The Goddess

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Dude

Having met many pagans, wiccans and followers of new age beliefs that center around a Goddess I get the feeling that a big part of the reason that the larger religions refer to God as definitively male is because to referring to the Godhead as female arouses far too much narcissism in women. It's like these pagan/wiccan/new age girls actually think that they are a Goddess that should be worshipped and that the normal rules of society don't apply to.

This latent narcissism in females is quite possibly innate as evidenced by almost every young girl's desire to be a princess.

In short perhaps the architects of religion wanted to give us a Goddess but when they did it went right to the chicks' heads.

lol... that's an interesting perspective, The Dude.

My image of the Goddess is not a narcissistic princess staring into a vanity mirror, but kind of a dual image: a compassionate, nurturing maternal figure, embedded in community, for one; the other side of that is a fiercely individualistic and idealistic figure who don't stand for no bull**** from the heartless ones. She's a punk rock momma with a communal agenda, to put it another way.

I am a product of my own desires and perceptions, though, so that's probably a rather idiosyncratic vision.

:D

Having met many pagans, wiccans and followers of new age beliefs that center around a Goddess I get the feeling that a big part of the reason that the larger religions refer to God as definitively male is because to referring to the Godhead as female arouses far too much narcissism in women. It's like these pagan/wiccan/new age girls actually think that they are a Goddess that should be worshipped and that the normal rules of society don't apply to.

This latent narcissism in females is quite possibly innate as evidenced by almost every young girl's desire to be a princess.

In short perhaps the architects of religion wanted to give us a Goddess but when they did it went right to the chicks' heads.

Yes, we've learned that intelligent attractive women must be cut down to size so as for them to know their place. If not we all suffer. Fortunately we have volunteers to ensure it gets done. Here is an effort we can be proud of:

Gateway Pundit: ANGRY LEFT Protest C*nt Sarah Palin in Philly

Efforts like these will assure that such uppity women stay in their place.

It's not uppity women so much as vain women who think that they are Goddess like. If I had a nickel for every time a woman expressed the sentiment that they are like God because they give birth I'd have quite a few nickels.

I don't recall ever hearing a man liken himself to a God other than in jest.

Like I said maybe this whole Goddess worship thing was tried before but it failed because of all the swelled heads of the competing wannabe goddesses.

It's not uppity women so much as vain women who think that they are Goddess like. If I had a nickel for every time a woman expressed the sentiment that they are like God because they give birth I'd have quite a few nickels.

Like I said maybe this whole Goddess worship thing was tried before but it failed because of all the swelled heads of the competing wannabe goddesses.

But it isn't easy to be vain if others are celebrating an attractive intelligent woman. The best way to eliminate the problem and restore personal vanity is by calling them c*nts. This not only furthers personal female vanity but lengthens the male penis.

There is abundant documentation of whole religions and societies structured around the concept that the male is "in God's image," and the female is merely a companion (or even property) created for the male's use.

Some religions even teach that men in particular can become God.

Women have only recently escaped from second-class citizenship only since the 1960s and 1970s in North America. Watch old TV shows like "All In the Family" (the one with Archie Bunker) and keep in mind that it was considered controversial for the time because women were finally being allowed to be shown attempting to step out of the old stereotypical roles.

It might be worthwhile to study the stories of the gods and goddesses a bit more too (including the stories in the Bible) as there are plenty of examples of rather petty behaviour to be found.

One other thing to keep in mind too, with regard to the modern Pagan community, is that the Divine (gods and goddesses) are popularly considered to be immanent as well as transcendent (a philosophy called "panentheism" or sometimes referred to a "pantheism.") When people believe that the Divine is literally in everything, including in themselves, it's not surprising that some of them might present themselves as being at least partially Divine.

; )

Ben Gruagach

There is abundant documentation of whole religions and societies structured around the concept that the male is "in God's image,"

Granted but I haven't seen this go to guys heads the way Goddess worship does with many women.

personally, i think that if one is stupid enough to treat G!D like a Big Beard In The Sky, one can hardly object to people stupid enough to talk about the Divine in terms of the Big Tits In The Earth. both are equally wrong and equally limiting.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Goddess worship...vanity???

Call me confused. Most of the icons I've seen to Goddesses contain large pregnant women, depicting creation and birth. Others have multiple arms with all the roles they play.

I guess I haven't been around the pagans that you have.

But surely the 'G!d' system has its issues. Only men are allowed to speak in church, only men can be priests, only men... the fear factor of women and the goddess is quite clear to me.

btw, all you ladies are goddesses in my eyes.

Granted but I haven't seen this go to guys heads the way Goddess worship does with many women.

I take it you haven't heard of Kevin Carlyon then. Or TV preachers (any one -- take your pick.)

There are lots of guys out there who have used religion to prop up their overinflated egos.

Last edited:

Do you doubt that Obama is the messiah? Refresh your faith and believe while you still can.

Is Barack Obama the Messiah?

Nick A... man, give it a rest.

First time I've heard of him. What a creep.

Pathless, you are obviously in need of further education. You will shortly be contacted by educators and invited to join and practice with the Obama choir. Soon after you will have a revelation and you will experience the error of your ways and that your salvation will come from Obama. You are indeed lucky to be given such an opportunity.

Pathless, you are obviously in need of further education. You will shortly be contacted by educators and invited to join and practice with the Obama choir. Soon after you will have a revelation and you will experience the error of your ways and that your salvation will come from Obama. You are indeed lucky to be given such an opportunity.

And you are a moron.

personally, i think that if one is stupid enough to treat G!D like a Big Beard In The Sky, one can hardly object to people stupid enough to talk about the Divine in terms of the Big Tits In The Earth. both are equally wrong and equally limiting.

While I agree that they are both equally wrong I do not think that they are both equally limiting at least not in the functional sense.

Many times people turn to religion when they are truly frightened by life. At this time I think that a personal God can be useful in that it is comforting and can give the believer a psychological sense of being protected. Because males are generally bigger, stronger, faster (and have better target directed motor skills) a masculine image of God might just work better in this situation. And if in prosperous times a feminine image of God lends to narcissism (selfish behavior not looking at ones self in the mirror) maybe the masculine image could be considered less limiting in a functional sense.

All that being said I think that it might be best to refer to God as gender neutral and never use pronouns to refer to God.

The question is: Is God a gender neutral term or does it necessarily imply a masculine God?

And you are a moron.

Resistance is futile. You will be absorbed into the common good for the benefit of all. This is change you can believe in and through proper education coming from the messiah, you will become grateful for it once you've seen the light.

Universal love: it is a wonderful thing.

That would depend on the religion and the person.

To me, not gender neutral...spirit, the allness, is genderless.

Yeah, but spirit and allness don't sound personal enough to inspire the psychological benefit of having someone looking out for you.

I agree that emphasis on the Goddess is a hen sorta thing. I've found that it's harmony promoting not to make fun of it too much, especially when you're outnumbered. Women do need space to do woman tribe things together and express their womanly woo woo powers.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back