The Ark of the Covenant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep looking at this thread and thinking about your original question .... it seems to me that the discovery of the ark of the covenant is necessary to enter the promised land and the secret of conquering the land is through spiritual power, not military means or some special expedition .... only its image could be displayed in a museum (a public one) not the actual ark, and it will indeed be a "great discovery" but it will be private and not public .... I pray that the Jewish opinion will be great joy because the Torah holds the keys to its discovery .... these are my thoughts on the question .... he hawai'i au, poh

absolutely

to my knowledge, what was in the ark was:

a) the second set of stone tablets
b) the first, broken set of stone tablets
c) the original manuscript of the Torah as written down by moses

some also say:

d) the rod of aaron (or could be moses, can't remember)
e) a portion of manna

an important thing to note about the "raiders" film - they have the carrying poles along the *long* sides, whereas they were actually along the *short* sides, not as shown.

the scriptures do not speak of the return of the ark, but it can be deduced from the necessity of rebuilding the Temple (insha'Allah this can be achieved without damage to the dome of the rock and the al-aqsa mosque, but we have another tradition that could possibly allow for this) - there are various traditions, jewish, non-jewish a which speak of where the ark is now, including:

a) a jewish tradition that the ark is hidden somewhere beneath the Temple Mount itself, which is why everyone is so sensitive about excavations by either the israeli architectectural authority or the waqf - religious jews are scared in case something gets damaged or stolen and muslims are scared as they see it as some sort of plot to undermine the haram as-sharif, which, incidentally, it would make absolutely no sort of sense to do as it is our holiest site! conspiracy theorists love to whip up misunderstandings about this, unfortunately.

b) a jewish tradition that the ark is hidden somewhere in the judean desert; there are certain people who claim that it has been located by the mequbalim (the inner circle of the sages of the mystical schools) and will be revealed at the appropriate time. i personally doubt this, because of the sources concerned.

c) a non-jewish tradition that the ark is in axum or somewhere else in ethiopia. this is a very old tradition and is believed by the ethiopian church and a few archaeologists. certainly they have something, but as nobody's allowed to see it it's very hard to tell.

d) a general belief by many that it is somehow hidden away in the vatican (along with the treasures looted by the romans from the destruction of the second Temple, but as the ark went missing before the second Temple was built, it is hard to see how this occurred)

there are other theories, from the unusual to the absolutely bonkers, but these are the main ones.

b'shalom

bananabrain

What about the ark being a literal body of a woman ? Anything in jewish studies about that your aware of?

What about the plates inside with two one archangel and his archeia in a compromising position that were said to be in the ark on a plate?

What about the ark being a literal body of a woman ? Anything in jewish studies about that your aware of?
no. that sounds like it's straight out of dan brown, sorry, baigent and leigh, like you're confusing it with the da vinci code.

What about the plates inside with two one archangel and his archeia in a compromising position that were said to be in the ark on a plate?
that is actually about the keruvim on top of the ark themselves; they are *not* small chubby children with wings - it's a very old talmudic source for that.

b'shalom

bananabrain

no. that sounds like it's straight out of dan brown, sorry, baigent and leigh, like you're confusing it with the da vinci code.

that is actually about the keruvim on top of the ark themselves; they are *not* small chubby children with wings - it's a very old talmudic source for that.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Do some history research on the ark itself. There were plates inside not of chubby litttle cherubs but full adult archangel and archia in a compromising positions on a stone tablet.

b'shalom

bananabrain

The divinci code was a movie. There may have been some facts but a lot of distortions in that movie.

Okay had a look. Sounds like Judgement Day to me (or is that just because my beliefs assume that's what it will be? The Quran states that on Judgement Day disputes between nations will be answered by G-d, as it says here). So where does the Ark come into it? Or am I just being a thicky?

Well I am devistated. Are you really suggesting there is no Jewish Global Conspiracy to take over and run the world? Next you'll be telling me the Jewish people don't secretly control all the western governments or secretly own all the worlds diamond mines and that it's not true the Jews themselves created the haulocaust in order to hide treasures. :eek: Don't some people have a vivid imagination. :D I once asked a Rabbi, in London, what it meant that the Jewish people where the chosen children of G-d and he said it meant you were simply chosen as the teachers of G-d's true religion. Would you agree with this statement?

Ah this story I know well, I just didn't get the sandmonkey reference. After this incident the net was down for over a week in our town "due to technical difficulties". People in the west really can't imagine what it is like having no freedom of speach and being terrified of the police state. I have decided to distribute here the governments handbook on controlling the population, sorry if it takes up too much space:

"It is incumbent on all departments of the government to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our people. This will be achieved through FEAR, state terrorism and absolute adherence to the 'no complaints policy'. Any member of the population that even whispers unhappiness with the system must be arrested, tortured and publically denounced as a liar (no actual proof is necessary). Salaam"

Of course I don't read Arabic so something may have been lost in translation. :D

It's the "mostly" that worries me. :confused: I am convinced that G-d has a sense of humour but when I say such a thing in front of my husband, to put it mildly, he doesn't see the funny side. Once during an argument I said "oh right I'll just ring G-d and tell him that shall I?", my hubby lost the plot and said that suggesting G-d has a telephone is blasphemy, I was so pleased I don't understand many arabic swear words. Never mind at least I got 3 whole days quiet solitude until he calmed down, I have noted that arabic people tend to take things very literally. :)

Salaam

There is no conspiracy to take over the world by jews. Thats stupid. They simply want to exist. Human extermination is against god. GOD is all ethnic groups as one , he is not one ethnic group. So dont you think that the fighting gets him upset....yes it does. Jews and arabs are brothers . So its not a conspiracy its childish and stupid. I say grow up.

Possibly an extremely naive question here - but if a third party claimed to have found the Ark of Covenant, and for all intents and purposes the claim seemed likely to be upheld, then what would the general effect of people of the Jewish faith?

While I appreciate there is diversity, I'm implicitly asking about whether there is a set procedure for dealing with it, and whether its "discovery" would be regarded as portentious, pointless - or even be outright unwelcome?

Would the Ark of Covenant have a role to play in moder-day Judaism, or is it simply a relic of a lost age that belongs in that time only?

Also - if secular authorities had dispensation over the Ark of the Covenant then would that be regarded as ultimately sacreligious? Would there be vehement opposition to it being displayed in a museum as a historical artifact, or is it's value strictly religious only?

Apologies for the questions - justy watched "Raiders of the Lost Ark" last night, and was curious as to the Jewish opinion that might greet a public "discovery".

Well if they find it there is a big surprise in it the true identity of who the actual physical ark is as an actual body.

There is no conspiracy to take over the world by jews. Thats stupid. They simply want to exist. Human extermination is against god. GOD is all ethnic groups as one , he is not one ethnic group. So dont you think that the fighting gets him upset....yes it does. Jews and arabs are brothers . So its not a conspiracy its childish and stupid. I say grow up.

She was making fun of people who had these ideas about Jews.

She was making fun of people who had these ideas about Jews.
I know, this is a touchy subject for me. The bible says put away childish things. Them fighting all the time is childish , dont you think?

No, I wouldn't use the word childish. Perhaps tragic.

Well to me when kids are young brothers fight but when they grow up they get along. Usually one is a bully. Thats how I look at it. Yes it is tragic. They need to stop fighting and realize they both believe in god and there is one god and hes all ethic groups as one and not happy with the arabs trying to exterminate the jews at all.

Well I think there is a difference between what the Iranian government say (if that is what they said) and what Arabs in general want.

Well I think there is a difference between what the Iranian government say (if that is what they said) and what Arabs in general want.

I agree. The government is definately immmature and barbaric and dont even know what their own scriptures mean.

They might not even care, religion is often used as a tool. But we are no longer on topic, we can start a new tread of we wish to discuss further.

LOL In keeping with the Indiana Jones theme, if it does get found.. don't look at it.

Dont believe everything you see in the movies. The ark contains plates in it. The real ark is a heavenly being sent to earth but is a woman. The ark if they find it will have evidence of this. The ark that is a literal woman is identified by miracles involving the body.

Possibly an extremely naive question here - but if a third party claimed to have found the Ark of Covenant, and for all intents and purposes the claim seemed likely to be upheld, then what would the general effect of people of the Jewish faith?

While I appreciate there is diversity, I'm implicitly asking about whether there is a set procedure for dealing with it, and whether its "discovery" would be regarded as portentious, pointless - or even be outright unwelcome?

Would the Ark of Covenant have a role to play in moder-day Judaism, or is it simply a relic of a lost age that belongs in that time only?

Also - if secular authorities had dispensation over the Ark of the Covenant then would that be regarded as ultimately sacreligious? Would there be vehement opposition to it being displayed in a museum as a historical artifact, or is it's value strictly religious only?

Apologies for the questions - justy watched "Raiders of the Lost Ark" last night, and was curious as to the Jewish opinion that might greet a public "discovery".

The center piece of your avatar should flip the opposite color as it rotates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back