What's For Dinner?

Dinner, let me think!
Oh, forget it.
Any way, it was forgettable except for 'parathas' (fried tortillas if someone does not know about it). They go well with lentil curry (Dal) and spicy Potato/Peas.
Though there were other things too, But I prefer just two to go with.

Raita? Lassi? Sweet and spicy pickled things? Onion kulcha? That green dip?
Parathas had fenugreek leaves mixed in the dough. That is an import in family food because of my Punjabi daughter-in-law. I am a sort of rustic eater. For me, even bread, onions and green chili would suffice. Yesterday's dinner for me was just the parathas and jaggery, I enjoyed it. Yeah, pickles - mango, kair (Capparis decidua) and flat beans, Mustard water with turnips, which I like; and lemon, which I do not like. The green dip (coriander) was there. After selecting my two things, I do not care about the rest.

I had a makeshift pilaf that included tinned apricots along with chopped onion, garlic tinned chopped Hatch peppers and Chinese five-spice blend. I also had some vegetarian bratwurst for a protein.

The complex had a free food box day Thursday, and the counters were piled with stuff (tinned apricots, tinned applesauce, tinned vegetarian vegetable soup, tinned vegetarian baked beans, cheese wedges, peanut butter, cold cereal up the wazzoo...) I'm planning on browsing the stuff to see what's there later on tonight or early tomorrow, perhaps making tomorrow's dinner from what I find, plus head to the grocery store.

:kitty: delegation had their crunchies along with tap water from their fountains.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Parathas had fenugreek leaves mixed in the dough.

To my taste buds that would be delicious!

Is it customary in the Punjab do make them like this, or just something your daughter in law does?

A salad made from tomatos, cucumbers, red onions, lemon juice, and small green lentils, plus a great big pizza sized spinach quiche which we cut up and shared.

To my taste buds that would be delicious!
Is it customary in the Punjab do make them like this, or just something your daughter in law does?
Customary in Punjab (on both sides of the border). Normally at breakfast, with Lassi.
I like parathas with finely-sliced radish better.
But my wife does not allow me parathas all the time because of the clarified butter (ghee) used in making it.

It's Superbowl Sunday. I do not participate in this but because my new husband does I feel Nachos will be a real treat.

My wife is 9 months pregnant and the only types of food that the baby will usually accept are Mexican and Indian food. But last week my wife started craving pizza with pickles on it. So now she wants me to make my cheeseburger pizza. It's my homemade pizza crust with marinera sauce, hamburger, onions, jalapenos, mozzarella and cheddar cheese, and pickles (added after baking). So that is what will be for dinner tomorrow.

No lettuce?

Sounds tasty, nevertheless.

And all the best wishes to your wife! Will it be your first child?

Pizza Margherita "cup" (a miniature pizza Margherita that was baked in a mjumbo muffin tin for portion control [there are more for future dinners]) along with fruit salad, Key Lime-infused sparkling water and medications. I picked up some chocolate-dipped strawberries for tomorrow along with strawberry cheesecake ice cream...

:kitty: delegation had tinned food and Milwaukee tap water from their fountains (as usual.) The only difference in their dinners were the little sleeves of pate the nearby pet store sells as treats (no, they don't sell live animals, just the supplies for the more common species.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

And all the best wishes to your wife! Will it be your first child?
Thank-you Cino. I adopted my wife's daughter, a beautiful girl who is disabled. So this is my first biological child, but I consider this to be my second child. I just have never been in the delivery room before, so this will be an experience!

Pregnancy is a special time. Indulge in whatever she likes (and there is not much time left for the event), and even after the birth of your child. Why do you need to be in delivery room? Let the doctors and staff take care of it. This is not done in India, but I have nothing against it.

Last edited:
Back