Women covering heads?

Gavriel

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of study on Corinthians 11 and i have seen the passage interpreted as women must cover their heads and that a woman's long hair is cover enough. What do you think the passage says and do you as a woman cover your head? :rolleyes:

I've been doing a lot of study on Corinthians 11 and i have seen the passage interpreted as women must cover their heads and that a woman's long hair is cover enough. What do you think the passage says and do you as a woman cover your head? :rolleyes:
Hi, Gavriel, and welcome to IO.

I believe that one reason for women covering their heads is so that Christianity (with their sacramental wine) would not be confused with the worship of Dionysus/Bacchus. At Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit came to the Christian congregation and the Christians started speaking in different languages, observers said, "they are full of new wine." Having Christian women cover their heads would distinguish them from the cult of Dionyus/Bacchus, where the women did not cover their hair.

Paul also stressed that Christian meetings should be orderly. This would also help to distinguish Christians from those in the midst of a Bacchean frenzy.

I agree with what you have said. I also found out that the early christian women were starting to cut their hair short and go to church with hair cut shorter than the mens hair. Also Corinthian prostitutes had hair that was cut very short. So was Paul talking about an actual cloth cloth covering or was he talking about long hair?

Women being veiled was a common cultural practice at the time - statues of noble Roman ladies often display headgear, and it seems the practice was actually pretty normal across east Asia and the middle-east. I seem to recall that it continued in Europe up to around the 11th century, when for some reason it seems to have become disused.

I wouldn't be surprised if the traditional Muslim bukha is simply an extension of this practice either.

I wouldn't be surprised if the traditional Muslim bukha is simply an extension of this practice either.

It probably is since the actual verse in our scripture just tells all Muslims (men and women) to dress modestly, unlike the burkah concept which turns women into ninjas. Yea they look dangerous, but they have like no skillz.

It probably is since the actual verse in our scripture just tells all Muslims (men and women) to dress modestly, unlike the burkah concept which turns women into ninjas. Yea they look dangerous, but they have like no skillz.
Now that was funny!

i kinda stole it off this other joke i heard in a french flick

a guy walks out of a bar and sees a nun and starts beating her up
when shes half dead lying on the ground he stops and says
"pfft... thought u'd be tougher then that batman!"

There are various groups where men cover there heads to, and then groups that insist they take hats off to pray...

all so confusing.

I agree with what you have said. I also found out that the early christian women were starting to cut their hair short and go to church with hair cut shorter than the mens hair. Also Corinthian prostitutes had hair that was cut very short. So was Paul talking about an actual cloth cloth covering or was he talking about long hair?

it depends on what religion. if you ask certain mormons and pentecostals they will say the covering is long uncut hair. if you ask other pentecostals and amish, they will say both a covering and long uncut hair.

some go as far as to to mandate that women will be burned and tortured by the christian god if you cut your hair or dont wear a covering.

and if there is a covering as extra hat or cloth, and that is what is meant, he did not elaborate on the covering by any means, what kind of covering is what they argue & bicker about...a doily? or one of those white & black things nuns wear?
then there is the part about wearing it when you pray & prophesy.

in another religion like judaism they make men wear a covering even if you are not a jew and just visiting.

another one of those pointless waste of time things which is where the writer finishes saying WE HAVE NO SUCH CUSTOM -but that part always gets overlooked because there is nothing better than wearing religion on your head & fussing about it.

There are various groups where men cover there heads to, and then groups that insist they take hats off to pray...

all so confusing.

putting something on your head makes people holy as if it conducts electric. Very confusing and superstitious IMO.

Back