LGBTQ Rights and Society

When I was in High School, seems like 150 years ago now, there were 2 gay fellows that I knew of. Probably more, but gay folks didn't draw attention to themselves in those days. Despite that, the one fellow was rather flamboyant and that's putting it mildly. I mean, purple velvet hat complete with pink ostrich plume, the whole 9 yards! Everybody hated this guy. He was that obnoxious, in your face about it. Now the other fellow looked and acted like everyone else. Just a happy-go-lucky kid like the rest of us. Everyone knew he was gay, he didn't try to hide it or anything, but he never flaunted it either. Everyone loved him. He was just a fun guy to hang out with.

Bah, some people flaunt their wealth, or their knowledge, or their social class, or their physical prowess, or their body shape, or the tone of their voice... we're a species that can exhibit this behavior. It's part of our social glue, it plays a role in our decisions regarding whom to associate with, whom to follow, whom to avoid... we do it all the time.

Personally, I like it when social norms are challenged now and then, it keeps society from becoming inert and petrified. When I was young...nger, my corner of society was busy flaunting our disregard of the norms - we had colorful mohawks, nonstandard jewelry, non-standard relationship styles, and torn, mismatched clothes.

That said, there are in any population always some who will use any opportunity to be obnixious just for the sake of it. That is not tied to any particular type of sexuality or gender identification, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Bah, some people flaunt their wealth, or their knowledge, or their social class, or their physical prowess, or their body shape, or the tone of their voice... we're a species that can exhibit this behavior. It's part of our social glue, it plays a role in our decisions regarding whom to associate with, whom to follow, whom to avoid... we do it all the time.
Traditional Hindusim does not like any kind of flaunting. It was always difficult to judge the wealth of a businessman by his appearance or clothes, because there was no tradition of showing off. Of course, women would be decked with jewelry in marriage functions, that serves some purpose (for future marriage relationships). :)

Last edited:
Back