David Rabeeya

don't know the guy, but he seems quite eminent. my only comment is well, yes, but there's a little bit more to being sephardic than rationalism. i mean, there's a big picture of spinoza, a big picture of derrida (!) - no rambam, ramban, etc.... it kind of misses the whole thing about sephardic mysticism, poetry, song, to say nothing of halakhah. i mean, if you're going to consider everyone non-ashkenazi as sephardic, from morocco to yemen to afghanistan, that's kind of like saying that the only thing to ashkenaz is einstein and the vilna gaon, which would be ridiculous - and how rationalist is ovadia yosef? what price shabbetai tzvi? basically, it's a false dichotomy which reflects more about the writer's interests than anything else.

on the other hand, there was a link through to this amazing site with piyyutim - music and lyrics, too, which will really help me out, so ta very much for that anyway.

b'shalom

bananabrain

o hai. I forgot about this thread. I wasn't really interested in the whole rationalist aspect that came up. I'm well aware of the sefardic mystics and I agree he was looking to play a particular angle in that sense. My interest is more in the lesser emphasis among sefardic poskim on establishing fences, both what that looks like in theory and concrete examples of the differences and how they were reached. Before I read that article the only examples I knew of were kitniyot and shaving. I may know a few others but those are the only ones that come to mind.

-- Dauer

there's lots about the attitude to kabbalah, which is very different in the sephardic world, which essentially allows it to anyone over 20 "providing", from the ashkenazic world, which restricts it to anyone that isn't a big beardy sage already. there are a lot of other things around kashrut, like the time between meat and milk, as well as stuff around tefillah and all sorts of other bits and bobs. buy an orot siddur and/or a sephardi kitzur shulhan arukh and you'll see what i mean soon enough.

b'shalom

bananabrain

there's lots about the attitude to kabbalah, which is very different in the sephardic world, which essentially allows it to anyone over 20 "providing", from the ashkenazic world, which restricts it to anyone that isn't a big beardy sage already. there are a lot of other things around kashrut, like the time between meat and milk, as well as stuff around tefillah and all sorts of other bits and bobs. buy an orot siddur and/or a sephardi kitzur shulhan arukh and you'll see what i mean soon enough.

b'shalom

bananabrain

wow - I take a few baby steps ahead and then the two of you lose me completely .... I'm still traveling the path toward Judiasm .... not very methodical but slow and steady .... mysticism is the easier route for me because of my years of looking deep into the mysteries of my own culture and the ancient way of life, it flows with little thought .... the blending seems to come easier with reform judiasm because it seems to be more open to outsiders wanting to look within and enter the doors .... the mysticism I pretty much keep to myself for now .... I'm studying the history, continue with a heavy emphasis on the temple and the regathering, and am just enjoying all that I learn .... also wanted to send my aloha, I stop in frequently but am not posting much these days .... I really enjoy reading the thoughts that you and dauer share .... mahalo nui, poh

Thanks BB. I knew about some of the differences in kashrut but I don't remember any differences in tefilah regarding what one is obligated to do. I have an orot siddur so I will give the notes a more thorough read over. Thanks for your help.

_____

It's good to hear from you Poh.

-- Dauer

Back