CORONA VIRUS

Are you relatively healthy or can't go to the doctors (if you needed to)?

Oh, I can't afford to go to the doctors. Actually, even with insurance, just going to the psychiatrist forced me to go to the food pantry a lot when I first started my visits. Luckily, I'm on medication that works and only have to schedule an appointment if I feel like I need a refill or a change in my prescription, so I don't have to resort to going to the food pantry as much.

They're not. It's not the black plague. It depends on a person's overall health and other factors. Do you believe more people are in the hospital than there are those who are not? Shouldn't we put numbers in perspective?
Umm...er...yes their are. There are hospitals.turming people away because they are flooded.with covid.

I am almost.positive you have internet access?

Yes, it is old people with comorbidities dying...and yes.they get covid and their age and pre.existing conditions are a factor. But if someone walked into a nursing home and shot the patients...would you say they died from heart disease? Old age? Arthritis? Or would you think it was the bullet (covid)?

luckily it has not taken off...they say it needs to mutate to become more infectious...but it is incredibly deadly.

I prefer the normal.evolution of bugs...they mutate to something mundane enough too be and thrive every winter...tney dont want to kill the host...or.they cant prosper....omicron being the avenue towards endemic...hopefully neoCov dies on the vine.

Excessive covid restrictions have done 1000 times more damage the disease itself. Children are starting at middle school unable to read. The tourist and travel industries have been decimated. Governments have incurred excessive debt that it will take decades to recover from.

Hundreds of thousands of people are dying from cancer and heart disease and diabetes etc, which in fact contribute most to the touted 'excess deaths against 5-year average' figure.

It's very difficult to see a doctor in person, and dental treatment has become a thing of the past.

The aim of these restrictions from the beginning was to flatten out the curve, to avoid excessive peak pressure on the health systems. This has been forgotten.

Imo

Excessive covid restrictions have done 1000 times more damage the disease itself.
Errr .. if it wasn't for the seriousness of the disease, we wouldn't have seen health services around the world overpowered.
Unfortunately, measures that were needed to combat the disease [lockdowns etc.], have their "side effects".
I know all about side-effects. I have been living with them for years.

The aim of these restrictions from the beginning was to flatten out the curve, to avoid excessive peak pressure on the health systems. This has been forgotten.
They haven't been forgotten by everybody. This is precisely why the UK govt. has dropped the mandates that were introduced in December 2021.
Political wrangling always goes on. Some claim it's too early or too late bla bla..

For the sake of balance:
Hundreds of thousands of people are dying from cancer and heart disease and diabetes etc, which in fact contribute most to the touted 'excess deaths against 5-year average' figure.
On the other hand ...

If there had been no pandemic, the health service would not have been overwhelmed. It was. It's been run down for decades, and now we are where we are, but – If there had been no pandemic, then those who died would have been in line with the annual average, there would be no spike.

There are people with cancers, diabetes, asthma and other health issues who would still be alive and living useful and productive lives if they hadn't caught Covid. You can't say their conditions killed them, because their conditions are manageable.

There are those who have died because they missed hospital treatments. All the way through, the programme has been to alleviate pressure on hospitals. Even today, in the UK, ICU wards are mostly unvaccinated people, whereas the hospitalised vaccinated need less medical intervention.

And so here we are today ... ICUs are still overloaded and at stretch, even with the vaccine, and people continue to die, but the prognosis would be worse without the vaccine.

I do not understand resistance to the vaccinate. I don't know of side effects? Death-by-vaccine? And does the risk outweigh the risk of Covid?

And for God's sake wear a mask. You don't sneeze in people's faces. This is just a step higher, I cannot see what all the fuss is about.

(OK, that last bit was a bit out-of-balance)

Who is to decide between very ill people dying, mostly past life expectancy – and the lives of young people, their education and their careers? Childrens' education has been very seriously affected. What's the balance between hundreds of thousands of people losing their business and means of livelihood, and the covid health/death demographic? This includes members of my own family in the travel business bankrupted and forced to take work as carers, etc.

There is a separate thread about vaxx.

The original justification for these restrictions was to protect health services from overload. For a few weeks. The overall effect, over two years, has been to cause far worse damage to people who are not health workers, or not susceptible to covid. It's bad enough without making it worse than it is.

The covid death demographic no longer justifies shutting down the world and ruining young and working lives to protect those past life expectancy. God bless them, but people who are afraid of getting covid are able to self-isolate from society, society should not have to isolate to protect them. The aim was to protect health services from overload in the beginning – two years ago.

Countries like New Zealand are forcing a 24 day self-isolation on those testing positive, whether symptomatic or not. It's complete madness. It has gone far beyond the original remit to shield health services from the peak. There is no longer a shred of justification for further restrictions, after two years.

imo

Last edited:
It is what it is. Politicians have to be seen to be doing the right thing. But it is completely wrong to exaggerate the health effects of covid while minimising the far worse effects of the restrictions on young and working age people.

No more from me ...

Umm...er...yes their are. There are hospitals.turming people away because they are flooded.with covid.

I am almost.positive you have internet access?

Yes, it is old people with comorbidities dying...and yes.they get covid and their age and pre.existing conditions are a factor. But if someone walked into a nursing home and shot the patients...would you say they died from heart disease? Old age? Arthritis? Or would you think it was the bullet (covid)?

luckily it has not taken off...they say it needs to mutate to become more infectious...but it is incredibly deadly.

I prefer the normal.evolution of bugs...they mutate to something mundane enough too be and thrive every winter...tney dont want to kill the host...or.they cant prosper....omicron being the avenue towards endemic...hopefully neoCov dies on the vine.

I mean literally. They are not. Unless there are more people in the hospital than they are not I think it's best to keep numbers in perspective (as well as what media tells people).

I keep up daily but I don't personalize everything I am told. They found another variant after omicron. They keep finding variants in such a small time period it makes me a little suspicious.

I'm not sure of other countries because the smaller the population the more we can study the damage and urgency thereof.

I mean why would you automatically believe you're asymptomatic cause they tell you millions of people died of COVID in the world?

I'd look more to my situation, health, and things of that nature not the news.

I'm not downplaying COVID I just don't have the level of urgency unless I see people dropping dead in front of me or growing another head.

Errr .. if it wasn't for the seriousness of the disease, we wouldn't have seen health services around the world overpowered.
Unfortunately, measures that were needed to combat the disease [lockdowns etc.], have their "side effects".
I know all about side-effects. I have been living with them for years.

They haven't been forgotten by everybody. This is precisely why the UK govt. has dropped the mandates that were introduced in December 2021.
Political wrangling always goes on. Some claim it's too early or too late bla bla..

What was the purpose of lock downs? If viruses slowed or disappeared because of isolation we would have done that successfully with all former viruses. That and whoever has the virus would just be spreading it inside their living environment which is worse than going to the store and not standing within twenty feet from a person but still needs to wear a mask.

What was the purpose of lock downs? If viruses slowed or disappeared because of isolation we would have done that successfully with all former viruses. That and whoever has the virus would just be spreading it inside their living environment which is worse than going to the store and not standing within twenty feet from a person but still needs to wear a mask.
We are all lay people, please posit your argument with your doctor or neighborhood epidemiologist.

We do isolate when we are sick...if we are compassionate humans. You can look to China or New Zealand to see what really isolating does...(ww totally half assed it in the US)

We are all lay people, please posit your argument with your doctor or neighborhood epidemiologist.

We do isolate when we are sick...if we are compassionate humans. You can look to China or New Zealand to see what really isolating does...(ww totally half assed it in the US)

The virus spreads in close contact. That's not the same as being more than twenty feet from someone and still wearing a mask.

A doctor will tell you close contact spreads viruses. Lock downs with people who have the virus just made matters worse.

Unless you mean solo isolation like they do with patients with low functioning immune systems I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with?

Not everyone lives alone.

It depends on if people in China and NZ lived alone and how they catch it. China has more population than the states so in a sense that would make sense. The US is huge. But not all live alone. Lock downs would work if we knew people had the virus and couldn't spread it to others. But if lock downs were successful we would not be in this problem. I feel it just made it worse.

Lock downs could be a knee jerk reaction or a way for the government to organize without a panic, I dont know.

Last edited:
Lock downs could be a knee jerk reaction or a way for the government to organize without a panic, I dont know.
You can't claim that lockdowns aren't an effective way of helping to stop the spread of viruses.

Viruses can't be eliminated, clearly .. but that is a separate issue.
We have to do what we have to do.
Nobody is saying that public health measures should continue indefinitely, as far as I'm aware.

You can't claim that lockdowns aren't an effective way of helping to stop the spread of viruses.

Viruses can't be eliminated, clearly .. but that is a separate issue.
We have to do what we have to do.
Nobody is saying that public health measures should continue indefinitely, as far as I'm aware.

They're effective if infected people are isolated. However, many people live with other people. Spreading still exists (and we have evidence of it) despite the kick downs. It's A solution but depending on circumstances not too effective.

Viruses spread indoors more than outdoors given it's a smaller environment. Unless people are up on each other, I just feel it's what we could do at the time but seeing we still got cases not very successful.

I don't know about indefinitely. Though do you think the virus will go if we have lock downs again?

It seems like the virus will be here to stay for a good while.

I can only share my opinions really.

IMHO, half-hearted lock-downs do not work. If it is a lock-down it should be complete.
What happens now in India is that people coming in from other countries who are detected with the virus are asked to go into home isolation. While traveling from airport to home they come in contact with other people and even while at home they do not observe complete isolation. So, the very purpose of isolation is defeated.
China tries to do it completely, although they also have not succeeded completely. But the figures (if they are to be believed) tell the story.

Country Population Infections Deaths
China 1450 million 106,073 4,636
India 1400 million 41,266,000 495,002
US Death score is 907,190
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?q#countries

Found out about this just today:

I'm keeping up-to-date on my vaccinations for my loved ones (all wearing fut from their noses to their toes/tails) aka: the :kitty: delegation.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Just found out that my friend that works at the Mayo Clinic will be getting an unexpected "vacation" from both his paid employment and taking care of his dad. He tested positive for COVID, and his dad is definitely in the vulnerable po[pulation.

Before anyone asks, he (my friend) is fully vaccinated and he's been wearing masks both at work and when he goes out.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Tis the season! The combination of general apathy and malaise with the winter coming, sickness and death will be on the uptick again.

Most of the supervulnerable have died, for most of us the pandemic has become tolerable, the weakened variants have decreased severity and we have meds for those that become symptomatic.

It ain't endemic yet, that may take a couple more winters. I have avoided it, but in the past 6 months prolly know 5x the number of people that caught it vs the first two years. In our area mask use has dwindled unless venues require, and in the middle of the country they are ritually non existent and you get looked at crosswise walking into a convenience store with one on.

I have done alot of traveling and camping this year, outside I distance inside I mask, and I don't go in crowded low ceiling buildings. I go to matinees at 1pm to theaters with upgraded ventilation and the crowdedest theater had 6 other patrons.

Those of us that have yet to get it are getting few...and those with long covid complications increasing

Stay safe friends

Back