Infinity and G!d

dauer

Reaction score
How do you understand infinity as it relates to the Divine?

as a quickie everything was is and always will be [humans as the allegedly higher manifestation of the created/finite might not be included in this equation] o~o

I think there is nothing that doesn't have G!d... ie in time and space G!d is always there. If one were to go infinitely far in any of seven directions in space or whatever directions in time, or wherever you can in the multiverse...G!d is there.

As God is outside of time, and thus not subject to any temporal determination, so is He also outside of space, so neither is He subject to any spatial determination.

I suppose one first has to dis-associate the idea of the eternal from the idea of a long time, or everlasting time, or an everlasting moment ... and dis-associate infinity from any finite conditioning, it's not 'just' a very big space you can't see the edge of, or a quantitative ladder with no top.

The Infinite is more than an limitless quantitative determination (whereas an infinite can be, as in number).

Thomas

While generally would go along with Thomas' reply, wanted to add that my view is that this life and plane of existence is not the only one in which some aspect of what we lovingly or cursedly (depending on how one's life is going perhaps) refer to as "our" consciousness will or does exist. That is, I tend to believe that the realm often referred to as the "spiritual" realm in contradistinction to this realm of form which entails space and time ending at death-at least for the time-being-is a realm outside of time and space. Not so much infinite as non-spatial, not eternal so much as atemporal. So to the degree we want to associate God or at least the clearer or fuller awareness of God's properties with the degree to which one is drawing from the types awareness or insights which may flow more freely to consciousness on the other side of the veil as it were, one may actually view "God" in a similarly non-spatial, non-temporal manner. earl

The divine is a measure of quality while infinity is a measure of quantity. Since the whole is greater in quality than the sum of its parts, Simone Weil begins to make sense in this classic remark:

"Toujours le même infiniment petit, qui est infiniment plus que tout."
[Always the same infinitely small, which is infinitely more than all.]

Infinity to me is anything I cannot reach or that cannot be reached. Some things I cannot even visualize reaching, while others are things just out of my reach. A 20 mile walk is not infinite, because I might be able to walk that far. An ocean is an infinite distance for me to swim, because I cannot ever swim that far. We can only speculate at what happens over an infinite distance, so 'Infinity' is a useful term for that speculation. One other use of infinity is the idea of 'Not infinity'. Infinity means 'We cannot' and finite means 'We can'.

Is the divine incomprehensible because we place it at infinity, or is it infinite because it is incomprehensible? To me, the divine has to be infinite; so I should not really be able to think about it. I do think about the divine, though. I'm not saying that what I think could be accurate, but there are ways of thinking *around* infinity - like the Calculus does. It doesn't tell you everything. You just try to squeeze out every ounce of information you can get, and you get not everything but more than you started with.

Infinity to me is anything I cannot reach or that cannot be reached. Some things I cannot even visualize reaching, while others are things just out of my reach. A 20 mile walk is not infinite, because I might be able to walk that far. An ocean is an infinite distance for me to swim, because I cannot ever swim that far. We can only speculate at what happens over an infinite distance, so 'Infinity' is a useful term for that speculation.

Well struck, lad.

But when one comes into contact with the spirit, infinite is the only way to describe it.

Vast is the robe of liberation
A formless field of benefaction.

499.gif

Sorry about the jumping pig. I'm just really happy right now.

A zoom through the Mandelbrot Set would help explain my own perspective:
YouTube - Mandelbrot Set Zoom

Anything that can be observed, comprehended, thought of, imagined - whether the universe, love, time, life, heaven, etc - are each merely a small piece of the set in any plane, with far more outside and around it, above and below, in each dimension.

And yet, they all fall within a pattern, one that seems both conscious and loving - that is what the Mandelbrot Set illustrate in this poor example - an infinite whole of which all things are part.

We are all part of the universe experiencing itself, and the universe is simply part of something far greater, infinite.

2c.

Infinity to me is anything I cannot reach or that cannot be reached. ...One other use of infinity is the idea of 'Not infinity'. Infinity means 'We cannot' and finite means 'We can'.

Is the divine incomprehensible because we place it at infinity, or is it infinite because it is incomprehensible? To me, the divine has to be infinite; so I should not really be able to think about it. I do think about the divine, though. I'm not saying that what I think could be accurate, but there are ways of thinking *around* infinity
Namaste Dream,

Quite interesting...a dichotomy...can't reach infinity but can reach the divine...

The idea that God can create information (new possibilities)... and keep generating these new ("New" for us, not for Him) possibilities (experiences) forever, so life (infinite afterlife) will never repeat itself.

In a short, and non-complicated way, for me:

Divine Infinity = Art, perfected...

Back