Bare Minimum

i'm sorry, luna, but i didn't know that belief could be measured. unless i am misunderstanding the question incorrectly?

When I asked elsewhere, someone said that for Christianity it's John 3:16. I think that's a pretty good answer.

I'd say zero.

One would need the desire to strive to follow the teachings of Jesus.

Walk the walk, no belief required, an experiential trip, after which belief will come naturally.

I'd say zero.

One would need the desire to strive to follow the teachings of Jesus.

Walk the walk, no belief required, an experiential trip, after which belief will come naturally.

I could rephrase the question, what is the bare minimum belief, practice, or philosophy.

What are the teachings of Jesus?

okay then. i'll give it a try. the bare minimum and maximum for my "religion" is compassion for the the orphans, the oppressed, the poor, the widows, and the brokenhearted. compassion for them is the utmost importance. compassion for the self is completely out of the question. the self must die. just my thoughts.

But LOVE, like GOD is undefinable. What exactly is it? Huh? Huh? You don't know do you? So let's just stop with the amorphous fuzzie wuzzies, man! You know what the coolest thing about happiness is? It's 'cause it's so, like, happy.

Jesus has got to be a savior. One way or the other Jesus has to in some way SAVE us. From what is another question.

Chris

Well, I wouldn't say love is undefinable, although there can be quite a lot of discussion about what it is.

Love is desiring the best for others.

Love is healing, feeding, nurturing.

Love is caring for the widows and orphans.

Love is social justice.

CS Lewis did a good job with the four loves.

Paul did an outstanding job describing love:

1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

You may see just sentimental wedding slop. I see salvation.

He doesn't? I was just taking a stab at what the bare minimum might be. If Jesus doesn't save then what's the point of Christianity? Is there anything closer to the bone?

Chris

He doesn't? I was just taking a stab at what the bare minimum might be. If Jesus doesn't save then what's the point of Christianity? Is there anything closer to the bone?

Chris

Now we are getting somewhere.

So, you're talking specifically about Christianity. I agree with you.

John 3:16 is one way to say that.

Back