Burn the Qu'ran day?

Discussion in 'Abrahamic Religions' started by 17th Angel, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Saltmeister

Saltmeister The Dangerous Dinner

I thought the cultural relativity argument would be enough ..... obviously not.

How about I approach this from another angle? Just because Muslims in the Middle Eastern like getting angry about things like drawing Mohammed, Salman Rushdie and Quran burning, showing intolerance to Christians and making Christians into second-class citizens, does not mean the Western world should apply the same standard.

I think it's a cynical attitude to say that "we will do X because you do it in your country" or "we won't do Y because you don't do it in your country." By saying you won't respect someone because they don't respect you it makes you no better than that person. I am not suggesting you always have to be better than someone. There is a limit to what we can do. My point is that when people are capable of not offending/humiliating Muslims, they should do whatever they can to prevent Muslims from being/feeling humiliated. Freedom of speech should not go so far as allowing someone to antagonise a whole group of people.

When it comes to Christians, there is an additional perspective and way of seeing things. Jesus said "my kingdom is not of this world." This means that Christians should not concern themselves with the maintenance and integrity of the present world order, which is subject to continual and persistent change. Christians cannot rely on the present world order remaining the same. They should set their minds on the kingdom of heaven, not the kingdoms of the world.

As far as I am concerned, there are no Christian nations, and there never were any. The so-called, nominally-labelled "Christian" nations of the past were responsible for atrocities against various groups of people. Christianity is not a political system. It is not about statecraft or a state apparatus. The Western world of today is not "Christian." It is secular.

I would oppose any attempt at "Islamisation" of the political system and would like to see it remain secular for as long as possible. But calling Muslims enemies of state when they are quite capable of fitting in with a secular framework is the other extreme that I would also oppose. I would prefer to convince Muslims that a secular society benefits all of us.

No, not about you. I was speaking in third person.

I personally think it is extreme to call something "hate" when it is anger, fear or concern about worrying trends. I would like to say the same about racism, bigotry, genocide, intolerance and propaganda. Too many people use these terms when there are better ways to make their point and when they don't even bother to understand what is really happening. Too many people use these terms out of a knee-jerk reaction.

Juantoo, I have a hammer and would like to tap your knee cap to see how you respond.

Oh one more thing. Just because I disagree with someone doesn't mean I am accusing them of hatred.

Another tap of the hammer.

2. iBrian

iBrian Peace, Love and Unity Staff Member

"Whether true or not, remaining silent implies the moderates agree with the radicals."

We certainly get small news items about Muslim groups in the UK condemning violence, especially by radical Muslims. However, Muslims condemning violence is not headling grabbing news. It happens, but if there's silence, it's because the media does not consider it newsworthy.

However, after the recent furore over 9/11 building plans and the Koran Burning, I can see why some Muslims would be especially concerned to raise their heads above the trenches being built against them. The media love an easy target.

After all, a dozen terrorists attack the WTC and Pentagon, yet somehow in the American psyche this is all representative of Islam.

It's like calling the Lords Army in the Congo representative of Christianity, and declaing all Christians must be aligned with them unless they actively -in a media reported way - distance themselves from their reign of terror across West Africa.

3. 17th Angel

17th Angel לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות

It isn't just 9/11... You seriously believe so so many people (not just yanks) oppose it and any progress it attempts, just because of 9/11?

4. juantoo3

juantoo3 ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb

Are you in agreement with the others that suggested the Muslim world is barbaric?

Using a gun to solve a disagreement is logical?

You are an intelligent person. If you follow our conversation, it is easy to figure out.

"Tacit agreement," (whether true or not) is what I actually said. Look again.

Are you accusing me of hate?

Because this is a teaching moment, and a perfect time for reflection on all sides.

Are we ready yet to stop using ad hominems and false accusations of hate to avoid discussing the issues?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  5. juantoo3

Bob, you know I respect your opinion. For this I will need proof. I saw nothing in the reading I've done over the last couple of days that even hints in this direction.

6. Quahom1

Quahom1 What was the question?

Sometimes, we have to go the extra mile in order to give the king the truth, first hand...

7. juantoo3

No it wasn't and I'll tell you why. This POV implies "lower class or status." It is institutional prejudice, subtle, but there.

I'm not. I'm treating the Muslim world with respect, by demanding they live up to the standard. Looking down our first-world noses and saying in our minds, "oh you poor dears, you don't know any better" is what instills the attitude that the Muslim world is inferior. Worse, it allows them to live *down* to the expectation!

The cynicism really lies in the double standard!

With all due respect, if you are one who is critical of and has distanced from Christianity...who are you to tell a Christian what to believe?

I am a Christian, and I can agree my way of seeing Christianity and applying the lessons of Christianity are not *normative* or *officially sanctioned,* but I am just the same a long time disciple of the teachings of the Christian Bible. Among other lessons I come away with, is that Christians are *not* doormats! Tough it up!

The Muslim world doesn't see us that way.

I can agree that where the Muslim world has secular government, it appears there is considerable headway towards tolerance...and that is a good thing. The focus needs to include getting Sharia nations to see, understand and change.

When have I called Muslims "enemies of state?" There you go again, :rolleyes: , why can't this discussion ever take place without ad hominems and false accusations of hatred???

But Salty, you just got done putting words in my mouth to make me seem hateful!

I trust you, I will allow you to do so. If you hurt me, I will never allow you that opportunity again. And I might, depending how the spirit leads, do unto you what you have shown me you want done.

8. juantoo3

Is that not the fault of the leftist media?

As for "a dozen terrorists attack the WTC and Pentagon, yet somehow in the American psyche this is all representative of Islam," that too is misrepresentation by the media. People around here have bent over backwards to accommodate and be sensitive to Islamic issues...doubly so in the wake of the book burning fiasco...so that is simply incorrect.

Perhaps the media should change its focus...but as long as sensational headlines pay the bills and earn fortunes (and further state propaganda), it will never happen.

9. juantoo3

Bingo! Give that man the door prize!

10. Dogbrain

Dogbrain New Member

As I have said many times: If we are no better than they are, if we are as barbaric, savage, and animalistic as they are, then we ought to behave as they behave. However, if we are not barbarians, if we are not savages who can't be expected to know any better, then we are behooved to act in a civilized fashion. We are to hold ourselves to a higher standard because we are fundamentally better than they are. If we are not fundamentally better than they are, we are morally free to do whatever they to. It's really that simple.

Exactly! If you are fundamentally superior to that person, then you extend respect even if they don't extend it to you. Are we civilized and they savage? Then we will bear their savagery in good grace, as much as safety permits. If we are both savages, then we do what they do. If they are savages and we are civilized, then we do not do as they do.

I completely agree with this. There has never been a Christian nation in this world. There may be nations of Christians, but the only Christian Nation will come on the Day of the Lord, and not a moment sooner.

As long as possible? How about NEVER AT ALL FOR THE REST OF HISTORY, and I'll use whatever means are available to civilization to defend civilized law against the imposition of barbarity. When pushed to the wall, a civilized nation is justified in using catastrophic force to defend its existence.

If they demand Shari'a, they are enemies of civilized law.

when they are quite capable of fitting in with a secular framework is the other extreme that I would also oppose. I would prefer to convince Muslims that a secular society benefits all of us.

You're quite right, but the people (it's usually leftists) who hurl these terms around are not interested in discussion or healing. They want extermination. Thus, they dehumanize anyone who disagrees with them by hurling words like "hate", "racism", etc. They do not want understanding. They want absolute rulership and thought countrol. Otherwise, they would not use these terms so freely.

11. Dogbrain

Dogbrain New Member

As far as most people who go into the media are concerned, the American people would probably best serve the world by committing mass suicide. "Why should I talk to people in flyover country? I already know what they think, and they don't have anything worthwhile to say." Yes, I heard crap like that while I worked at Cornell University.

12. Dogbrain

Dogbrain New Member

You mean, it's like calling some fringe idiot minister in Florida representative of Christianity and declaring that all Christians must be aligned with him unless they actively -in a media reported way - distance themselves from his stupid antics.

If I fail to track down and publicly denounce any and all stupid Christian tricks, I am deemed to be complicit in them. I've seen that over and over on this very forum, and elsewhere.

However, no moderator comes down on that, it's only the Muslims who get special protection from moderators.

13. c0de

c0de Vassal

It's a tough neighborhood, but your use of the word "barbaric" goes beyond the limits of polite discourse (and clearly contradicts your own stated aims of "teaching" and "reflection" without the use of ad hominems)

???

What gun am I holding to your head?

I asked you to show me where is the logic in the statement that you made.

"silence = complicity" Where is the logic here?

Tacit agreement = complicity.

Now, explain your statement in terms that do not equal

"with us or against us"

I don't have to bother, you're statements on this thread are enough.

As long as you are the one doing the teaching (from the point of view of "innocent" America) and the rest of the world listens to your diatribe (which completely ignores all sense of history) right?

14. bob x

bob x New Member

Then apparently you are only reading very biased sources.
    From this short bio of Rauf: "Feisal Abdul Rauf was dispatched on speaking tours by the past State Department on multiple occasions to help promote tolerance and religious diversity in the Arab and Muslim world. In 2007, he went to Morocco, the UAE, Qatar and Egypt on such missions, a State Department official confirmed to the Huffington Post.
    In February 2006, meanwhile, he took part in a U.S.-Islamic World Forum in Doha, Qatar with Undersecretary of State Karen Hughes, a close adviser to President Bush."

15. juantoo3

Clearly you have no intent of addressing issues, you are too full of avoidance.

Clearly you cannot read, either that or cannot comprehend what you read. You have implied Muslims (at least some) are barbaric, as have others here. It is I who have defended them against being considered barbaric. It is lies such as yours that perpetuate these matters instead of trying to find ways to work through them. Typical behavior for someone who has nothing constructive to contribute. Our conversation is concluded.

16. juantoo3

They sure don't seem to mind the handouts, or the disaster assistance, or food giveaways, or military aid and support, or financial assistance, or medical assistance, or technology, or ...

Yes, the world would be so much better off without America, :rolleyes:

But you are correct...Americans *do* have an attitude of superiority about them, an attitude that is an obstacle to actually communicating with other cultures on an elemental level.

It certainly doesn't help when other cultures have similar attitudes, and then arm their own kooks with automatic weapons.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  17. juantoo3

Just mainstream media...they couldn't possibly be biased in any way, could they?
    Thank you Bob, that goes far.

18. c0de

c0de Vassal

So much for your claim to be avoiding ad hominems.
    +
    You have failed to answer the objections.

Technically, both of these together mean you have
    already lost this argument. But, I'll ask you again:

+

What happened to the "bring it" attitude?
    Can you answer or not?

By admitting that Muslims have a lot of problems in their societies, I am lying? On the other hand, you're the one who has been carrying on lecturing us as if you're side is morally superior.

In other words, you have sounded a retreat.

See ya.

(well, at least this time you managed to control yourself
    enough to not abuse your moderating privilleges and
    attempt to lock the thread, like last time. I'd say you're
    making progress. Good for you.)

19. Paladin

Paladin Purchased Bewilderment

Perhaps...but one day you and I shall dance THE MAMUSHKA!

20. Dogbrain

Dogbrain New Member

Gee, could it be that the world continuing to run to the USA for handouts, disaster assistance, food giveaways, military aid and support, financial assistance, etc. might have something to do with that?