Buddhism and Christianity

Hi Azure24 —

But does no one understand what i am saying? why are they so simular?
Because someone has gone through listing similarities.
Now you should go through listing differences.

Buddha the new born prince ...
Jesus the new born prince ...
Buddha was born a prince by blood, Jesus was not ... your source is stretching an analogy too far.

Buddha is Sinless ...
Jesus is Sinless...
It is an error to assume that sin means the same thing in both traditions.

:
Buddha: Nirvana is Deathless" ...
Jesus: Everlasting Life ...
Not the same thing at all. Buddha experienced life, Jesus is life.

:
Buddha holds nothing back...
Jesus holds nothing back...
I could probably find quotes to show the opposite is also the case.
"I have yet many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now" John 16:12.

MARA AND BUDDHA ...
SATAN AND JESUS ...
The tendency to serve oneself is present in all humanity.

Buddha is the Truth and the Law...
Jesus is the Truth and the Law...
No, Jesus is 'the way the truth and the life ... your source is freely interpreting Scripture to make it fit his pattern. I'm not saying Jesus is not the Law, but I am saying there is a difference between law and life in this instance.

:
Buddha lectures priest on bloodless sacrifice...
Jesus lectures priest (Sadducees) on bloodless sacrifice...
How about this, then:
"He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life" John 6:55. You see? Your source is simply ignoring texts that don't fit his pattern.

Buddha calls priests blind...
Jesus calls priests (Pharisees) blind...
Again, men are the same the world over.

Buddha sends missionaries ...
Jesus sends missionaries...
Again, men are the same the world over ... they need the truth.

Buddha helps outcastes ...
Jesus helps outcaste lepers...
Well, I don't know Buddhist Scripture, but I would say Buddha helps, Jesus heals ... big difference.

Buddha declares ...
Christ declares ...
OK.

Buddha can walk on water and walk through walls:
Jesus can walk on water and walk through walls:
Jesus raised people from the dead ...

According to American historian Kenneth Scott Latourette, by the time that Jesus was born, "Buddhism had already spread through much of India and Ceylon and had penetrated into Central Asia and China.
This is the kind of populist nonsense that is bad scholarship, but sells books, whereas good scholarship has a tougher job.

What do you think?
I think Mr Scott Latourette has shown he knows nothing about Christianity, and probably knows nothing about Buddhism.

Did one (text) inspire another?
Remember that the Buddhist texts were not written down for hundreds of years, so I doubt a canonical Buddhist text existed in Judea at the time of Jesus, or by the time the New Testament was written ... but that's not the point ... the two traditions are so very different that in reality they are worlds apart ... there is no way that the one inspired the other.

... now, if you were to ask whether Judaism, which had been in existence in the region for thousands of years, inspired Christianity, you'd be on a better bet ... apparently Mr Scott Latourette forgot about that one, but then that's already been written about, and probably is an idea that wouldn't sell many books anyway.

Thomas

I think that the reason that comparisons like these exist is because archetypes exist in the human psyche. Campbell wrote endlessly about comparisons and he did write some about Christianity. Campbell's Hero's Journey was based on Raglan's theory. Jesus story has been analyzed by others using his Hero's Journey. Also, Murdock's(aka Acharya S) second book goes into the details of Jesus and Buddha in terms of astrological symbolism(which Campbell speaks of also). The movie Zeitgeist was partially based on her work, and she wrote a guide to accompany it which recently came out.

The way archetypes work is that they are unerlying patterns. Cultural details that differ don't disprove the theory. The law of gravity is true no matter the different objects to which it applies. On the other hand, some theorists say that these patterns aren't caused by archetypes, but rather its either cultural dispersion or common observations of the world(astrology). I'd say its a combination of all of these.

For any who doubt such theories, I'd recommend you read some of these theorists. However, I realize those who want to believe in a unique Christ will believe so no matter what. If you're truly interested and curious, then you can learn about all of this on your own. If you're not truly interested and curious, then this thread could go on for a hundreds of more posts and you wouldn't be convinced. Been there, done that.

The theory could be wrong in certain aspects meaning you can endlessly nitpick details. For instance, few hero myths fit every detail of Raglan's theory, but most hero myths fit the majority of the details. Its only a general pattern, and there are always exceptions to the rule.

Another thing to keep in mind is that comparative mythology has nothing directly to do with the historical reality of Jesus. Jesus may have existed which is to say that there might have been a real person whose life was fit into this mythic pattern. Or you could even believe that God incarnated as Jesus using this universal pattern. I sort of like the view that archetypes are thoughts in God's mind.

So, what is the advantage of making such comparisons. Many Christians and atheists feel this dismisses the truth of Christianity. The Christian writer Harpur disagrees. He believes this points towards the universal truth of Christianity, and helps us to understand it more deeply.

The theory makes sense to me in my experience. If it doesn't make sense to you or you don't like it for whatever reason, then that is just the way it is. The way most Christians emphasize history so much makes no sense to me and probably never will. We believe what we believe and most often its because that is the way we were raised. I was raised in extremely liberal Christianity, and so the idea of a Christ within is something I grew up with.

Hi Marmalade —

I think that the reason that comparisons like these exist is because archetypes exist in the human psyche.
I agree, with the proviso that in this particular instance the author has been neither precise nor (I suggest) genuine, with his offering. One can draw parallels, but they are parallels, they are not the same thing, and in this instance, the author's parallels are in fact not quite parallel!

That's all I'm saying. If you're going to do this, you need to be accurate, otherwise you're diseminating disinformation and actually obscusing the truth.

Campbell wrote endlessly about comparisons and he did write some about Christianity.
As a Catholic I would argue that the archetypes are founded in the Logos of God. There is a tendency to insist that archetypes are either human in origin, or just somehow cosmically exist. In both I find the ontology wanting.

Likewise, I would argue that there are correlatives between Christ and cosmology because Christ created the Kosmos, not because He is subject to it, but rather utilises it according to His will.

Campbell's Hero's Journey was based on Raglan's theory...
One can loosely say there are two basic answers to the problem of suffering, one externalises and overcomes it — Buddhism — the other internalises and ovecomes it — Christianity — and I did say 'loose', I doubt a Buddhist would be satisfied with that, nor a Christian, but The Hero's Journey is subsequent to, or shaped by, these and other determinations.

Traditions spoke of the Way, or Covenant and so on, before clever people came up with Hero Journeys ... I suggest they're trying to put the cart before the horse?

Take the religious traditions of the Mesopotamian region, for example. The Hero's Journey of the Epic of Gilgamesh is radically different from that of Noah. In this context man's religious awareness shapes the journey, not the other way round.

(What's so clever about 'The Hero Journey' anyway? Had they never read Pilgrim's Progress, or The Divine Comedy? It's nothing new ... )

The way archetypes work is that they are underlying patterns.
Again, as a Catholic I view the Logos as establishing those and every pattern, as I am sure you are aware among the many meanings of the term Logos is order, pattern, ratio, dialogue, etc.

However, I realize those who want to believe in a unique Christ will believe so no matter what.
I tend to find that such attempts at 'explaining' religious phenomena ignore or are unaware of the aspects that render their particular founder 'unique'. Put another way, I believe that those who say that Christianity and Buddhism (or indeed any tradition) say essentially the same thing understand neither in any real depth.

If you're truly interested and curious, then you can learn about all of this on your own.
I am truly interested and curious. I just outgrew these types of theory because I went deep into one rather than superficially across many. They have their place, and they reflect the truth, but not to any profound or meaningful level ... their truths are cosmological rather than metacosmic.

Saying that all Revelation is the same, or all Enlightenment is the same, is neither a revelation nor an enlightenment (in fact its a huge assumption without foundation), and I becoming increasingly amused by those who presume to offer authoritative commentary when they themselves would admit they have not undergone a process of revelation or enlightenment.

I sort of like the view that archetypes are thoughts in God's mind.
We are in agreement there.

So, what is the advantage of making such comparisons. Many Christians and atheists feel this dismisses the truth of Christianity. The Christian writer Harpur disagrees. He believes this points towards the universal truth of Christianity, and helps us to understand it more deeply.
I haven't read Harpur ... but I see no reason to suppose a study of another tradition allows one to understand one's own more deeply. The implication is that one's own tradition is in some way inadequate or wanting. Why should a Christian need anyone else to tell him that Christianity is universal?

Again, no offence to Harpur (I don't know his context) but I suggest something else. I suggest that in looking for comparisons one is seeking to overcome one's doubt by exterior affirmation: "If Buddhism says it too, then it might be true." That's pretty weak faith, in my book. I don't think it's deepening at all, quite the reverse, in fact.

I would suggest if anyone wants to understand a tradition deeply, then go deep, don't go wide ...

... just do it, as the slogan says ...

I do agree that study of another tradition allows one to better defend one's own in the face of such. St Thomas Aquinas is a marvellous case in point. Faced with the Islamic 'threat' he studied the great Moslem philosophers, whom he acknowledges unreservedly in his works, but he learnt nothing about Christianity from them, nor was his faith strengthened nor deepened ... rather he learnt the method of Aristotelian argument, and met and refuted them on their ground.

I learnt a huge amount from René Guénon, Frithjof Schuon and the philosophers of the Perennialist Tradion (but not Aldous Huxley), whom I believe offer commentaries on comparative religion that are second to none.

But their commentaries are themselves are dependent on and indebted to the commentaries of the various traditions for their data, without which they would not make much headway at all.

Thomas

What I meant was that even Christians vary quite a bit, and much of this variety is due to differences in upbringing and their (sub)culture of origin. This difference is even greater among people who may all be experiencing God, but have not heard about Christ.

I don't mean we should avoid telling people about Christ, but rather that I recognize that these cultural differences are a primary reason why there are a lot of religious differences and rather inescapable. I recognize that I can know Christ, experience Him, be saved by Him... and still be trapped somewhat in my cultural lens, unable to see the world (spiritual and otherwise) as clearly as I would like. If we could, then all of us would agree because we would all see the same Truth in every detail.

As for the veil, I agree that Christ became the bridge to unite humanity and God. However, while we are incarnated in bodies, there are still barriers. We may get glimpses and experiences of God, but we are not perfected until after death. For this reason, even Christians still exist with a temporary veil between ourselves and God. We get closer to piercing that veil the closer we draw to Christ and let Him fill us, dying to self and living in Him. However, that all must be experienced through our brains and bodies, which make all sorts of mistakes in processing information, means we will only be able to have experiences and then imperfect expressions of and theories/doctrines about these experiences.

Yes, quite a bit. I personally experienced God, knew about Christ, but really never met Him until a few years ago. Christians you agree with may have this pseudo-veil, but what about the ones you don’t agree with you?

What about experiences they have sans veil? Because you have identified them as mistakes, do you really think they are mistakes? Or possibly that is the only way your mind can process them. Have you ever considered the possibility that they are not mistakes? Perhaps you can get closer to God.

Once you die to self and live in Him, the veil has been eliminated. Personally, I enjoy having a body (and mind) not temporarily veiled. Perfection beyond this earthly expression is something I anticipate, but in the mean time …

When Jesus conquered death, the veil was torn in half. (Although trying to repair that veil seems to be some people’s goal in life…) I admit I am speaking literally. Maybe the “mistake” was using the word “veil.” No cover is necessary when you are dealing with honest Christianity.

Remember that the Buddhist texts were not written down for hundreds of years, so I doubt a canonical Buddhist text existed in Judea at the time of Jesus, or by the time the New Testament was written ...
This is incorrect. The Pali canon was in written form by the 3rd century BC. King Ashoka's palaces have some quotes written on the walls. He sent out missionaries two by two; Clement of Alexandria notes Buddhist preachers in Egypt of his day, and says they were especially popular in the British Isles. Where there are close textual parallels, as:

"That great cloud rains down on all whether their nature is superior or inferior. The light of the sun and the moon illuminates the whole world, both him who does well and him who does ill, both him who stands high and him who stands low." (Sadharmapundarika Sutra 5)

"Your father in heaven makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous." (Matt. 5:45)

the chance that Jesus had heard the older text is quite good.

Yes, quite a bit. I personally experienced God, knew about Christ, but really never met Him until a few years ago. Christians you agree with may have this pseudo-veil, but what about the ones you don’t agree with you?

What about experiences they have sans veil? Because you have identified them as mistakes, do you really think they are mistakes? Or possibly that is the only way your mind can process them. Have you ever considered the possibility that they are not mistakes? Perhaps you can get closer to God.

Once you die to self and live in Him, the veil has been eliminated. Personally, I enjoy having a body (and mind) not temporarily veiled. Perfection beyond this earthly expression is something I anticipate, but in the mean time …

When Jesus conquered death, the veil was torn in half. (Although trying to repair that veil seems to be some people’s goal in life…) I admit I am speaking literally. Maybe the “mistake” was using the word “veil.” No cover is necessary when you are dealing with honest Christianity.

Hi, Patti-

I think it is probably the case that we are using "veil" to mean two different things. As a mystic, I've experienced God and Christ and other spiritual beings directly through visions and dreams. I believe these are real experiences that have strengthened a person connection with God.

However, the problem comes when I try to translate these experiences into expression to other people and/or to form religious concepts from them. It is one thing to experience it spiritually (without veil) and quite another thing to express it conceptually (with words). As soon as I take the experience and try to formulate into something I can express, it is filtered through my brain, senses, and available vocabulary. This limits the experience and no matter what I try, it is impossible to contain experiences of God inside my limited brain and language. Music and art come closer, but are still limited. So, upon making the spiritual experience (personal) into religion (communal), the veil of my bodily limitations is felt.

This is why I am very careful to delineate in my own spiritual path what is the heart (experience and connecting to God, which is everlasting) from the rest of it (beliefs, doctrines, sharing/expressing my faith, which may change as I gain better ways to interpret my experiences and better ways to express them).

I don't believe that people make mistakes in their actual experience of God. I believe all who seek God, find Him. I just believe that no matter who we are, in this life we are limited, and God is not. This incongruity means that no one will have THE answers, because even those who have drawn closest to God will inevitably find limitations in expressing and interpreting their experience of it. This is why I believe there is no one church that everyone should belong to. There are people who are connected to God and experiencing Christ in them everywhere, and their interpretations of that will differ, even though the underlying truth they are experiencing will not. I keep an open mind about most religions and beliefs, because of this. I don't see them as mistakes, but I see all human expression of experience with God as woefully inadequate. Often beautiful, but almost certainly inept. The more one tries to define and grasp and hold the Infinite in finite concepts and words, the more one recrafts the veil.

Oh Snoopy, it is an automatic reflex. Buddhism and Christianity are NOT on the same playing field and I wasn't getting defensive. I did think it was a nice try. (but no go):)

You might swat something innocent with that reflex Patti :)

I'm still in the dark as to what my nice try was but if my comparison is invalid because of the traditions not being on the same playing field then I defer to your garden. :)

s.

Path Of One
A "woefully inadequate" descrption is definitely an individual description. I really don't think we are too far apart (although there are major differences) and I don't want you to assume that I am being sensitive, but I object to your presumption of speaking for all Christians.

Namaste all,

i am aware of no historical information which would lend creedence to the fact that the Bible, in any iteration, was inspirired or informed by the Buddhadharma. if it were, i suggest, then it would not be rife with wrong view and teachings which are diametrically opposed to those the Buddha taught.

that the two traditions have things in common is, well, common. many traditions have teachings in common with eachother, espeically the major world religions as they all espouse a valid moral and ethical path.

i agree with Thomas, beings that feel that these two traditions are, essentially, two sides of the same coin do not seem to have a grasp of the depth of the teachings and i can only wonder at how progress can be made upon ones spiritual journey.

since this is the Christian forum i won't say much more than that.. but.. i'd ask.. please... don't blaspheme my tradition too much, you really have no idea of the negative consequences of such actions and it concerns me.

metta,

~v

i am aware of no historical information which would lend creedence to the fact that the Bible, in any iteration, was inspirired or informed by the Buddhadharma. if it were, i suggest, then it would not be rife with wrong view

Can you say this in this garden?! :eek:

(suggestion from lawyer: you're using a very technical, strictly Buddhist definition of the term "wrong view")

s.

Path Of One
A "woefully inadequate" descrption is definitely an individual description. I really don't think we are too far apart (although there are major differences) and I don't want you to assume that I am being sensitive, but I object to your presumption of speaking for all Christians.

I'm not assuming anything about you, just responding to the discussion. I don't speak for all Christians, and never claim to. In fact, I generally state up front that I am an "odd" sort of Christian, liberal, and have some ideas that aren't widely held in Christianity. My cards are laid on the table from the beginning, so people can assess for themselves if they want to read my ideas or not. Hence- if you look at my post, I said nothing about "Christians believe this or that," but rather I said, "I believe this" and "I see it like that." I am not sure how much more clear I can be that I do not speak for Christians in general... my user name itself suggests I speak only for myself.

I just state my opinion and call it as I see it, which is all any of us can do. Otherwise, there would be no discussion.

What I meant was that even Christians vary quite a bit, and much of this variety is due to differences in upbringing and their (sub)culture of origin. This difference is even greater among people who may all be experiencing God, but have not heard about Christ.

I don't mean we should avoid telling people about Christ, but rather that I recognize that these cultural differences are a primary reason why there are a lot of religious differences and rather inescapable. I recognize that I can know Christ, experience Him, be saved by Him... and still be trapped somewhat in my cultural lens, unable to see the world (spiritual and otherwise) as clearly as I would like. If we could, then all of us would agree because we would all see the same Truth in every detail.

As for the veil, I agree that Christ became the bridge to unite humanity and God. However, while we are incarnated in bodies, there are still barriers. We may get glimpses and experiences of God, but we are not perfected until after death. For this reason, even Christians still exist with a temporary veil between ourselves and God. We get closer to piercing that veil the closer we draw to Christ and let Him fill us, dying to self and living in Him. However, that all must be experienced through our brains and bodies, which make all sorts of mistakes in processing information, means we will only be able to have experiences and then imperfect expressions of and theories/doctrines about these experiences.

Yes, I was stating what I believe. I don't claim to speak for all Christians (which is what you said I was doing). I believe, based on my experience, that any person's grasp of God is incomplete during this life, that our brains are simply too limited to understand God. But we can and do experience Him. That is what I believe. I am not saying others have to believe it, should believe it, or do believe it. But I think it is reasonable for me to state my opinion.

You are more than welcome to your own opinion but, please say so.

"even Christians still exist with a temporary veil between ourselves and God. We get closer to piercing that veil the closer we draw to Christ and let Him fill us, dying to self and living in Him."

I agree, with the proviso that in this particular instance the author has been neither precise nor (I suggest) genuine, with his offering. One can draw parallels, but they are parallels, they are not the same thing, and in this instance, the author's parallels are in fact not quite parallel!

Maybe so or maybe not. But, either way, maybe considering possibilities such as these is still useful.

That's all I'm saying. If you're going to do this, you need to be accurate, otherwise you're diseminating disinformation and actually obscusing the truth.

Well, we're all feeling around in the dark in our search for 'Truth'.

As a Catholic I would argue that the archetypes are founded in the Logos of God. There is a tendency to insist that archetypes are either human in origin, or just somehow cosmically exist. In both I find the ontology wanting.

I probably agree with what you mean in that the archetypes are founded in the Logos of God. However, I don't agree that God is limited to Christianity. God is omni-present meaning he even exists within other religions.

Likewise, I would argue that there are correlatives between Christ and cosmology because Christ created the Kosmos, not because He is subject to it, but rather utilises it according to His will.

Until God incarnated, he wasn't the Christ except as potential. 'Christ' is just a title for a messiah from the Hellenistic period. If I remember correctly, other people of that period were also referred as Christs because it was a general label.

You believe that Christ is identical with God. Other religions make this exact same claim. For instance, some Hindus believe Krishna(their savior god-man) is Brahman(their all-encompassing Godhead). Acharya S argues that the word 'Christ' originated from the word 'Krishna'. If you're interested, I could probably find a quote of her discussing this.

One can loosely say there are two basic answers to the problem of suffering, one externalises and overcomes it — Buddhism — the other internalises and ovecomes it — Christianity — and I did say 'loose', I doubt a Buddhist would be satisfied with that, nor a Christian, but The Hero's Journey is subsequent to, or shaped by, these and other determinations.

That is an interesting view, but the opposite argument could also be made. Buddhists believe Dukkha comes from our states of mind(desires, fears, etc). Whereas, Christians project their suffering as having originated with Adam and Eve.

Its probably that both aknowledge internal and external factors.

I'd like to hear more about how "The Hero's Journey is subsequent to, or shaped by, these and other determinations." Jung and Campbell would probably say that our understandings of archetypes are shaped, but the archetypes are not. Related to this, symbols aren't the archetypes because symbols only indirectly refer to the archetypes. Likewise, religion isn't God because God cannot be contained... not by the temples and idols built in worship of him, not in the human words ascribed to him.

Traditions spoke of the Way, or Covenant and so on, before clever people came up with Hero Journeys ... I suggest they're trying to put the cart before the horse?

To interpret this according my own understanding, I don't think that Campbell was putting the symbols before the archetypes. Campbell did seem to be a spiritual person and he seemed to have had deep respect for the Catholicism that he was raised in.

Take the religious traditions of the Mesopotamian region, for example. The Hero's Journey of the Epic of Gilgamesh is radically different from that of Noah. In this context man's religious awareness shapes the journey, not the other way round.

I don't know which interpretation is correct, but I prefer to think that man's mind may give form to the journey which isn't the same as to say man shapes the journey. So, rather the journey shapes man and man's mind only shapes man's understanding of the journey as he experiences it. Maybe I'm just quibbling.

(What's so clever about 'The Hero Journey' anyway? Had they never read Pilgrim's Progress, or The Divine Comedy? It's nothing new ... )

I don't think its clever. Instead, I think its insightful. And any genuine insight isn't new. Man needs the truth to be stated many times over.

Also, most people reading ancient texts or books such as you mention probably wouldn't notice this archetypal pattern. The Hero's Journey simply points out what seems obvious only after you already know about it. It is true that someone who is smart enough, insightful enough, and dedicated enough could potentially discover all of this on their own by studying their preferred text, but this represents a small minority of people. Campbell was a popularizer. He was attempting to make wisdom accessible to the average person.

Again, as a Catholic I view the Logos as establishing those and every pattern, as I am sure you are aware among the many meanings of the term Logos is order, pattern, ratio, dialogue, etc.

I agree, but I don't see it as primarily Christian. Afterall, Logos originated as a pagan belief.

I tend to find that such attempts at 'explaining' religious phenomena ignore or are unaware of the aspects that render their particular founder 'unique'. Put another way, I believe that those who say that Christianity and Buddhism (or indeed any tradition) say essentially the same thing understand neither in any real depth.

I feel that studying the similarites and differences are equally important.

I am truly interested and curious. I just outgrew these types of theory because I went deep into one rather than superficially across many. They have their place, and they reflect the truth, but not to any profound or meaningful level ... their truths are cosmological rather than metacosmic.

Its helpful to study one tradition deeply, but its also to not forget the larger cultural context out of which all religions arose. Its essential to remember that not every cultural idiosyncrasy in a particular religion represents a truly unique truth.

I'd say the cosmological vs cosmic distinction applies less between religions and moreso applies within religions. Every religion contains elements of both.

Saying that all Revelation is the same, or all Enlightenment is the same, is neither a revelation nor an enlightenment (in fact its a huge assumption without foundation), and I becoming increasingly amused by those who presume to offer authoritative commentary when they themselves would admit they have not undergone a process of revelation or enlightenment.

Well, I'm amused by life in general.

I have had my own experiences that I deem spiritual, but likely they're different than yours. I agree that there are many types of experiences, but this is a complex matter as it deals with subjectivity. Study of a religion can be used to an extent to understand one's own and other's experience, but comparative religion brings even more clarity. I've always been of the opinion that mystics of varying traditions are more similar to eachother than mystics are to the average person in their own traditions. The framework I use to try to understand all of this is integral theory and integral practice.

I haven't read Harpur ... but I see no reason to suppose a study of another tradition allows one to understand one's own more deeply. The implication is that one's own tradition is in some way inadequate or wanting.

Traditions aren't inadequate or wanting per se. The people who originate and develop traditions are what is inadequate and wanting.

Why should a Christian need anyone else to tell him that Christianity is universal?

Potentially, nobody needs anyone else(whether from within or without their tradition) to tell them their sense of truth is universal. Even religion itself isn't necessary. Consider the story of Abraham. According to the story, God spoke to him directly. He trusted his experience without reference to other people or even to any established religion. Every founder of a new religion is a heretic of the previous religions.

Again, no offence to Harpur (I don't know his context) but I suggest something else. I suggest that in looking for comparisons one is seeking to overcome one's doubt by exterior affirmation: "If Buddhism says it too, then it might be true." That's pretty weak faith, in my book. I don't think it's deepening at all, quite the reverse, in fact.

Faith is only one aspect. Knowledge is another. They both inform eachother, but neither is dependent on the other.

Anyways, would you call a scientist weak in faith because they continuously seek knowledge? I'm a seeker and simultaneously my faith is strong. I seek from the sense of my faith because I refuse to limit my faith. And I refuse to limit my faith because my faith is in that which is beyond the limits of all religions. Also, I have a curious nature and I don't consider curiosity a weakness even if it did kill the cat. I happen to like cats.

I would suggest if anyone wants to understand a tradition deeply, then go deep, don't go wide ...

As I said earlier, I agree with this in part. I have studied certain subjects in great depth, but I've also studied many subjects in breadth. You don't have to choose depth over breadth, or vice versa. You can have both.

I do agree that study of another tradition allows one to better defend one's own in the face of such.

Truth doesn't need to be defended. Truth only needs to be discovered and experienced. And maybe once genuinely understood Truth can be shared with compasion.

Patti describes my view perfectly.

Hi, Patti-

I think it is probably the case that we are using "veil" to mean two different things. As a mystic, I've experienced God and Christ and other spiritual beings directly through visions and dreams. I believe these are real experiences that have strengthened a person connection with God.

However, the problem comes when I try to translate these experiences into expression to other people and/or to form religious concepts from them. It is one thing to experience it spiritually (without veil) and quite another thing to express it conceptually (with words). As soon as I take the experience and try to formulate into something I can express, it is filtered through my brain, senses, and available vocabulary. This limits the experience and no matter what I try, it is impossible to contain experiences of God inside my limited brain and language. Music and art come closer, but are still limited. So, upon making the spiritual experience (personal) into religion (communal), the veil of my bodily limitations is felt.

This is why I am very careful to delineate in my own spiritual path what is the heart (experience and connecting to God, which is everlasting) from the rest of it (beliefs, doctrines, sharing/expressing my faith, which may change as I gain better ways to interpret my experiences and better ways to express them).

I don't believe that people make mistakes in their actual experience of God. I believe all who seek God, find Him. I just believe that no matter who we are, in this life we are limited, and God is not. This incongruity means that no one will have THE answers, because even those who have drawn closest to God will inevitably find limitations in expressing and interpreting their experience of it. This is why I believe there is no one church that everyone should belong to. There are people who are connected to God and experiencing Christ in them everywhere, and their interpretations of that will differ, even though the underlying truth they are experiencing will not. I keep an open mind about most religions and beliefs, because of this. I don't see them as mistakes, but I see all human expression of experience with God as woefully inadequate. Often beautiful, but almost certainly inept. The more one tries to define and grasp and hold the Infinite in finite concepts and words, the more one recrafts the veil.

You are more than welcome to your own opinion but, please say so.

"even Christians still exist with a temporary veil between ourselves and God. We get closer to piercing that veil the closer we draw to Christ and let Him fill us, dying to self and living in Him."

I think it kind of goes without saying that what I write is my own opinion or belief. Whose else would it be? When I refer to the Bible or other texts, I provide quotes/references, and I try to be diligent about clearly stating when I am relaying facts from scientific research.

I don't think I need to preface everything I say with "It is my opinion that..." It would be a rather clunky writing style, and I see everyone else on the forum stating their beliefs without such disclaimers.

I was looking in wikipedia when I came across something.

Buddha and Jesus seem to be parallel in mant ways. Buddha and his disciples traveling preachers going into homes and preaching gospels to those who hear, is one obvious parallel of a literary motif not found in other traditions. Jesus too pursues this form of preaching and teaching.

Buddha the new born prince is adored and predicted by seer Asita and gods celebrate his birth.(SN 3.11 Nalaka Sutta)

Jesus the new born prince is adored and predicted by seers "from the east" who celebrate his birth. (Matthew 2)

Buddha is Sinless:
"stainless, you illuminate all the worlds." Sn 2.14 Dhammika Sutta

Jesus is Sinless:
"And in him is no sin." (1 John 3:5)

Buddha: Nirvana is Deathless" (Dhammapada 2:21-23)

Jesus: Everlasting Life:
that God gave us everlasting life. (1 John 5:11)

Buddha holds nothing back:
there is nothing, Ananda, with regard to the teachings that the Tathagata holds to the last with the closed fist of a teacher who keeps some things back. (Digha Nikaya, Mahaparinibbana Sutta,32)

Jesus holds nothing back:
because a slave doesn't know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything I have heard from My Father. (John 15:15)

MARA AND BUDDHA Then Mara, the Evil One, knowing with his awareness the train of thought in the Blessed One's awareness, went to him and on arrival said to him: "Exercise rulership, Blessed One! Exercise rulership, O One Well-gone!
Mara leaves
Then Mara the Evil One — sad & dejected at realizing, "The Blessed One knows me; the One Well-gone knows me" — vanished right there. (Samyutta Nikaya 4.20 Rajja Sutta)

SATAN AND JESUS: And the devil took him up and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time, 6 and said to him, “To you I will give all this authority and their glory, for it has been delivered to me, and I give it to whom I will. 7 If you, then, will worship me, it will all be yours.” 8
Satan leaves
13 And when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from him until an opportune time. (Luke 4:1)

Buddha is the Truth and the Law: "He who sees the Dhamma, he sees me; he who sees me, sees the Dhamma."Kindred Sayings (III, Khandhaa-vagga, Middle Fifty, Ch 4, 87, Vakkali Sutta)

Jesus is the Truth and the Law:Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh to the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

Buddha lectures priest on bloodless sacrifice:
"But, Reverend Gotama, is there any sacrifice that is more profitable than these four?" "There is, Brahmin."
"What is it, Reverend Gotama?" "Brahmin, if anyone with a pure heart undertakes the precepts - to refrain from taking life, from taking what is not given, from sexual immorality, from lying speech and from taking strong drink and sloth-producing drugs - that constitutes a sacrifice more profitable than any of these four."(Kutadanta Sutta)

Jesus lectures priest (Sadducees) on bloodless sacrifice:
33And to love Him with all the heart, with all the understanding, with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbor as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices." (Mark 12:33)

Buddha calls priests blind
O Vasettha, those brahmins who know the three Vedas are just like a line of blind men tied together where the first sees nothing, the middle man nothing, and the last sees nothing (Tevijja-Sutta, Dighanikaya, 13:15).

Jesus calls priests (Pharisees) blind
Can the blind lead the blind? Won't they both fall into a pit? (Matthew 15:14).

Buddha sends missionaries"Go forth, o bhikkhus, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the benefit, for the good, for the happiness of gods and men. Let not two go by one way. Preach the doctrine that is beautiful in its beginning, beautiful in its middle, and beautiful in its ending. Declare the holy life in its purity, completely both in the spirit and the letter.[Mahavagga Ch 5, Vinaya Pitaka]"

Jesus sends missionariesTherefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. (Matthew 28:19).

Buddha helps outcastes (Thag 12.2), lepers (Ud 5.3) and the courtesan like Ambapali (Digha Nikaya 16: Maha-parinibbana Sutta)

Jesus helps outcaste lepers (Luke 17:11-19) and "sinful women" like Mary Magdalene or Mary of Bethany (Luke 7:36-50)

Buddha declares:
Open are the doors to the Deathless to those with ears. Let them show their conviction.[Ariyapariyesana Sutta]

Christ declares after defeating Satan:
Repent! for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. —Matthew 4:17
Anyone who has ears to hear ought to hear."(Mark 4:23)

Buddha can walk on water and walk through walls:
He goes unimpeded through walls, ramparts, and mountains as if through space. He walks on water without sinking as if it were dry land. (Digha Nikaya 11:Kevatta Sutta)

Jesus can walk on water and walk through walls:
And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. Mat 14:25 "Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them." (John 20:26)

According to American historian Kenneth Scott Latourette, by the time that Jesus was born, "Buddhism had already spread through much of India and Ceylon and had penetrated into Central Asia and China.

What do you think?

I think we would
all be wiser individuals if we could allow ourselves some thinking upon the words of a Mystic:

« Were the Buddha teaching today and a student from the West asked his opinion as to whether he should follow him or the Christ, I feel sure that he would direct the inquirer to The Light of the World.
» (in 1914)

that is,

« Buddha, great, grand and sublime, may be the "light of Asia," but Christ will yet be acknowledged the "Light of the World." As the sun outshines the brightest star in the heavens, dispels every vestige of darkness and gives life and light to all beings, so, in a not too distant future, will the true religion of Christ supersede and obliterate all other religions, to the eternal benefit of mankind. » (in 1909)

In Friendship.

Basically I was just asking what everyone thought. I don't necessary believe any of this....

For example some would put comparisons on many other religions that have the symbols of a woman with a child and so on...

Back