, this time, 'cause this is my last trip on this third rock from the sun. (I'm a March baby) <Fish<---->Fish> :D

v/r

Q

The answer lyes in the story of Abraham. He left his country and his family to seek God for himself. God mad e him a promise which applies to us. Abraham left his familiar surroundings(religion/doctrine) and delved into the unknown(faith) . All 3 major monotheistic religions go back to him. We shpould learn a lesson from him and allow the spirit of truth to guide us.

didymus said:
The answer lyes in the story of Abraham. He left his country and his family to seek God for himself. God mad e him a promise which applies to us. Abraham left his familiar surroundings(religion/doctrine) and delved into the unknown(faith) . All 3 major monotheistic religions go back to him. We shpould learn a lesson from him and allow the spirit of truth to guide us.

Neat take on it; I'm totally going to steal that parallel for myself the next time I get into a debate on faith.

On your point, Khut: I'm a Christian, and I don't think that only people who accept Jesus get into heaven. Jesus said that nobody can come to the Father except through him, it's true. However, Jesus never said who the Father can go to. See what I mean? But sadly you are correct in that most of our theology rests on this bit of... er... exclusiveness.

Hey all, I am a devout Jew and thought I should drop in to add to the discussion. In Judaism, and as was mentioned before, G-d created a covenant between the Jews and himself. Such a convenant does not apply to non-Jews. The only obligation, according to Judaism, of a non-Jew is to follow the seven laws of noah(these are pretty basic things). Assuming there is a non-Jew who follows these seven things then he is as righteous in the eyes of the Lord as a Jew. Judaism is a very forgiving religion, and reincarnation is also built in for those who flub it the first few times. The concept of extinction only applies to those who repeatedly commit grievous sins after being given a number of chances. I have heard it said that this category maybe so evil that Hitler himself would not fall into it, though no Jew can really know for sure. In addition, there is no hell so to speak of in Judaism. There is the concept of ghenna, which in Judaism is a destination that a wicked soul enters upon death. There they reside for a certain amount of time and they must witness all the sins they committed in their lives. This process can take as long as 11 months of real world time though for a soul it can feel like an eternity. There is no punishment during this phase, just intense embrassment as the truth of G-ds existence is juxtaposed against the grievous actions of your life. All of those who complete this phase have the option of being reborn so that they may earn greater rewards for the world to come. Hope this sheds some light!

Welcome NAN,

A gentle spirit explaining the world of jewish law/belief...refreshing, and thank you. Sometimes getting pounded with it takes its toll on the rest of us.

v/r

Q

what i would like to know is how does one make the grade for graduating if they never open the book or attend the class AND take the tests and final exam.
Do we get the privilege to drive just by driving with no book or exam.

From what I can see there are two exams. one now for the saints and one later will appear for the ungodly. And it also looks like the same book we have now is the same book that will be open at the last exam.
i really dont think that means all the billions of books. the class is math so i better use the math textbook.
I believe this book is in every language today and the message has been sounded pretty far around the globe.
Unless some are smart enough they dont need the book to pass.
I think I will open the book now and take the exam now, rather than taking a chance of getting an F. I want an A+;)

Bandit said:
what i would like to know is how does one make the grade for graduating if they never open the book or attend the class AND take the tests and final exam.
Do we get the privilege to drive just by driving with no book or exam.

From what I can see there are two exams. one now for the saints and one later will appear for the ungodly. And it also looks like the same book we have now is the same book that will be open at the last exam.
i really dont think that means all the billions of books. the class is math so i better use the math textbook.
I believe this book is in every language today and the message has been sounded pretty far around the globe.
Unless some are smart enough they dont need the book to pass.
I think I will open the book now and take the exam now, rather than taking a chance of getting an F. I want an A+;)
Believe it or not, there are "pockets of people" who have never heard of Jesus, even today... They keep being found out even as I write this note to you.

Quahom1 said:
Believe it or not, there are "pockets of people" who have never heard of Jesus, even today... They keep being found out even as I write this note to you.
yes i know:) . then there would be no exam to take. i know it has to be published everywhere before the end. i will settle for a B+, but nothing less than a C.:)

But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

dont forget the penny parable. everyone who worked got paid the same penny. wether it was all day or only for one hour.

QueryGuy said:
I disagree...I personally feel that God reveals only portions of his intended message to humanity at any given place and time, and that all religions are legitimate paths to God. There are so many similarities between world religions that I find it hard to believe any other way.

I think anyone who genuinely tries to develop a relationship with God, who actively seeks his wisdom and who treats others well will grow continuously closer to God and to "heaven."

QG

Right On, Query Guy!!!

And if you all don't mind me saying, I think there is a built-in mechanism for right and wrong. You know right now if you are going to heaven or hell because you either feel spiritually progressive or spiritually in danger - that is, if you don't believe in reincarnation.
Before I go on, I profess willingness of understading.
All religions have a point. For those of us trying to get to God, I believe understanding the Jesus philosophy shows us how to get to God in one lifetime. Can somebody give me a viewpoint on what Hell is supposed to be, really? I mean, without all of the fire and brimstone stuff - unless you believe the devil is red with horns....

t.s.

Heres one for you. I like touse the example of rebuilding your car's engine. you spend a whole lot of time taking it (your life) apart trying to make it run better. when you put it back together expecting it to work, you realize that you forgot to put the most imortant part in...that part which mkes the whole thing run. that feeling...that gasp when you realize "Oh no i screwed up" that feeling of despair is what i think hell will be like when the person realizes that they forgot to put Jesus into their life equation. Except that the gasp and despair wont last a minute. its forever....

Hell is quite simply....finally knowing the truth about God and realizing you have been seperated from him forever. Pretty scary to me. Remember, thats what happened to Adam....God used to walk in the Garden of Eden when Adam was there. He screwed up and ate the fruit, so God could no longer be around him, so he booted him out of Eden. He said everything that descends from him will have the same bad luck. That's why weve been trying to do all these years, get back to that original relationship with God that Adam Used to have.

Hey truth644,

This is why I love this forum. I've never heard it like that; Hmmm, the anguish and dispair of losing that love and communion. I've known something like that and it was surely hell - not that I could even equate that with God. And yet, that simple anguish I would never want to go through again. Yes, truth644. That was hell. To think that God would just leave me to figure it out for myself? That is very, very scary. I think I want to cry.

To answer the OP question quickly I think no, you' don't go to hell for having a wrong belief. I also do not think of hell/heaven as a place but as the state of our relationship with God. And I do not think anyone is ever eternally cut off from God. God's grace is always there pouring down on us but we have to hold out our cup if we are to drink.

Having the "correct" metaphysical beliefs is not of interest to God. Religions and doctrines and belief systems are only of value to the extent that they lead us to God, to love and serve each other and to achieving peace on earth. This is the narrow path.

Back