What Makes Christianity Relevant Today?

lunamoth

Episcopalian
Reaction score
Is it relevant?

What contribution can only Christianity make to the world?

What is the gospel Christians are called share?

[Discussion starter for a Friday. :)]

Is it relevant?

Friday? Does that mean we can't get to the meat of this discussion till tomorrow?

Can ONLY Christianity make to the world...

As everyone here is aware, I believe we can all find our path.

However as a Christian, I believe it to be absolutely relevant.

And If I were to pick the contribution I see that we could provide I'll
have to quote Ghandi, "Be the change you wish to see in the world"

And then Jesus, "love your neighbor as yourself."

So the impetus as I see it is to first Love yourself, accept who you are, and grow from there. Love your neighbor, grok oneness, extend that to your enemy as also offered.

Our words are nothing without a constant, steadfast example, we needn't admire Jesus from afar but put the mind of Christ in our mind.

So within, as without...in earth as it is in heaven...

:)]
matthew 24;14 the good news of the KINGDOM:)

what kingdom would that be then?

it would be this one spoken of in DANIEL 2;44

and it is really relavant for today because it was set up and established by God in the heavens in 1914 .

and the heralding about this ESTABLISHED KINGDOM which has JESUS as a reigning king.

is being made known on a global basis , and it is being made known to put people on notice about it .

some respond to the GOODNEWS about the kingdom, but most do not .

but it is being made known for a witness ,or to put people on notice about it .

so regardless of how many people respond to the preaching of the GOODNEWS ,the work of making it known goes on .

and Jesus himself is directing that great preaching work .

and yes you have guessed, :)MEE HAS PUT MY VOTE IN :)

Is it relevant?

You ask this in a christian forum? Then there can only be one set of answers....

Yes.
Salvation.
(sorry do not fully understand the third question.)

I could if you wish go into detail but I am sure you're all aware of why I picked them answers.

You ask this in a christian forum? Then there can only be one set of answers....

Yes.
You're probably right that will be the only answer, although some might say things like: it could be, it should be, it will be.

Salvation.
Funny, that's not the first thing that came into my mind, although of course it is related.

(sorry do not fully understand the third question.)
What is the good news of Christianity that we are called to share? Christianity is a mission-based religion, but what exactly does that mean? I think it means different things to different people.

I don't think it means to go around beating people with the Bible, threatening hell, or attempting to convert others.

I could if you wish go into detail but I am sure you're all aware of why I picked them answers.
Yes, but I was hoping for some views that might prompt discussion.

:)

wil said:
Love your neighbor, grok oneness, extend that to your enemy as also offered.

I don't know if I can grock oneness. But I grok Spock.

lunamoth said:
Is it relevant?
Well, we haven't been wiped out...yet.

What Jesus told us to do.

Gospel means good news. Beats the six o'clock news any day.

:)
so, what are your thoughts on the :)GOODNEWS OF THE KINGDOM :) MATTHEW 24;14

do you think that it is goodnews that God has set up a heavenly kingdom ,?
and the fact that it will crush and put an end to all the manmade goverments? its all in Daniel 2;44 about it.

Also, in all the nations the good news has to be preached first
mark 13;10

Very well,

is it relevant?

There is this book, where you can look... for guidance when you are in doubt, when you have failed, when you are facing death, when you have faced death, when you are troubled, when you ae spiteful, when you feel the urge for revenge, when you are distressed, when you are aware of errors you have made, when you are broken hearted, bereaved, attacked, afraid, desperate, insulted, lonley, seeking any guidance, sleepless, praying, weak in faith, far from your god, looking for peace, when you are indange or threatend, ill or in pain, lost of inadequate when your friends fail you... When you are weary even looking for a job, when you have left home, when you are thankful... Even when you conisder commiting suiced, divorce, drinking more than a moderated amount, abuse of drugs, evious, lie, steal, sexual immorality...

This book I speak of gives so much more guidance... It can advise on: anger, , purity, self-control, truthfulness, honesty, morales, permissiveness, obedience, humility, hope, faith, politics, war, friendship, crime, charavter, hatred, contentment,wisdom.... I could go on.....

Is it relevant?

What it brings that none other can? We are in the christian forums, so it brings the word, the promise, the truth of the one true living god... YHWH... And what it brings is peace and salvation that no other religion can.... Take pharaoh for example.... When the angel of death struck the first born of every child within Egypt, Pharaoh took his son to the altars to be raised from the dead by his gods..... His gods were but stone and could do nothing in the pure awe of his will.

What are we to share? I believe the will of YHWH...

I don't know if I can grock oneness. But I grok Spock.

lunamoth said:
Is it relevant?
Well, we haven't been wiped out...yet.
Yes, it's still around. So are our appendixes. :D

What Jesus told us to do.
Which is...

What is uniquely Christian and necessary?

Gospel means good news. Beats the six o'clock news any day.

And the good news is...?

It seems I am really pathetic at starting interesting threads and good OPs! :D

Gospel means good news.

very true :)

and it is GOODNEWS that the kingdom has been established and Jesus has recieved his kingship DANIEL 2;44 daniel 7;13-14

and soon the end of manmade goverments and rulerships will come ,and they will have had their day .

then the goodnews is that Gods kingdom can rule without any opposition .:) now that is GOODNEWS:)

His commandments. "Love one another as I have loved you", for starters.

That's a good one and I would put that as my answer too, or at least as a big chunk of it.

Read the instructions.

Read the newsparchment.
:confused:

I was just hoping for an interesting conversation. I've read the Bible, much of it many times. Seems that there's a lot that can be talked about. :eek:

Very well,

is it relevant?

There is this book, where you can look... for guidance when you are in doubt, when you have failed, when you are facing death, when you have faced death, when you are troubled, when you ae spiteful, when you feel the urge for revenge, when you are distressed, when you are aware of errors you have made, when you are broken hearted, bereaved, attacked, afraid, desperate, insulted, lonley, seeking any guidance, sleepless, praying, weak in faith, far from your god, looking for peace, when you are indange or threatend, ill or in pain, lost of inadequate when your friends fail you... When you are weary even looking for a job, when you have left home, when you are thankful... Even when you conisder commiting suiced, divorce, drinking more than a moderated amount, abuse of drugs, evious, lie, steal, sexual immorality...

This book I speak of gives so much more guidance... It can advise on: anger, , purity, self-control, truthfulness, honesty, morales, permissiveness, obedience, humility, hope, faith, politics, war, friendship, crime, charavter, hatred, contentment,wisdom.... I could go on.....

Nicely said Alex, the Bible is a great place to find guidance and wisdom. And I think it is/can be a thin place where the veils between us and God are removed. I like to contemplate on the verses of the Bible...although it often seems difficult for me to get into that frame of mind.

Time to take someone to soccer practice (my sistere-in-law is the Hockey Mom, I'm a lowly soccer mom). Later!

I think alot of the time... We look hard for the meaning, we're seeking the "message" looking out to see the big picture.... I have found it helps to just pick the book up, expect nothing and just read, You need no adjustments only eyes to read a heart to touch and a mind to engrave... Oh and hands to turn the pages ;)

I've been reading for the past couples months or so now a few chapters a night before bed just as easy reading... And you do see much and understand things from just "listening".

Is it relevant?

Yes. I think what is a more contentious issue outside Christianity is if it is necessary. Relevance (at least to me) is obvious. Necessity is more difficult and seems to require faith.

That's a real stumper, to be honest. I have ideas about the contributions only Christ made to the world, but Christianity (as a religion) has a whole lot in common with other religions. Love your neighbor, love God, forgive, serve others... it's all in a lot of other religions, too. I think what differentiates Christianity is Christ Himself, as a bridge between the Divine and humanity.

Mine would not be the usual version, but...

The Kingdom of Heaven is among and within you. Love God with all your heart and soul, and your neighbor as yourself, and this Kingdom will be in your midst. Serve God and your fellow beings faithfully, forgive, give to those in need, heal those who are hurting.

I do believe it is summed up in John 3:16, but "belief in Christ" to me- real belief- means that we are followers of Him. Christ's teachings mostly emphasized how to live a good life, the kind of life that leads to the Kingdom of Heaven. The good news is that the grace of God and the Holy Spirit are with us, and so this Kingdom of Heaven and our own deliverance is within reach.

Is it relevant?
Alex says it is. I'm not feeling so certain lately, but people change you know. The message of Christianity has actually become ubiquitous in society and dovetails with the 'Love your neighbor' message in other religions as Path of One has said.

The long-term aim is to prove that all people are liars while simultaneously demonstrating that God is true. If it proves this it will have contributed plenty.

Glory to God in the highest, peace on Earth, and good will toward men: Full acceptance into the household of faith merely by the embrace of it. Mercy to all those that are merciful, and no uncleanness seen in those who reject the glory and boasts of humankind for the glory of God who is in the highest. Death to those who hate mercy and boast in their own goodness.

I think alot of the time... We look hard for the meaning, we're seeking the "message" looking out to see the big picture.... I have found it helps to just pick the book up, expect nothing and just read, You need no adjustments only eyes to read a heart to touch and a mind to engrave... Oh and hands to turn the pages ;)

I agree. There are lots of ways to approach the Bible and I read the Bible in different ways for different reasons. To read the story and be inspired, to pray with it, to study it and try to understand how it came to be, to meditate over just one or two verses, to memorize parts to hold with me throughout the day...

I've come to believe that it is important to read it in community too.

I've been reading for the past couples months or so now a few chapters a night before bed just as easy reading... And you do see much and understand things from just "listening".
I like the way you use the word 'listening' here. I think it is very much possible to 'listen' with the Bible and hear God. I also have heard God during the liturgy at church in a way that is...More.

Yes. I think what is a more contentious issue outside Christianity is if it is necessary. Relevance (at least to me) is obvious. Necessity is more difficult and seems to require faith.

That's a real stumper, to be honest. I have ideas about the contributions only Christ made to the world, but Christianity (as a religion) has a whole lot in common with other religions. Love your neighbor, love God, forgive, serve others... it's all in a lot of other religions, too. I think what differentiates Christianity is Christ Himself, as a bridge between the Divine and humanity.

Mine would not be the usual version, but...

The Kingdom of Heaven is among and within you. Love God with all your heart and soul, and your neighbor as yourself, and this Kingdom will be in your midst. Serve God and your fellow beings faithfully, forgive, give to those in need, heal those who are hurting.

I do believe it is summed up in John 3:16, but "belief in Christ" to me- real belief- means that we are followers of Him. Christ's teachings mostly emphasized how to live a good life, the kind of life that leads to the Kingdom of Heaven. The good news is that the grace of God and the Holy Spirit are with us, and so this Kingdom of Heaven and our own deliverance is within reach.

As usual, I see it very similarly Kim. Very nicely expressed!

Alex says it is. I'm not feeling so certain lately, but people change you know. The message of Christianity has actually become ubiquitous in society and dovetails with the 'Love your neighbor' message in other religions as Path of One has said.
Do you mean that you think it is relevant, but superfluous? Not trying to start a debate BTW, just trying to be sure I understand your view on this.

The long-term aim is to prove that all people are liars while simultaneously demonstrating that God is true. If it proves this it will have contributed plenty.
:confused: Can you explain this more? I don't follow.

Glory to God in the highest, peace on Earth, and good will toward men: Full acceptance into the household of faith merely by the embrace of it. Mercy to all those that are merciful, and no uncleanness seen in those who reject the glory and boasts of humankind for the glory of God who is in the highest. Death to those who hate mercy and boast in their own goodness.

Thank you for your input dream. May I ask, which Christian tradition do you come from? You seem to be in a transition phase, from what you say. Care to share anything about your walk?

extend that to your enemy as also offered.

This one is perhaps not totally unique to Christianity, as I know it is also part of the Baha'i Faith and perhaps others, but I would say that this teaching is one of the instances where Christianity is especially relevant, challenging, and at odds with 'the world.' It's contentious even among Christians!

[/QUOTE]

Back