Theology subforum?

I still feel it is an area of censorship that is being instituted and this makes me uncomfortable. But this place has its rules and 1 or 2 more will make little difference when confined to one heading. So I don't care really. But I do have one proposal... it should be called "The Watching Paint Dry Section". I still think I could probably very easily google my way into posing my own legitimate atheistic posts there but I will refrain, go with the "spirit" :rolleyes: rather than the rules of what was intended.

tao
c'mon Tao, a bit over the top, isn't it? :eek:

"When handling catepillars, one must be careful, or else they'll never turn into butterflies..."
IB

I still feel it is an area of censorship that is being instituted and this makes me uncomfortable. But this place has its rules and 1 or 2 more will make little difference when confined to one heading. So I don't care really. But I do have one proposal... it should be called "The Watching Paint Dry Section". I still think I could probably very easily google my way into posing my own legitimate atheistic posts there but I will refrain, go with the "spirit" :rolleyes: rather than the rules of what was intended.

tao

maybe like the other side of the coin from a creationist posting their POV on the science board, unless they were censored? or lambasted....

s.

maybe like the other side of the coin from a creationist posting their POV on the science board, unless they were censored? or lambasted....

s.
Apples and oranges...or no wait ! Isn't that what they call "ambrosia" salad? :D

Hi Francis —

I don't care what the Pope/Dalai Lama/Rabbi SoandSo says about hell... their opinion of hell will be no less or more valid than yours, or mine... why should it?
By the same rule, if one is ill, why should a a doctor's diagnosis carry more weight than the opinion of the bloke in the chipshop?

Thomas

I think it ought to be under the Abrahamic or Christianity sections.

While I agree it is a type of censorship it is also a way of getting more people involved in the forum, which means potentially more people in the common areas and visiting other faith's areas. The existing sections have already encouraged discussion by means of censorship. That is why I would also like to see either an Atheist or Humanist section, just to see if we can get some more people on.

I realize that some non-Abrahamic sections (like the Sikh) are dormant, but that is partly because we are all posting in English. I am even in favor of trying a JW section, a Mormon section, or a section for anything that could attract new English-speaking interfaith posters. How about a Masonic section?

How about a Masonic section?
I have found it extremely difficult to get Masons to open up about their beliefs. I've tried on a number of occasions in differing formats...so a Masonic section I suspect would end up another exercise in futility.

Hi Francis —

By the same rule, if one is ill, why should a a doctor's diagnosis carry more weight than the opinion of the bloke in the chipshop?

Thomas

Omfg!! Now this is what really gets me agitated about theists. AUTHORITY. GOT TO BELIEVE THE SELF APPOINTED CROSS DRESSER. F**K it makes me livid to get this kind of crap. Just because you Thomas have invested all that time, effort and money seeking the authority of your qualification DOES NOT make it real or valid!! Get it? If the doctor is being bribed to punt prozac you are very likely better off with a deep fried mars bar.

tao

I think it ought to be under the Abrahamic or Christianity sections.

While I agree it is a type of censorship it is also a way of getting more people involved in the forum, which means potentially more people in the common areas and visiting other faith's areas. The existing sections have already encouraged discussion by means of censorship. That is why I would also like to see either an Atheist or Humanist section, just to see if we can get some more people on.

I realize that some non-Abrahamic sections (like the Sikh) are dormant, but that is partly because we are all posting in English. I am even in favor of trying a JW section, a Mormon section, or a section for anything that could attract new English-speaking interfaith posters. How about a Masonic section?

We could try a disney or dreamworks section?
:p:D

If we could add extra language support to the site, we'd attract more foreign religions and maybe even some French atheists-- while ironically also attracting more English speaking people (by inductive properties of Population Dynamics, copyright Dream 2008).

I'd like to see a theology board where, to participate, one has to either actually put forward something on topic and debatable, or ask polite questions. No "feelings" allowed. No unsupported arguments allowed. A "put up or shut up" zone.

Chris

If we could add extra language support to the site, we'd attract more foreign religions and maybe even some French atheists-- while ironically also attracting more English speaking people (by inductive properties of Population Dynamics, copyright Dream 2008).
Learning a couple languages so others could understand us might help...

Omfg!! Now this is what really gets me agitated about theists. AUTHORITY. GOT TO BELIEVE THE SELF APPOINTED CROSS DRESSER. F**K it makes me livid to get this kind of crap. Just because you Thomas have invested all that time, effort and money seeking the authority of your qualification DOES NOT make it real or valid!! Get it? If the doctor is being bribed to punt prozac you are very likely better off with a deep fried mars bar.

tao
It seems to me that if you do not believe then there is no "authority", as it may be applied to you. So, I fail to see how an "invalid" authority would upset anyone...

I'd like to see a theology board where, to participate, one has to either actually put forward something on topic and debatable, or ask polite questions. No "feelings" allowed. No unsupported arguments allowed. A "put up or shut up" zone.

Chris

But aren't feelings a form of support for argument in some circles?

Debatable is a debatable term. ;)

I still stand by thinking a theology subforum would be useful (even if considered boring by some).

And I *do* think there is value in discussion with people who are experts in the traditions, practices, and beliefs of their religion. While the comparison to a doctor may not be the most apt, I think the comparison to an historian or other humanities or social science expert would be. Remember- it isn't to say the "expert" in Catholicism, for example, is an expert in reality. It's to say that if I have a question or issue of debate on the doctrine or practices of Catholicism, it may help to speak with a Catholic well-educated in their own religion.

It's the basic concept of having key cultural consultants or expert informants. You want quality information about a particular area of knowledge, you might want to find an expert on it. That's the whole point of having a theology subforum, as opposed to the main forums where anyone can chime in whether they have a clue about the religion or not.

Me, personally- I have a deep interest in understanding what the experts know in each religion and how they see things. It's interesting to see where it differs from lay people and stereotypes. There's a richness in interpretation of history, tradition, and sacred text from which I can expand my knowledge of a tradition.

But then, I suppose I like watching paint dry... and I don't mind playing within some rules to get at new information. :rolleyes:

It seems to me that if you do not believe then there is no "authority", as it may be applied to you. So, I fail to see how an "invalid" authority would upset anyone...

Because that authority is imposed at the start and defines who can or cannot post. It is censorship and a platform for soapboxing nothing more. I do not know if Thomas is Romes man here but increasingly it appears to me as though he see's himself that way. I have personal objection to an institution such as the Catholic Church coming here and trying to change the rules and I think it a sad day for this community when we allow that to happen.

tao

Back