Identifying ...Babylon the great

M

mee

THE book of Revelation contains expressions that are not to be understood literally. (Revelation 1:1)

For example, it mentions a woman with the name "Babylon the Great" written on her forehead.

This woman is said to be sitting on "crowds and nations." (Revelation 17:1, 5, 15)

Since no literal woman could do this, Babylon the Great must be symbolic.

So, what does this symbolic harlot represent?

At Revelation 17:18, the same figurative woman is described as "the great city that has a kingdom over the kings of the earth."

The term "city" indicates an organized group of people.

Since this "great city" has control over "the kings of the earth," the woman named Babylon the Great must be an influential organization that is international in scope.

It can rightly be called a world empire. What kind of empire?
A RELIGIOUS ONE

shall we see and Notice how some related passages in the book of Revelation lead us to this conclusion.
An empire can be political, commercial, or religious.
The woman named Babylon the Great is not a political empire because God’s Word states that "the kings of the earth," or the political elements of this world, "committed fornication" with her.
Her fornication refers to the alliances she has made with the rulers of this earth and explains why she is called "the great harlot."—Revelation 17:1, 2; James 4:4.

Babylon the Great cannot be a commercial empire because the "merchants of the earth," representing the commercial elements, will be mourning her at the time of her destruction.

In fact, both kings and merchants are described as looking at Babylon the Great from "a distance." (Revelation 18:3, 9, 10, 15-17)

Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that Babylon the Great is, not a political or a commercial empire, but.
A RELIGIOUS ONE

The religious identity of Babylon the Great is further confirmed by the statement that she misleads all the nations by means of her "spiritistic practice." (Revelation 18:23)

Since all forms of spiritism are demon-inspired, it is not surprising that the Bible calls Babylon the Great "a dwelling place of demons." (Revelation 18:2; Deuteronomy 18:10-12)

This empire is also described as being actively opposed to true religion, persecuting "prophets" and "holy ones." (Revelation 18:24)

In fact, Babylon the Great has such deep hatred for true religion that she violently persecutes and even murders "the witnesses of Jesus." (Revelation 17:6)

so as we can see , this woman named Babylon the Great clearly represents
THE WORLD EMPIRE OF FALSE RELIGION which includes all religions that stand in opposition to Jehovah God.

Since this "great city" has control over "the kings of the earth," the woman named Babylon the Great must be an influential organization that is international in scope.

It can rightly be called a world empire. What kind of empire?
A RELIGIOUS ONE
I once had a strong leaning towards that point of view, but now I think there is no organization large enough, international enough, or influential enough to fully fill the shoes of that woman. She has long been thought to be none other than the traditionalists under the Papacy; but that is merely a decoy of the truth of it. Give no glory to any church group, wether positive or negative. Negatively glorifying one positively glorifies another and vice-versa.

It is comforting to be able to point the finger, making you feel safe; but it is false comfort. Cease to believe that JW's in name are JW's absolutely. They are not the ones who have been giving you spritual food, Mee. Manna is from heaven but man is of the earth. I would not take you from your people, but I still say to you and to everyone "come out of her" without making any accusation against you. My accusation is against the rulers who ought to be servants and are not, and these are everywhere even among you. When the voice from heaven says "...Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues." (Rev 18:4) It is not talking about a religious fraternity but of a mindset. She is indeed a symbol and not an organization. "...but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." (Eph 6:12) That voice is spoken to all of us who needed to hear it Mee, including Mee if Mee is one.

There is no simple threshold that you can step over with your foot that will place you in the right flock. The sheep hear his voice wherever they are and that is what makes them his sheep. It is the manna and not the man. The wheat and the tares are always together and in the parable always grow together until harvest. The mark of the Beast is upon the forehead (thoughts) and the right hand (actions) -- similar to the sign of the cross because it is the sign of fallen mankind. Were I to join the Catholics, the sign of the cross to me would be the sign of my own death with Jesus. Yes, I count Catholics as my equals and Jews too and many more over whom I have no control, some answering the call to come out and some not. (Rev 14:9) "...and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men." (Mat 16:23) Wherever you are and whatever group you associate with, "the one shall be taken, and the other left." (Luke 7:36).

I once had a strong leaning towards that point of view, but now I think there is no organization large enough, international enough, or influential enough to fully fill the shoes of that woman. quote]

make no mistake about it , THE WORLDWIDE EMPIRE OF FALSE RELIGION IS GLOBAL .
why do you think she has the name BABYLON THE GREAT, think about it

Religion.
Babylon was a most religious place.​

Evidence from excavations and from ancient texts points to the existence of more than 50 temples.

The principal god of the imperial city was Marduk, called Merodach in the Bible.

It has been suggested that Nimrod was deified as Marduk, but the opinions of scholars as to identifications of gods with specific humans vary.

Triads of deities were also prominent in the Babylonian religion.

One of these, made up of two gods and a goddess, was Sin (the moon-god), Shamash (the sun-god), and Ishtar; these were said to be the rulers of the zodiac.

And still another triad was composed of the devils Labartu, Labasu, and Akhkhazu.

Idolatry was everywhere in evidence. Babylon was indeed "a land of graven images," filthy "dungy idols."—Jer 50:1, 2, 38.

The Babylonians believed in the immortality of the human soul.—The Religion of Babylonia and Assyria, by M. Jastrow, Jr., 1898, p. 556.

no change there then:D

The Babylonians developed astrology in an effort to discover man’s future in the stars.

Magic, sorcery, and astrology played a prominent part in their religion. (Isa 47:12, 13; Da 2:27; 4:7)

Many heavenly bodies, for example, planets, were named after Babylonian gods.

Divination continued to be a basic component of Babylonian religion in the days of Nebuchadnezzar, who used it to reach decisions.—Eze 21:20-22

Ancient Babylon has ceased to exist.

Yet God speaks of another Babylon called "Babylon the Great." And again he gives the command: "Get out of her, my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues." (Revelation 18:4)

Jehovahs people are out , and they have allowed the most high JEHOVAH to take them in

It was shortly after the global flood of Noah’s day that false religion got its start in Babylon, where Nimrod exalted himself "in opposition to Jehovah."

However, Jehovah confused the people’s language and "scattered them from there over all the surface of the earth." As they went, they took with them their Babylonish doctrines and practices. (Genesis 10:8-10; 11:4-9)

In harmony with this, the book The Religion of Babylonia and Assyria (by Professor Morris Jastrow, page 701) tells of "the profound impression made upon the ancient world by the remarkable manifestations of religious thought in Babylonia and by the religious activity that prevailed in that region."

although many persons are unaware of it, there are many doctrines and practices found in religions throughout the earth today that have a common origin in Babylon’s false religion.

YES SHE IS GREAT INDEED . and she is certainly large enough

I once had a strong leaning towards that point of view, but now I think there is no organization large enough, international enough, or influential enough to fully fill the shoes of that woman.

make no mistake about it , THE WORLDWIDE EMPIRE OF FALSE RELIGION IS GLOBAL .
why do you think she has the name BABYLON THE GREAT, think about it

Religion.
Babylon was a most religious place.​

Evidence from excavations and from ancient texts points to the existence of more than 50 temples.

The principal god of the imperial city was Marduk, called Merodach in the Bible.

It has been suggested that Nimrod was deified as Marduk, but the opinions of scholars as to identifications of gods with specific humans vary.

Triads of deities were also prominent in the Babylonian religion.

One of these, made up of two gods and a goddess, was Sin (the moon-god), Shamash (the sun-god), and Ishtar; these were said to be the rulers of the zodiac.

And still another triad was composed of the devils Labartu, Labasu, and Akhkhazu.

Idolatry was everywhere in evidence. Babylon was indeed "a land of graven images," filthy "dungy idols."—Jer 50:1, 2, 38.

The Babylonians believed in the immortality of the human soul.—The Religion of Babylonia and Assyria, by M. Jastrow, Jr., 1898, p. 556.

no change there then:D

The Babylonians developed astrology in an effort to discover man’s future in the stars.

Magic, sorcery, and astrology played a prominent part in their religion. (Isa 47:12, 13; Da 2:27; 4:7)

Many heavenly bodies, for example, planets, were named after Babylonian gods.

Divination continued to be a basic component of Babylonian religion in the days of Nebuchadnezzar, who used it to reach decisions.—Eze 21:20-22

Ancient Babylon has ceased to exist.

Yet God speaks of another Babylon called "Babylon the Great." And again he gives the command: "Get out of her, my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues." (Revelation 18:4)

Jehovahs people are out , and they have allowed the most high JEHOVAH to take them in

It was shortly after the global flood of Noah’s day that false religion got its start in Babylon, where Nimrod exalted himself "in opposition to Jehovah."

However, Jehovah confused the people’s language and "scattered them from there over all the surface of the earth." As they went, they took with them their Babylonish doctrines and practices. (Genesis 10:8-10; 11:4-9)

In harmony with this, the book The Religion of Babylonia and Assyria (by Professor Morris Jastrow, page 701) tells of "the profound impression made upon the ancient world by the remarkable manifestations of religious thought in Babylonia and by the religious activity that prevailed in that region."

although many persons are unaware of it, there are many doctrines and practices found in religions throughout the earth today that have a common origin in Babylon’s false religion.

YES SHE IS GREAT INDEED . and she is certainly large enough

Hmm...is Babylon the Great associated with the "Man of Lawlessness?"
2 Thessalonians 2

... for some xtians, the whore of babylon is the church itself, the holy church of Rome...

it is true the kings of the earth fornicated with her, for their own ends... she is the great harlot for she lies down with them all... for money, for status, for power...

however, Mee, I cannot agree with you when you say that "all forms of spiritism are demon-inspired"...

remember the stories of Jesus? Remember Lazarus?
If Jesus did raise him from the dead, then how did he do this?

Spirits, souls, consciousnesses that have "gone on" or "passed over" are not evil, and demon-inspired...

aw...

thats harsh...

Greymare said:
Im sorry but to me, Babylon the great could be changed to "insert name of despised religion here...". Pick one, ....
Exactly. Pick a group and tell me what makes them Babylon, and I can probably find other groups have the same Babyl-onian features. Do you think it is the doctrine of infallibility? I know of 6 off the top of my head that have that in one form or another. Is it inefficient use of funds? 100,000. Dark secrets? 400,000. Choose your criteria and "insert name of despised religion here..."

mee, are you really suggesting that the text of Revelations, with a believed composition date of late in the first century, was intentionally covering a meaning that contemporary readers of the time would never have been able to understand or associate with?

so as we can see , this woman named Babylon the Great clearly represents
THE WORLD EMPIRE OF FALSE RELIGION which includes all religions that stand in opposition to Jehovah God.
You first have to define the world "religion". According to one definition, Science is a religion... According to another, some political ideologies of today can also be considered religious in nature. The hint that this system is functional throughout the world, well, if we ask the question which system of beliefs and practices is uniformly applied throughout the world today, it is the eco/political market materialism that permeates every society in every continent today. This I believe, is the real "anti-christ" that the Jews, Christians and Muslims have been expecting ... the only difference is, there are no more Messiahs... No one is going to come and clean up our mess. We were already given all the warnings we needed, we still drifted astray... The world has sold its soul... and there are no more U-turns. The only thing to await now is The Hour... Judgement Day

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of "Spiritus Mundi"
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
[/FONT]

[FONT=Monotype Corsiva, cursive]-[/FONT]
[FONT=Monotype Corsiva, cursive]- William Butler Yeats, "The Second Coming"[/FONT]

Well, although the girl in my avatar, Tsai Luan, does have scarlet and purple in her garments, and she is sitting next to (not riding) a scarlet-colored beast (a tiger,) it's not her! :eek:
-source-

Hmm...is Babylon the Great associated with the "Man of Lawlessness?"​

the man of lawlessness is certainly a counterfeit religious system and
The apostasy started in the apostle Paul’s day.
and it has certainly exalted itself into a ruling position over the "Christian" congregation ,and it has been revealed.
and yes ,it has a great part in babylon the great

Im sorry but to me, Babylon the great could be changed to "insert name of despised religion here...". Pick one, ....

babylon the great is not just one religion , it is many false religions, and it is worldwide.
But the man of lawlessness has a very big part to play in babylon the great. And the man of lawlessness is certainly a big counterfeit

Well, although the girl in my avatar, Tsai Luan, does have scarlet and purple in her garments, and she is sitting next to (not riding) a scarlet-colored beast (a tiger,) it's not her! :eek:
-source-
:) true , your woman is not the the woman called BABYLON THE GREAT .:)

the woman in the book of revelation is more like this

In Revelation 17:3-5, Babylon the Great is described as a woman arrayed in purple and scarlet, richly adorned, and sitting upon a scarlet-colored wild beast having seven heads and ten horns.
Upon her forehead a name is written, "a mystery: ‘Babylon the Great, the mother of the harlots and of the disgusting things of the earth.’" She is also depicted as sitting on "many waters" representing "peoples and crowds and nations and tongues."—Re 17:1-15.

and very shortly now, that seven headed beast that she is riding will turn on her in a big way and it will completley devastate her

Comparing 2 Thess 2, with the 'mystery of lawlessness,' and Rev 17, with the 'mystery of Babylon the Great,' I see some possible parallels. Is Babylon the Great ( And the woman whom you saw is that great city which reigns over the kings of the earth.”-Rev 17:18) the one who restrains the man of lawlessness, (2 Thess 2:7,) and is the man of lawlessness part of the beast that Babylon the Great rides? The man of lawlessness is sent strong delusion and will believe what is false. (2 Thess 2:11) The ten horns of the beast will hate Babylon the Great, and destroy her. (Rev 17:16)

I don't know. It's interesting to ponder, though. It's clear that this delusion written about will apply to those who don't love the truth, but enjoy unrighteousness instead. (2 Thess 2:10-12)

17:18) the one who restrains the man of lawlessness, (2 Thess 2:7,)

quote]
after the last of the apostles died off the restraining influence was not there any more ,and the apostacy started .
and people got to believing the lies . but now the man of lawlessness is revealed.

I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among YOU and will not treat the flock with tenderness, and from among YOU yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.

acts 20;29 that man of lawlessness is full of twisted things

For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled;

2 tim 4;3

once the last of the apostles were dead, the healthful teachings went out the door .

lawlessness indeed

Back