Sexuality and Religion

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by Zenda71, Jul 23, 2004.

1. greymare

greymare New Member

"he's not the messiah, he's just a very naughty boy!!!" (monty python...)

2. Saltmeister

Saltmeister The Dangerous Dinner

I was thinking of Casanova.:D

3. Tao_Equus

Tao_Equus Interfaith Forums

Theres no place like home :)

4. Muslimwoman

Muslimwoman Coexistence insha'Allah

Life of Brian, I just watched it again a few day ago - so, so funny.

5. greymare

greymare New Member

The humour is fantastic even my boys get it. also mw check out Young Frankenstein - gene wilder. The funniiest movie ever.

love grey

6. Muslimwoman

Seen it, love it. Gene Wilder is one of my fav's, just really 'get' his sense of humor.

7. 17th Angel

17th Angel לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות

After 15 years or so it gets old.....

I'll vouch for that.. *bows humbly as the words "Gene Wilder" are spoken... A god amongst men....*

8. Muslimwoman

That is the good thing about living overseas 17th, you don't get to see films for a few years so it is such fun catching up when you come home. :D

9. China Cat Sunflower

China Cat Sunflower Nimrod

Actually, Life of Brian is better than 25 years old. I saw it in the theater when it first came out. There were these old Catholic women kneeling on the sidewalk outside the theater saying Hail Mary's and begging people for the sake of their eternal soul not to see it.

Chris

10. Muslimwoman

Yes Chris, some people have a problem with looking at the funny side of faith but let's be honest there is little in life so worthy of a comedy sketch or two and surely G-d must have a sense of humor, as we are made in his image.

11. greymare

greymare New Member

applause applause

12. flowperson

flowperson Oannes

I'll second that notion. If G-d didn't have a sense of humor...then why oh why would he/she have made life such a joke for us ?

flow....:rolleyes:

13. Pathless

Pathless Fiercely Interdependent

[​IMG]

Hehe. Sense of humor indeed. :D ;)

14. Bruce Michael

Bruce Michael New Member

Re: Sexual Asceticism

Peace Friends,
    In ancient times phallicism (also temple prostitution) was pretty much a universal religion- there are many examples which could be made. This was not just symbolic, as modern people think, but a direct connection to God was found through sex.

Solovyev says that when animals copulate they become one with their Group Spirit. With humans this experience was of Father God, and according to Barfield this is why we call it the "Father". (Leadbeater hinted at this- symbol of the Father being a circle with a dot in the middle- "uretha!" he says.)

[You might think on how the inner spheres of the Earth are connected with this- 9th sphere.]

This is also connected with the Kundalini (interesting that Kundalini Masters -such as the late Muktananda "Mukta", same as "Moksha" - in India were/are celibate.)

The Medusa is a symbol of the Kundalini entering the cranium and then appearing as snakes, also that this was becoming an unhealthy process- turning us to stone.

Anyway, you can read in Bock how the initiate Moses had to (for the future of the human race) overcome all this. It was not easy, there was a lot of backsliding as the OT recounts.

Dr. Steiner explains that our generative organs were destined to be a reflection of our higher nature. It is a microcosmic/macrocosmic thing. He bewailed the fact that folk were too facetious to talk about these things. Another reason is that they are too easily inflamed when discussing this topic.

I don't think Dr. Steiner advocated his students follow his lead in things. I don't think he ever announced he was celibate either. In fact he went out of his way to dissuade folk from slavishly following him. At one famous dinner, everyone was waiting to see what he would order. Instead of the vegetarian fare, he order wiener schnitzel!

Though he said the vegetarian diet was helpful for some, for others it would be a drag. Same thing with celibacy- for some it would be helpful for others, damaging. Now I want to quote one of his letters on this:
    -Letter to Frau Langren 1907, History and Contents of the Esoteric Section

So you see egotism can appear in many forms, and the ambition of spiritual development can be one of these. This then becomes a stumbling block on the path of occult development, and prevents a person from getting very far.

The service to humanity, performed by parents in bearing and raising children, must be matched by the student in some other "valid" service (obviously freely given), before he or she has even the right to be celibate. Otherwise this form of asceticism is just another masked form of egotism.

There is another letter which explains how our higher nature is connected with our "lower nature", but I can't find that right now.

Everyone can make their own free decision.

We can also understand our basic needs:
    -The Brothers

By working with the upper chakras we retain our freedom in waking day consciousness. The forces of the lower chakras work in the subconscious, by emphasising these before we have mastered the upper three, we become a slave to all sorts of lower impulses.
    "For every one step spiritually you must take three morally."

The "working with the chakras" does not imply that one just concentrates on points, but that one actually acquires the relevant virtues. Again, the direct concentration on the lower chakras is to be avoided. Of course, the Brothers of the Left would advise you to place your concentration on the lower lotus flowers.

These types are easily spotted by their pompous egotism and cold reptilian natures.

-Br.Bruce

15. Pathless

Pathless Fiercely Interdependent

Interesting post, Brother Bruce, and one that needs a couple of readings to fully digest its heady material. ;)

Author and sex-positive activist Carol Queen writes about a modern resurgence of sacred sexuality in her essay "On Stage with Annie," for those of us interested in such things. :) ;)

Peace,
    Pathless

16. Bruce Michael

Bruce Michael New Member

Greetings Pathless,
    There are a few little hints in there that could be taken further.
    Hargrave Jennings wrote some books on the subject from an historical perspective.

For information on how and why this is now decadent I always suggest "Moses" by Emil Bock. In ancient times the link between sex and religion was par for the course, but there came a time when its use in this way could only lead to error and illness -mental and bodily.

Rudolf Steiner always suggested working with the upper chakras only- the root of the nose, throat and heart. This is referred to as seizing the the snake by the head rather than the tail and leads to a free development.

It is not asceticism however, it is just that one doesn't access the spiritual by the use of bodily forces such as sex, breathing and narcotics. It is true that in the early days Dr.Steiner did recommend breathing exercises to some of his pupils, but he preferred that breathing altered itself naturally.
    All of the above however, does not discount the sacredness of sex.

Here Peter Koenig's explanation from his site:
    Rudolf Steiner: Never a member of any Ordo Templi Orientis

Development and empowerment are one thing, but health should not be overlooked.

Blavatsky also denounced these practices. It was rumoured that the learned Hindu FTS, Subba Row died as a result of tantric practices.

-Br. Bruce