Moderator against Member Religion against Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, to me its just a whinge. Wahhhhhhhhhhhh.
That was totally discourteous of me, sorry. Ill think ill go post on another forum about how ive been treated..........................

Namaste LenoBee,

thank you for the post.

did something change between the time of your observation and the time of your posting? you mention that you observed the members of the forum for 90 days prior to joining (though i may have misunderstood) and decided to join. given the nature of this post i have to wonder if these same things were already evident during your observation and, if so (given your feelings on the matter), what compelled you to join?

metta,

~v

Hmmm I don't. I could point out many a thread where this obviously isn't the case. But, perhaps it's just me....

Well, I would suggest to people two things...

1. There is a handy dandy "report post" function to use for any posts with which there is a perceived problem. I know you know about this Alex, so I would recommend that you use it when you feel a moderator should be moderated, the same way you use it when another member should be moderated. But I state it for everyone else here, as they may not realize there is this function.

2. There is the recourse to complain to Brian. As Brian indicates, he has received one complaint in 3 months. If you don't like how the board is functioning, or you have trouble with moderators, etc.-- PM or email Brian. He's the guy who pays for all this and spends inordinate hours making it work and he is the primary decision-maker.

As I indicated, in this thread alone we have two opposing complaints already- one for less moderation, one for more. Is it any surprise that we are rather limited in our capacity to make people happy?

I think what might be important to remember is that this is a discussion board. It's wonderful, it's a great way to talk about important issues, it's fun. It's also not the be all, end all to life. This isn't your government, your religious authoritative body, or your workplace. If it doesn't run perfectly according to your needs, isn't that to be expected? I know that all other organizations in my life don't run perfectly according to my own desires! And at least our imperfect governance doesn't result in economic downsizing, wars, or religious tailspins. Perspective, people-- perspective.

Well, I would suggest to people two things...

1. There is a handy dandy "report post" function to use for any posts with which there is a perceived problem. I know you know about this Alex, so I would recommend that you use it when you feel a moderator should be moderated, the same way you use it when another member should be moderated. But I state it for everyone else here, as they may not realize there is this function.

2. There is the recourse to complain to Brian. As Brian indicates, he has received one complaint in 3 months. If you don't like how the board is functioning, or you have trouble with moderators, etc.-- PM or email Brian. He's the guy who pays for all this and spends inordinate hours making it work and he is the primary decision-maker.

As I indicated, in this thread alone we have two opposing complaints already- one for less moderation, one for more. Is it any surprise that we are rather limited in our capacity to make people happy?

I think what might be important to remember is that this is a discussion board. It's wonderful, it's a great way to talk about important issues, it's fun. It's also not the be all, end all to life. This isn't your government, your religious authoritative body, or your workplace. If it doesn't run perfectly according to your needs, isn't that to be expected? I know that all other organizations in my life don't run perfectly according to my own desires! And at least our imperfect governance doesn't result in economic downsizing, wars, or religious tailspins. Perspective, people-- perspective.

I never suggested more or less moderation.
Neither of those options are viable in this situation. Your moderator at fault needs to admit it, then we can move forward. The only thing to do was to make it public. I have nothing to gain by going to one policeman and telling him that another policeman on the same force is harassing and insulting me me, nor would it help me to see the district attorney in private. I was not born last week. I do have something to gain by making it public knowledge and hiring an attorney. That may bring others forward to strengthen a valid case.

Namaste LenoBee,

thank you for the post.

did something change between the time of your observation and the time of your posting? you mention that you observed the members of the forum for 90 days prior to joining (though i may have misunderstood) and decided to join. given the nature of this post i have to wonder if these same things were already evident during your observation and, if so (given your feelings on the matter), what compelled you to join?

metta,

~v

You are correlating two things together that have nothing to do with this.

Some of you are masters of deflection. This has turned right back into making the new members and members look like the only bad people when there are indeed times when those in office also need correction. If you are going to point out the flaws in members then you need to be willing to point out the same flaws in the moderators and they need to be able to accept it and acknowledge it. If you expect the members to abide by the COC then your moderators need to set the example.

Hello-

Don't de-rail threads over and over. Try to stay reasonably on topic rather than using another poster's thread for an ongoing conversation or debate on some unrelated or very marginally related issue. This is in respect to the original poster and to keep things decently organized so people can find the topics that are relevant to them.

Peace,
Kim

Yeps I've done the same thing before when I noticed I started getting off topic.

-- Dauer

Is this also being enforced within the moderator circle? :)

This is exactly where it started. I was told that I must debate the moderator. Against my own will, I created the debate and he could not address the issues and slapped the moderator card on me. If a moderator is going to challenge a member to debate, then he needs to address the issues and he has no business challenging them as a moderator. I told the moderator as did the other member, he was completely off track and going the opposite direction with the topic. He could not tolerate being told he was in the wrong and from that point forward he has attempted to accuse and harass me. I wont stand for it! The other member has not been back since.

Umm Sherri, what is your point. ?
Are you unhappy?
No one really is concerned wether you are an old lady or a young man (or both, in some cases(Tao)) lol.

Moderators are just that, and guess what? some are even human. Whatever your beef is,either do something about it or..................
BUILD A BRIDGE, HONEY AND GET OVER IT.

love the Greymare.

Insulting people does not build bridges.

Just another quick pointer as well - as Tao mentioned, the style of moderating has changed a lot over the years - finding a balance between being too restrictive and too free has been quite a challenge.

We're about to rebrand with a new domain, and I'm expecting to keep a close eye on everything and help ensure the forums run as smoothly as possible.

There are a few new things to try out, but overall, the aim is to make this place more fun.

Sure, heated arguments will come up - I appreciate that - my concern is to simply ensure these do not become personal.

And as before, as above, if anyone has any problems with any individual moderator actions, I'm here to hear about it.

To the OP / LenoBee,
I have had some long running heated, sometimes personalised, 'debates' with a few of the Mods here but not one of them has ever pulled the Mod Card on me. Probably if anyone here stretches the rules to their limit here it is me. And I have been warned.

I think the rules used to be a bit more rigerously enforced than they now are and it has resulted in some passionate debates that were uncommon when I first arrived. Sometimes on a thread I am faced with multiple posters challenging me very personally because they believe that is what I am doing to them. Maybe some would just give up, being 1 against many can get tedious. But the heat of a good debate soon passes. The differences are forgotten then rediscovered and then forgotten again. And we can all go to the lounge and relax, joke and banter to our hearts content.

There is no such thing as the perfect forum. But this one is about as good as they get. I do not see it as needing any alteration.

tao

Thank you. I appreciate you sharing your experience, Tao_Equus:)

IBrian, if you are the owner, you did a calamitous job at addressing it. You received nothing, as if it was never there. I contemplated this in reflection as it was being composed. If your moderators are going to enforce the COC for you, then they all need to be examples of it.

Just another quick pointer as well - as Tao mentioned, the style of moderating has changed a lot over the years - finding a balance between being too restrictive and too free has been quite a challenge.

We're about to rebrand with a new domain, and I'm expecting to keep a close eye on everything and help ensure the forums run as smoothly as possible.

There are a few new things to try out, but overall, the aim is to make this place more fun.

Sure, heated arguments will come up - I appreciate that - my concern is to simply ensure these do not become personal.

And as before, as above, if anyone has any problems with any individual moderator actions, I'm here to hear about it.

This has nothing to do with it either. You are hearing about it, but deflecting.
I will not be cyber harassed. Please delete my account before I will submit to it. Thank you for your time.

The guy's been busy ;/ give him a break.. He has stated he will be keeping a close eye on the new domain and all bans shall be removed... He is addressing it.... What more can he offer? His blood?

I do not want blood.
He would be addressing the moderator and situation in question.

Some of you are masters of deflection. This has turned right back into making the new members and members look like the only bad people when there are indeed times when those in office also need correction. If you are going to point out the flaws in members then you need to be willing to point out the same flaws in the moderators and they need to be able to accept it and acknowledge it. If you expect the members to abide by the COC then your moderators need to set the example.

I've already told you, I'm here - but you haven't sent a single complaint to me.

In fact, you've only been here a short while yet a quarter of your posts so far are focused on telling us what a crap board run by crap people we have here.

You've raised a public discussion - fine - but unless you're going to illustrate any complaints to me personally, there's nothing to act upon.

In the meantime, it's worth remembering that this is a discussion community about religion - it is not a discussion community about the discussion community.

If you have something to really complain about, then you are welcome to PM me - otherwise, it's worth deciding whether a community you obviously so dislike at the beginning is somewhere you really should be.

I think you will find this is happening... The mods admin have their own forum here... And I tend to observe everyone and their movments... And I can tell you that there has been quite some movement in that forum latley... I think if you are finding their are conversations here you wish to join in with then perhaps just give this site one last chance? Brian has stated he will now be keeping control and watching he has already shut a thread down... I think you shall see a big change.

This has nothing to do with it either. You are hearing about it, but deflecting.
I will not be cyber harassed. Please delete my account before I will submit to it. Thank you for your time.

I'm not hearing anything - you're shouting incoherently.

Send me an example of what you're complaining about and I'll be happy to look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back