Votes: 16 64.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters

GlorytoGod

There is a River
Reaction score
Are jehovah's witnesses Christians ?

jehovah's witnesses seem to share some teachings with Christianity but much of their teaching is heretical and not Christian.

Are they Christian ?

Even thought they don't even call themselves Christians, I believe they are. Anyone who follows Jesus' commands would be a Christian. At least in my opinion.

jehovah's witnesses seem to share some teachings with Christianity but much of their teaching is heretical and not Christian.

Are they Christian ?
Are you? And if so, why?:eek:

If any one denomination was allowed to go around and label who is and is not Christian, Christianity would shrink me thinks.

(and of course their denominaton would be included, at least their lineage of their denomination..)

I'm agreeing with Christine.

If any one denomination was allowed to go around and label who is and is not Christian, Christianity would shrink me thinks.

(and of course their denominaton would be included, at least their lineage of their denomination..)

I do not.

There is more to Christianity than taking care of orphans, or waiting for the coming of the Lord.

A Christian accepts the "fact" that Jesus is GOD. If one does not, then they are not, Christian.

The Jews have a word for followers of the faith, but are not Jews. They were called Samaritans...

Bottom line is...Is Jesus God? Answer: yes

If one does not accept that, then one is not Christian.

I'm sorry, but that is the simple fact. Christ is the base word for Christian...:eek:

Bottom line is...Is Jesus God? Answer: yes

If one does not accept that, then one is not Christian.

I'm sorry, but that is the simple fact. Christ is the base word for Christian...:eek:
That is your belief system Q, I accept an am ok that that is the way you believe. But there are a number of Christians who follow Christ and beleive in G!d but not the trinity.

I find it interesting how during all the numerous trinitarian arguments/discussions on this board folks don't actually respond to mee's points individually. They avoid the scripture and interpretation that don't fit their paradigm and move on to one that does. (just as mee does, just as we all do, the funny thing is how we point fingers)

Some folks would say worshipping/praying to Mary or Saints or wearing, carving idols is non christian...the argument continues until we can learn to respect others beliefs and ways of worship.

I believe Jesus would be a whole lot more encompassing and compassionate than his followers. (generalization)

right, wrong, opinionated dualism is all, guess one day we will all find out....or not.

No, sorry I guess I should been more clear, I just find the whole idea of creating a thread to in a way round up a digital lynch mob/posse to point fingers and say these ain't christians! And the yes no poll is just unreal I feel there should be a third option... "other" or "not my place" "not my role" or something lol

I don't think we should be judging who is and who isn't I just think we should see the good in one another and praise it and for the bad pray for that person. I think (but then again who am I? Or who is anyone?) that the JW's have many good points and are wishing to do good and learn of god, I am sure we all make errors, misunderstandings, but if that will, that desire is there to walk the path of righteousness... Then surley that man will be welcomed with warm embrace by god and upon the day of judgement surley then that man will be taught everything.

Jesus loves me ;) This I know... For the bible tells me so.

I don't think we should be judging who is and who isn't I just think we should see the good in one another and praise it and for the bad pray for that person.
I agree brother, hence my reason for participating and allowing this thread to be a forum for unityand understanding, despite the title.

Well I voted no. I think JW's are lobtomised lizards from the planet Ogrododok. No offence intended!

tao

That is your belief system Q, I accept an am ok that that is the way you believe. But there are a number of Christians who follow Christ and beleive in G!d but not the trinity.

I find it interesting how during all the numerous trinitarian arguments/discussions on this board folks don't actually respond to mee's points individually. They avoid the scripture and interpretation that don't fit their paradigm and move on to one that does. (just as mee does, just as we all do, the funny thing is how we point fingers)

Some folks would say worshipping/praying to Mary or Saints or wearing, carving idols is non christian...the argument continues until we can learn to respect others beliefs and ways of worship.

I believe Jesus would be a whole lot more encompassing and compassionate than his followers. (generalization)

right, wrong, opinionated dualism is all, guess one day we will all find out....or not.
Nice run on the Catholic Christian take on faith. However, we don't believe in praying to Mary, the saints, or anyone else but God.

And I have directly responded to Mee's points, but so conveniently have been ignored by the same...no matter.

"A shepherd leaves the 99 to find the wayward sheep." Jesus spoke this parable about Jews (flock) and Gentiles (wayward). There is a similar comparison in Isaiah 53. Lets says the 99 correspond with the lamb led to the slaughter, counterpointed by the sheep who are wayward. The 99 feel abandonded but really are not. They are left for the sake of us Gentiles. Of these lambs, Jesus is the chief lamb and unblemished, upon whom all of our iniquities were laid. The 99 are also the wise of Daniel 11:33, since they were made wise by the "statutes of the LORD"(Psa 19:7) yet they fell in order to be refined. In the sense of the opening question: I suspect some JW's are Christians and some aren't, just like in every other church.
Isa 53:6-7 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter,...

Daniel 11:33-35 And those among the people who are wise shall make many understand, though they shall fall by sword and flame, by captivity and plunder, for some days....and some of those who are wise shall fall, to refine and to cleanse them and to make them white, until the time of the end, for it is yet for the time appointed.

James 3:10-13 From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brethren, this ought not to be so....Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good life let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom.

Are you kidding? This is how Jesus said Christians would be recognized:
John 13:34-35
34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Sectarian tests are not how you separate Christ's disciples from the non-disciples, according to Jesus....

My policy is this. If a person accepts me as a Christian, I accept him also. If a person rejects me, I reject him too. I know it sounds like tit-for-tat, but my reasoning is that nobody has the authority to disqualify me from the Kingdom. Only God has that authority. Anyone who dares and has the audacity to do what only God can do is not only over-reaching himself, but also exalting himself as to be so high and mighty as to say he can damn me. I say damn him too!

People have to know their place in the cosmos. God never gave a license to "other Christians" to damn each other. It is like in Jude 6 where it talks about "the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home." It is like Lucifer trying to play God.

Such a person is not welcome IMHO. It is not I, but the other person who starts it, so I cannot be at fault. To rain down hellfire on another without proper provocation to me is a serious crime that God will not tolerate. I say that because I would gladly accept as Christian anyone regardless of their background. That is, until they point the finger at me. When that happens, what I see in their eyes is Lucifer, Satan, the prosecutor, the accuser.

What I am saying is, these hellfire-and-brimstone teachers are not the ones choosing who goes to hell. They are the ones to go to hell. They were like Lucifer, thinking they were so smart, high, mighty and powerful. Like the angels who left their stations in the cosmos, these preachers did not stay within their designated places in the cosmos. They started preaching and asserting their misplaced authority, deciding, as if they were God, who could go to heaven and hell. They are terrorists like Osama bin Laden. They do what in God's eyes is evil. They think, like Osama bin Laden that what they do is for a noble cause. I say, they can go and live with the virgins and beautiful girls in heaven and indulge in their immoral pleasures 24/7. These are the real criminals. They are the Osama bin Laden's, the terrorists of Christianity.

If you ever wondered what the book of Jude and 2 Peter 2 was about, my impression is it's about hellfire preachers.

Yes, I can accept JWs as Christian. But only on a case-by-case basis. Individually. I accept individuals one-by-one, not whole collectives. Who knows, there might be some hellfire preachers in a congregation. You never know. Say to me individually, "I accept you" and I will accept you too because you are not like the hellfire-and-brimstone teachers who think they have the authority to damn me.

Again, I say, to anyone who rejects me, go and live with Osama bin Laden and the virgins in heaven.

I do ascribe to a code on this. It's not based on denomination or creed. It's based on their attitude towards me and others.

Are they Christian ?

Jehovahs Witnesses

Definition:

The worldwide CHRISTIAN Society of people who actively bear witness regarding Jehovah God and his purposes affecting mankind.

They base their beliefs solely on the Bible.

What beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses set them apart as different from other religions?

(1) Bible: Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that the entire Bible is the inspired Word of God, and instead of adhering to a creed based on human tradition, they hold to the Bible as the standard for all their beliefs.

(2) God: They worship Jehovah as the only true God and freely speak to others about him and his loving purposes toward mankind. Anyone who publicly witnesses about Jehovah is usually identified as belonging to the one group—"Jehovah’s Witnesses."

(3 )Jesus Christ: They believe, not that Jesus Christ is part of a Trinity, but that, as the Bible says, he is the Son of God, the first of God’s creations; that he had a prehuman existence and that his life was transferred from heaven to the womb of a virgin, Mary; that his perfect human life laid down in sacrifice makes possible salvation to eternal life for those who exercise faith; that Christ is actively ruling as King, with God-given authority over all the earth since 1914.

(4) God’s Kingdom: They believe that God’s Kingdom is the only hope for mankind; that it is a real government; that it will soon destroy the present wicked system of things, including all human governments, and that it will produce a new system in which righteousness will prevail.

(5)Heavenly life: They believe that 144,000 spirit-anointed Christians will share with Christ in his heavenly Kingdom, ruling as kings with him. They do not believe that heaven is the reward for everyone who is "good."

(6)The earth: They believe that God’s original purpose for the earth will be fulfilled; that the earth will be completely populated by worshipers of Jehovah and that these will be able to enjoy eternal life in human perfection; that even the dead will be raised to an opportunity to share in these blessings.

(7) Death: They believe that the dead are conscious of absolutely nothing; that they are experiencing neither pain nor pleasure in some spirit realm; that they do not exist except in God’s memory, so hope for their future life lies in a resurrection from the dead.

(8)Last days: They believe that we are living now, since 1914, in the last days of this wicked system of things; that lovers of righteousness will survive into a cleansed earth.

(9)Separate from the world: They earnestly endeavor to be no part of the world, as Jesus said would be true of his followers. They show genuine Christian love for their neighbors, but they do not share in the politics or the wars of any nation. They provide for the material needs of their families but shun the world’s avid pursuit of material things and personal fame and its excessive indulgence in pleasure.

(10)Apply Bible counsel: They believe that it is important to apply the counsel of God’s Word in everyday life now—at home, in school, in business, in their congregation. Regardless of a person’s past way of life, he may become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses if he abandons practices condemned by God’s Word and applies its godly counsel. But if anyone thereafter makes a PRACTICEof adultery, fornication, homosexuality, drug abuse, drunkenness, lying, or stealing, he will be disfellowshipped from the organization.

The above list briefly states some outstanding beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses , so in answer to the question are Jehovahs Witnesses christians YES THEY ARE :)

Anyone who dares and has the audacity to do what only God can do is not only over-reaching himself, but also exalting himself as to be so high and mighty as to say he can damn me. I say damn him too!

nobody has the authority to disqualify me from the Kingdom. Only God has that authority.

Your reasoning seems hypocritical and self defeating....

Oh this man has wronged me!! what an awful man he is, who does he think he is? He -thinks- he is a christian with behaviour like that! What a joke! what a terrible man!! Ok... I am now going to wrong him back....

What is the difference? You become that which you dislike in others, that is just a sad vicious circle.... Raise prayers and forgiveness of that person to god, set an example, show him how to walk, "turn the other cheek"... That is humble ol' me's opinion... *shrugg*

Who are we to decide! This forum seems to be turning into a witch hunt in some areas. "Take people for what they are" is a basic Christian quality isn't it!

There are "Christians" who go to church within the big denominations who are called "Chrstians" but some are "bad Christians" and believe in heretical stuff but would never admit it! There are loads! At least JW have the balls to say what they believe publicy, instead of living a lie or going to church, just cause they feel they ought to for the wrong reasons.
There is no such thing as a perfect "Christian" in my opinion. People can strive to be a better person etc but one will never be a perfect Christian. He has already been:)

Are they Christian ?

Why does it matter!

Not a bad thing in my book ... at least the term would have some meaning, whereas today its relatively meaningless... or it means anything anyone fancies.

To me a baseline would be to believe and hold to the same things that the people who were first called 'Christians' (Antioch, 1st century AD) believe in and held to.

Thomas

Therefore they do not believe in what the Church believed in for nearly 2,000 years (I think the Reformation churches do not deny the Trinity).

So it's not Q's belief system that in question, it's the belief that anyone can declare he or she has the individual right to determine what Christianity is.

I find it interesting how during all the numerous trinitarian arguments/discussions on this board folks don't actually respond to mee's points individually.
I have. on more than one occasion.

They avoid the scripture and interpretation that don't fit their paradigm and move on to one that does. (just as mee does, just as we all do, the funny thing is how we point fingers)
Not quite. One must admit the JWs produced a 'translation' of Scripture that has been universally condemned by scholars as execrable, and they produced it specifically to distort the message to support the position they had taken. They then accuse everyone else of just the thing that they have done.

It also continues until people get over their prejudices and/or make serious inquiry into the truth of things, and not simply spout propaganda.

Thomas

Back