Book: Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Surprise, John Shelby Spong

It is an interesting read. Well documented, full bibliography, his work in 1991. First I've read of him, makes me interested in reading what he's produced recently.

Soundbites I've heard about him make him out to be a liberal wacko heretic. I don't think so, he is a bible loving Christian who is willing to show us behind the curtain.

I know many won't read it because of the same soundbites I heard. I wish they would and comment on the work and not the soundbites.

I look forward to others thoughts.

The book is indeed and interesting one. I've been fortunate enough to hear John Spong speak or 4 times, always an excellent experience. I wonder if it would be good to have a book discussion forum here.

whats wrong with Fundamentalism ?
You'll have to read the book.
The book is indeed and interesting one. I've been fortunate enough to hear John Spong speak or 4 times, always an excellent experience. I wonder if it would be good to have a book discussion forum here.
I'm thinking about going to Lyceum and catching him there.

Book discussion Forum? You are here!! The Media section is for us to title threads by books, movies, research papers etc. that we'd like to discuss in depth.

You'll have to read the book.

LOL

I read a few reviews of the book on amazon, and it doesnt really look like my bag.

i suppose because its a book not a bag :confused: still you know what I mean :D

and I read an interesting article of the book here Rescuing the Gospel from Bishop Spong

I then picked up my Bible, and found this verse, which seemed to speak to me directly regarding this guys book.

Ephesians 5:6-7 (New American Standard Bible)

Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
Therefore do not be partakers with them;
Praise GOD :)

Really you need to read what he says. Reading critical works about a work without reading the work in question actually answers nothing.

LOL

I read a few reviews of the book on amazon, and it doesnt really look like my bag.
Namaste GtG,

This is a book discussion section, the idea is for folks that have read the book to discuss their thoughts on the book. I realize you say the book is not your bag. But if you'd like to read and refute the statements and points in the book that would be wonderful to discuss here.

His words are far from empty, again with your bible knowledge it would benefit us all by your input. It is not a long read.

Really you need to read what he says. Reading critical works about a work without reading the work in question actually answers nothing.

No it does not reveal nothing. It reveals determined ignorance. A trait that goes hand in hand with fundamentalism.

tao

Namaste GtG,

This is a book discussion section, the idea is for folks that have read the book to discuss their thoughts on the book. I realize you say the book is not your bag. But if you'd like to read and refute the statements and points in the book that would be wonderful to discuss here.

His words are far from empty, again with your bible knowledge it would benefit us all by your input. It is not a long read.

the Lord revealed the truth of his novel to me :eek:, and I have no desire to read it.

Watch out! Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod."
but you are right this is book discussion, its just that one post led to another, you know how it is.

the Lord revealed the truth of his novel to me :eek:, and I have no desire to read it.

but you are right this is book discussion, its just that one post led to another, you know how it is.
I do know how it is. And this book would lead to some insight as to how mysteriously the lord works in putting together that novel of which you speak.

66 books most from decades and centuries of oral tradition, individually written by dozens of authors (each with an agenda), and edited by who knows how many more (with new agendas) over a period of 1500 years. Combined for the first time 200 years after the last one was written (to satisfy yet another agenda).

I'd stick with your first instinct on this G2G. It's not for you.

Chris

Christ's teachings on how to live our lives.

That said, I've read Spong and I think it was a good read and chock full of historical information. I found the information on the liturgical aspect of early Christianity and the information on Judaism (helping us understand Christ) particularly useful.

I don't agree with all Spong puts forth, however. I think Spong kind of throws the baby out with the bathwater, but if you have a strong faith and experience of Christ, it's not like reading the book will cause you to do the same. It will offer information that one is otherwise unlikely to know, and an alternative perspective that is worth investigation.

The way I see it, my faith can't grow simply by me sticking my head in the sand. On the other hand, there's no use in reading stuff you will not enjoy or be open to learning from.

I have copious notes on Spong, but not really the time to start a point by point discussion right now. I'd definitely be interested in a reading group on Spong one day. I'd love to hear others' perspectives.

Spong has pretty much dispensed with most of the major doctrines of the Christian faith. What is left?
Which part of the book makes you say that?

... I think Spong kind of throws the baby out with the bathwater, but if you have a strong faith and experience of Christ, it's not like reading the book will cause you to do the same...
My mother ended our discussion as Spong ended the book. Loving the bible and her faith. She appreciated how he recommended more study and reading by all.

wil said:
Which part of the book makes you say that?

Well, for one, he dismisses the miracles as not being 'scientific enough'. I suppose the Resurrection isn't scientific enough for him either.

I do agree that we need to come to the scriptures with an open mind and not just follow the status quo. We need to allow the Holy Spirit to speak to each of us as we read the Word. But the healings and miracles that Jesus performed don't make sense if they never happened. Christ was showing compassion when He healed the blind and make the lame to walk again. And if there is any hope in a resurrection, then one must have faith that this likewise happened. To believe otherwise only sinks one into depair, for if the dead not rise...

Well, for one, he dismisses the miracles as not being 'scientific enough'. I suppose the Resurrection isn't scientific enough for him either...
What page are you referring to, I'll gladly pull mine off the shelf and see what it is your speaking of.

I'm gonna have to request a 'hold' from the library, as that is where I got it from. Or come to think of it, it could have possibily been "Liberating the Gospels..." that I read. In which case I may need to apologize for referring the wrong book. But I believe that I read it right regardless.

I searched for this book at the library, but they do not have it! However, they did have Spong's Why Christianity Must Change or Die. Many of the same themes are probably recurring in both books, so I would like to discuss it (though I have not finished reading it yet).

Personally I still do not agree at the moment that you can be Christian that does not believe in the "fundamentals" of Christianity. There were some discussions in this book on the Babylonian captivity that may change my mind. I never knew that the temple, which is God's dwelling place, was so important to Judaism.

For example:
Spong has pretty much dispensed with most of the major doctrines of the Christian faith. What is left?
With what Dondi said in mind, it just seems like the same can be asked about Judaism too. Without Jerusalem, what is left of Judaism? The temple is gone, the three festivals are no more, "the priesthood, their sacred customs, their creedal statements, the social fabric that gave order to Jewish life--were all lost," says Spong. So I can no longer practice my faith now that all of these are gone? The same can be said of Christianity too. Can I still be a Christian without believing in the virgin birth, the resurrection, original sin, and the ascension, for example? My answer would be no. Christianity has become to rigid for me. Rather than being a "believer in exile," I prefer to be apart of a system of beliefs that I do not feel as though I am in constant opposition to.

Back