Suggestions on a straightforward translation of Tao

Discussion in 'Tao' started by A Cup Of Tea, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Nick the Pilot

Nick the Pilot Well-Known Member

I see the goal of Taoism to be identical to Buddhism -- enlightenment and nirvana. Along the same train of thought, I see the two ideas of being "in the groove" or being in the here and now as techiniques to accelerate our progress along the path, not the goal itself.

2. radarmark

radarmark Quaker-in-the-Making

Kool! But, for me, the path is more important (like the search for truth is more important than truth).

3. Nick the Pilot

Nick the Pilot Well-Known Member

Enjoy the ride. But this begs the questions -- are you willing to do things to accelerate your progress along the path? Is there any reason to accelerate such progress?

4. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea An ordinary cup of tea

I like that, it's what speaks to me.

5. Snoopy

Snoopy Active Member

The place I really have to get to is a place I must already be at now.

- Wittgenstein.

6. luecy7

luecy7 New Member

Just drawing a line between virtue, principle, life, truth, path, or way, and the solo mental masturbation that many people would prefer, regardless of the religious variant that they claim. Do you think I drew the line in error?

7. A Cup Of Tea

I'll have to sit a bit with that one.

I don't have an opinion, I don't know the Tao yet, I just wanted to understand you clearly.
    I do enjoy mental masturbation though, it reveals complexities of life. It's not the same as living the path, perhaps, but I think we can do both, or just either, whatever brings meaning to our lives.

8. IowaGuy

IowaGuy Hunter-Gatherer

ACOT - have you ever read Robert Louis Stevenson's "El Dorado"? It's my favorite literature on focusing on the journey, not the destination...

9. A Cup Of Tea

I was planing to buy a nice lather bound collection of seven novels by Robert Louis Stevenson, but I just checked and El Dorado was not one of them, I'll just have to go to the library, thanks for the suggestion.

10. Etu Malku

Etu Malku Mercuræn

Do Nothing and Everything is Done!
    I understand both Taoism and Buddhism are concerned with atoning with the Natural Universe, both are Right Hand Paths. Extinguishing the Ego and becoming Selfless.

Would that be correct?

11. seattlegal

seattlegal Why do cows say mu?

Taoism has plenty of alchemical (what you would call left hand path) literature, like Secret of the Golden Flower, as well. It's more like being in tune with where ever you are or go.

12. Etu Malku

Etu Malku Mercuræn

I am quite fond of the Secret of the Golden Flower.

Jung became immersed in the study of medieval alchemy in order to provide a model for his own psychological theories, publishing ‘Psychology and Alchemy’ in 1944. His work is credited with directly leading to a revival of interest in this area of occult knowledge. He often emphasized the importance of the alchemist’s quest for the “philosopher’s stone”, which could transmute base metals into gold; a metaphor for the spiritual transformation of the self.

In alchemy, the philosopher’s stone resulted from the androgynous union of divine opposites (dark and light), and for Jung, like a cocoon and butterfly, was a symbol for the metamorphosis of higher self. Psychiatric analysis was a form of alchemy, he claimed, and each of the alchemist’s ingredients had a psychological equivalent. In this regard, iron was courageous and passionate, while tin was truthful and lofty. The element of Mercury, seen as the toxic, deceptive, transformative element which made the union of opposites possible, was by Jung’s definition, representative of the collective unconscious.

13. seattlegal

The Philosopher's Stone--I have a much different interpretation of that. {But that's a whole other debate!} :p

14. DrumR

DrumR New Member

Wow. This all sounds so interesting. I should like to join in as well. But where, oh where, does one begin?

15. DrumR

DrumR New Member

But really, SeattleGal, do you prefer apple cider, malt, or red wine vinegar?

16. DrumR

DrumR New Member

Greetings, A Cup Of Tea.
    Harmony is more the goal of studying the Tao than is Balance.
    Balance takes too much effort:).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  17. seattlegal

I can't resist strawberries with balsamic vinegar. :)

18. DrumR

DrumR New Member

Thank you for the favor of a reply Seattlegal.

You may rest assured that I shall not reduce your portion of same. In fact you may have any strawberries that are inadvertently placed upon my plate near the hot tub.

I Thank you also for posting the "Three Vinegar Tasters." It is a personal "always favorite."

19. DrumR

DrumR New Member

Greetings, A Cup of Tea.

To my mind you have two of three titles that I believe will help to understand portions of the Tao. I would suggest a third, the I Ching. These three, when taken together, help to paint a more complete picture of of an otherwise incomplete puzzle. Without the further expedient of putting the lessons to the experiential test, much of the Tao will remain elusive.

As from my previous message, Harmony is more to be sought for, from the Taoist perspective, than is balance. An examination of previous post threads, contained within the Tao section of these forums, may also prove of some use, further confusion, or both.;)

20. DrumR

DrumR New Member

Hrumph,:(
    I see your tortoise and raise it by a snail!:rolleyes: