Applied Anthropology

Discussion in 'Ancient History and Mythology' started by juantoo3, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Quahom1

Quahom1 What was the question?

Lol, It isn't my "version". It is taken from various articles in the Science fields. So much for science, eh?

2. flowperson

flowperson Oannes

Q...Scientific findings only stand upon their own merit and reproducibility by others. That's why there's so much conflict in science. A prime example would be the emerging conscensus on the reality of global warming. Oh, there are those who still deny the reality of it, but clarity on the issue is emerging in our lifetime. But in this particular case it has taken thirty five years of observation, study, and noticing the emergent patterns in the data to get to this point in time.

Genetics and Archaeology/Anthropology are just so much different . In the study of Genetics, even scientists will readily admit that we are only scratching the hide of the elephant, without even knowing that what we're dealing with IS an elephant. Archaeology/Anthropology findings are mostly based upon interpretive opinions concerning locales and artifacts, and it is rare when global opinion converges on something like, say, the importance to culture in the past and now of the pyramids of the sun and moon near Mexico City.

We both stated opinions on the limited information that we cited, which are the opinions of scientists. We are not scientists. We are speculating, and trying to extend understanding of the studies beyond that which was intended by those who wrote the studies. Certain patterns based on the information are evident only to us, for the purposes of this discussion. For instance, I find it interesting and fascinating that the female oriented artifacts and skeletal remains found at Dolni Vestonice show noteworthy distortions of form on the left side of their bodies. That makes me go "huh?".

In my case I only stated that my beliefs are that the Dolni Vestonice data suggest a pattern for some of the emergent beliefs of Europeans as far back as 26,000 years ago. That's all there is to it for now. Let's just leave it there, but I'm sure that you may find it necessary to have the last word. There is no winning or losing in these exercises, only the possibility of reaching the goal of conscensus. That's when science really begins to have meaning for us all.

So be it.

flow....:rolleyes:

3. Quahom1

Quahom1 What was the question?

Indeed.

4. juantoo3

juantoo3 ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb

Kindest Regards, Flow!
    Thank you very much for the link. I had stumbled across this site a time or two earlier looking for photos, and hadn't taken the time to look at it more closely. He has brought together a very diverse collection of paleolithic material. Thank you very much for the reminder. :)

5. Tao_Equus

Tao_Equus Interfaith Forums

This link is only live for next 5 days and is to a fictional bbc TV production that I saw the other night. I add it not really because its that relevant but for entertainment only. Its main topic is anthropology tho.

BBC - BBC iPlayer - Programme Information - Fairytales

6. juantoo3

A rather interesting program on NOVA last night updating some of the research into hominid brain development...what separates humans from other apes? The program is titled: Ape Genius

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/apegenius/human.htm

NOVA | Ape Genius | What Makes Us Human? | PBS

-emphasis mine
    NOVA | Ape Genius | The Ape That Teaches | PBS

7. juantoo3

Stone Age Graveyard | Online NewsHour | August 14, 2008 | PBS

Stone Age burial ground in the Sahara desert, two distinct "types" of humans dating from 6 and 10 thousand years ago. Also notes climate change in North Africa, global warming isn't just from human activities and is "normal" part of the geologic process.

Green Sahara — National Geographic Magazine

Paul Serano, Gobero Preserve, Niger

Dinosaur Expedition 2003 :: Paul Sereno's Dinosaur Expedition to The Sahara Desert in Niger Africa

People of the Green Sahara home page

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  8. juantoo3

9. juantoo3

NOVA | Ape Genius | Watch the Program | PBS

Ape Genius...link to a very enlightening NOVA program regarding ape psychology and the differences between human and ape psychology.

Seems I've mentioned this before, but it is well worth mentioning again.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  10. juantoo3

Mice from stem cells

Chinese Scientists Reprogram Cells to Create Mice - WSJ.com

This raises implications of made-to-order humans, for everything from spare parts to super-soldiers to slaves...

11. juantoo3

12. juantoo3

13. China Cat Sunflower

China Cat Sunflower Nimrod

Hey Juan, have you read Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond? It was also a miniseries on PBS I think. Highly recommended!

Chris

14. juantoo3

bump so I can find

15. juantoo3

16. juantoo3

Ancient Migration: Coming to America
    http://www.nature.com/news/ancient-migration-coming-to-america-1.10562

and

emphasis mine, -jt3

17. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Interesting, haven't read it all yet but Wasn't there some red headed man that was discovered and covered up?

18. juantoo3

Not sure which find you are referring to?

The only that comes to mind is Kennewick Man:

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...-native-tribes-continue-fight-reburial-160780

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...-inslee-turn-kennewick-man-over-tribes-160848

Not so much a cover up as cultural superiority complex and politics being used by local scientists to force their way on the local Native tribes. I had lost track of the story, but I saw something the other night where dna was extracted from a tooth of Kennewick Man and discovered that he indeed shared more in common with the local Native Americans than with the "Viking" or Ainu he was supposed to be closer in relation to. Previous assumptions were based on skull shape, which apparently for ancient finds is not nearly as accurate as it has been portrayed regarding more recent cadavers (murder victims, etc.).

Interesting story all around, looks like the Ancient One will finally be repatriated and given a proper burial by the local tribes afterall.

19. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

I am SO glad that stupid land bridge theory has finally bit the dust. It never made a bit of sense to me. But as you say this theory was unassailable and any evidence to the contrary was ignored & disparaged. Not one of science's better moments.

20. juantoo3

In my experience that is typical to how science operates due to internal politics.

But then I've been saying that all along...the whole "science changes" line fails to note the internal politics that entrenches dogma and refuses to yield to conflicting evidence...even to the point of threatening to ruin careers.

But what do I know? I'm just a dumbass.