What's For Dinner?

I "doctored up" some vegetarian vegetable soup with a little miso and a touch of gochujang, and accompanied that with a vegetarian smoked "turkey" sandwich (brown mustard, of course!) and reduced carb whole wheat bread, alcohol-free mimosa and the "usual" medications for dessert. :kitty: delegation had their "usual", doctored up with a bit of catnip as a treat.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I've got a big pot of beans boiling for soup.

The recipe is 'kale and bean soup', but I switched it from kale to spinach in hopes that @Snoopy will come over for lunch. After all those beans, I'll need someone to pull my finger.

I've got a big pot of beans boiling for soup.

The recipe is 'kale and bean soup', but I switched it from kale to spinach in hopes that @Snoopy will come over for lunch. After all those beans, I'll need someone to pull my finger.
Although I do indeed like spinach and would love to come over for lunch, I'm a little concerned about the likely size of the dining area.

I like casual. :)
I assure you there's nothing more casual than dining at my house...

I have a friend that I told to help herself to a piece of cake, but I had to go deal with one of the kids. I came back and she was eating it with her hands.

I assure you there's nothing more casual than dining at my house...

I have a friend that I told to help herself to a piece of cake, but I had to go deal with one of the kids. I came back and she was eating it with her hands.
Rather than her feet?

Ooh never heard of that. You made me look it up. I like spicy!
I was introduced to it by a South Korean classmate after she heard about my shenanigans with a glop of wasabi paste (freaked out my Japanese professor when she saw me eat it straight.) I have a couple of containers of gochujang that I use regularly in my cooking. Heck, there are several recipes for bibimbap that calls for gochujang!

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Dining area? You find an area clear of pets, push over the toys and sit. You can dine where ever you like!
The clearing of pets sounds familiar (The Trio will swipe at anyone who attempts to make them do anything they don't want to do [they don't need to bite anybody because they still have their full armament].)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Tonight's dinner was gazpacho with a vegetarian hot Italian sausage (the sausage was in a whole wheat hot dog bun and had some stoneground mustard drizzled over it,) homemade Earl Grey granita ((sweetened with stevia) and homemade watermelon agua fresca to go with my evening medications ("dessert".) The Trio had their ubiquitous crunchies/Milwaukee tap water. The only addition was a sprinkling of catnip (I fear that I'm spoiling them!)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I finally made homemade birria over the weekend. It is slow cooked ribs and roast along with tomatoes, onions, Mexican oregano, avacado leaves, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, and all sorts of non-spicy peppers (although I added some chili peppers to give it a kick). When everything is cooked you shred the meat. Tortillas are then dipped in the broth and fried with cheese and the shredded meat inside. It was definitely very good, but wow was it greasy. I've been told not to discard the grease, but I think in the future that I will separate the fat. In the end it tasted like a barbecued and friend taco. Not too bad!

I finally made homemade birria over the weekend. It is slow cooked ribs and roast along with tomatoes, onions, Mexican oregano, avacado leaves, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, and all sorts of non-spicy peppers (although I added some chili peppers to give it a kick). When everything is cooked you shred the meat. Tortillas are then dipped in the broth and fried with cheese and the shredded meat inside. It was definitely very good, but wow was it greasy. I've been told not to discard the grease, but I think in the future that I will separate the fat. In the end it tasted like a barbecued and friend taco. Not too bad!
Sounds really good!😋
The birria I am most familiar with is offered by a Mexican restaurant near me. They serve the broth alongside like an au jus. I don't know their process, but I can imagine they may well skim the fat off the top.

I had a mashup between a green goddess salad/Caprese salad/veggie melt sandwich on a multigrain mini sub roll and a scoop of salted caramel ice cream along with a reduced sugar Kitty cocktail (a combination of sugarfree white soda and marachino cherry juice over ice) and meds for dessert. :kitty: delegation had their crunchies and Milwaukee tap water from their fountains (as usual.) We "celebrated" Heat Awareness Day, which is why everything was kinda toned down.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Leftovers from American "National Hamburger Day" albeit they were vegetarian burgers instead of beef, fresh sliced tomatoes and Boston leaf lettuce all on whole wheat burger buns, :kitty: cocktail and Frose brand sorbet , all with my medications. :kitty: delegation got their crunchies and Milwaukee tap water (water from their fountains.)

I'm already planning tomorrow's dinner...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I didn't have anything. My husband brought home three cheese pasta from his job, and it made me feel yucky, so I skipped supper.

I didn't have anything. My husband brought home three cheese pasta from his job, and it made me feel yucky, so I skipped supper.
Did he have any himself? If so, did he feel "off"? Curiosity killed the :kitty: y'ken?

What helps me when I feel just a tad queasy is choppped fresh ginger (mint does nothing for me, but ginger cuts through the toughest nausea imho...)
Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Still feeling a bit off...

Someone else that ate some said it gave her the same feeling.

Back