Hello

Postmaster

Reaction score
It’s been a while since I posted on this forum. Just thought Id say hey to everyone. Just moved to Cyprus for good been here 2 months. I live in full view of the Hala Sultan Tekke that’s situated in the Larnaca salt lake. The salt lake also holds a story about Saint Lazarus one of Jesus close friends whose tomb is 5 mins away. After he was bought back to life he came to Cyprus to spread the word about Jesus and as he was walking to town he was passing a vine field. He asked the owner if he could take a grape because he was thirsty, she refused to give him one and he told her that her vine field would turn to salt. As local folklore as it.

Such a nice fellow. Turned the area to salt for thousands of years because one woman refused him a grape.

Namaste PM hope to see you around more...

Still contemplating, what a Christian thing to do, what a saintly response, turning the other cheek, loving your enemy...who did you say was his friend? Must not have got much out of that second chance...

Thanks for the welcome. It’s just folklore though I doubt it happened. I remember when my Dad first told me when I was young I was disappointed with the saint’s behaviour. Theres another salt lake in Cyprus so they must be natural to the island's geography. (It draws immigration of Flamingos every winter to it too). It’s also the third most important site of Islam (according to wikipedia). Arab invaders had a brief occupation before being kicked out by the Venticians and amongst the Arabs was Mohammed’s Aunty or wet feeder that died in an accident by falling off her horse and was buried at the Hala Sultan Tekke.

Such a nice fellow. Turned the area to salt for thousands of years because one woman refused him a grape.

Still contemplating, what a Christian thing to do, what a saintly response, turning the other cheek, loving your enemy...who did you say was his friend? Must not have got much out of that second chance...

Yeah, I agree, wil. Saint Lazarus. What an ass.

:D :)

Puts me in mind of the whole Bible/Revelation fiasco. Let me summarize for you. Please bear in mind that I am using an artistic license and, at least for the New Testament, engaging in some revisionary antics in light of the behavior of contemporary christians:

OT: Gawd is a Jealous Gawd and Thou Must Smite and Rape and Burn and Destroy and Murder all of Thy Gawd's Enemies!! (and if some section of the not-Promised Land needs to be turned to salt for a gazillion years, so be it!! 'Tis the will of Thy Gawd!!)

NT: "Jesus loves me this I know," so sing the redeemed masses, hugging each other in candlelight vigils and weeping over the poor Son of Gawd's sacrifice. On Sundays, they will eat coffee cake together and gossip in between sprinklings of bible verses.

Revelation: The Jealous Gawd is back, and this time he brought along Vengeful Uber Jesus, the Four Horsemen, and a Host of Plagues and Nastiness, all of which will be unleashed on the whole of humanity, except for the groveling chosen few, who will then be patted on the head as they are whisked of to heaven via Saint Lazarus's Cadillac of Heavenly Transport. One in heaven, Gawd will cause them to sing boring hymns and listen to him preach, and in His interminable sermons he will tell them that they are "meek." This will lead to much smug self-congratulation, high-fives, and many friendly games of tag football. As a bonus, a live-feed from Hell will be televised 24/7 in the Romper Room in heaven, where the exhausted redeemed tag football players will be able to relax as they watch their neighbors, enemies, and children roast eternally on spits over raging painful flames. Barbecue sandwiches will be served.

Yay Team Jesus!!!

Okay, I'm done now. :D

Yeah, I agree, wil. Saint Lazarus. What an ass.

:D :)

Puts me in mind of the whole Bible/Revelation fiasco. Let me summarize for you. Please bear in mind that I am using an artistic license and, at least for the New Testament, engaging in some revisionary antics in light of the behavior of contemporary christians:

OT: Gawd is a Jealous Gawd and Thou Must Smite and Rape and Burn and Destroy and Murder all of Thy Gawd's Enemies!! (and if some section of the not-Promised Land needs to be turned to salt for a gazillion years, so be it!! 'Tis the will of Thy Gawd!!)

NT: "Jesus loves me this I know," so sing the redeemed masses, hugging each other in candlelight vigils and weeping over the poor Son of Gawd's sacrifice. On Sundays, they will eat coffee cake together and gossip in between sprinklings of bible verses.

Revelation: The Jealous Gawd is back, and this time he brought along Vengeful Uber Jesus, the Four Horsemen, and a Host of Plagues and Nastiness, all of which will be unleashed on the whole of humanity, except for the groveling chosen few, who will then be patted on the head as they are whisked of to heaven via Saint Lazarus's Cadillac of Heavenly Transport. One in heaven, Gawd will cause them to sing boring hymns and listen to him preach, and in His interminable sermons he will tell them that they are "meek." This will lead to much smug self-congratulation, high-fives, and many friendly games of tag football. As a bonus, a live-feed from Hell will be televised 24/7 in the Romper Room in heaven, where the exhausted redeemed tag football players will be able to relax as they watch their neighbors, enemies, and children roast eternally on spits over raging painful flames. Barbecue sandwiches will be served.

Yay Team Jesus!!!

Okay, I'm done now. :D

Yo ho ho from Saint Nick

OK so we have a contradiction and it clearly doesn't make sense so why write something anyone reading it cannot justify through our normal associative thought?

When a contradiction is impossible to resolve except by a lie, then we know that it is really a door. Simone Weil

Perhaps the contradiction is intentional for those willing to ponder it as a door.

Yo ho ho from Saint Nick

OK so we have a contradiction and it clearly doesn't make sense so why write something anyone reading it cannot justify through our normal associative thought?

Contradiction? Heh? How? What? Where? When?

Is the contradiction mine? Or is it in the development and practice of "christianity," so-called. I would agree with you that there is a contradiction between the teachings of the one called "Christ" and that of the churches that have co-opted that name for their own political agendas.
Saint Nick A said:
Perhaps the contradiction is intentional for those willing to ponder it as a door.

Uh... maybe. :confused:

And now, Postmaster, master of Cypriot folklore--or if not master, certainly closer to the source than me with my dull wikipedia entries--ever heard of a Kallikantzaros? Some kind of goblin critter, said to be busy sawing at the roots of the world tree, but gets distracted during Christmastime when it can come up from underground to create mischief, havoc, and trouble for humans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kallikantzaroi

Just curious. Doing some folklore studies myself.

:)

Back