Hate

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by juantoo3, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

Hate is a complicated thing, many moving parts, many dependencies. It is a human thing, and we humans are complicated.

Example: even when I do hate something or someone, I can still love something or someone else. Even crazier, I can hate someone's ideas and still have a soft spot for the person in my heart. Take my nickname here - I learned about the historical Cino (a contemporary of Dante) from a poem by Ezra Pound, who was a frothing nutcase fan of the Italian fascist leader Mussolini (whose ideology I hate). But his poetry evokes something tender in me. Go figure.

So I don't think it is a stark either/or, "universal love or universal hatred, nothing in between".

That kind of oversimplification is not a mark of wisdom in my eyes.

Arif Ghamiq likes this.
  2. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

In fact if I remember the thread, it was a very superior theosophist determined to force his ideas on you in an extremely rude and arrogant manner, and you patiently and politely and learnedly having none of it, lol?

Great fun ...

EDIT
    Perhaps @Beautiful can unearth the thread again? For new discussion?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 3:37 PM
  3. Arif Ghamiq

Arif Ghamiq Active Member

Love - as I've said before - seems to have been deified by many for a long time, while Hate has been demonized. As has been done with Life & Death - Light & Darkness.

I agree with Cino that its not as simple as that. The idea Love is always good & Hate is always bad is false imo and reminds me of a passage from Qur'an 2:216

"It may be that you hate a thing that is good for you; and it may be that you love a thing that is bad for you. And Allah Knows, while you know not."

If one can believe that loving someone or something can sometimes be a bad thing - damaging & toxic - could that one consider that hating someone or something can sometimes be a good thing ? - healing & pure ?

Is Hate absolutely evil ?
    Never having any benefit ever ??

And is Love absolutely good?
    Never harmful ever ?

StevePame, Thomas and RJM Corbet like this.
  4. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

Love in the ultimate sense is the glue that holds everything together, imo. Nature is like just one of perhaps infinite different rooms contained and surrounded and permeated by the greater house of spirit.

The room of nature is contained by walls of time/space. The house of spirit is contained by love. The greater wheel of Spirit turns the lesser wheel of nature, but is not turned by it.

All is truly one, like parts of a body. But a finger cannot know that. Only the overseeing brain really knows that. Love is the fact of spirit. It is not a warm emotion. It is far beyind our comprehension? Imo

And what lies outside the dimension/house of spirit? That is far beyond anything a human being could even begin to understand?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 6:09 PM
    Thomas likes this.