The Fantastic Football Thread!

Vajradhara

One of Many
Reaction score
Namaste all,

so.. as it sounds... who's your favorite team, your favorite league and your favorite player?

team: Chelsea! Go Blues!

league: English Premier Leauge though i so fondly recall the Budesligia from when i was younger. I think Serie A is a good league but it's not too competitive outside of Inter and Roma.

player: i'm really enjoying the play of Robbie Keane right now but.. it seems like Michael Ballack is still trying to find his form so i'd say my favorite player currently is Joe Cole.

metta,

~v

ill forgive you because you are a darlek and dont know any better... but over here football is rugby league. a real game played by real tough guys not wussy fellas that fall down every time the opposition looks at them nastily.
lololololololol.
(let the fun begin.)

still love me,?

And in the states Rugby is different than Australian Rules Football, and English football is called soccer. Football here is a kids game played by millionaires.

Football/Soccer(yanks...) is over rated..... And to class it as a "job" and the pay? What a joke.

We sell tv's and sound systems to some of them... Such as Micheal Owen? Plays for England or something... I was like "who?" "Oh good for you."

And in the states Rugby is different than Australian Rules Football, and English football is called soccer. Football here is a kids game played by millionaires.

Pretty much everywhere it is played by millionaires..... And no English football is football.... Your football... How many times in a game does someones foot connect to the ball? Compare that to how many times their hands connect to the ball? Football was invented in the UK I believe, or wherever it was invented it was named football.. So it isn't soccer it is football... That is like me calling this computer a cheesecake... Well it isn't is it? The inventor called it a computer.
---edit---

Sorry lol... Just bothers me when people EXPECT you to know who they are, and treat them much better than anyone else because they are more special than anyone else and have lots of money(wow...) ... I kept my true comment back.. Was going to say "Oh you kick a ball around? my four year old nephew does that too...." BUT! Yeah we get a fair few people who are known for sports purchasing off us.

lol

I was thinking that... BUT! I did appologise! :) So I dunno....

Dauer brah... Think of the money they get paid..... You think that is fair? Like I see the things they buy with this money and it seems like... This money should be funding vets and doctors and cancer research and charaities... And... so much more... I just cannot get it understood in my head, sure I never will... The amount they get paid.... And they are put up as idols of gold and heroes to be like.... The humble single mother that strives to feed her three children and does two jobs and struggles and is thankful for the small hand out she gets in welfare? That's a hero. I just find the whole material thing ugly... And wish they would use some of these funds for a better use than sports players. so again... SORRY! lol just an opinion.

I don't think it's right how much they get paid either. I think their earnings should be reduced. Doctors already make quite a bit but teachers don't.

I don't think it's right how much they get paid either. I think their earnings should be reduced. Doctors already make quite a bit but teachers don't.

Sorry I didn't explain good enough... I mean like funding for equipment and medicine and whatever else they need... Medical supplies I guess would of done, my bad... :)

Again, I am really sorry for distracting your thread slightly there y'all... I do try not to think of it, and see it as harmless sports and fun, but I can't help but look at what possiblities there could be for this world with their wages.

---EDIT---

lol... I see no harm in showing people like Mr.Owen they are no better than you nor I.. I think sometimes it can be a wakeup call... For treating him as a normal person I wouldn't appologise for :p

Dauer and Alex, I totally agree with both of you about professional athletes making way too money, along with celebrities in general.:( There are plenty of ahtletes out there that would jump at the chance to play professionally for a pittance compared to what the leagues are paying now, and I believe that the average person would still enjoy the heck out of the games.

And I shout a loud "amen" to Alex's point about medical research. Off topic just a tad though, all the billions being spent on this war could also be used for that purpose along with health care in general.

Dauer and Alex, I totally agree with both of you about professional athletes making way too money, along with celebrities in general.:( There are plenty of ahtletes out there that would jump at the chance to play professionally for a pittance compared to what the leagues are paying now, and I believe that the average person would still enjoy the heck out of the games.

And I shout a loud "amen" to Alex's point about medical research. Off topic just a tad though, all the billions being spent on this war could also be used for that purpose along with health care in general.

I feel both points you made there brother...

The passion for the -game- is taken away... Me, I would be thrilled to play hockey... Be in a rink, be on a lake.. Give it my best have a good laugh... You take a pro NHL... (sorry using hockey because that is the only sport I know) They get blinded by the money, this is no longer the game they played with their fathers... And enjoyed, this has become a big money business....

Keep it a good fun innocent game.... And fund those who truly need this money... Sharing never hurts, and never will.

I got no freakin clue how we started calling your football soccer or why we call our football football.

In regards to pay and the millions they earn every year in entertainment of any kind, music, sports, movies, theater...it all boils down to one thing, their value is representative of how much money they make their employers. Their employers make money based on how many of us lemmings attend the games, by the concessions, watch the movies, television.

You know you are successful when whatever you do people pay to come watch you do it. And once it becomes scalable, on television, dvd, tape, the net...once you can earn money multiple times for doing it once. ie only 50-100,000 fit in the stadium but millions can watch on tv....spend a year creating music, 60 hours in the studio and then sell millions of songs, or books, or tapes, or whatever...it is that multiplication that makes the producers, owners a ton of cash and make the service be it swinging a bat, throwing a ball, strumming a string, negotiable for millions because if that owner won't let loose the dough someone else will.

The doc that invents a new surgical instrument...millions the other that uses it works by the hour. Teachers will soon be on the internet and their classes valued by results and some of them will become millionaires from it.

ill forgive you because you are a darlek and dont know any better... but over here football is rugby league. a real game played by real tough guys not wussy fellas that fall down every time the opposition looks at them nastily.
lololololololol.
(let the fun begin.)

still love me,?

Namaste Greymare,

so... you don't have a favorite team?

metta,

~v

Namaste wil,

football is not English, per se, that is what it's called in nearly every other country that plays it.

nevertheless, a favorite team or do you not like the beautiful game?

metta,

~v

Stateside most of us have no clue what the teams are in that there game you blokes call football.

We know some team payed a bunch of money for one of your old worn out heroes.

We've got that other football game and our own set of heroes.

Currently it is March madness, college hoops.

And a bunch of us are starting to watch cars make left turns again.

And then a bunch more are ready for our version of cricket (it only takes a few hours though)

ok ok, lol

i dont know anything about soccer/football except that mark schwarzer(?) is a freak, i like him. i dont know what team he plays for except for australia. lol

and

1. soccer/football
2.rugby union aka thugby(lol)
3. rugby leage (sport of REAL men,lol)
4. aussie rules, (kinda like gaeli football, aparently) but up here in qld its called a few things, like......... aerial pingpong. disorganised choas, homosexuals sport (not that there is anything wrong with that. lol)

all these are entirely different games. all player are paid far too much money. back in the old days(70's) the winners got a payment of around $100. not bad, they all had full time jobs as well. now the players are asking humungous amounts, and getting it. but i still love it. each member of my family barracks for different teams. lol. so friday night football is fun in our house. lol

Back