The Secret Behind The Creation Of Good And Evil

A

ahmetsecer

The life of this world is a test specially created by Allah. It is a transitory thing with both good and bad in which human beings are tested. There is, of course, considerable wisdom in this. It is essential that evil exist beside good for people to understand the value of Paradise. Human beings are tested in terms of the virtuous behavior they display, by Allah’s leave, in this sphere in which the good are divided from the evil.

The life of this world is a sphere in which there is a constant struggle between the good and the bad. However, good and bad are not separated from one another by just a few characteristics. They possess totally different, comprehensive and detailed character traits. The bad act entirely according to satan’s directions, while the good follow their consciences. The bad know no bounds inspired by fear of Allah, and are capable of doing anything at any time. When the situation and prevailing conditions require they are quite capable of lying, slandering others, engaging in unlawful acts, disloyalty, treachery, putting their own interests before those of others, hatred, envy, imbalance and intrigue. Since they have no fear of Allah they are potentially capable of all kinds of betrayal and wickedness. There is nothing to stop them killing, for example, when they become sufficiently imbalanced. The more evil they commit, the more they come under satan’s control, and the more evil deeds they are capable of committing.

People under satan’s control busy themselves with wrongdoing, making life difficult for others, and spreading darkness, fear and misery, instead of enjoying life’s blessings. They look at the life of this world from a different perspective. Although they know their lives will be very brief, they still elect to waste this short time span on feelings of greed and enmity, thinking of their own interests. And their targets are people of good character.

Good people are those who act from a fear of Allah. The delights created in this world are all blessings in the eyes of such people. Fear of Allah leads them to behave well and properly throughout their lives, to be loyal and honest, never to do anything unlawful, never to infringe anyone else’s rights, to put others above themselves, to be friends and brothers to others, to be trustworthy, to harbor no ulterior motives and never to plot and conspire. Such people are highly virtuous at every moment in their lives. They are never imbalanced, exhibit unexpected character traits or lose control of themselves. Because of their fear of Allah, the good always behave in a manner compatible with the Qur’an.

This is one of the main distinguishing features between the good and the bad. It is also the cause of the evil’s eternal hostility to the good: Since the evil have declared war on all that Allah sees as good, they also hate those who love Him.

Since the life of this world is a test in which the good are distinguished from the bad, whenever there is chaos and evil in it, one faces the need to live in a manner compatible with the Qur’an. Only when people live for Allah’s approval, and thus according to the Qur’an, will this world be a flawless place of friendship, brotherhood, honesty, love and compassion. The fact that this world was created as described in the Qur’an is also evidence of the existence of the Hereafter. People are tested according to whether or not they will abide by the Qur’an. In one verse Almighty Allah reveals:
He Who created death and life to test which of you is best in action. He is the Almighty, the Ever-Forgiving. (Surat al-Mulk, 2)
Perfection endures for all time in the eternal Paradise created by Allah. Our Almighty Lord will bestow His artistry of perfection, together with the most delightful blessings, on true believers in the Hereafter. Paradise is a sphere where there is no evil, imperfection, sorrow or fear, in which delights are bestowed for all eternity. It manifests the sublime artistry of Allah, He Who has the power to create flawlessness and the finest blessings. As our Almighty Lord reveals in other verses:
Those brought near will witness it. The truly good will be in perfect Bliss on couches gazing in wonder. (Surat al-Mutaffifin, 21-23)

Salam

"Such people are highly virtuous at every moment in their lives. They are never imbalanced, exhibit unexpected character traits or lose control of themselves."

If you think about it, even some of the most esteemed companions of the Prophet were not "good" according to this definition. And this, I think, is really the point. No man/woman/child is truly "good".
Once a man called Jesus PBUH "good master", and Jesus PBUH replied "why thou callest me good" ?

How I wish I could emulate the perfection of these characteristics of "good" which you have listed here brother. But even if I did, (which I think is impossible this life, for any human being) only God can truly be called "good".

Allow me brother to expand on the issue, because there aren't many concepts more important to our understanding in life then this one. Because linked to this, is a much deeper question of the nature of good and evil.

Firstly, the question we must answer is why is it only God who can be considered "good"? This is an easy question to answer. Simply because only God is capable of doing good for non-selfish purposes.

Any man who does good does it because of one or more of these reasons:

A) He expects a reward from other men
B) He expects a reward/wants to impress God
C) He satisfies some desire to be considered "good" in his own soul *which is a trap of vanity*
D) He does good because God commands him to do it.

All of these reasons are either selfish, or the result of an external factor.
This is why man can not be considered "good". In fact, man does not even know what "good" is if the path to it isnt laid out for him by God.

But why does God do good? God, gains nothing from doing good. And this is the answer to this question. God does good, because He is good. No one else can be "good", for this reason.

But now, to the other side of the equation. Your post is addressing not just good, but "evil" as well. The question now that follows is, what is evil? And is God capable of doing evil? Let me ask this question: God created Satan. Satan committed a great evil. So does that mean God is responsible for that act? He created Satan knowing what Satan would do. But He still created him, just like He created mankind. Even the angels objected at first, but God said He knows what they know not.

In the Quran, God has stated that the only reason He created mankind, is to have Mercy on them (us). What does this mean? It means, that in reality brother, there is no such thing as evil. I am not saying what you might think I am saying.

There is a concept in eastern religions, and even Judeo-Christianity that there is a great battle between good and evil. And in some sense, this is true. God hates evil, and so do the believers. And it is the duty of good to repel evil.

However, it is VERY CRUCIAL to understand that "good" is not dependent on Evil. What I mean is that in Islam, we must avoid a "yin/yang" type classification. Our God is Good, they are inseparable. And since God is completely transcendent, therefore, so is "Goodness".

What does this mean? It means that since God has no equal, or counterpart. By definition, Good also has no equal or counterpart. So in reality, evil is not a competitor to Good, because only God Himself is "good"... and God of course, has no competitor.

This is the answer to the paradox. In Islam one of the greatest goals of the mystics is to understand and reconcile the opposing attributes of God. For example, God is both Merciful, yet He also punishes with his wrath. The truth is that there is no opposing contradiction here. It is just an illusion. God said He created man to have mercy on him. What that really means is that even the evil in this world, is just a "test" like you said in your post.

But what that really means is that because evil was only created to "test", it doesn't exist by itself. Unlike "good" which exists eternally, and is part of God Himself.

Salam.

Any man who does good does it because of one or more of these reasons:

A) He expects a reward from other men
B) He expects a reward/wants to impress God
C) He satisfies some desire to be considered "good" in his own soul *which is a trap of vanity*
D) He does good because God commands him to do it.

All of these reasons are either selfish, or the result of an external factor.
This is why man can not be considered "good". In fact, man does not even know what "good" is if the path to it isnt laid out for him by God.

Salam.

Doesn't everyone know in their heart that doing good is it's own reward and isn't it only fear, fear of the death of ego that stops us doing it?

Bless you for thinking about this - it is certainly food for thought, but isn't there also a trap in making God great by making man his creation small.

I seem to remember Rumi saying that the world is full of people like Jesus and isn't it true there are millions working away selflessly with little reward humbly trying to do good?

peace and blessings,

qj

Hello quakeyjase

Doesn't everyone know in their heart that doing good is it's own reward and isn't it only fear, fear of the death of ego that stops us doing it?

Bless you for thinking about this - it is certainly food for thought, but isn't there also a trap in making God great by making man his creation small.

I seem to remember Rumi saying that the world is full of people like Jesus and isn't it true there are millions working away selflessly with little reward humbly trying to do good?

peace and blessings,

qj

I think it would be fair to say that if one believes in the concept of a "God" who created everything and is the source of all good, then he should not have a problem believing that even the human instinct which drives someone to do good, is given to man/woman by God. After all, this is what is meant by God being the source right?

I do however understand your concern, but I think that even if man ends up considering himself small before God and gains a level of humility from that, it is not a problem. Unlike of course the trap of vanity, which has the actual effect of nullifying good works. If indeed man does good to feed his own ego and vanity.

I have been reading the following in the Bible recently which seem kinda relevant :)

James 4:7 (New International Version)
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you

and

Ephesians 6:10-12 (New International Version)
The Armor of God
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

The life of this world is a test specially created by Allah. It is a transitory thing with both good and bad in which human beings are tested. There is, of course, considerable wisdom in this. It is essential that evil exist beside good for people to understand the value of Paradise. Human beings are tested in terms of the virtuous behavior they display, by Allah’s leave, in this sphere in which the good are divided from the evil.
What a laughable idea. The creation of the untold suffering and misery just to test us!! That is the work of a sadist.

tao

@
Bananabrain + GlorytoGod + Tao

Bananabrain

which, incidentally, is precisely what i'd tend to ask about harun yahya, who is as usual being cut-and-pasted at us.

b'shalom

bananabrain
I have been having my doubts about him ever since I learned of his political inclinations in Turkey. But that might just be because of a personal bias I have towards any/all politicians.

Glory

I have been reading the following in the Bible recently which seem kinda relevant :)

James 4:7 (New International Version)
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you
and

Quote:
Ephesians 6:10-12 (New International Version)
The Armor of God
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
WoW... those are some powerful verses. One of my favorites quotes of all time is incidentally about vanity, and its from the Old Testament: Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas Ecclesiastes 1:2

"... All is Vanity"

Tao

What a laughable idea. The creation of the untold suffering and misery just to test us!! That is the work of a sadist.
I don't know Tao. If you think about it, without God in the equation, all of this "untold suffering and misery" in the world would have no purpose. It would go unpunished and the wicked will remain unredeemed.

I think that idea is much more disturbing. In fact, I can not even fathom how anyone would want to live in a world without God, precisely because of this implication. A world in which there is no hope for justice for all the ruined souls. This is one of the reasons, among others, why this idea just never appealed to me.

A Universal Religion - Zoroastrianism at zoroastrianism.cc/universal_religion.html

is perhaps the best definition I have read.

"… Zarathushtra's is a message about a spirituality that progresses towards self-realization, fulfillment and completeness, as a good creation of a totally good God. It is a message of freedom - freedom to choose, freedom from fear, freedom from guilt, freedom from sin, freedom from stultifying rituals, superstitious practices, fake spirituality and ceremonials. The God of Zarathustra, is not a God of "Thou shalt" and "Thou shall not". God in Zoroastrianism does not care what you wear, what and when you eat or where and when you worship. God instead cares how righteous, progressive and good you are.

1. God is not about fear guilt and Condemnation.
2. God is Wisdom Love and Logic.
3. God does not have favorites and does not discriminate on the basis of nationality, sex, race or class.
4. God treats humans with dignity and respect.
5. God is not a slave master, or despot, among his serfs.
6. God is man's Soul Mate and Partner.
7. God is not Jealous, Wrathful or Vengeful.
8. Man is not sinful, fallen or depraved.
9. God has no opponent and heaven and hell are states of mind and being.
10. Man was created to progress to God-likeness and eliminate wrong from the Cosmos in partnership with God.

The Zoroastrian Religion pictures humanity as the growing and evolving creation of a God that respects it, and wants it to collaborate in the task of preserving, nourishing, fostering and refreshing this Living World and all it offers. A Zoroastrian is supposed to progress towards God (Ahura Mazda) by their own choices. Choosing to do good, and to avoid choosing to do wrong or evil. Zoroastrianism is thus the first truly ethical religion of human-kind and teaches that mortals achieve their goal of god-likeness and spiritual completeness by fighting evil through good thoughts, words and deeds. …"

@ kiwimac

You know the cool thing is that there are Muslims (myself amongst them) who accept Zoroaster as a prophet of God. In fact, there is mention of Darius The Great, the Persian King and follower of Zoroaster, as the pious King Dhul-Qurnain in a very key passage about the end times in the Quran.

But of course, we also believe that the teachings of Zoroaster were distorted as time went by. However, I still consider Zoroastrianism very close to the Judeo-Christian and Islamic traditions. Its just the idea of duality in Zoroastarism which seems to be problematic. There is evidence to suggest that some of duality concept (light vs dark) present in Christianity is also because of influence from Zoroasterism.

Excellent thread ..... just posting to put it in my CP then I can come back to it later. :eek:

Back