How did you choose?

I was born a Christian, but I have recently strayed from that religon. I have decided to be open to all religons and philosiphies, but I will only beleive what can be proven to me. Buddhism is my favorite religion, it is so open minded compassionate, and open to other reliogions. But I don't see myself ever being a fully fleged Buddhist. I think religions often divide people needlessly, and that people should put aside their differences and search for spiritual and moral truth together.

Quahom1 said:
Interesting thread.

Like Postmaster, I was born into mine. But they tried to stuff so much of it down my throat as a youngster, and "chastised" me (to put it mildly), for asking questions, that I threw it away. (think of the 1950s and 60s mentality). I kept the very base core of it though, because inside I believed that part to be true. Then over the years, I learned to defend myself against overzealous preachers, when I asked questions. I must admit I was a stone wall when they tried to put me in my place. But then they started to answer me, sometimes with crystal clarity, sometimes with muddied water, and sometimes with an "I just don't know". That's when I realized that my religion was acceptable to me. There is beauty in it I haven't found anywhere else. Some of it I take with a grain of salt, or blow off completely, but most of it holds a truth that strikes a resonate chord within.

Religion though I find is like sand in one's hand...hold it with flat palms and the wind will wick it away, squeeze it in fists and it just sifts through the fingers. Cup it easy, and the whole of it remains.

my two cents.

v/r

Q
i feel really lucky because it was never crammed down my throat. I come from a church of only about 900 people, but they really did teach us spiritual matters with every day living and principles because the people and leaders really care and not just give us bull...and like you say the CORE is what really matters most. I would not trade the bible or Jesus for anything because they have never failed me.

I didnt choose. I was born into a family that was Southern Baptist. Then through trials and tribulations where I questioned everything. Dabbled in everything from Hinduism and Budhism to full fledged Demonology and all forms of occultic stuff. Then one day when the whole world was as bleak as it could get and I was basically staring death in the face. I felt a little knock and basically felt Jesus asking if I was ready to let him come back. And I will admit as soon as I let him back in control. I have been blessed in numerous ways and have honestly not felt any fears or doubts since that day.

See you guys where brought up with a relgion and you stuck to it eventually because your so used to it. But I don't have anything to go by at all XD oh joy.

Well, in my case, I was brought up in one, switched later, and am still wandering around looking for the best fit... you're not alone, Geist. My suggestion is go with your beliefs of what is right & correct, and look for something that fits.

hello everyone i am new here and just going through the topics of discussion and came across this.

i believe you should have to pick a religion as this world is only temporary and everyone dies at a certain age.

looking for the correct religion you need to seek and understand which religion is of truth and also act upon it.

purity said:
hello everyone i am new here and just going through the topics of discussion and came across this.

i believe you should have to pick a religion as this world is only temporary and everyone dies at a certain age.

looking for the correct religion you need to seek and understand which religion is of truth and also act upon it.
Hi Purity! And welcome to CR! ;)

v/r

Q

Geist said:
See you guys where brought up with a relgion and you stuck to it eventually because your so used to it. But I don't have anything to go by at all XD oh joy.
Hey Geist,

I think Bruce, Bandit and I were brought up in a "faith", the "religion" part is like the car we choose to drive. The "faith" part is that we drive a car. We believe in one God. (somebody slap me silly if I'm wrong).

Why, do you want to have something to go by? Just curious...

v/r

Q

Geist said:
it has nothing to do with me being used to it. it is tried and true and religion has nothing to do with it. some feel thay have to seek out every man made religion ever made only to end up still feeling lost.
dont think i did not do my share of testing waters and running to and fro in this old world, but sertainly not putting trust in religioso madn made doctrine.
i consider myself very fortunate that i got what i got:)
i dont need to light candles and sit on pillows.

depends on what you are looking for Geist.

its God, Jesus and the Bible or bust for me:D .

Quahom1 said:
Hey Geist,

I think Bruce, Bandit and I were brought up in a "faith", the "religion" part is like the car we choose to drive. The "faith" part is that we drive a car. We believe in one God. (somebody slap me silly if I'm wrong).

v/r

Q
that sounds about right Q:) One Lord, One faith and One baptism

StarshipEnterprise said:
I will only beleive what can be proven to me.
Im afraid if this is really true then you will never truly have religion.

I was raised a Catholic but abandoned it at the age of 15 saying exactly what you say, if there is no proof I will not believe it. At 22 I discovered Buddhism after watching a film, becoming curious and reading some books. I then went to speak to a monk (whom I also believe to be the emination of a Buddha) named Kelsang Wangyal who explained buddhism to me in detail and recommended other books for me to read. I believed that the books and the conversations did prove the truth of buddhism.

However, when I explained these proofs to my friends they pointed out how flawed the explanations were and I saw that they were right. This is when I realised that no religion can ever be proved, but some of us lucky ones find a religion which simply feels right. I know in my heart that the teachings of Buddhism are true.

I hope Mr Enterprise that one day you too will find this to be true.

That was beautiful, Awaiting the fifth. I agree 100%.

No one can really tell you what to believe in. Especially if you are searching for the truth that lies in you. I live in a Christian environment. It is the teachings of Jesus that curbed my once destructive lifestyle. But each religion will claim to be the true religion - if not, well, perhaps they will loose their space in the religion hall of fame. There are some Buddhist philosophies that have given me comfort where Christianity couldn't. I don't indulge in denominations of Christianity because the Bible is a whole doctrine. And I don't think that it is good for Christianity to stray as much as it has from Judaism.

But as you can see, that is the truth as I understand it. And just because there is no Christian church that believes as I do doesn't mean that I have no place in worship. Your walk begins with one foot in front of the other - proving that faith is exercised through works. Humankind's beliefs are more in common than we care to say. Some just elaborate on some things more than others.

Quahom1 said:
Hey Geist,

Because I want to belong somewhere. At the moment I feel like some unwanted thing thats been thrown away and has been left in the cold harsh winter.

StarshipEnterprise said:
I will only believe in what can be proven to me

You won't get far with religions thinking like this. Relgion is about believing in something that may not be able to prove itself to you fully. Its like love you can't prove that what your feeling is love you just know you love that person.

I decided not to choose. I am a "path of one."

I was raised to be open-minded and trust my own experience of God for my faith. My mother primarily raised me and is essentially a mystic. I was free to go to any church I wanted to look into, free to read any religious texts I chose, and free to worship God in whatever ways to which I felt called. I was always encouraged to question all authority and to develop a personal relationship with the Divine above trying to fit in socially.

Even so, I tried for years to fit in here or there, especially since many of my friends were in various Christian denominations. It was hard to feel like I didn't fit in anywhere, but I can't help but be honest with myself, and I don't fit in. This does not mean that I do not have a relatively organized, though constantly evolving, belief sytem or that I do not have faith in my God, which is for me primarily based on my experience of the Divine. I am a scholar at heart, and having been in cultural anthropology for about eight years now, I am also keenly interested in the diversity of religious experience out there. I combine a broad reading of sacred texts, mythology, and scientific works, as well as discussions with people of all spiritual paths, with my own mysticism, meditation, and prayer in order to develop my own personal belief system. Parts fit in with certain organized religions rather well, other parts don't. I'm learning not to worry about it. Everyone's personalities are different, and so the needs they have will also differ. Most humans are inherently social and so they feel most comfortable in some kind of socially organized religion, even if it is a loosely organized one. Ritual is really important to a lot of people. They find a path that meets those needs, as well as fitting with a view of the supernatural that makes sense to them. I've come to see my social needs as separate from my spiritual needs, and so I enjoy learning from others' perspectives on spiritual matters but I don't feel the need to find a place to "belong" anymore. I've always been nature-oriented and not much into ritual (outside of finding it interesting as human behavior), so I have accepted that the spiritual path that works for me is personal study and unstructured worship, out in the great cathedral of Creation, in utter freedom to experience and express the Divine in whatever way comes to me.

It may be uncomfortable for you right now to not belong, to be in an in-between place, but no doubt you will grow during this time and perhaps find a set of beliefs that match those of others out there, or at least a place in which you feel you receive the fellowship you desire. It is admirable to be in a space that is reflective, and as Jesus said (to paraphrase)- if you seek, undoubtedly you will find.

Geist said:

Because I want to belong somewhere. At the moment I feel like some unwanted thing thats been thrown away and has been left in the cold harsh winter.

Geist, I don't have any simple answers for you, but you are not abandoned or unwanted and you are not alone. For me community is an important part of religion. Sometimes I give, sometimes I receive, but it's good either way. You can belong somewhere without understanding or agreeing 100% in a dogma or whatever. Find a place near where you live and visit. Doesn't feel right, try another place. God allows us to start where we are and expects that we will change as we need to. I hope you find that peace you are looking for.

lunamoth

lunamoth said:
Find a place near where you live and visit. Doesn't feel right, try another place. God allows us to start where we are and expects that we will change as we need to. I hope you find that peace you are looking for.
I've tried being christian it didn't work for me so please I'd apresiate it if you would not tell me God will help me because he doesn't. He sits on his arse and looks on like the world is a big film.

As for places I like being heres a list:

On my computer
Engroast in a good book

God does not exist only within Christianity. God exists in many other religions. If you don't feel like being God-centered, well, there's Buddhism. I think Buddhists feel more control over their lives versus the God-centered religions that believe in giving God control or those that believe in fate.

Geist,

What I'm hearing is at least one idea has been presented and I'll present the other. They are:

Spirituality from above.

Spirituality from below.

Spirituality from above would mean trying to find that spiritual connection, opening yourself to some Higher Power to see if S/He can help, whether that be through prayer, meditation, attending worship services, whatever.

Spirituality from below, this is the self-empowering choice to "act as if." Right now you're in flux and you don't know what to believe in. So put that on the back burner. Forget about it. It's not important right now. Help the poor. Visit the elderly. Find a cause that matters to you and dedicate yourself to it. Spirituality from above might come later. But spirituality from below is what really makes a difference in this world.

Serj wrote something about only going for spirituality from above. He compared it to an acid trip, like getting high. It's meaningless without spirituality from below. From below, that's what gives life real tangible meaning.

Dauer

dauer said:
Serj wrote something about only going for spirituality from above. He compared it to an acid trip, like getting high. It's meaningless without spirituality from below. From below, that's what gives life real tangible meaning.
Who's Serj??

Geist said:
Who's Serj??

Serj Tankien, the vocalist from Soad, the band you have quoted in your signature. The song is suite-pee.

He wasn't the first person to say it, but I thought you'd be more familiar with him.

Back